PDA

View Full Version : Coach K makes a plea to Crazies

MonitorMom
02-28-2009, 06:12 PM
In the locker room in Blacksburg Coach K just made an appeal:

"Tuesday we need an Old Fashion Cameron. We need a hungry Cameron. We need a Cameron that's worthy of the last game at home for this team. Not that our fans haven't been great, but we need everyone to come out and give these guys what they deserve."

He went on to talk about the short time in between games, how the guys have to go to classes, do homework, travel, practise...reminding everyone that what they've done over the last week is, "pretty darn special."

Cameron
02-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Please excuse my ignorance, but you are?

Or was this hypothetical and I'm thinking way too hard about it?

MonitorMom
02-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Just heard it on the Goduke Locker room talk by Coach K and thought it might be helpful to pass along...but perhaps ....

weezie
02-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Tell Coach K that I'll be there and ready to rumble. Gotta give Paulus and McClure some huge love!!

FireOgilvie
02-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Just heard it on the Goduke Locker room talk by Coach K and thought it might be helpful to pass along...but perhaps ....

Thanks for passing along the message. I appreciate it. I wish I was back at Duke for the next one.

geraldsneighbor
02-28-2009, 06:31 PM
It'll be emotional for Greg on Tuesday. I know it'll be weird for me at least hearing for the last time, "At guard a 6-1 Senior from Syracuse, NY."

Bluedog
02-28-2009, 06:32 PM
It's the senior game so it will certainly be full (unless 1/2 of the non-TV side seats go to football recruits as occurred a few years ago...) But my impression is that usually the crowd isn't as great for senior games because certain seniors who have never been to a game finally decide to go to the last one (and get the best seats). And, it takes practice to be loud sometimes...;) I could be off base, but that's been my impression.

throatybeard
02-28-2009, 06:47 PM
It's the senior game so it will certainly be full (unless 1/2 of the non-TV side seats go to football recruits as occurred a few years ago...) But my impression is that usually the crowd isn't as great for senior games because certain seniors who have never been to a game finally decide to go to the last one (and get the best seats). And, it takes practice to be loud sometimes...;) I could be off base, but that's been my impression.

There has often been a difference between Senior Day for the team, and Senior Day for the kids in line. The former is always the last home game. The practice of letting seniors enter the stands first has usually been a different game, but it varies from year to year. Sometimes it's the penultimate game, sometimes the antepenultimate game.

I don't know what they're doing this year. Maybe a line monitor could shed some light.

dukegirlinsc
02-28-2009, 06:48 PM
I hope he didn't lift any chairs. :cool:

Bluedog
02-28-2009, 06:53 PM
There has often been a difference between Senior Day for the team, and Senior Day for the kids in line. The former is always the last home game. The practice of letting seniors enter the stands first has usually been a different game, but it varies from year to year. Sometimes it's the penultimate game, sometimes the antepenultimate game.

I don't know what they're doing this year. Maybe a line monitor could shed some light.

FSU is the senior game for both the team and students in line.

Here is the policy:

http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2009/02/27/Letters/Policy.For.Senior.Game.Wristbands-3652938.shtml

700 seniors doesn't sound overwhelming. I thought in the past that it was a larger number. So, I'd expect a good crowd and don't think there should be a noticeable difference.

DukeFencer
02-28-2009, 06:56 PM

It's very consistent - for the CRAZIES it's the last home game that is NOT Carolina.

For the players it is simply the last home game.

They do at least let 150 students in before letting in the seniors with senior wristbands so that the front is filled with hard-core Crazies (that's not to say that seniors can't be in the initial line), followed by the up to 700 seniors with wristbands, followed by the rest of the students in line.

throatybeard
02-28-2009, 07:27 PM
It's very consistent - for the CRAZIES it's the last home game that is NOT Carolina.

For the players it is simply the last home game.

They do at least let 150 students in before letting in the seniors with senior wristbands so that the front is filled with hard-core Crazies (that's not to say that seniors can't be in the initial line), followed by the up to 700 seniors with wristbands, followed by the rest of the students in line.

It has moved around some. I'm no expert on 2005-, but my senior year in 1998, it was the antepenultimate game, Wake Forest, not the penultimate game, UCLA. And that was a Carolina-last year.

dukeman28428
02-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Come early on Tuesday and be prepared to make this the loudest Cameron has been all season. FSU has a good team and we had better be ready. Please don't let our senoirs and team down and come with lot's of energy.

GO DUKE

msdukie
02-28-2009, 08:08 PM
It'll be emotional for Greg on Tuesday. I know it'll be weird for me at least hearing for the last time, "At guard a 6-1 Senior from Syracuse, NY."

It would be even weirder if players were introduced with positions in Cameron. ;)

msdukie
02-28-2009, 08:16 PM
FSU is the senior game for both the team and students in line.

Here is the policy:

http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2009/02/27/Letters/Policy.For.Senior.Game.Wristbands-3652938.shtml

700 seniors doesn't sound overwhelming. I thought in the past that it was a larger number. So, I'd expect a good crowd and don't think there should be a noticeable difference.

We really need to get rid of "Senior Game" (not to be confused with "Senior Day") - the only purpose it has ever seemed to serve is to reward seniors who would otherwise not bother to make the effort to be Crazies/get good seats on their own. As a result, it has frequently resulted in less than spectacular crowds, hence why Carolina is never a "Senior Game." This policy should be rethought.

On that note, the policy of having the VIPs in the blue seats under the basket when the visiting team is shooting free throws versus having band/crazies behind the basket was poorly thought and should be reconsidered.

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Please excuse my ignorance, but you are?

Or was this hypothetical and I'm thinking way too hard about it?

Yes, you are thinking WAY too hard about it. Welcome, Monitor Mom
Bless your heart.'
Love, Ima

Cavlaw
02-28-2009, 08:23 PM
I'll be at the game, if I can find tickets when I'm down there, and will let loose in wild fashion to cheer on the team.

The Gordog
02-28-2009, 08:28 PM
We really need to get rid of "Senior Game" (not to be confused with "Senior Day") - the only purpose it has ever seemed to serve is to reward seniors who would otherwise not bother to make the effort to be Crazies/get good seats on their own. As a result, it has frequently resulted in less than spectacular crowds, hence why Carolina is never a "Senior Game." This policy should be rethought.

On that note, the policy of having the VIPs in the blue seats under the basket when the visiting team is shooting free throws versus having band/crazies behind the basket was poorly thought and should be reconsidered.

They never did that crud when I was there (class of '86) and I am frankly surprised that such a stupid policy exists. Who thought of that. Wait, let me guess... Nan?

3rd Dukie
02-28-2009, 09:07 PM
Bless your heart.'
Love, Ima

I second that.
Ignore the other guy's rudeness, please. Not called for or appropriate, IMO.

sagegrouse
02-28-2009, 09:14 PM
It would be even weirder if players were introduced with positions in Cameron. ;)

The court dark with a spotlight on the Duke bench..... "And at fo-r-r-w-a-a-r-r-d from Fa-a-a-r Rock-a-wa-a-a-y Lo-n-ng- Island, number twenty f-i-i-i-ve, A-a-r-r-r-t HEY-m-a-n-n!!!!"

sagegrouse

zingit
02-28-2009, 09:21 PM
I second that.
Ignore the other guy's rudeness, please. Not called for or appropriate, IMO.

Calm down, folks. I think the second poster was just trying to say, "Who is this person that knows what Coach K says in his locker-room? How does she know?" That's exactly what I was thinking until she explained it. I was wondering if she was an insider to the program, or just speaking hypothetically, like the second poster said. It wasn't rude or inappropriate at all.

I for one will be there and cheering on the team; it's the final home game for me too (*sniffle*).

Cameron
02-28-2009, 09:26 PM
I apologize for how that came across. I certainly didn't mean to insult the OP, although I can see where my post came across that way.

The way the OP posted the quote, without a link, made me for some reason think she was trying to relay something first hand. Anyway, yes, obviously I was thinking way too hard, or just not thinking at the time.

Thanks for sharing, Monitor Mom.

Cameron
02-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Calm down, folks. I think the second poster was just trying to say, "Who is this person that knows what Coach K says in his locker-room? How does she know?" That's exactly what I was thinking until she explained it. I was wondering if she was an insider to the program, or just speaking hypothetically, like the second poster said. It wasn't rude or inappropriate at all.

Thanks. There are a lot of self-righteous people here, however, so I wasn't bothered by the lectures.

I could have worded it better, though.

terrih
02-28-2009, 09:51 PM
I will be there too! My 3rd game at Cameron, all the way from Seattle, WA! Can't wait.

Let's Go Duke!!!!

geraldsneighbor
02-28-2009, 09:52 PM

Wow, I never thought of that. Haha, even going to Cameron I just realized they don't. My mistake then.

jv001
02-28-2009, 10:04 PM
The court dark with a spotlight on the Duke bench..... "And at fo-r-r-w-a-a-r-r-d from Fa-a-a-r Rock-a-wa-a-a-y Lo-n-ng- Island, number twenty f-i-i-i-ve, A-a-r-r-r-t HEY-m-a-n-n!!!!"

sagegrouse

I thought it was: From Rockvilllllllle Center, New York.. NumberrrrrrrrTwentttty Five, Artttttt Heyyyyyyyyyyman!!!!!!! I must be thinking of another Duke Superstar. Those were the days......Go Duke!

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-28-2009, 10:29 PM
I thought it was: From Rockvilllllllle Center, New York.. NumberrrrrrrrTwentttty Five, Artttttt Heyyyyyyyyyyman!!!!!!! I must be thinking of another Duke Superstar. Those were the days......Go Duke!
You've got the right player. Arty's hometown was listed as Rockville Centre. My memory may not be accurate, but I thought the introduction included the position they played and their class (senior, junior, etc.). The way the Duke team was introduced to come out on a darkened court illuminated only with a huge spotlight was so exciting...... could bring chills to the spine.

You and Sagegrouse are hearkening back to some fine basketball. Here's to a great Senior Night for Greg and Dave.

DukeDevilDeb
02-28-2009, 10:31 PM
Bless your heart.'
Love, Ima

Ditto, Monitor Mom... thanks for the post. I heard Coach K say that as well. I hope to heaven that the student section is full... it wasn't at the last home game. These kids really have been terrific and are starting the new season (i.e., the ACC tournament, then NCAA) with only a few games with the current lineup.

I for one plan to go home with no voice.

Go Devils!

gep
02-28-2009, 11:02 PM
I think Duke doesn't regularly start the seniors for the "senior's game" just because... but in this case, what's the possibility of Greg and Dave starting? I'm not sure about Jordan...:rolleyes:

zingit
02-28-2009, 11:08 PM
I think Duke doesn't regularly start the seniors for the "senior's game" just because... but in this case, what's the possibility of Greg and Dave starting? I'm not sure about Jordan...:rolleyes:

I think they do. For my freshman year against UNC (the last home game), I'm pretty sure we started JJ, Shelden, Dockery, and Melchionni, plus Greg. McRoberts and DeMarc usually started ahead of Dock and Melch. So I'm pretty sure we'll see a starting line-up of Greg and Dave plus the "Big 3" (Singler, Scheyer, and Henderson). Which, as a senior, I'm really excited about. :D

sagegrouse
02-28-2009, 11:34 PM

I swear it was Far Rockaway, because the town name was so droll, but memory plays tricks over 45 years, so no wagers here.

sagegrouse

ice-9
03-01-2009, 12:56 AM

I disagree a bit there. Duke basketball should be more about Duke than about basketball -- basketball exists to serve the university, not the other way around. So I see no problems in setting aside one game to honor Duke's graduating students even if it means the crowd isn't as intense.

Kim*
03-01-2009, 09:06 AM
:( :( :(

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-01-2009, 09:24 AM
I swear it was Far Rockaway, because the town name was so droll, but memory plays tricks over 45 years, so no wagers here.

sagegrouse
It's still a good memory, clouded or not. And we all know Heyman ended his senior season at home in fine style.

allenmurray
03-01-2009, 09:41 AM
They never did that crud when I was there (class of '86) and I am frankly surprised that such a stupid policy exists. Who thought of that. Wait, let me guess... Nan?

Not again, with the "everything bad that ever happened at Duke was Nan's fault". My understanding is that the seats are for Athletic Department VIPs - it was probably an Aleva decision.

ChemGod
03-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Not again, with the "everything bad that ever happened at Duke was Nan's fault". My understanding is that the seats are for Athletic Department VIPs - it was probably an Aleva decision.

Certainly not everything, but I think you can chalk up the absolute murder of the social cohesion that made Duke special to her and her personalize radical ideas about who were were and are as a group based upon gender.

Jumbo
03-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Wow, I'm glad to see K has already come out and made this statement, because I was planning to say the same thing on the board and ... just slightly ... K carries a bit more clout than I do.

Crazies, you need to bring it on Tuesday. The team is going to be tired. Florida State is good, big and tough. We'll be missing Nolan again. The team needs your help in what is a huge game -- win it, and we go to Carolina with a chance to play for at least a share of the ACC's regular season title.

It's the last home game of the season. Take everything you've done all season and, in some cases, for four seasons and magnify it. No one should leave Cameron with a voice. Bring it.

DukeDevilDeb
03-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Wow, I'm glad to see K has already come out and made this statement, because I was planning to say the same thing on the board and ... just slightly ... K carries a bit more clout than I do.

Crazies, you need to bring it on Tuesday. The team is going to be tired. Florida State is good, big and tough. We'll be missing Nolan again. The team needs your help in what is a huge game -- win it, and we go to Carolina with a chance to play for at least a share of the ACC's regular season title.

It's the last home game of the season. Take everything you've done all season and, in some cases, for four seasons and magnify it. No one should leave Cameron with a voice. Bring it.

I agree totally, Jumbo. By the way, will you be at the game losing your voice?

Jumbo
03-01-2009, 03:06 PM
I agree totally, Jumbo. By the way, will you be at the game losing your voice?

I wish. But I can yell really loudly at the TV if you'd like!

DukeDevilDeb
03-01-2009, 03:18 PM
I wish. But I can yell really loudly at the TV if you'd like!

If I weren't going to be there, I would be yelling at the TV, so I hope you will. It will mean a lot to the players and everyone on the board to know that, even if you can't be there, you are one vocal Duke Fan.

Go JUMBO....

3rd Dukie
03-01-2009, 05:28 PM
You've got the right player. Arty's hometown was listed as Rockville Centre. My memory may not be accurate, but I thought the introduction included the position they played and their class (senior, junior, etc.). The way the Duke team was introduced to come out on a darkened court illuminated only with a huge spotlight was so exciting...... could bring chills to the spine.

You and Sagegrouse are hearkening back to some fine basketball. Here's to a great Senior Night for Greg and Dave.

IIRC, that's the way they did it in March, 1963. Art's last home game and against UNC. Billy Cunningham was a sophomore for UNC and having troubles with his geography class.The early crazies were offering him tutoring services. As I recall, Art had 40+ pts. and a boatload of boards. What a thrill for me. I was a soph in high school, and my brother was in the pep band. I sneaked in with the band, straw hat and all.

BTW, sorry if I came across a self-righteous in an earlier post. I obviously misinterpreted what Cameron meant and was wrong.

Jumbo
03-02-2009, 09:07 PM
I really want to bump this back to the top, because I don't think people realize how huge a game Duke will be playing tomorrow. Heck, people seem more concerned with Duke's guard situation next season. Meanwhile, this team is two wins away from an ACC regular season title. What's that? We're still playing for something? Hell yeah, we are. In case you've forgotten, here's what's at stake:

-A win over FSU sends us to UNC with a chance to gain at least a share of the ACC regular season crown.
-A win over FSU puts in very strong position to finish, at worst, second in the conference.
-A win over FSU goes a long way toward ensuring a #2 seed in the NCAA Tourney and keeps us in the hunt for a #1 seed.
-A win over FSU would mean five wins in a row during a time in the season where we supposedly were going to fall apart.
-A win over FSU will help the team's confidence continue to improve.
-A win over FSU gives Paulus, McClure and Pocius a great Senior Night.
-A win over FSU leaves us feeling great as we head into what -- finally -- is a fortunate turn in our schedule. After that game, assuming we get a first-round bye in the ACCT, we will play one game in nine days. Carolina is the only team we have to prepare for. That means Duke can work on Duke. That's a fantastic opportunity this late in the season -- one that most teams don't get to enjoy. And Duke needs it, because the team is still finding its identity. It still has room to grow. It still needs to build a bigger collective ego. And that will be much easier coming off a win against FSU.

So this is where everything comes back to those of you at the game. You know the stakes. You can help. You'll only need to sacrifice your time and you voices. Are you up for that? Go show us -- and the team.

CDu
03-02-2009, 09:14 PM
I really want to bump this back to the top, because I don't think people realize how huge a game Duke will be playing tomorrow. Heck, people seem more concerned with Duke's guard situation next season. Meanwhile, this team is two wins away from an ACC regular season title. What's that? We're still playing for something? Hell yeah, we are. In case you've forgotten, here's what's at stake:

-A win over FSU sends us to UNC with a chance to gain at least a share of the ACC regular season crown.
-A win over FSU puts in very strong position to finish, at worst, second in the conference.
-A win over FSU goes a long way toward ensuring a #2 seed in the NCAA Tourney and keeps us in the hunt for a #1 seed.
-A win over FSU would mean five wins in a row during a time in the season where we supposedly were going to fall apart.
-A win over FSU will help the team's confidence continue to improve.
-A win over FSU gives Paulus, McClure and Pocius a great Senior Night.
-A win over FSU leaves us feeling great as we head into what -- finally -- is a fortunate turn in our schedule. After that game, assuming we get a first-round bye in the ACCT, we will play one game in nine days. Carolina is the only team we have to prepare for. That means Duke can work on Duke. That's a fantastic opportunity this late in the season -- one that most teams don't get to enjoy. And Duke needs it, because the team is still finding its identity. It still has room to grow. It still needs to build a bigger collective ego. And that will be much easier coming off a win against FSU.

So this is where everything comes back to those of you at the game. You know the stakes. You can help. You'll only need to sacrifice your time and you voices. Are you up for that? Go show us -- and the team.

Agreed. I'm very fired up for this game and very excited for the team. I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk in the pre-game thread, but I'm guessing people are thinking ahead to UNC.

Given where we were after the BC loss, it's very impressive to see how we've bounced back to have a shot at the ACC title. Tomorrow's game should not be taken lightly, but hopefully it can serve as a celebration of where we are and where we're (hopefully) going.

DukeFencer
03-03-2009, 09:41 AM
...asking for a great Cameron tonight.

http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2009/03/03/Letters/A.Letter.From.Coach.K-3656961.shtml

BlueintheFace
03-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Give the man what he wants gosh darnit!

OldSchool
03-03-2009, 09:50 AM
-three seniors (David McClure, Greg Paulus and Marty Pocius) who have represented the program so well during their time at Duke.

He's so right about this.

The entire Duke community should be proud that the university and the basketball program have been associated with such fine young men.

jv001
03-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Make it a night you will never forget. Thanks seniors. Go Duke!

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-03-2009, 09:55 AM
The same letter was sent by email to Iron Dukes last night. Coach K doesn't make direct requests very often. He's right about the contributions these three guys have made and how well they represent Duke.

fisheyes
03-03-2009, 10:02 AM
Wish I could be there...

To all that can be there...

Have fun...BE LOUD!!!

Here's to everyone needing to see their ENT docs for sore throats tomorrow!

Go Duke!!

Jeffrey
03-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Coach K doesn't make direct requests very often.

The passion Coach K displayed during the Wake game was also abnormally extreme. He appears to be trying to put this team on his back and carry it to the finish line. IMO, this is not one of his best teams but he clearly has extreme love for them.

Oh Canada
03-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Is there a way to listen to the game tonight for those of us who don't get Raycom?

In Canada, we only get the ESPN games and the ESPN radio site won't allow access unless we're in the States. Any help?

roywhite
03-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Is there a way to listen to the game tonight for those of us who don't get Raycom?

In Canada, we only get the ESPN games and the ESPN radio site won't allow access unless we're in the States. Any help?

http://wsfl.com/

I'm not sure this will work for you, but it's worth a try. This is one of the radio stations on the Duke network. I sometimes listen to the post-game interviews and comments on this station online. There's a button near the top of their website that indicates "Listen Live".

They'll carry the game, but I'm not sure if there are restrictions about an online feed during the game.

Good luck.

Jumbo
03-03-2009, 12:27 PM
...asking for a great Cameron tonight.

http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2009/03/03/Letters/A.Letter.From.Coach.K-3656961.shtml

Coach K is right on the money -- he knows that this game is huge, and it seems too many people are either still caught up in some sort of malaise, or looking ahead to Carolina. Tonight's game is enormous. That's why I wrote this (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=266219&postcount=42). We need a better effort from the Crazies than we've seen in years. STEP UP!

Cavlaw
03-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Just stopped by Cameron -- pretty short line for a senior night with only a few hours until the doors open. Kinda wonder where everyone is...

FireOgilvie
03-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Just stopped by Cameron -- pretty short line for a senior night with only a few hours until the doors open. Kinda wonder where everyone is...

Class? Game time is 4:45 away.

Bluedog
03-03-2009, 03:28 PM

There's not as much motivation to go early for a senior game because 700 seniors get in before everybody else no matter what (as well as the super early 150 people). So, nearly a thousand people already locked up the best seats, so the remaining students aren't getting good seats anyways, so might as well come 1.5 hrs prior to tipoff since it's not going to make much of a difference (guaranteed admission with wristband, but guaranteed a "bad" seat). And the 1000 with the best seats don't have motivation either. First 150 wristbands are guaranteed to be 1-150, while 150-900 are guaranteed to be in that range. And then the difference between seat 901 and 1500 isn't that much usually...So, because it's segmented into ranges so much, there isn't a lot of incentive to go early TODAY. When they handed out wristbands before (Sunday?), there was more incentive to go early to guarantee admission (or be in the first 150).

I'm sure profs are also pounding on the work today since there were no classes yesterday (canceled due to snow), so they need to make up for lost time (although Monday classes don't typically meet Tues as well, but I've seen profs assign additional work via e-mail/blackboard in the past...).

TillyGalore
03-03-2009, 03:46 PM

^^ Plus, it's frickin' freezing outside. Course to Cavlaw it may feel like a major warm up, to us southerners, it's frickin' freezing outside. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Cavlaw
03-03-2009, 03:50 PM
^^ Plus, it's frickin' freezing outside. Course to Cavlaw it may feel like a major warm up, to us southerners, it's frickin' freezing outside. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Yeah, I'm sitting in the sun by the chapel. It's quite pleasant.