PDA

View Full Version : Somebody end the MLB season now!!!

365Duke
04-08-2007, 10:17 PM
While the Braves are in 1st. place:D

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270408115

Channing
04-08-2007, 10:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXeaN_-YWMk

JasonEvans
04-09-2007, 12:24 PM
While the Braves are in 1st. place:D

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270408115

After the Mets won on Friday, all the baseball experts fell all over themsevles to declare the Mets the best team in the NL. I heard one idiot on ESPN Radio talking about what the Mets magic number was for clinching the division.

Ummmm, maybe we were a tad premature, eh?

Look, the Mets are very, very good and would still certainly be my pick to win the East. But, the Braves are better this year than they have been in a couple years at least. Bobby Cox and John Shuerholtz came up with an intersting plan-- get as much bullpen help as you can and then dare teams to win the game in 6 innings. If you are not beating the Braves after 6, you are done. This bullpen is gonna give up NOTHING after the 6th in close games. It is fun to watch.

Oh, and Brian McCann is a joy to watch catching. He's about as good as it gets at that position in major league baseball today. And he just turned 23 a month or so ago. Scary to think of how good he will be in a couple years.

-Jason "we really need a 1B and a LF though" Evans

Mal
04-09-2007, 05:59 PM
Bobby Cox and John Shuerholtz came up with an intersting plan-- get as much bullpen help as you can and then dare teams to win the game in 6 innings.

Are they paying a royalty to Ryan and Gardenhire for that idea? :^)

I, too, favor ending the season now, for multiple reasons. One, it's snowing here, so apparently it's already time for the World Series. Two, the Yankees are 2-3 and haven't had a quality start yet and that always changes by May. And three, the Twins are 1.5 games up in the AL Central.

Actually, scratch that. Johan Santana sent down 17 in a row yesterday against the ChiSox. He's been mediocre to miserable in April in his two Cy Young seasons, but he's 2-0 with a 2.75 already this year, so I want to see if he can put together the whole season. And perhaps quiet down the already-annoying talk of Daisuke for MVP after 1 start. Yes, he mowed down the Royals. No, they're not a major league lineup. He'd better be that good, for $100,000,000.

Is it just me, or is anyone else already tired of the incessant Red Sox hype this spring? As much as I enjoyed their World Series ride in '04, I've grown weary of the Yankees North media coverage and $120MM payroll. npdevil, tombrady, other Nor'easters, what say you in defense of the Sawks? Is there any pluckiness left in the Fens? Or are they becoming loathsome symbols of the big money status quo machine?

365Duke
04-09-2007, 06:24 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2831135
darnit!!!

JasonEvans
04-09-2007, 06:25 PM
And perhaps quiet down the already-annoying talk of Daisuke for MVP after 1 start. Yes, he mowed down the Royals. No, they're not a major league lineup. He'd better be that good, for $100,000,000.

Is it just me, or is anyone else already tired of the incessant Red Sox hype this spring? As much as I enjoyed their World Series ride in '04, I've grown weary of the Yankees North media coverage and $120MM payroll. npdevil, tombrady, other Nor'easters, what say you in defense of the Sawks?

MVP or Cy Young? Either way I 100% agree with you about Dice-K. He will probably be quite good his first time through the league but as more teams get more tape on him and batters start to learn his style, he will likely come back to Earth a bit. I am betting that his post All-Star game ERA will be close to 4.00.

As I was driving back from the Masters last night with a fellow Duke fan who was my guest at the Masters we were listening to ESPN go on and on and on in their sports reports about the Yankees and the Sox when my friend said, "does the sporting world know there are divisions other than the AL East?"

He made this comment as we were driving back from the Masters, by the way.

-Jason "did I mention that I went to the Masters yesterday?" Evans

JasonEvans
04-09-2007, 06:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2831135
darnit!!!

You expected Mike Hampton to make a meaningful contribution to the Braves this season?! Were you high at the time?!?!?!

It is amazing how important an arm is to a pitcher.

:mad:

-Jason "I am clear that the Braves are going to be in search of a decent 4th adn 5th starter all season-- which is pretty much what all of MLB is doing" Evans

Mal
04-09-2007, 06:52 PM
MVP or Cy Young?

I meant MVP. Since some have already awarded him the Cy Young based on one start and his career in Japan, the only suspense is whether he wins the MVP, too. Can we get a constitutional amendment so Dice-K can run for President?

I'm mostly joking - I hope he makes a big impact and think he's a good thing for baseball, what with the way he trains and the different mentality he seems to have about his approach to pitching. But I tend to agree that by August, teams like the Yankees, Indians, Tigers, White Sox and Twins will scout and adjust and pound him from time to time just like anyone else. All this talk about how he'll throw any pitch on any count, like it's the first time we've ever heard of such a thing? So what? So does Maddux. So does Santana. That's the mark of an excellent pitcher with command and confidence, not the Messiah. There will be days with warm temperatures and gusty winds and a tired arm when Dice-K makes mistakes and gives up 6 runs in 4 innings, just like those guys do. Probably.

You say something about a golf tournament or something? I couldn't hear you.

365Duke
04-09-2007, 08:08 PM
You expected Mike Hampton to make a meaningful contribution to the Braves this season?! Were you high at the time?!?!?!

It is amazing how important an arm is to a pitcher.

:mad:

-Jason "I am clear that the Braves are going to be in search of a decent 4th adn 5th starter all season-- which is pretty much what all of MLB is doing" Evans

he is like the dan morgan of the braves, geesh

CMS2478
04-19-2007, 08:19 AM
After the Mets won on Friday, all the baseball experts fell all over themsevles to declare the Mets the best team in the NL. I heard one idiot on ESPN Radio talking about what the Mets magic number was for clinching the division.

Ummmm, maybe we were a tad premature, eh?

Look, the Mets are very, very good and would still certainly be my pick to win the East. But, the Braves are better this year than they have been in a couple years at least. Bobby Cox and John Shuerholtz came up with an intersting plan-- get as much bullpen help as you can and then dare teams to win the game in 6 innings. If you are not beating the Braves after 6, you are done. This bullpen is gonna give up NOTHING after the 6th in close games. It is fun to watch.

Oh, and Brian McCann is a joy to watch catching. He's about as good as it gets at that position in major league baseball today. And he just turned 23 a month or so ago. Scary to think of how good he will be in a couple years.

-Jason "we really need a 1B and a LF though" Evans

I know this thread is old now, but I just saw it and you say we need a LF and a 1B. I agree we need a 1B, but I think we have a good LF (HE JUST DOESN'T PLAY). IMO, Matt Diaz has been a very good player since day 1 and has never been given a chance at an every day starting role. I mean how can Bobby Cox play someone hitting in the 100's-200's when Diaz hits around .300 or better with limited playing time. I think he could be one of the guys we let go and becomes a start elsewhere eventually. (Jermaine Dye)

CMS2478
04-19-2007, 08:24 AM
he is like the dan morgan of the braves, geesh

With Mike Hampton out for the year again, at least the Braves website is guaranteed a story for next year.

I can see it now......."Mike Hampton who is returning from yet another injury could be the missing piece that the Braves need for a World Series run......"

Give it up already and get rid of him and his $14.5 million a year contract. Even when he's healthy he is not that good. :(