PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke 81, North Carolina 79 (OT)

CameronBornAndBred
02-27-2009, 06:36 PM
I usually wouldn't post so early for a women's game, but I'm excited. I just read this on GoDuke.com. (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=3680501)
---------------------------------------------------------
"Looking For A Sellout...
By the time Duke and North Carolina tip off on Sunday afternoon, the Duke Ticket Office is expecting to have a sellout crowd of 9,314 fans. As of Friday afternoon, there were only 400 tickets remaining for the contest. If the game is sold out, it would mark the 12th sellout in school history and the first time this season."
---------------------------------------------------------
If you don't have a ticket and are close enough to be there, get online and get a ticket, or show up game day and get one from someone who has extras. We neeeeeed Cameron loud as it can be. Get ready for a great game, and help say goodbye and thanks so much to some special seniors. 15 minutes before tipoff, Abby Waner, Chante Black and Carrem Gay will be honored for their excellent contributions to Duke basketball. If all goes well, we'll hear them after the game too.
The ladies had them on the ropes early in Chapel Hell, but we all know how that turned out, very similar to the recent Maryland game. Show up and join us in a rousing rendition of GO TO HELL CAROLINA, and help cheer on the women in their last home game of the season. Maybe us DBR folks can figure out a way to meet up at half time, too. GO DUKE, GTHC!!!!!

DukePA's Mom
02-27-2009, 06:50 PM
I too hope lots of Duke fans come. We're going, Duke PA should be ok by then to come, have spoken to several people who have tickets & will be there. Meeting @ 1/2 time would be fun.

GTCH GTHC GTHC

GO DUKE!

CameronBornAndBred
02-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Oh yeah..great photo here from goduke.com
http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics24/400/QW/QWIIHFDZPARRQHF.20090225171106.jpg
Those smiles are gonna kick some tarheel azzes.:D

CameronBornAndBred
03-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Today is the day! 5PM on FSN. GO DUKE!!!
!!!GTHC!!!

Indoor66
03-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Today is the day! 5PM on FSN. GO DUKE!!!
!!!GTHC!!!

My onscreen guide (Comcast) lists the game at 6:00 tonight. My women's sched lists the game at 5:00. Is there any change or is the TV sched wrong?

CameronBornAndBred
03-01-2009, 10:35 AM
My onscreen guide (Comcast) lists the game at 6:00 tonight. My women's sched lists the game at 5:00. Is there any change or is the TV sched wrong?
It's at 5. That's what my tickets and goduke.com says.

merry
03-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Any further thoughts on meeting up at halftime? We'll be there, as always.

loran16
03-01-2009, 06:04 PM
There's seriously no thread for this yet?

Anyhow, once again a solid 1st half. Now if we can continue this in the 2nd half.....

Keep up the rebounding girls.

miramar
03-01-2009, 06:05 PM
A 40-32 halftime lead is very encouraging. Black and Waner are a combined 3/16 and Duke still scored 40, so that's pretty good.

Duke has had second-half problems against Carolina and Maryland away, but senior day at Cameron is a completely different story.

miramar
03-01-2009, 07:21 PM
After a 40-32 lead at halftime, Duke had more second-half problems and was outscored 35-21 to fall behind 67-61 with under a minute and a half left. Duke then scored three baskets to tie it up and force overtime.

DukeCO2009
03-01-2009, 07:31 PM
One of the reasons I've never really been able to get into women's basketball is that play is, in general, quite sloppy. Tonight, sadly, hasn't done much to kill my stereotypical thoughts. Really, really sloppy play in the second half. Great shot by Abby, though--we're at the line up two with twenty and change left. Go Duke!

miramar
03-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Gutsy win!

Maxwell1977
A hearty Hoorah! for Jasmine Thomas.

Duvall
Well, that was exciting. Nice games for Carrem Gay and Jasmine Thomas.

Abby so crazy. Hit her first shot, miss the next fourteen, hit her last shot.

miramar
03-01-2009, 07:40 PM
With Duke down 76-75, Abby made a clutch three with 46 seconds left to give Duke a 78-76 lead. Considering that she was 1/15 at that point, not to mention 1/8 on three pointers, that was one to quit on. Cheek was 1/9 and Black 2/9, which means the three of them were 5/34 (14.7%).

godukerocks
03-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Say all you want about the turnovers, but this game was great to watch. The six point comeback with under two minutes, Jasmine Thomas singularly taking over OT, and Abby's shot, all on Senior Night. Awesome win, but of course there are still things to be concerned about of course.

Sixthman
03-01-2009, 07:52 PM
It's great to win, but let's be honest: Carolina had more than 30 turnovers in regulation. How do you not win in regulation?

sagegrouse
03-01-2009, 07:54 PM
I had given up hope, and then Abby hits a three. Great for her, great for Duke, and bad for Sylvia Hatchell. Sounds like a trifecta to me.

sagegrouse

burnspbesq
03-01-2009, 08:25 PM
No points for technical merit or artistic impression.

However, this is not figure skating.

Tremendous gut-check performance by Duke down the stretch and in overtime. I nearly left the room when Carolina built a six-point lead and seemed to have all the momentum.

Somehow, I don't think "let DeGraffenreid do whatever she wants" is a defensive game plan that is likely to be successful twice. Although "iso for whoever is being guarded by DeGraffenreid, and let her operate" seems like a keeper. Jasmine just lit her up.

Horrifying decision making by Abby, even though it went in. Option A in that situation is ball fake and go baseline. Option B is pull it out, and go iso on DeGraffenreid. Launch from in front of the bench isn't even Option C.

dukelifer
03-01-2009, 08:35 PM
No matter what- this was going to be a close game and Duke found a way to win. This is what tourney time is all about- playing well in the last few minutes. This Duke team goes 8 minutes without a filed goal and gets the game into OT. Abby Waner who missed 15 or so shots in a row- hits a transition three to put Duke ahead for good after Jasmine Thomas hits clutch shot after clutch shot. This Duke team can make a run- because they can win ugly games and play D when it counts.

killerleft
03-01-2009, 08:36 PM
A senior taking a big three in her last home game against Carowhina is aways a good idea. Jasmine Thomas was great.

Very exciting game. Our defense, as usual, made this win possible.

On to the tournament!

godukecom
03-01-2009, 08:54 PM
YES!!!
I was there; easily the most exciting game I have been to (well, sans the mens game vs Miami). Cameron was LOUD, and that tarhole section sure did clear out quickly ;)

great game! GO DUKE!

Verga3
03-01-2009, 09:10 PM
What a gutsy team effort tonight. Jasmine Thomas and Karima Christmas stepped up with fabulous performances. Carrem Gay was solid and Abby hit the one we needed, when we needed it. This was a great primer for the ACC Tournament next weekend. It's not always going to be pretty......survive and advance.

fadero
03-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Great senior speech by Chante, youtube perhaps?

DukeDevilDeb
03-01-2009, 10:17 PM
on a huge, huge win tonight. Thanks for showing the ladies in baby blue that the women in Royal Blue know how to win the game. I cannot tell you how glad I am that Rashownda (SP?) McCants didn't get a final win... bad enough that, over the years, we had one McCants of each gender.

On to the tournament (ACC), then NCAA... maybe the guys can watch the tape to see how it's done and create an unbeatable game plan!

Newton_14
03-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Way to go Abby and way to go girls!! Great win over the evil empire!

9F 9F 9F 9F 9F

gwwilburn
03-01-2009, 10:47 PM
A win over the Holes is always nice. I'm sorry I missed this edition.

devildeac
03-01-2009, 10:48 PM
Exciting game. Lots of character to come back and tie in regulation after getting outscored 33-17 in the 1st 18 minutes of the 2nd half and then scoring the last 6 points in regulation to tie. Jasmine Thomas is a player. Quite an OT for her.

Some interesting stats:

1. 32 offensive boards for us. There were certainly many to be gathered as we shot 34.5%:eek:. We outboarded them 50-32. a vast improvement over our performance there last month.
2. 23 steals! They had 33 TO! Why didn't we win in regulation? See #1 above. Plus, they shot mid 40% range overall and slightly better from 3 point range.
3. "Only" 23 TO for us:o.
4. FT% low 60% for both teams.
5. Pretty even on the PF.

Editorial comment: On several possessions, I thought hanstraveller's sister had suited up for the 'holes as several players took 3-4 steps before releasing their shot and getting the foul called on us:rolleyes:.

sue71, esq
03-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Exciting game. Lots of character to come back and tie in regulation after getting outscored 33-17 in the 1st 18 minutes of the 2nd half and then scoring the last 6 points in regulation to tie. Jasmine Thomas is a player. Quite an OT for her.

Some interesting stats:

1. 32 offensive boards for us. There were certainly many to be gathered as we shot 34.5%:eek:. We outboarded them 50-32. a vast improvement over our performance there last month.
2. 23 steals! They had 33 TO! Why didn't we win in regulation? See #1 above. Plus, they shot mid 40% range overall and slightly better from 3 point range.
3. "Only" 23 TO for us.

Editorial comment: On several possessions, I thought hanstraveller's sister had suited up for the 'holes as several players took 3-4 steps before releasing their shot and getting the foul called on us.

Thanks for the talking points, especially #2. When the announcers called out TO #30 for them, I asked in chat how it was possible that the game was so close. I guess that's how. (I came home with only a few minutes left in the game, so I missed not only the first half, but the majority of the 2nd half.)

That being said, I have now brought out my karma for the remainder of the season. :) I turned on the game and we were up by 2. I started munching on some pepperoni and some crackers. We went down. And stayed down. So, in chat I asked if I should turn the tv off, as we'd been winning until right after I turned it on. DukePA, CLbunchofnumbers, Kewlswim, etc (sorry if I didn't mention you by name) all told me I should turn it off, which I did. Poof! We come back and tie it for OT!

Well I'd put the pepperoni away at the break before OT. OT didn't start out so well (tv was still off, so I was getting updates via chat). I mentioned that I'd eaten some pepperoni, and should I start again... it was a unanimous YES! So I grabbed the pepperoni and started eating again. Voila! We win! :rolleyes:

On a related note, CathyCA was talking to someone with special vibes who sent them out during the game... and I KNOW they helped too! :D

It may seem silly, but we all have our "things", aka superstitions, that make us feel better about what may or may not be happening in a game, and really make us feel a part of it. So though I missed the game (for all intents and purposes), I was there in spirit (and superstition)!

(DD, I had to pull some of your emoticons. wink, wink)

godukerocks
03-01-2009, 11:17 PM
Great senior speech by Chante, youtube perhaps?

I'd love to listen to the speeches. Hopefully someone here has them.

devildeac
03-01-2009, 11:27 PM

Some interesting stats:

3. "Only" 23 TO for us:o.

Editorial comment: On several possessions, I thought hanstraveller's sister had suited up for the 'holes as several players took 3-4 steps before releasing their shot and getting the foul called on us:rolleyes:.

Minor correction: We had a 10 point lead, 44-34, about 2-3 minutes into the 2nd half, so we were outscored by that 33-17 margin over about a 15-16 minute period, not 18 minutes as I initially thought.

The win was even more surprising as one of the 'holes nearly dropped a triple-double on us. Breland (sp?) had 11 points, 11 rebounds and...

NINE turnovers

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

DukePA's Mom
03-01-2009, 11:29 PM
It is so wonderful the ladies pulled off a great win tonight. Chante was so funny after the game with her "Said she wanted to say it one more time",
"GO TO HELL CAROLINA". I thought she said the right thing. It was great to see their faces, especially the seniors.

Carolina fans got very quite at the end of the game. That was really nice.

Great win. Would be nice to repeat next weekend, should they play each other.

devildeac
03-01-2009, 11:32 PM
It is so wonderful the ladies pulled off a great win tonight. Chante was so funny after the game with her "Said she wanted to say it one more time",
"GO TO HELL CAROLINA". I thought she said the right thing. It was great to see their faces, especially the seniors.

It would be even nicer to see them exit after their Friday game:D.

yancem
03-01-2009, 11:52 PM
That being said, I have now brought out my karma for the remainder of the season. :) I turned on the game and we were up by 2. I started munching on some pepperoni and some crackers. We went down. And stayed down. So, in chat I asked if I should turn the tv off, as we'd been winning until right after I turned it on. DukePA, CLbunchofnumbers, Kewlswim, etc (sorry if I didn't mention you by name) all told me I should turn it off, which I did. Poof! We come back and tie it for OT!

Yeah, I forgot that the game was on but came across it 2 minutes into the second half and we were up 8-10. I turned off the tv when we went down 6. I figured that if they were winning without me watching and started to lose after I started watching, they would be better off with doing something else.

I was very happy to see that Waner hit the go ahead shot because she was having a miserable night what little I watched and seemed really hesitant. I'm not sure what went wrong with her shot after Coach G left be she has not been the same player the past two years. Which is really a shame considering how talented she is and how much she has meant to the program.

Coming into her freshman year there were a lot of similarities between her and McRoberts. They were both national players of the year in high school and they both played prominent rolls as freshman on very talented senior laden teams. Fortunately that is where the similarities end. While McRoberts never really bought into the Duke family and always seemed to have an eye to the nba, Waner has been a great asset to her team and the University, even if she didn't end up the next great, All American, player of the year, yaddie, yaddie, yaddie. Her career has actually more mirrored Paulus'. Both have been consummate teammates who have struggled at times but have always played with a lot of heart and guts. They've also both hit more than a few huge shots like the one Waner hit tonight.

All of the seniors will be missed but there has always been something about Waner that just make you smile. Great win tonight and hopefully there are several more wins still in the tank!

zingit
03-02-2009, 12:21 AM
Wow, what a big win! Within a single week, I've been to two games (MBB vs Wake and WBB vs UNC) that I would put near the top of my list of the most fun and exciting games I've attended in my four years as a Cameron Crazie. My senior year is closing out with a bang!

They showed a lot of guts today. Honestly, when Chante Black fouled out with four minutes left, and Carolina closing in, I nearly wrote this team off. I thought: another second-half collapse to a big opponent. Another loss to Carolina. Another senior night disappointment. Well, this team showed me! They stuck with it and made stops when they needed to, and hit some clutch shots. What a thrilling comeback. I'm so happy for our seniors.

And how great was Jasmine Thomas?! Sure, 3 Ast to 5 TOs doesn't look so hot, but otherwise, she was super tonight. And she's only a sophomore! We get two more years with her! She has been up and down at times, but I expect that she'll eventually put it together and get more consistent by next season (hopefully sooner!), and could be poised for a break-out junior season. I think she could be a really special, Lindsey Harding-type player: a quick point guard who can distribute the ball, score in a multitude of ways (attacking the basket, mid-range jumpers, threes), and be a defensive stopper. Perhaps that is an unfair expectation, but I really have a good feeling about her.

It's great to win, but let's be honest: Carolina had more than 30 turnovers in regulation. How do you not win in regulation?

You could turn that around and say we shot 32.5% on field goals in regulation (25% in the second half), and our best player only played 18 minutes due to foul trouble--how did Carolina not win in regulation? The truth is, neither team played perfectly, but we led for the majority of the game and made the plays we needed to win. Sure, we can criticize the turnovers or our offense, but I'm just going to enjoy this win.

Let's not forget that this is not just a big win for this team, but a big win for this PROGRAM, considering that it is Coach P's first victory over UNC, after being whupped by them by double digits for the past four meetings. It's gotta feel good to get "over the hump." This should give us some confidence and momentum going into tourney time. Hopefully there are many more wins to come!

Edited to add just how good it felt to shut those UNC fans up. I *hate* their stupid "TAR! HEELS!" chant. I have now been to all 8 Duke vs. UNC home games (I'm including both MBB and WBB) during my four years at Duke, and before tonight, only one of those had been a victory (when the women beat UNC my sophomore year, in 2007). All the rest had ended in the "bad guys" getting the last laugh. So tonight was especially sweet.

Kewlswim
03-02-2009, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the talking points, especially #2. When the announcers called out TO #30 for them, I asked in chat how it was possible that the game was so close. I guess that's how. (I came home with only a few minutes left in the game, so I missed not only the first half, but the majority of the 2nd half.)

Well I'd put the pepperoni away at the break before OT. OT didn't start out so well (tv was still off, so I was getting updates via chat). I mentioned that I'd eaten some pepperoni, and should I start again... it was a unanimous YES! So I grabbed the pepperoni and started eating again. Voila! We win! :rolleyes:

On a related note, CathyCA was talking to someone with special vibes who sent them out during the game... and I KNOW they helped too! :D

It may seem silly, but we all have our "things", aka superstitions, that make us feel better about what may or may not be happening in a game, and really make us feel a part of it. So though I missed the game (for all intents and purposes), I was there in spirit (and superstition)!

(DD, I had to pull some of your emoticons. wink, wink)

Hi,

It was so silly that after the game I went to the supermarket and bought some pepperoni. I ate some tonight so I would have some luck next week just like the Devils had. Thanks Sue for teaching me about the luck of the pepperoni! Makes sense though, I live near North Beach (Italian section of San Francisco) and those folks have lots of luck, after all they live in a beautiful City in one of the parts I think is most beautiful too.

GO DUKE!!

CameronBornAndBred
03-02-2009, 01:25 AM
Just got back from a long drive after the game, so I'll post thoughts and photos tomorrow, but how AWESOME!!!! The last women's game I was at was 2 years ago, also a senior night victory over the holes, and this one matched that one in intensity and excitement. So happy to see McCallie get Hatchell's monkey off of her back, too.

Edited to add just how good it felt to shut those UNC fans up. I *hate* their stupid "TAR! HEELS!" chant. I have now been to all 8 Duke vs. UNC home games (I'm including both MBB and WBB) during my four years at Duke, and before tonight, only one of those had been a victory (when the women beat UNC my sophomore year, in 2007). All the rest had ended in the "bad guys" getting the last laugh. So tonight was especially sweet.
My favorite cheer of the whole night, after watching that obnoxious crowd of baby blues be beyond crass across the way, was all of us on our side point at them and chant "Why So Quiet!?" They sat in stone cold silence without an answer, what a beautiful thing to see.

Jim3k
03-02-2009, 01:47 AM
A win over the Holes is always nice. I'm sorry I missed this edition.

FoxSports has two re-runs you can tape. Very late on both Monday and Tuesday.

burnspbesq
03-02-2009, 02:32 AM
FoxSports has two re-runs you can tape. Very late on both Monday and Tuesday.

If you are planning to record one of these replays, note that the time of the game was nearly 2 hours 40 minutes, and plan accordingly.

captmojo
03-02-2009, 07:48 AM
I was very happy to see that Waner hit the go ahead shot because she was having a miserable night what little I watched and seemed really hesitant. I'm not sure what went wrong with her shot after Coach G left be she has not been the same player the past two years. Which is really a shame considering how talented she is and how much she has meant to the program.

All of the seniors will be missed but there has always been something about Waner that just make you smile. Great win tonight and hopefully there are several more wins still in the tank!

I think the only one happier than I was to see that shot splash through, might have been Joy Cheek. I thought she was going to bump Abby out into the parking lot, glad for the assist. Waner might have missed a lot of scoring chances but the rest of her game, last night, didn't suffer much. There were many intangibles that were sorely needed which she provided.

Just got back from a long drive after the game, so I'll post thoughts and photos tomorrow, but how AWESOME!!!! The last women's game I was at was 2 years ago, also a senior night victory over the holes, and this one matched that one in intensity and excitement. So happy to see McCallie get Hatchell's monkey off of her back, too.

My favorite cheer of the whole night, after watching that obnoxious crowd of baby blues be beyond crass across the way, was all of us on our side point at them and chant "Why So Quiet!?" They sat in stone cold silence without an answer, what a beautiful thing to see.

Good to see you got home safely with the weather what it was. The state could do a better job in clearing US70. I love that cheer. I hope to hear it more often. :)

Devilsfan
03-02-2009, 07:52 AM
Sad to see the last of Coach G's kids go.

Rudy
03-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Exciting game. It was terrific to see Abby hit that three. I was feeling bad for her having such an off shooting night on her last home game, but hitting it then and shifting momentum to her team in the OT at that point was terrific. Hopefully it will give some shooter's confidence back for the tournament.

4decadedukie
03-02-2009, 08:24 AM
No matter what- this was going to be a close game and Duke found a way to win. This is what tourney time is all about- playing well in the last few minutes. This Duke team goes 8 minutes without a filed goal and gets the game into OT. Abby Waner who missed 15 or so shots in a row- hits a transition three to put Duke ahead for good after Jasmine Thomas hits clutch shot after clutch shot. This Duke team can make a run- because they can win ugly games and play D when it counts.

I agree with dukelifer.

Well into the second half, I was so unhappy: defense was excellent, but shot selection and percentage was simply bad, several free throws were missed, and fouls/disqualification was a problem. Then our ladies have a miraculous comeback that demonstrated not only basketball talent, but also absolute tenacity and focus. CONGRATULATIONS to the team, to the coaches, and to the Crazies in Cameron who supported the team.

arnie
03-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Exciting game. It was terrific to see Abby hit that three. I was feeling bad for her having such an off shooting night on her last home game, but hitting it then and shifting momentum to her team in the OT at that point was terrific. Hopefully it will give some shooter's confidence back for the tournament.

I don't watch many of the women's games, but do try to keep up. I was curious about Waner's production and checked her stats. As a senior, she's made 31.8% of her 2-point shots and 27.7% or her 3's. Any reason why the numbers are so low and I guess the other question - why she takes so many 3's? I don't know her career numbers, but would think her shooting this year has really fallen off.

miramar
03-02-2009, 09:57 AM
I don't watch many of the women's games, but do try to keep up. I was curious about Waner's production and checked her stats. As a senior, she's made 31.8% of her 2-point shots and 27.7% or her 3's. Any reason why the numbers are so low and I guess the other question - why she takes so many 3's? I don't know her career numbers, but would think her shooting this year has really fallen off.

Her shooting has been off the last two years. Her style does not seem as well suited for Coach P's system as it was for Coach G's, not to mention that she appears to have been very much affected by her sister's problems with Coach P last year. Her shot selection is not the best, to say the least, but there have been some real strains with the coaching staff which seem to have affected her game quite a bit. The relationship with the coaching staff may have improved this year (or perhaps both sides are just putting up a brave front) but her shooting woes have continued.

jimsumner
03-02-2009, 11:02 AM
"Sad to see the last of Coach G's kids go."

Lots of Coach G's recruits are still in the program.

MHTorringjan
03-02-2009, 05:54 PM

I unfortunately had to leave during the second half due to other obligations, but I loved the first half. Those Hole fans that come out are always so rude and classless. But they actually started making fun of me personally, since I cheer so hard and do the dances. I thought that was particularly classless, since I'm not even playing the game. Would have been nice to be able to see them at the end. :-)

MHTorringjan
03-02-2009, 05:58 PM
"Sad to see the last of Coach G's kids go."

Lots of Coach G's recruits are still in the program.

Good point, the Sophomores are ones that she coached, and the sophomores are the ones that she recruited (and I seem to remember that she was heavy into recruiting the present freshmen, too).

Anyway, the team seems to have made some good adjustments to Coach P's coaching style and game plan, although the offensive efficiency still needs some work. I'm all stoked about the tourney this weekend, because it seems like they've played their best basketball of the season lately, excepting the UMd game. I really feel like this is going to be our best chance in years to win the tourney, which would be amazing!

CameronBornAndBred
03-02-2009, 06:35 PM
Those Hole fans that come out are always so rude and classless. But they actually started making fun of me personally, since I cheer so hard and do the dances.
They did one of the lowest "cheers" I have ever heard, rivaling Maryland men's fans. The second time the Duke Dance Team came out and performed (well, I might add, they are fun to watch) they chanted "who let the dogs out". Beyond low class. I hope the instigators slipped off the road on the sad trip back to hell.

Jim3k
03-02-2009, 06:36 PM
If you are planning to record one of these replays, note that the time of the game was nearly 2 hours 40 minutes, and plan accordingly.

Actually, they will compress it to fit into a 2-hour time slot. Something will be edited out, but probably not the end of regulation and overtime. Just don't know what will be cut. Thus, my questioning smilie. :confused:

CameronBornAndBred
03-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Not game action, just the atmosphere.

godukecom
03-02-2009, 07:58 PM
The Candy Man! I love seeing him throw treats to all the students... makes me smile every time. :)

homebre
03-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Good point, the Sophomores are ones that she coached, and the sophomores are the ones that she recruited (and I seem to remember that she was heavy into recruiting the present freshmen, too).
!

Please clarify. Which she are you talking about? Did G. or P. actually recruit the sophomores? I too have been impressed with their play--especially their speed and toughness.

Andy from Hillsborough

orrnot
03-02-2009, 08:53 PM
They did one of the lowest "cheers" I have ever heard, rivaling Maryland men's fans. The second time the Duke Dance Team came out and performed (well, I might add, they are fun to watch) they chanted "who let the dogs out". Beyond low class. I hope the instigators slipped off the road on the sad trip back to hell.

I observed this too. My impression, FWIW, is that it emerged from a loud but small portion of the Carolina supporters and died the quick death it deserved. I watched the game in mixed and pleasant company. It's too bad that Duke fans were largely outmatched by the more enthusiastic and numerous Heels, but it's our fault and to the Heels' credit. After the years of being outcheered at home by the Heels, the Pack, and even the Wahoos, it was nice that Duke took ownership of its own stadium in the late 90's. I hope we'll decide it's worth keeping. Ultimately it's up to the team to attract fans, and they certainly came through last night. Quite fun to witness.

DukePA's Mom
03-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Not game action, just the atmosphere.

Thanks for posting. What a fun time last night. I am so happy for the Ladies. They have been great fun to have at Duke. They are a lot to be proud of.

watzone
03-03-2009, 12:54 AM
Here are some mor pics from the game - http://bluedevilnation.net/?page_id=1706

4Luck
03-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Loved Abby Waner's shot in overtime. The elation on not only on her face, but her teammates and the crowd as well, was definitely a great moment and a wonderful ending to the game. The Paulus-esque floor slap afterwards by Waner was also quite memorable - I wish I had it on tape.

P.S. If anyone has a copy of the game, or even just overtime, I would love to get a copy - so please pm me if you do, I would be truly grateful - I have every other UNC matchup since I started following the women and would love to keep it complete. Plus, the ending of this game is definitely one I want to remember.