PDA

View Full Version : FoxSports Gives us a Walk to the Final Four

CameronBornAndBred
02-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Well, maybe not a walk, but if we actually ended up with the bracket that they give us (http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9273866/Projecting-the-NCAA-tournament-brackets?MSNHPHMA), I'd be drooling. If we go in as a 2, I sooooo want Pitt to be the #1. I'm not sure they would make it to the regional. We'd have some tough teams to get to the FF, but we've already beaten Davidson. We might see Wake again (according only to this bracket) which would be a great game, and maybe the 3rd of 4 depending on the ACC tourney. On the whole though, I don't see any teams that stand out as a team I don't want us to face. Of course it's tourney, and anything can and does happen, but if we see this bracket on selection Sunday, I'll make plans to be in Durham for the Final Four. (that's where the real party will be)

P.S. The party won't be in Chapel Hill..they get shafted with their bracket.

weezie
02-27-2009, 06:16 PM
Seriously? On this projection, the holes look like they have a red carpet rolled to DTW.

DukieBoy
02-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Seriously? On this projection, the holes look like they have a red carpet rolled to DTW.

I completely disagree, personally. Having Butler, Clemson, Syracuse, Kansas among the bracket would be one tough region. Would be fun to watch, but IMO easily the hardest of the brackets.

tommy
02-27-2009, 06:36 PM
I agree it would be a pretty good bracket for us. Until the EE game, that is, if it was against Pitt. I personally think that's the worst possible EE opponent for us. They have power inside and quick penetrators, they are a tough, veteran, physical team. I really don't think we could beat them.

As for the bracket as a whole, the only glaring problem with it is having Kansas a 2 and Louisville a 3. I think Louisville is going to get a lot of respect from the committee and is a solid 2. Kansas is no way going to be rated that highly.

crimsondevil
02-27-2009, 06:39 PM
I completely disagree, personally. Having Butler, Clemson, Syracuse, Kansas among the bracket would be one tough region. Would be fun to watch, but IMO easily the hardest of the brackets.

'Cuse, Clemson, and Kansas are all on the other side of the bracket from UNC, i.e. they would only play one of them at most.
Also I don't think Butler could hang with them.

As for us, the first weekend looks doable, no question. The regionals would be tough if it was Nova and Pitt, but wide open if not.

Anyways, the bracket won't look like that in the end.

flyingdutchdevil
02-27-2009, 06:52 PM
...I would be happy about this bracket. We match up well with our SS (Nova or Illinois). Regarding the number 1 seeds, they are all pretty tough this year, but I would rather play Pitt than any of the others. I would hate for Coach K to play Capel, hate a Duke UNC tourney game, and hate to play (and potentially lose) to UCon. Thus, due to all these reasons, if we make it to the EE, I want to play Pitt.

CameronBornAndBred
02-27-2009, 06:59 PM
I would hate for Coach K to play Capel, hate a Duke UNC tourney game, and hate to play (and potentially lose) to UCon. Thus, due to all these reasons, if we make it to the EE, I want to play Pitt.
Amen, brother. Although I'd take a chance at UCONN before the others.

Kewlswim
02-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Hi,

I still hear about Cal beating Duke in the NCAA tournament. When was it now, let me see, 15 or so years ago? I would hate to have to hear about it again for another 15 years!!

Also, Cal has, guess what? Two lightening fast quick guards who can go into the lane at will against the defense we have been playing. They make threes at a higher percentage than any other team in the nation.

I would prefer to play a team with a plodding, methodical offense--not a team that will score by making shots as the shot clock runs out in broken plays. That being said, I think Nolan and particularly Mr. Williams could give the Cal guards trouble.

Didn't the NCAA say they were going to try to keep teams in their regions so as not to have to pay for lots of air fare across the country?

GO DUKE!

BlueintheFace
02-27-2009, 09:28 PM
I would love this bracket.

brevity
02-27-2009, 09:29 PM
Do you realize how strange it is to create a bracket that puts two high-seeded Big East teams in the Boston and Phoenix (Glendale) regions and NONE in the Memphis Region? There's just 7-seed Syracuse and 12-seed Providence in UNC's region.

Or, if you prefer, look at the ACC. Duke (2) and Wake (4) are in the Boston region. UNC (1) and Clemson (3) are in the Memphis region. Then there's FSU (5) and VT (11) in Glendale, and BC (10) alone in Indianapolis.

That's just sloppy work. Say what you will about the Selection Committee, but the real brackets won't be THAT imbalanced.

Kewlswim
02-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Hi,

When does the Selection Committee begin to deliberate? Are they already deliberating?

Also, believe you me, they will find a way to put Duke and Oklahoma so that they can potentially play one another. The Committee is sort of mean in that way, in that, they want to see Coach K really sad to play Coach Capel and visa-versa.

Thanks.

GO DUKE!

jimsumner
02-27-2009, 10:47 PM
"I realize the pairings are out next Sunday... "

That will render insignificant an awful lot of conference tournaments.

Kewlswim
02-27-2009, 11:06 PM
"I realize the pairings are out next Sunday... "

That will render insignificant an awful lot of conference tournaments.

Hi,

I think that I was a little quick on the pairings there. :-)

GO DUKE!

DukeDevilDeb
02-27-2009, 11:13 PM
Hi,

When does the Selection Committee begin to deliberate? Are they already deliberating?

Also, believe you me, they will find a way to put Duke and Oklahoma so that they can potentially play one another. The Committee is sort of mean in that way, in that, they want to see Coach K really sad to play Coach Capel and visa-versa.

Thanks.

GO DUKE!

...that they would pitt (no pun intended!) Coach K against Capel. There are too many other enticing Duke matchups.

I will tell you one thing for sure. If the number 1 seeds are the four teams listed here (UNC, PItt, UConn and OU), I will take Pitt every time...!

Go Devils!

ice-9
02-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Of UNC, U-Conn, Pitt and Oklahoma I'd rather play against Oklahoma.

Sure, Oklahoma has Griffin but I don't think he's that much of a nightmare match-up for us. Our post doesn't get many points anyway, so it's not as though Griffin is going to shut us down, and we have two big bodies that can limit his effectiveness. Other than Griffin, we just have to worry about stopping Willie Warren, then viola, the Oklahoma offense stalls. And finally, they're a young and inexperienced team, so more likely to trip up in the one-and-done nature of the NCAA tournament.

They have a gaudy record, yes, but the Big 12 conference is down this year.

Olympic Fan
02-28-2009, 01:19 PM
I wouldn't pay too much attention to this bracket -- Frank Burlison obviously doesn't know much about the principles of seeding.

He does know enough to put conference rivals in slots where they can't meet until the regional finals. Fine. But he doesn't know that the top three seeds from multiple bid conferences are protected (i.e. must be placed in different regions) or that conference teams seeded in the same group of four (1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16) must be placed in different regions.

Burlison has No. 1 UNC and No. 3 Clemson in the same region ... he has No. 2 Duke and No. 4 Wake in the same region.

So he has the top four ACC teams in just two regions?

Can't happen. Won't happen.