PDA

View Full Version : What if?

quickgtp
02-24-2009, 03:46 PM
I just finished a debate with a UNC fan/friend of mine. The topic was this:

Would Duke have won the first match-up this year if Duke was playing with the new line-up/rotation? I really think we would have pulled it off. The defensive intensity of Email on Ty, the bigger line-up and our ability to run without hesitation would have been a big difference. We only went 8 deep the first game, and to me, our PG play was shaky. Jon would have sured that up, and while I am not saying Email would have stopped Lawson, I certainly think he could have picked his pockets a few times and make Ty play a little more conservatively. Any thoughts?

JDev
02-24-2009, 03:57 PM
That is one of those fun sports arguments that is impossible to answer, and can be debated either way, much like how Duke would have faired in Chapel Hell last year had the Heels had Lawson. I have no idea, but I do know that it would have probably helped Duke's cause, if you compare the Elliot of the last two games with the Paulus and Nolan we saw in that game. Interesting argument, but who knows?

Delaware
02-24-2009, 04:16 PM
I just finished a debate with a UNC fan/friend of mine. The topic was this:

Would Duke have won the first match-up this year if Duke was playing with the new line-up/rotation? I really think we would have pulled it off. The defensive intensity of Email on Ty, the bigger line-up and our ability to run without hesitation would have been a big difference. We only went 8 deep the first game, and to me, our PG play was shaky. Jon would have sured that up, and while I am not saying Email would have stopped Lawson, I certainly think he could have picked his pockets a few times and make Ty play a little more conservatively. Any thoughts?

We'll likely find out if it makes any difference in two weeks..... yes, it's away vs. home, but it will be interesting to see.

InSpades
02-24-2009, 04:26 PM
For the record... Nolan and Greg combined for:
50 minutes
19 points
5 assists
5 turnovers
6 steals
7 rebounds
8 of 14 from the field
2 of 5 from 3
1 of 1 from the line

Not exactly bad numbers. Also Elliot hasn't exactly been the answer to our problem against quick guards (see sunday night).

Really we just need to play an overall better game, and against Wake we did just that. We need atleast 2 of Jon, Gerald and Kyle to play (and shoot) well for us to have a chance to beat good teams. Against Wake they did just that, against UNC they didn't. The biggest difference between Duke now and Duke then is that Scheyer is shooting the ball much better. Against UNC Henderson and Scheyer combined to go 3 for 13 from 3. If they do that again it won't matter that Elliot is in the game.

Let's not talk about what ifs for the last UNC matchup and instead get excited about what could be for the upcoming matchup!

quickgtp
02-24-2009, 05:58 PM
For the record... Nolan and Greg combined for:
50 minutes
19 points
5 assists
5 turnovers
6 steals
7 rebounds
8 of 14 from the field
2 of 5 from 3
1 of 1 from the line

Not exactly bad numbers. Also Elliot hasn't exactly been the answer to our problem against quick guards (see sunday night).

Really we just need to play an overall better game, and against Wake we did just that. We need atleast 2 of Jon, Gerald and Kyle to play (and shoot) well for us to have a chance to beat good teams. Against Wake they did just that, against UNC they didn't. The biggest difference between Duke now and Duke then is that Scheyer is shooting the ball much better. Against UNC Henderson and Scheyer combined to go 3 for 13 from 3. If they do that again it won't matter that Elliot is in the game.

Let's not talk about what ifs for the last UNC matchup and instead get excited about what could be for the upcoming matchup!

Thanks for posting the stats. The 1 to 1 A/TO ratio wasn't very strong, and I really think that Email can/will pressure Lawson more than any of our players did in the first game. I think we can beat them, but you know the Carolina Seniors and last year players will be pumped that much more.....

mgtr
02-24-2009, 06:12 PM
Thanks for posting the stats. The 1 to 1 A/TO ratio wasn't very strong, and I really think that Email can/will pressure Lawson more than any of our players did in the first game. I think we can beat them, but you know the Carolina Seniors and last year players will be pumped that much more.....

The Carolina Seniors are playing for a better spot in the NBA draft = $$$$$. I expect they will play hard. We hope that none of our players are doing that!

BahamaDukie
02-24-2009, 06:17 PM
That is an inntersting discussion, but I agree that the only way to know is to play the game and see what happens....from game to game, and half to half....

IMHO, to beat UNC, regardless of our line-ups.... we must rebound better, slow Lawson, and shoot better......I think a zone would work very well against them, and limit easy open shots

To rebound we must get inside more, and not live on the Perimeter as much

to slow Lawson, we cannot do in a fast paced game, which is what he wants...we must slow it down

and to shoot better, we need to be more patient and run more motion, and not force shots at the end of the 30 sec clock....

We can beat UNC, and we can beat them at the Dean Dome....we looked energized, I just hope the next few weeks are not too brutal, and zap us going into the Tourney

MarkD83
02-24-2009, 07:19 PM
I was lucky enough to be at the game on Sunday night and from my vantage point Wake had to use both Smith and Teague at the same time to gain an advantage. Whoever Elliot was covering basically gave up and moved off to one corner and let the other guard go one on one against Jon. So can Duke handle 1 dominant guard with Elliot in the line-up? We will find out on Wed at9pm

moonpie23
02-24-2009, 08:36 PM
are we going to figure that two of our players have career nights? we did not shoot that well against unc.....we defended poorly OVERALL, (not talking about just lawson)..

duke would have to play much better to clip them..

SupaDave
02-24-2009, 08:58 PM
We'll likely find out if it makes any difference in two weeks..... yes, it's away vs. home, but it will be interesting to see.

The ACC has been somewhat kind to visiting teams this year. We'll be a different team than the one they saw in Durham.

phaedrus
02-24-2009, 09:03 PM
I was lucky enough to be at the game on Sunday night and from my vantage point Wake had to use both Smith and Teague at the same time to gain an advantage. Whoever Elliot was covering basically gave up and moved off to one corner and let the other guard go one on one against Jon. So can Duke handle 1 dominant guard with Elliot in the line-up? We will find out on Wed at9pm

I don't think this is true. Elliot got beat plenty of times.

MarkD83
02-24-2009, 09:09 PM
First of all with the game at the Dean Dome on senior night I do not expect UNC to lose. However, a little season pressure might start to creep in.

If a loss by UNC would drop them into a tie with any other team (Duke, Clemson, FSU being the likely candidates) will UNC feel some added pressure since they were supposed to win with ease and had a two game lead.