PDA

View Full Version : Best 30 plays in the last 30 years

vabluedevil
02-24-2009, 02:32 PM
I see that the top play of the last 30 years will be unveiled at the ACC championship game.

Could it be anything other than "The Shot" of Duke-Kentucky?

I readily admit I haven't seen many of the ones already shown so "The Shot" could have already played. What else would be worthy of the top spot?

shoutingncu
02-24-2009, 02:38 PM
While that's very likely the top play... I think it may be the "Top 30" plays from ESPN. I haven't been following too closely, so if someone has already seen tournament plays counted, then I would agree with you.

DukeCO2009
02-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Saw the title of this thread and immediately thought, "There's the pass to Laettner..."

Highlander
02-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Saw the title of this thread and immediately thought, "There's the pass to Laettner..."

See, I always think of Bob Harris's Radio call. To do it properly, your meter needs to get faster and louder as you go through it.

"Bobby Hurley up the floor with Laettner, They throw it the length of the court!!
Laettner catches!!!
Comes Down, Dribbles, SHOOOOTS!!!!!
SCOOOOOHRRRS!!!!!!!!

Christian Laettner has hit the bucket at the buzzer! The Blue Devils win it! 104-103! Look out Minneapolis! Here Come the Blue Devils!"

That one and the call from the end of the 1991 Kansas game always get me. That one goes something like.

"Five Seconds. Four. Three. Jordan lets fly!
It is Over!! The Destiny Darlings have done it!!
Duke wins its first National Championship 72-65 over the Kansas Jayhawks!!"

rasputin
02-24-2009, 03:45 PM
The Laettner play on the in-bounds pass against Connecticut has to make the grade too, perhaps the top 10. Certainly the Valpo miracle will be way up there.

FerryFor50
02-24-2009, 03:55 PM
I think the ad nauseum showing of that the Laettner play made many people hate Duke. Sigh.

roywhite
02-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Two offhand that should be in Top 10:

Keith Smart hits a jumper at buzzer for Indiana over Syracuse 1987 NCAA title
Mario Chalmers of Kansas hits a 3-pt at end of regulation to send 2008 final to O/T

hurleyfor3
02-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Google is your friend... Espn seems to have put videos of most of its top 30 on its Web site back in October. Not all of them, though; I can't find Jerome Lane shattering the backboard, and you know that's on the list.

They don't have to have been broadcast on espn, so one of them is in fact Laettner. I couldn't find a list.

This being the 30th anniversary of espn, I would have thought espn would have observed it by celebrating the fifth anniversary of the 25th anniversary of espn.

brianl
02-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Probably not in the top 5, but consideration in the top 30.

Lowe's pass to Whittenburg to win the 83 NCAA Title. (or was it Whittenburg to Lowe?)

sagegrouse
02-24-2009, 04:31 PM

Lowe's pass to Whittenburg to win the 83 NCAA Title. (or was it Whittenburg to Lowe?)

It was a missed shot by Dereck Whittenburg that was put back by Lorenzo Charles.

sagegrouse

roywhite
02-24-2009, 04:32 PM

Actually Wittenburg to Lorenzo Charles, but I agree, it should be up there.

DukieInKansas
02-24-2009, 04:38 PM
Actually Wittenburg to Lorenzo Charles, but I agree, it should be up there.

Continuing through the camera following Jimmy V as he tried to find someone to hug. :) I love that clip.