PDA

View Full Version : WaPo Article: What Happened to the Hoyas? Chemistry, Duke, Chemistry!

blueprofessor
02-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Bad chemistry on team since Sapp--Wright dustup at half of Duke game.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/23/AR2009022303075.html?nav=rss_opinion/columns

Best regards--Blueprofessor :):D

killerleft
02-24-2009, 11:37 AM
It costs $53,000 to go to Georgetown for a year? I didn't realize that.

InSpades
02-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Do you think maybe Mr. Monroe is regretting his decision right about now? Not sure if a run at the NIT championship was what he had in mind when he signed with Georgetown.

wisteria
02-24-2009, 02:46 PM
depends on if his mind is set on NBA, in which case I doubt he regrets. He's projected to be a very high pick anyway.

doctorhook
02-24-2009, 03:22 PM
Wisteria,

True, but good post season exposure can oftentimes improve/overinlfate a player's draft status ie M. Dunleavy. Doc

SilkyJ
02-24-2009, 04:30 PM
It costs $53,000 to go to Georgetown for a year? I didn't realize that.

thats about what Duke is. It was $44k (all in. tution + room & board etc.) my senior year which was a few years ago and it tended to jump $2-3k every year so I'd bet we're hovering around 50k this year.

JasonEvans
02-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Wisteria,

True, but good post season exposure can oftentimes improve/overinlfate a player's draft status ie M. Dunleavy. Doc

Being a part of a successful team carries a lot of weight too versus being part of a team falling apart at the seams.

NBADraft.net projects Monroe as the #8 player in the 2009 draft right now. It is not at all a leap to suggest that if he was manning the middle for a Duke team that cuold be #1 right now (there is little question in my mind that Monroe would make us a lot better this year) that Monroe's stock could be at least a little bit higher. There is hardly any way I could imagine it being lower.

What's more, at Duke he would be getting more exposure, more TV time, and have more of the American public noticing him (endorsement dollars!!) to say nothing of the folks who would talk about and see him as we play deep into the NCAA tourney (we hope!!).

There is also the matter of currying favor with Coach K, who very well may be the coach of the 2012 Olympic team too ;)

--Jason "every kid decides on a school for a reason and I doubt any of them regret it-- but still, Monroe to Duke would have been such an ideal fit" Evans

MarkD83
02-24-2009, 09:00 PM
The difficulty with playign the "what if" game is that there are other ripple effects that it is hard to factor into the equation.

For example if Monroe was at Duke, Miles would not be at Duke. Right now that might not be a big deal. However, Miles is showing signs that he is ready to contribute next year. Without Miles at Duke perhaps Mason reconsiders his choice.....so it is fun to speculate but if we start to think about the secondary and tertiary effects things get a little mirkier.

JasonEvans
02-24-2009, 09:53 PM
The difficulty with playign the "what if" game is that there are other ripple effects that it is hard to factor into the equation.

For example if Monroe was at Duke, Miles would not be at Duke. Right now that might not be a big deal. However, Miles is showing signs that he is ready to contribute next year. Without Miles at Duke perhaps Mason reconsiders his choice.....so it is fun to speculate but if we start to think about the secondary and tertiary effects things get a little mirkier.

I totally hear you. It is a silly game to play.

One thing I would add though-- Mason committed to Duke before Miles was even thinking about coming here. Miles had already committed to Stanford when Mason committed to Duke. Mason's commitment probably had very little to do with what Miles was thinking.

Now, your point about Miles' development is true and I suspect that if Duke had a commitment from Monroe we would not have given a scholarship offer to Miles, but the notion that Monroe would have affected Mason does not seem likely to me. Similarly, I don't think Monroe would have affected Ryan Kelley's decision either.

In fact, I think the biggest impact of Monroe coming to Duke, from a personnel standpoint, would have been to entice Miles to stay at Stanford and work with JD to rebuild that program. In the grand scheme of things, I am not sure that would have been all that bad a thing. I am not saying I am not glad to have Miles here. I think he will play a significant role for Duke this year and in future years. I am quite glad to have him... but, if we had Monroe right now and JD had Miles, that is a trade that would have likely been a win-win for everyone involved ;)

--Jason "ok, I am all done with this foolishness-- re-inventing the present based on past decisions by 18-year-olds is just silly on my part" Evans

MADevil30
02-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Being a part of a successful team carries a lot of weight too versus being part of a team falling apart at the seams.

NBADraft.net projects Monroe as the #8 player in the 2009 draft right now. It is not at all a leap to suggest that if he was manning the middle for a Duke team that cuold be #1 right now (there is little question in my mind that Monroe would make us a lot better this year) that Monroe's stock could be at least a little bit higher. There is hardly any way I could imagine it being lower.

What's more, at Duke he would be getting more exposure, more TV time, and have more of the American public noticing him (endorsement dollars!!) to say nothing of the folks who would talk about and see him as we play deep into the NCAA tourney (we hope!!).

There is also the matter of currying favor with Coach K, who very well may be the coach of the 2012 Olympic team too ;)

--Jason "every kid decides on a school for a reason and I doubt any of them regret it-- but still, Monroe to Duke would have been such an ideal fit" Evans

Honestly, I can understand why Monroe chose Georgetown. There's a reason they refer to it as "Big Man U," I think Monroe was a really good fit for JT3's system, one that works the ball down low a lot more than ours does; even with Monroe I'm not sure we would have changed our fast-break, play the wings strategy all that much. The fit would have been great for Duke, but in terms of showcasing for the NBA, I can see how Georgetown was a better fit, especially when you take into account that they were supposed to be a top 15 team with lots of late season air time. As MarkD83 said, we now have Miles with Mason and Ryan Kelley coming in; these are guys who Coach K can develop into solid big men that have games that really fit our system for the long haul.

dukie8
02-24-2009, 10:32 PM

based on what? nba teams don't care how many wins a player's college team does or does not have. they care about how good they think you can be at the nba level. humphries sure didn't take a hit in college.

that is a massive leap as there is no way he would have moved ahead of griffin no matter where he played this year. griffin has been destroying people offensively this year. i have seen him play enough this year to conclude that there is no way that he would be putting up a 40/20 anywhere (is there anyone in college who could do that?)

you also have no idea how he would be playing at duke had he gone to duke. it's entirely possible that his numbers across the board would be much lower playing in duke's offense and deferring to henderson and singler. moreover, duke hasn't exactly had the best track record the past few years in developing big men in 1 year (eg, randolph, zoubek, thomas, etc).

since when has playing 1 year at duke led to a windfall of endorsements in the nba (particularly when that 1 year is at a non all american level)? the guy is a projected lottery pick this year if he wants it so you can't fault him with his college choice. yes, he would have helped duke this year, but i really think that it has long past the time to have just moved on with monroe not coming to duke.

on a related note, i do enjoy watching the implosion that has occurred in hoya land.

ice-9
02-24-2009, 10:52 PM
I am quite glad to have him... but, if we had Monroe right now and JD had Miles, that is a trade that would have likely been a win-win for everyone involved ;)

Everyone except for Georgetown! :D

DukeWarhead
02-25-2009, 10:36 AM
Wisteria,

Just ask Wally Szczerbiak. From relative obscurity to #6 in the draft in three games.

dukie8
02-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Just ask Wally Szczerbiak. From relative obscurity to #6 in the draft in three games.

relative obscurity? he averaged 24 points per game his junior and senior years and was a 1st team all american. do you really think that the nba teams flipped on their tv sets during the 1999 ncaat and were like "who's this wally guy?"

doctorhook
02-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Dukie8,

" Relative obscurity " may be a little overstated, but I would certainly agree that his draft status was enhanced alot by his NCAA performance. As for AA honors, a number of those are not announced/voted on until the completion of a few tourney games or even after the FF, correct? Doc

dukie8
02-25-2009, 01:46 PM
Dukie8,

" Relative obscurity " may be a little overstated, but I would certainly agree that his draft status was enhanced alot by his NCAA performance. As for AA honors, a number of those are not announced/voted on until the completion of a few tourney games or even after the FF, correct? Doc

no. it is completely ridiculous mistaken recollection of his status in college basketball. he lit it up for 2 straight years and was very well known by nba scouts prior to the 1999 ncaat. do you guys really think that the nba scouts sit around and only watch bcs teams play all year long and are taken by surprise if anyone from a mid major does something in the ncaat? i mean there are professionals employed by nba teams who spend all year long analyzing players and their net does go behind bcs teams.

pouring in 40+ points in an ncaat game certainly didn't hurt his draft status but he was anything but obscure to the people who draft in the nba. also, the all american teams may be announced during the ncaat but they are voted on before it.

doctorhook
02-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Dukie 8,

So you are of the opinion that WS's draft status was not enhanced by the NCAA tourney performance? How about Mike D? As for AA honors, the voting varies from team to team, but some, I think are not voted on until at least some of the NCAA tourney is complete. Doc

blueprofessor
03-03-2009, 01:14 PM
some crazies during the post-game handshake with Duke players and told them "f*** you!".

I wonder if punks create chemistry problems?:D

Best regards---Blueprof:)