PDA

View Full Version : Laettner a Guest on Washington Post Live

gw67
02-24-2009, 07:52 AM
According to this morning's Post, Laettner will be a guest on Washington Post Live which is on Comcast Sports Net in DC area between 5-6pm. He will discuss the upcoming Duke-Maryland game. I recall when Laettner, Dixon and Blake were all members of the Wizards and they made a bet before the Duke-Maryland game. Laettner commented at the time that it was like taking money from a baby. I don't follow the NBA but I noted that Jumbo's favorite player got 14 assists in one quarter the other evening. As someone who has been a fan of the ACC for a long time, I've watched a number of top notch playmakers and passers and Blake certainly belongs among the best. My top group would include Hurley, Blake, Cota, Duhon, Bogues and Brad Davis. Hurley was the best all around player of this group and Davis was the best (and most creative) passer.

gw67

Memphis Devil
02-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere but Laettner was just on the Dan Patrick Show.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/

Apparently, he is doing a Vitamin Water ad with Pitino.

roywhite
02-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere but Laettner was just on the Dan Patrick Show.

Patrick claims that Laettner told him he won't even stop for bathroom breaks if he's driving through Kentucky (would sooner pee in a cup).

Don't get to Kentucky much myself, but I have some clients who are UK grads and Big Blue fans; they tend to be an unforgiving group. :eek:

JDev
02-24-2009, 12:16 PM

Laettner talked about the ad, where he evidently haunts Pitino over "The Shot." Patrick proposed a reality show where a camera crew follows Laettner around Kentucky, with the finally culminating with a trip to Rupp Arena. If that show were to exist, I don't know that he would ever make it to the final show.

WeepingThomasHill
02-24-2009, 12:32 PM
Laettner is Duke's Greatest of All Time. A series of horrible coaches and situations kept him from being a Hall of Famer in the League.

I wish Laettner would meet the team in the locker room at Comcast before the game and get them fired up. Sweaty is going to have that team whipped into a frenzy. We need to come out swinging hard, just like the Wake game, to stay with the resurgent Terps. I would love to see Laettner go against General Grevious. Vasquez's chest may inadvertently hit Laettner's foot.

JDev
02-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Laettner also talked a little about the "Duke gets all the calls" perception when Patrick inevitably brought it up. Laettner didn't disagree, which surprised me. Instead he tried to explain why that notion exists, and why they seem to get the benefit in his eyes. He said that Coach K gets the players to play so hard that it becomes impossible to call everything. In his eyes, the amount of effort put forth leads to the way the game gets called.

Highlander
02-24-2009, 01:06 PM

Heard the second half of the interview. It was OK, nothing spectacular. They asked him about the shot and the stomp, and he gave pretty much the same answers he always gives.

Laettner also said that if he had 1 draft pick and needed a PG and a PF, he'd choose Griffin over Curry or Hansbrough because Griffin had the most potential. He clarified his remark saying he didn't know which one of the three would be the better pro, because there were a lot of things that they couldn't control in that (like coaches and teammates), but said Griffin had the best chance of the three. He also said that he really liked Tyler's effort and thought he could play well at the next level, even though he'd already passed Laettner's scoring mark.