PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke-Maryland Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Pages : [1] 2

bjornolf
02-23-2009, 09:37 AM
I just thought that since it's Monday morning and we're all still basking in the glow, I'd go ahead and start the Maryland thread with a little story.

Everybody remembers the famous "gone in 54" game, right? My parents were at that game in their Duke gear, pulling for the devils. Now, a little background on my mom. She's a very large lady (both physically and in personality) who has a LOT of health problems that I won't get into here. She comes from a long line of French Creole women, and she likes to joke that she's a witch that can curse people. I don't know about that, but her "curses" seem to have a startling success rate (I remember when I was a teenager, I was being a particular pill... I stalked out of the room and went down the stairs to the basement. As I started down the stairs, she turned to my dad and put a curse on me. I was half a house away and couldn't here a word they said, but the second she finished her curse, they heard a loud crash as I slipped and fell down the entire wooden staircase. Take what you will from that story. I have about twenty more like that, too.)

Anyway, my parents were at the game, and with one minute left, dad said it was time to go, as they didn't want to get stuck in traffic. As they walked out the door, mom looked the bronze testudo in front of Cole square in the eye from her wheelchair and scruffed it under the chin and said "You're cute, but you're gonna lose". As he pushed her wheelchair toward the car, Dad heard the groaning sound from the building as Jason started his magic. By the time they hit I-95, Maryland was reeling. My dad, who never really believed in Mom's "magic", has never questioned it again. Maybe Mom sold her soul to the "blue" devil. ;)

BTW, as we left Comcast last night after the women's game, she had another little talk with her old buddy, Testudo. Let's hope it works out as well this time, eh?

Anyway, just a fun story to start the week.

captmojo
02-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Good to know "Marie Laveau" is on the right side. ;)

Kewlswim
02-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Hi,

I feel that if the Devils beat Maryland it will almost be as important as this win. We need to learn to win on the road (a hostile venue) in late February again.

I feel that Zoubs will get some play because of the shorter Terps. However, I am not sure I would mess with a good thing. I would like to see Miles play some more and get the majority of the "Big Man" minutes. I would love to see Nolan light it up too and get his confidence back, I felt he was sort of called for ticky-tack fouls in the Wake Game.

More than anything, we need to win. I know that Maryland will be hungry. I think we, in a strange way, match-up better with Maryland than does UNC. Maybe I just see the world through Duke colored glasses though.

GO DUKE!

flyingdutchdevil
02-23-2009, 02:24 PM
With the exception of Vasquez, have there been any real changes at Maryland? They are still very undersized and it seems as if all the players haven't improved that much. When Vasquez played us, he had the worst game ever. While I don't expect his to play so poorly this time around, I think that neutralizing Vasquez is the first key in beating Maryland - and Coach K knows this.

While I think they may have improved, I am feeling a little optimistic about beating Maryland. As was previously said, this is a great game for Nolan and Zoubs to shine once more.

That said, is Zoubs fully out of the rotation? Or did he not play against Wake due to matching up issues? Is he sick? Injured?

yancem
02-23-2009, 02:36 PM
More than anything, we need to win. I know that Maryland will be hungry. I think we, in a strange way, match-up better with Maryland than does UNC. Maybe I just see the world through Duke colored glasses though.

GO DUKE!

I think part of the reason that Duke may match up better against MD than UNC is that we have solid defensive guards that are better equipped to handle Vasquez. UNC has a tendency to try to turn every game into a sprint which can negate their size advantage. This also plays into the the way MD needs to play inorder to have a shot of winning.

Hopefully Duke can turn up the defensive pressure and be patient on offense, feeding the ball down low or driving the lane to put the Turtles in foul trouble.

wisteria
02-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Cliff Tucker has recently emerged for Maryland.

IIRC, he's the kid who said before last year's Duke game that he hated duke so much that he would rather have gone to a DII team than go to duke. He was MIA in that game.

Tucker was no where to be found in the Cameron game this year as well. Sometime after the game, Tucker openly complained about his lack of minutes. Williams obliged. And CT has been playing very good basketball for the Maryland team, including a huge game against UNC.

quickgtp
02-23-2009, 03:17 PM
I believe we will see more our our "bigs" in this game. Plumlee needs to get some more PT and I am sure Zoubs will see the hardwood. I am hoping Nolan steps it up a notch since he is playing in his home county of PG.

Duke 77
UMD 68

BTW, who guards Vasquez in this one?

Rudy
02-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Both teams are coming off emotional wins so the letdown factor should be about even, maybe even in Duke's favor because Maryland's win was a huge upset.

I don't see Vasquez doing what he did against UNC twice in a row. But in the ACC almost anything can happen. I actually expect Md to stay with us for the first 10-15 minutes and then crumble.

SMO
02-23-2009, 06:02 PM
I believe we will see more our our "bigs" in this game. Plumlee needs to get some more PT and I am sure Zoubs will see the hardwood. I am hoping Nolan steps it up a notch since he is playing in his home county of PG.

Duke 77
UMD 68

E.T. says "Elllliiioooottt".

DukePA
02-23-2009, 06:51 PM
I just thought that since it's Monday morning and we're all still basking in the glow, I'd go ahead and start the Maryland thread with a little story.

Everybody remembers the famous "gone in 54" game, right? My parents were at that game in their Duke gear, pulling for the devils. Now, a little background on my mom. She's a very large lady (both physically and in personality) who has a LOT of health problems that I won't get into here. She comes from a long line of French Creole women, and she likes to joke that she's a witch that can curse people. I don't know about that, but her "curses" seem to have a startling success rate (I remember when I was a teenager, I was being a particular pill... I stalked out of the room and went down the stairs to the basement. As I started down the stairs, she turned to my dad and put a curse on me. I was half a house away and couldn't here a word they said, but the second she finished her curse, they heard a loud crash as I slipped and fell down the entire wooden staircase. Take what you will from that story. I have about twenty more like that, too.)

Anyway, my parents were at the game, and with one minute left, dad said it was time to go, as they didn't want to get stuck in traffic. As they walked out the door, mom looked the bronze testudo in front of Cole square in the eye from her wheelchair and scruffed it under the chin and said "You're cute, but you're gonna lose". As he pushed her wheelchair toward the car, Dad heard the groaning sound from the building as Jason started his magic. By the time they hit I-95, Maryland was reeling. My dad, who never really believed in Mom's "magic", has never questioned it again. Maybe Mom sold her soul to the "blue" devil. ;)

BTW, as we left Comcast last night after the women's game, she had another little talk with her old buddy, Testudo. Let's hope it works out as well this time, eh?

Anyway, just a fun story to start the week.

I love that story! Tell your mom thanks for having a talk with the turtle. If the turtle knows what's best, he'll listen to her :D

BD80
02-23-2009, 06:59 PM
... a little background on my mom. ... She comes from a long line of French Creole women, and she likes to joke that she's a witch that can curse people. ...

Maybe Mom sold her soul to the "blue" devil. ;)

Mmmm, French Creole, don't they have some good recipes for turtle?

Think she could "cook" something up for Wednesday?

JDev
02-23-2009, 08:08 PM
UM will be playing for their collective tournament life, and I'm sure Gary is hyping this one as a "win-and-you're-in" kind of game. The key to Maryland is very clear: Vasquez. Duke has to do a better job keeping him out of the lane than they have with other recent elite ACC guards. I can't imagine he will be the non-factor he was in Durham, but Duke's guards are much better defensively than UNC's, so I don't see him having that type of game either. Duke is flat out better, and the new line-up looked great yesterday. Time to road-test it against an able and motivated ACC opponent.

jv001
02-23-2009, 08:30 PM

Duke 77
UMD 68

Zoubek's line: 9 points, 9 rebs, 4 blocks in 18 mins. in the first md game. I'm wondering how many mins he gets in the rematch. Elliot played well in the first game also: 9 points in just 14 mins. If we play like we're suppose to we win by 15 pts. Go Duke!

gw67
02-24-2009, 11:28 AM
The Terps have gone 4-3 since the battering at CIS. The principal changes in their play since the Duke game are:

Dupree has been relegated to the end of the bench.
Tucker has gotten some playing time in the last 5 games.
Mosley replaced Hayes in the starting line-up.
Burney has recovered from an early season injury and has recently gotten some minutes.
Starting Mosley in the backcourt along with Bowie has been a mistake, IMO. I like both players but they do not complement one another. Both are decent defensive players and get garbage points but neither is an outside shooter. Bowie has made 3 three pointers in the last 17 games while Mosley has made 4 three pointers in 26 games. The combination of a non-existent inside game and a weak outside shooting game does not work against good teams. The Terps stayed with the Heels and made their comeback with Hayes and Tucker in the backcourt. I wouldn't expect both Hayes and Tucker to start but at least one should, IMO.

Like before, I think that the Devils have too much talent for Maryland. The Terps need to play very well at home to keep the game close.

gw67

Reddevil
02-24-2009, 12:39 PM
IMO, Maryland just does not match up well with Duke this year. Grievous is similar to Jon in that he is a savvy player. Not that he has not been great against Duke in the past, but that is not the type of player that has given Duke fits this time around. The quick penetrating guards have been a problem this year, and Maryland does not have that. Their lack of size compounds the problem with Duke. I see Kyle having a big game because the turtles have little answer for his skill set. This is also the type of matchup where Brian and Miles can be factors. It has been a little while since Duke has faced an opponent where this is the case, so it will be interesting to see how they are utilized. Emotion should make this competitive for the first 8 minutes, and in stretches thereafter, but if Duke can match the initial intensity, it will be hard for Maryland to play with them for 40 minutes. This is what makes the college game so special. Maryland matches up better with Carolina than with Duke. Clemson matches up better with Duke than with Carolina, etc. What does it all mean?...nothing but excitement! Bring on the madness.

JDev
02-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Like before, I think that the Devils have too much talent for Maryland. The Terps need to play very well at home to keep the game close.

gw67

I completely agree, but the same could be said about UNC, and it didn't turn out well for them. That being said, Duke matches up better with UM, in both playing style and personnel. I want to laud Duke's defense and its obvious superiority to UNC's, but this Duke team has let the opposition make over half of their shots for six straight games (I believe). There is no doubt this Duke team can be great defensively, and I think they will get back to that against UM. The Wake game was an offensive resurgence, and I think this game will provide one on the defensive end. Duke is still working the new line-up and substitution pattern, and this will be another step uphill.

rasputin
02-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Watching the Kansas-Oklahoma game last night, as they were hyping our upcoming matchup with Maryland, one of the announcers kept referring to the 41-point beatdown as if Maryland was the team that won the first go-round. Did anybody else notice that? It was both annoying and amusing at the same time, and AFAIK ESPN didn't correct it.

taiw93
02-24-2009, 10:00 PM
I usually try to keep negativity towards other teams' fanbases to a minimum, and happen to find rival fans, in general, to be at least relatively classy. However, I found this link absolutely appalling, and was amazed at both the classlessness by the UMD fans, and the carelessness by the hotel staff: http://www.terpcenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7054

Ders24
02-24-2009, 10:07 PM
You're missing an "again" in the title. But yeah, that's ridiculous.

roywhite
02-24-2009, 10:12 PM
They're Maryland fans.

Nothing amazing about their actions...just typical, same old same old Terp fans, just bein' themselves.

captmojo
02-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Amazing. If you can't win on the court, try to do it on the phone? Their site doesn't even have the correct time on the posts. What pros. :cool:

JasonEvans
02-24-2009, 10:28 PM
Holy %!%!%, it is true. I figured there was no way it was true so I called the hotel and asked for Chris Collins' room. The hotel operator connected me right away-- no questions asked. I was shocked.

I told Coach Collins that I was a Duke fan and that a Maryland fan bulletin board had gotten info about their hotel. I warned him that many fans were planning to call their rooms late tonight. I suggested that he call the front desk and tell them to not put through calls to the Duke rooms. He said, "thanks man," though I am not sure he really cared.

Maybe what I did was really uncool, but I think it is worth warning the team as I bet they would have gotten a few late night calls when they were sleeping.

-Jason "wow-- really surprised it was that easy to get through to the team" Evans

taiw93
02-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Whoops - Just to clarify, obviously based on the context of the post, I didn't mean "lack of classlessness." I meant either "lack of class" or just plain "classlessness." I guess thinking and typing and drinking a soda all simultaneously is not a good idea :D

-jk
02-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Whoops - Just to clarify, obviously based on the context of the post, I didn't mean "lack of classlessness." I meant either "lack of class" or just plain "classlessness." I guess thinking and typing and drinking a soda all simultaneously is not a good idea :D

so edited.

-jk

dahntaysdawg
02-24-2009, 10:37 PM
Holy %!%!%, it is true. I figured there was no way it was true so I called the hotel and asked for Chris Collins' room. The hotel operator connected me right away-- no questions asked. I was shocked.

I told Coach Collins that I was a Duke fan and that a Maryland fan bulletin board had gotten info about their hotel. I warned him that many fans were planning to call their rooms late tonight. I suggested that he call the front desk and tell them to not put through calls to the Duke rooms. He said, "thanks man," though I am not sure he really cared.

Maybe what I did was really uncool, but I think it is worth warning the team as I bet they would have gotten a few late night calls when they were sleeping.

-Jason "wow-- really surprised it was that easy to get through to the team" Evans

Jason,
I just did the exact same thing except I just asked for the first name that came to me and I asked for Scheyers room. He answered and I told him what was going on, he said "Thanks man, I really appreciate it" and gave me the room number to call to report it. I called and told the guy in the room what was up and he asked for the name of the website so I don't know if I helped or not, I should've asked for one of the assistant coaches though because we don't need their jump shots tomorrow night.

Truth
02-24-2009, 10:47 PM
Jason,
I just did the exact same thing except I just asked for the first name that came to me and I asked for Scheyers room. He answered and I told him what was going on, he said "Thanks man, I really appreciate it" and gave me the room number to call to report it. I called and told the guy in the room what was up and he asked for the name of the website so I don't know if I helped or not, I should've asked for one of the assistant coaches though because we don't need their jump shots tomorrow night.

Hmm... is anyone else concerned that our team is receiving more "helpful" calls from Duke fans on resolving this situation than "harmful" prank calls from Terp nation?

BlueintheFace
02-24-2009, 11:00 PM
yah, no more calls people. They know. Geez, this is weird if it is true.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-24-2009, 11:00 PM
I usually try to keep negativity towards other teams' fanbases to a minimum, and happen to find rival fans, in general, to be at least relatively classy. However, I found this link absolutely appalling, and was amazed at both the classlessness by the UMD fans, and the carelessness by the hotel staff: http://www.terpcenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7054

They're Maryland fans.

Nothing amazing about their actions...just typical, same old same old Terp fans, just bein' themselves.
Yes, they're Maryland fans, or, members of DUMB back in the mid 70's, who did this to opposing football teams visiting Durham several times. :eek::eek:

I find it more unbelievable that Jason and others have gotten through to our players and coaches to warn them. Also surprised that Coach Collins wasn't a bit more upset about the whole thing. Maybe he was upset and just kept his game face on while on the phone. :eek:

dahntaysdawg
02-24-2009, 11:02 PM
Yes, they're Maryland fans, or, members of DUMB back in the mid 70's, who did this to opposing football teams visiting Durham several times. :eek::eek:

I find it more unbelievable that Jason and others have gotten through to our players and coaches to warn them. Also surprised that Coach Collins wasn't a bit more upset about the whole thing. Maybe he was upset and just kept his game face on while on the phone. :eek:

Yeah, he may have been aware already, couldn't really tell if Jon knew or not but he knew the room number to refer me to. Not really sure who the guy was but he asked for the website so they are looking into it I'm sure. I agree no more calls, at least I got to talk to Jon for about 30 seconds.

taiw93
02-24-2009, 11:03 PM
Hmm... is anyone else concerned that our team is receiving more "helpful" calls from Duke fans on resolving this situation than "harmful" prank calls from Terp nation?
Yes, but the Duke fans won't be calling at 2 am. ;)

captmojo
02-24-2009, 11:03 PM

Exemplary service for the team, ya'll! Great job! I'm sure they would thank you for it.

moonpie23
02-24-2009, 11:05 PM
i've contacted the team also, they are working on it...

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-24-2009, 11:05 PM

I was surprised at how easily they were able to get through.

I wonder if such pranks happen much more often than we know, thus Chris was composed when he answered the call. Of course, over the phone it's difficult to gauge the veracity of the caller and the information.

Stray Gator
02-24-2009, 11:10 PM
I would be surprised if it isn't a matter of standard procedure that, when the team is staying at a hotel before a game, the coaches routinely require that calls to room telephones be blocked after the "lights-out" time anyway. So those clever Maryland fans who are planning to call Duke's players in the wee hours and ask whether they "have Prince Albert in a can" will, I suspect, be foiled.

Cameron
02-24-2009, 11:17 PM
Says Terp Center poster BMoreChil: "I'm working on the fire alarm. Stay tuned."

My favorite response is the very next post, which states, "No you're not."

Lol.

What a bunch of jerks. I hope we whack them by 25.

taiw93
02-24-2009, 11:28 PM
In the words of Borat, "Great Success!" I just checked that thread again, and a fellow named Blacky199 posted, "They aren't taking anymore calls right now :(" Now, I don't know if this is just standard procedure (to not take calls after lights-out), or if the calls Duke fans made to the hotel had an impact, but just for fun, I'll assume the latter. Great work everyone! Now our guys will be rested enough to whoop Maryland tomorrow!

moonpie23
02-24-2009, 11:37 PM
they shouldn't even be using their real names......rock stars always register under aliases......i shudder to think how accessable they might be to something more serious than just prank calls...

i hope they rip md hard tomorrow......and i hope the hotel manager gets an ear full of coach K....

BlueintheFace
02-24-2009, 11:48 PM
I didn't call, but apparently they are still putting people through. The coaches definitely know. Nobody else call.

duketaylor
02-24-2009, 11:49 PM
just being Md fan, bunch of idiots. They'll get theirs.

sivartrenrag
02-25-2009, 12:00 AM
All I have to say is this:

85-44.

Kewlswim
02-25-2009, 12:15 AM
Hi,

I wonder if Coach Collins and Jon are actually the same person and if the people who call in are all being sent to a student manager or someone else who determines if the person is legit and then if legit sends the message on to the right person? Also, I would be surprised if anyone can really go down the hall where the Duke players are sleeping. There is probably a guard with a loaded mace bottle or two to make sure nobody walks where they shouldn't. If the players lived in Wannamaker where I was a freshman the student-athletes can sleep through anything. I have a feeling that this phone prank has been done so often the team knows how to handle it. I hope this is the case.

GO DUKE!

UrinalCake
02-25-2009, 12:25 AM
Yeah, it's not like this is the first time the team has ever stayed in a hotel, or even one whose location was leaked. They know how to handle this. And if anything it will get them more fired up for the game.... remember Vasquez's comments before the last game? How'd that work out for him?

CameronCrazy'11
02-25-2009, 12:33 AM
To me, it seems that Maryland's creepy obsession with Duke, a school who doesn't even consider them a rival, just proves how pathetic their program is.

phaedrus
02-25-2009, 12:42 AM
I am just flattered at the continual attention to Duke that oozes from Maryland fans.

It's kind of like having a creepy/psychotic stalker girl. Yeah, it's a bit annoying and sometimes frightening, but you also have to feel good about being the only thing these people ever think about.

geraldsneighbor
02-25-2009, 12:44 AM
They are also planning "Scheyer Face 2.0" according to Facebook. I really can't wait to see the rapture of obscene chants tomorrow.

G said it best. "We love playing there."

They should've beat us there last year. Then, G and D-Marc took over. I expect a big win tomorrow and it won't even matter. It is sad how pathetic they really are.

geraldsneighbor
02-25-2009, 12:50 AM
Is anyone more thankful how much better our board is run then the UMD one? The language that is displayed on there is indicative of the kind of folks which go to that school.

In all honesty though, how many other places do you think our players deal with this?

nyr484
02-25-2009, 12:58 AM
Haha someone on their board claims to be at the hotel throwing tennis balls at the windows of player's rooms. Yet he is posting on the board! Someone said, "using your iphone to post? Nice" and he claims he is in his car using the hotel's wireless. LOL.

This whole thing is pretty funny. Disturbing a visiting team at their hotel is nothing new or unique. This happens everywhere around the world in all sports. And any team that has any prestige has dealt with it, and I guarantee that Duke has security in place to deal with something like this. It's just sad that the message board honkies over there are trying to mount an organized effort. One dude is even offering cash to someone to buy a hotel room. Ha.

Well, let's say for argument's sake that a disturbed night's sleep is worth 40 points. We STILL win. Hehe.

geraldsneighbor
02-25-2009, 01:02 AM
It is a 9pm tip. I'm sure the guys nap between the shoot around and getting to the Arena around 7. I think they will be fine even if the Twerp fans are out there.

nyr484
02-25-2009, 01:09 AM
This is my 1st time ever perusing another team's board and it's actually really entertaining. They are apparently going to use a blown up picture of Zoubek with his girlfriend to bother him. Huh? She's kinda hot. I don't get how that's supposed to bother him.

Oh, and some guy over there plans to WOW us Duke fans with some really creative and classy cheers tomorrow. Here's the quote with the obscenity in #2 changed:

They haven't heard anything. Here's my list of the top 3 chants we must do.

1. TEABAG PAULUS CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP TEABAG PAULUS
2. SINGLER LIKES [alternate name for rooster that starts with 'C']
3. **** K **** K **** K **** K

Wow dude, you're a real rocket scientist. #1 was from last year. Kinda funny but you can't really talk after Henderson basically teabagged your entire team a few weeks ago. I know you MD fans are reading this so here's a reminder [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7fPuYZCG2M]

#2 and #3: just vulgar and pathetic. No thinking required. Just yell the first obscenity that pops in your head.

geraldsneighbor
02-25-2009, 01:13 AM
This is my 1st time ever perusing another team's board and it's actually really entertaining. They are apparently going to use a blown up picture of Zoubek with his girlfriend to bother him. Huh? She's kinda hot. I don't get how that's supposed to bother him.

Oh, and some guy over there plans to WOW us Duke fans with some really creative and classy cheers tomorrow. Here's the quote with the obscenity in #2 changed:

They haven't heard anything. Here's my list of the top 3 chants we must do.

1. TEABAG PAULUS CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP TEABAG PAULUS
2. SINGLER LIKES [alternate name for rooster that starts with 'C']
3. **** K **** K **** K **** K

Wow dude, you're a real rocket scientist. #1 was from last year. Kinda funny but you can't really talk after Henderson basically teabagged your entire team a few weeks ago. #2 and #3: just vulgar and pathetic. No thinking required. Just yell the first obscenity that pops in your head.

I love the fascination people have with Greg. Worrying about a teams back-up point guard and chanting he sucks is really interesting.

Mike Corey
02-25-2009, 01:19 AM
I'm told that a member of Maryland's Board of Trustees has been notified of all of these shenanigans, as has Len Elmore.

Stray Gator
02-25-2009, 01:32 AM
I'm told that a member of Maryland's Board of Trustees has been notified of all of these shenanigans, as has Len Elmore.

Terrific. Based on the attitudes we're accustomed to seeing from the University of Maryland administration and the commentary we're accustomed to receiving from Len Elmore in recent years, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they're all on their way over to the hotel now to join in the festivities.

Kewlswim
02-25-2009, 01:35 AM
Terrific. Based on the attitudes we're accustomed to seeing from the University of Maryland administration and the commentary we're accustomed to receiving from Len Elmore in recent years, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they're all on their way over to the hotel now to join in the festivities.

Hi,

I was just about to write something along these lines. LOL Touche Monsieur Gator.

GO DUKE!

Mike Corey
02-25-2009, 01:38 AM

Len just wants to be there to commentate: "Duke gets all the calls."

wisteria
02-25-2009, 01:40 AM
Len just wants to be there to commentate: "Duke gets all the calls."

POTD!!!

DukeCO2009
02-25-2009, 02:36 AM
Am I the only one here who thinks this is kindasortajustalittlebit funny? First of all, the Maryland fans are getting waaaaay too worked up about a regular season game. Secondly, some of the stuff they're doing is pretty hilarious if you take off your Duke hat--hilarious in slightly juvenile way, but hilarious all the same. I'm sure Duke fans have done far worse to fans of other schools, as am I certain that Duke's team has had far worse done to it than this. Knocking and runing, calling the players, and throwing tennis balls and the guys' windows is pretty harmless stuff. I'm confident that the coaching staff has taken care of everything worth taking care of and that the team is sleeping soundly. Maryland fans have done plenty of classless deeds in the past, but this little incident isn't one of them. Juvenile? Yes. Petty? Yes. Classless? Nope.

Oriole Way
02-25-2009, 02:44 AM
What they're doing is definitely bush league, but I really hope all their efforts just motivate our guys a little more to kick some Terps to the curb tomorrow night.

Lord Ash
02-25-2009, 07:24 AM
Just as the laughter slowed down after Gators comment, the "getting all the calls" comment set me off again. A fine one-two.

jimbonelson
02-25-2009, 07:31 AM
Am I the only one here who thinks this is kindasortajustalittlebit funny? First of all, the Maryland fans are getting waaaaay too worked up about a regular season game. Secondly, some of the stuff they're doing is pretty hilarious if you take off your Duke hat--hilarious in slightly juvenile way, but hilarious all the same. I'm sure Duke fans have done far worse to fans of other schools, as am I certain that Duke's team has had far worse done to it than this. Knocking and runing, calling the players, and throwing tennis balls and the guys' windows is pretty harmless stuff. I'm confident that the coaching staff has taken care of everything worth taking care of and that the team is sleeping soundly. Maryland fans have done plenty of classless deeds in the past, but this little incident isn't one of them. Juvenile? Yes. Petty? Yes. Classless? Nope.

I am with you on this one

Saratoga2
02-25-2009, 07:33 AM
No doubt the Terps will give their all and the crowd will be extremely hostile. Barring illness or injury we will bring our lineup that is hot.
Henderson, Scheyer, Singler, Thomas and Williams.

For subs, in the order that I would expect, I see:
Smith, McClure, Plumlee, Paulus and Zoubek.

As far as starter minutes:
Henderson (35) - He tends to need a blow from time to time tto keep him playing at the exceptional level of the past month. I expect to see him get a break once a half.
Scheyer (38) - He is so important to the team handling the baall, making decisions, scoring and defending, I see him only out for brief intervals if coach K wants to impaart some point to him.
Singler (35) - He plays so hard that he tends to get a little tired and also into foul trouble. He is essential going down the stretch in games. I see him getting a blow each half, in a similar manner as Henderson.
Thomas (28) - He is playing much better of late and is even getting points now. He still tends to be foul prone and in my view doesn't box out well which impacts his rebounding. I also think he could improve his help side defense.
Williams (30) - The light came on for him recently and he has played very well. His high energy can lead to foul issues and he probably needs a blow from time to time. I like the way he has been much more secure with the ball. He is a freshman going into a very hostile environment so he needs to deal with that. Probably will guard Vasquez.

If I am close to correct on time, that leaves 34 minutes for the subs.
Scheyers bench time will probably go to Smith
Williams bench time could go to either McClure (who could guard Vasquez) or to Smith.
Henderson's bench time could go to McClure, Smith or Paulus as a shooting guard.
Singler's bench time should go to Plumlee. If they need to protect by using a box in one, so be it. He does offer an inside threat on offense that Maryland would have problems with.
Thomas's bench time could go to McClure or Plumlee or possibly Zoubek depending on how the game plays out.

I am high on McClure in this game since he has the size, athletic ability and experience to guard Vasquez, while at the same time he boxes out better than anyone else on the team and gets rebounds. His drawback is limited offense.

Smith probably got a lot of pointers and encouragement after Wake and should bounce back with a good effort.

Plumlee is close to a breakout performance and it may come today.

Both Paulus and Zoubek have become more the situational players. They can help under the right circumstances.

I see Smith getting about 10 minutes, McLure about 12 minutes, Plumlee about 8 minutes and Paulus/Zoubek the remaining 4.

House G
02-25-2009, 07:42 AM
For those interested, Duke is a six point favorite--about what I expected.

moonpie23
02-25-2009, 08:07 AM
duke was 7 1/2 pt fav for the wake game....vegas is usually right, however, UNC was favored by 17 against md...

sagegrouse
02-25-2009, 08:44 AM

Don't even understand how this would be a problem. Several decades ago, while I was a grad student at Rice, Bill Murray brought Sonny Glacken, Dave Dunaway and the rest of the Devils to Houston to play the Owls (Duke 42, Rice 20). I tried to reach a friend on the team and was told by the hotel that all calls were blocked to the players' rooms.

I can't imagine, especially in an era of cell phones, why that policy would have changed.

sagegrouse

BlueDevilBaby
02-25-2009, 09:26 AM
I "sware", the twerps are so pathetic. Let's pound 'em, boys!

CameronBornAndBred
02-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Congrats to Jason, who's efforts gotthe attention of 850TheBuzz.
http://www.850thebuzz.com/blog/?p=7971

"Crude? Yes. Funny? Absolutely. Unless you’re a Duke fan over at the DBR message board, then you’ll likely feel this little prank should be tried as a war crime. Take moderator Jason Evans, who valiantly called the team (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14670)."

Unfortunately they went on to mention that Collins probably thought JE was a loser, so I lost respect immediately for whoever wrote the article. Anyways, good job and way to get some DBR facetime!

BlueintheFace
02-25-2009, 09:34 AM
All I have to say is that the Dukies outsmarted the Terps at their own game.

Advantage: Duke

DukeCO2009
02-25-2009, 09:48 AM

Yikes--the spelling and grammar mistakes in that post are making my head spin. I shouldn't post late at night/early in the morning. In any event, while I appreciate Jason's effort to help the team, I think we probably should have collectively left this alone and let the staff deal with things on its own. Maybe DBR saved a call or two from getting through and maybe not, but I imagine that after three or four prank calls K et al would've gotten the picture and sprung into action. I, myself, prefer laissez-faire fandom.

InaudibleWords
02-25-2009, 09:51 AM
What exactly does it take for the ACC to fine or penalize the Maryland athletic department for all the antics that go on the night before and during the game?? Sure, I'm posting on DBR and so I'm "treating this like a war crime," but honestly... when does it all become too much?

davekay1971
02-25-2009, 09:52 AM
I think the best response to all this will be delivered by the team. A 20+ point beatdown, leaving the Twerp fans, who come into the game all fired up and excited, grumbling and muttering and sinking back into the baseline unhappiness and bitterness that is their home, complete with the realization that they're just not in our league...and they're not our rival.

crimsonandblue
02-25-2009, 09:57 AM
You all realize this goes on lots of places in rivalries. Granted, mostly by the little brother of the rivalry. For example:

Prior to a Missouri-Kansas basketball game in 2003, members of the Antlers [a pack of rabid Mizzou student fans] prank called KU coach Roy Williams at his home at 2:27, 2:45, and 3:05 a.m. Such activities are what the Antlers are best known for. In the week prior the MU-KU game, they obtain the numbers of KU players and coaches and crank call them all week long. They also make huge signs with the players' names and phone numbers. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Antlers)

davekay1971
02-25-2009, 09:57 AM
What exactly does it take for the ACC to fine or penalize the Maryland athletic department for all the antics that go on the night before and during the game?? Sure, I'm posting on DBR and so I'm "treating this like a war crime," but honestly... when does it all become too much?

Probably about the time they're threatening and physically assaulting the Duke players' families...oh wait, that happened years ago.

In any event, the ACC probably doesn't have much place in policing the Maryland fans. The Maryland School For Troubled and Dysfunctional Youth, however, probably should care that their fans (tacitly endorsed by the coach) have given the school a rep for being classless and vulgar.

DukeCO2009
02-25-2009, 09:59 AM

I can understand maybe fining UMd for the bottle-throwing, etc. that goes on during games, but penalizing the school for the actions--the benign actions, at that--of a handful of college kids at a hotel is silly. Unless something awful happened beyond what has been confirmed on the Maryland boards, we need to stop getting so worked up over this and let it go.

davekay1971
02-25-2009, 09:59 AM
Attention Maryland fans: this is about the shortest pre-game thread since we started ACC play. I guess we just don't get that fired up for you.

Not our rivals...clap clap clap clap clap:D

gumbomoop
02-25-2009, 10:00 AM
This antic is silly and pathetic, but not a game-changer. However, it does lead me to ask those several/many of you close to the Duke program a question about which I've wondered regularly: when does the team travel/arrive for away games? Does it vary depending on distance, air schedules, game time, game importance? Frankly, I assumed that Duke would travel to Md today, this morn. So, would they have practiced yesterday (Tues) aft, then flown to Md last eve? Will they fly to Blacksburg Fri aft for Sat aft game? Just curious about how this works.

devildownunder
02-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Some mention of all this will end up on coverage of the game or on SportsCenter on Wednesday night. When it does, I want all of us over the age of, ooooh not very old at all really, let's say 30, to think about how much this indicates the world has changed in our lifetimes.

InaudibleWords
02-25-2009, 10:17 AM
I can understand maybe fining UMd for the bottle-throwing, etc. that goes on during games, but penalizing the school for the actions--the benign actions, at that--of a handful of college kids at a hotel is silly. Unless something awful happened beyond what has been confirmed on the Maryland boards, we need to stop getting so worked up over this and let it go.

I see what you're saying and it's more of me really wondering when it becomes too much rather than getting super worked up about it. Yes, The ACC and even the MD Athletic Department have no control over the actions of a few rogue fans, and I'm willing to bet there are more than a few nice MD fans, but I suppose I was really just taken aback by the viciousness.

Bottom line: Last night doesn't matter. Tonight does. Let's take it to them on the court! Let's Go Duke! :D

TillyGalore
02-25-2009, 10:24 AM
This makes me love wearing my Duke clothes, driving my Duke car, and professing my love for Duke basketball every time I visit my parents in Maryland.

GO DUKE!!!!

roywhite
02-25-2009, 10:32 AM
This makes me love wearing my Duke clothes, driving my Duke car, and professing my love for Duke basketball every time I visit my parents in Maryland.

GO DUKE!!!!

Fun is fun, and certain pranks go on at nearly every school. But I put Maryland fans in a different category...hostile, hateful, and sometimes dangerous.

I've been to games at Cole in the late 80's and was confronted and threatened twice
I've had a friend at a game at Cole in the early 1990's get punched in the face
The chants to JJ and about his sister were unspeakable
Coach K stopped taking his family to games at Maryland
Some of their "cheers" to this day are vulgar and hateful.
There is a tacit acceptance of this behavior by the Maryland coaches and administrators IMO.
Is the situation now better than in past years? maybe

The fanbase just doesn't deserve much slack; they've been awful in the past.

allenmurray
02-25-2009, 10:52 AM
K could put a stop to this easily. "President Obama? Yes, this is Mike Krzyzewski. I know he is really busy these days, but could I borrow Reggie Love for just a day or two? Thanks."

Then later, "Reggie, I'm sure you remember Vincent Ogabasse and Patrick Davidson. The three of you will be working togther tonight. Your mission, should you decide to accept it . . . "

Bluedog
02-25-2009, 11:02 AM
I find this whole situation / message board comments quite entertaining, although I, too, am glad they put a stop to it and didn't let calls get through past midnight, it seems. The message board of the three sites antics are especially entertaining. People talk like what they say can only be seen by authorized users of the site - uh, no, anybody on the internet can read it. Also, there seems to be DBR-TDD rivalry, a bit...

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=167&f=1386&t=3987341&p=2

edit to add that the righteous indignation was much worse on DBR than here, I actually lol'd reading the thread on DBR

And, yeah, I realize that neal990 can read this post... ;) One thing that is very different about TDD vs. DBR is the avators....Quite a difference.

Also, Zoubek's girlfriend is hot. Don't know why he'd be embarrassed seeing a picture of her. Random notes: basketball players should NOT put pictures on facebook, and all players should ask their girlfriends/friends to not post pictures of them either...Not that those pics are embarrassing, just sayin'..

http://www.terpcenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7054&page=8
http://www.terpcenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7054&page=7

that is one classic dorky duke thread over there.

ANOTHER TOOL [reference to DBR poster]...you cant make this stuff up...

The DBR has to be the worst message board on the internet. The people that run that place and post there make TTK's board look like a mensa meeting

haha. I find it hilarious, even though the antics of hotel calling are fairly childish. The message board bickering is funnier than the hotel situation, in my opinion.

watzone
02-25-2009, 11:22 AM
I had to read this thread twice this morning and look to see if it was April the 1st. This is not Coach K's first rodeo, so he is aware pranks can happen. There are protocals in place and I feel certain the first phone call from a prankster would have been sufficient enough to set the plans in action.

I don't think it's too healthy to read and take every thing on an opponents message board as facts.

The thing which bugs me is our fans "possibly" using this to overstep the boundaries and see it as an excuse to call, say Gerald.

"Gerald, I don't know if you have heard yet, but you need to shut your phone off. While I have you man, I wish you luck and hope you kill those Twerps. Your dunk against ... you are my fave ..."

This is nothing new for Terp fans and not that unexpected. I think I'll give reading other message boards a break on this one.

CLT Devil
02-25-2009, 11:38 AM
Wow....Z's girl is HOT! Respect.

We are Maryland. We win we riot. We lose we riot. We are Maryland....we riot.

It is funny the fascination they have. Just because we had some good games back in 2000-2003 does not mean that you are a rival. You're Bball team is irrelevant...but I would like to thank MD for the Carolina win.

Reddevil
02-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Some mention of all this will end up on coverage of the game or on SportsCenter on Wednesday night. When it does, I want all of us over the age of, ooooh not very old at all really, let's say 30, to think about how much this indicates the world has changed in our lifetimes.

While reading the posts over there, I had to go back to a time where I may have found these antics to be funny. 13-15 years old feels about right.

There are two ways to look at it:

Society in general is more base and crass than it was just 10-20 years ago (not that it was spectacular then).

On the other hand, life is a sorting out process, and it has never been easier to shine.

Shine on Duke! 88-58

OldSchool
02-25-2009, 12:19 PM
So Maryland students discover which hotel the Duke team is staying at, and the most clever pranks they can think of are to crank-call the rooms and throw stuff at the windows?

Look, I know it's Maryland, but it's still college, right? Stupid and drunk is no way to go through life, son.

TillyGalore
02-25-2009, 12:25 PM
So Maryland students discover which hotel the Duke team is staying at, and the most clever pranks they can think of are to crank-call the rooms and throw stuff at the windows?

Look, I know it's Maryland, but it's still college, right? Stupid and drunk is no way to go through life, son.

The game is on the college level, but I doubt all their posters are in college. I'd be willing to bet a majority of them are college grads, just like the majority of DBR posters are college grads.

bjornolf
02-25-2009, 12:41 PM
My favorite HAD to be the post by GWilliams8333. He posted at 11:24pm yesterday on page 3. His VERY FIRST post ever on that site read:

lol maryland...

This is sad.

Have fun losing by 40 again!

He was banned at 11:26 pm on page 4, two posts later. I wonder if there's any kind of guinness record for shortest membership to a web site? And we thought OUR mods were quick on the trigger. ;)

Mike Corey
02-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Apparently, all of the phone call issues were resolved by around 10 o'clock.

UrinalCake
02-25-2009, 01:06 PM
What cracks me up is that these people honestly think that they are affecting the game, that the Duke players are going to show up with bags under their eyes, unable to play because of what these fans did to them last night. They seriously believe this. One poster made reference to Duke's loss in the 2002 tournament and claimed that similar actions by Maryland fans were the reason for it. Geez. Why not put some effort into cheering on your own team?

As far as Z's girlfriend, I do think that harrassing a player's family member or significant other crosses the line of respectable fan behavior. I can't think of a time when Duke fans have done this, though I'm sure it has happened.

Bluedog
02-25-2009, 01:11 PM
As far as Z's girlfriend, I do think that harrassing a player's family member or significant other crosses the line of respectable fan behavior. I can't think of a time when Duke fans have done this, though I'm sure it has happened.

A few years ago this happened at Cameron. Forget who is was against, I'm sure somebody remembers. It was the ex-girlfriend of a player (who apparently went crazy and they had just broken up recently) named Caroline....And people just kept chanting "Caroline!" when the player went up to the line for free throws....He had a terrible game. No photos of her were blown up or anything though.

Stray Gator
02-25-2009, 01:13 PM
Apparently, all of the phone call issues were resolved by around 10 o'clock.

Judging from the content of the messages and nature of the humor, I suspect the vast majority of the posters on that Terp board would have been required to be in bed by that hour anyway. Missing the bus makes Mom angry and means being late for homeroom! ;)

-jk
02-25-2009, 01:24 PM
I suspect the Z picture will have his g'friend photoshopped out and someone else (and probably male) put in her place. That would be about their style.

-jk

SMO
02-25-2009, 01:26 PM
A few years ago this happened at Cameron. Forget who is was against, I'm sure somebody remembers. It was the ex-girlfriend of a player (who apparently went crazy and they had just broken up recently) named Caroline....And people just kept chanting "Caroline!" when the player went up to the line for free throws....He had a terrible game. No photos of her were blown up or anything though.

It was against Mich St. in 2004. Paul...I forget his last name, supposedly dated a Mich St. volleyball player named Caroline. When he lined up for FT's the Crazies chanted "Caroline" and "Call her back!". Seemed pretty mild compared to some UMD profanity and bottles thrown over the years.

Bluedog
02-25-2009, 01:29 PM
It was against Mich St. in 2004. Paul...I forget his last name, supposedly dated a Mich St. volleyball player named Caroline. When he lined up for FT's the Crazies chanted "Caroline" and "Call her back!". Seemed pretty mild compared to some UMD profanity and bottles thrown over the years.

Ah, thank you. It was Paul Davis. He apparently played for the Clippers the past two seasons, but was just waived by them last month...Yeah, it is definitely mild compared to what happens at Maryland and there wasn't any profanity involved.

SushiChef
02-25-2009, 01:30 PM

I'm pretty sure it was Paul Davis of Michigan State. The fans also sung "Sweet Caroline".

3rd Dukie
02-25-2009, 01:31 PM
I think the best response to all this will be delivered by the team. A 20+ point beatdown, leaving the Twerp fans, who come into the game all fired up and excited, grumbling and muttering and sinking back into the baseline unhappiness and bitterness that is their home, complete with the realization that they're just not in our league...and they're not our rival.

I wonder if they will storm the court if they lose by less than 41???

geraldsneighbor
02-25-2009, 01:33 PM
What cracks me up is that these people honestly think that they are affecting the game, that the Duke players are going to show up with bags under their eyes, unable to play because of what these fans did to them last night. They seriously believe this. One poster made reference to Duke's loss in the 2002 tournament and claimed that similar actions by Maryland fans were the reason for it. Geez. Why not put some effort into cheering on your own team?

The Crazies chanted at Ellington this year, "She Said No." in reference to him being shut down when he proposed to his girlfriend. Something to that effect.

geraldsneighbor
02-25-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm pretty sure it was Paul Davis of Michigan State. The fans also sung "Sweet Caroline".

That is hilarious though... UMD fans Bleep you JJ and think that is hilarious. Different strokes for different folks.

tele
02-25-2009, 01:36 PM
What a difference a game makes. If Maryland had won the first game against Duke, both teams are 7-5 in the ACC. The season would be looking a lot differently for both teams if this had happened. And now, If the turps can pull off the upset tonight, a huge win and change for their season and coach. As big as the Wake game was for Duke's season, this game is just as big for Maryland. The sweat should be flowing for this one.

Singler will be the man for Duke, and he's due.

geraldsneighbor
02-25-2009, 01:42 PM
What a difference a game makes. If Maryland had won the first game against Duke, both teams are 7-5 in the ACC. The season would be looking a lot differently for both teams if this had happened. And now, If the turps can pull off the upset tonight, a huge win and change for their season and coach. As big as the Wake game was for Duke's season, this game is just as big for Maryland. The sweat should be flowing for this one.

Singler will be the man for Duke, and he's due.

I agree. Singler IMO is due to break out and play well. I think Duke wins by 12 points in a game I think that will be highly entertaining. There is just something exciting about getting the chance to quiet 18,000 people...

Mike Corey
02-25-2009, 01:53 PM
The "college kids will be college kids" defense does not suffice in this situation, IMO.

Phone calls to hotel rooms are innocuous, perhaps. But planning to overrun a hotel with the intent to engage student-athletes in the middle of the night is sophomoric and unacceptable.

BD80
02-25-2009, 01:59 PM
I suspect the Z picture will have his g'friend photoshopped out and someone else (and probably male) put in her place. That would be about their style.

-jk

There is quite the fascination with male on male sexuality on the Md board.

Having viewed the pictures of BZ's girlfriend, it is easy to see why the terps are so jealous of the Duke players. I also don't feel so bad now for Brian if he doesn't get into a game.

DukeCO2009
02-25-2009, 02:14 PM
Hmm...not sure if I should believe it or not, but apparently sh*t hit the fan last night and three people were arrested. Would love to know what happened. Anyone have contacts at UMd?

bjornolf
02-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Man, has anybody read what they're writing over there now? Fake police reports about arrests, people pretending to be attorneys for the perpetrators, people claiming to have seen police cars and ambulances, injuries to Duke coaches and players. Wow, they really know how to play it up. One of my favorite rick rolls of all time!

People keep mentioning certain avatars over there. I'm trying to figure out if oralterpitude's avatar is supposed to be a guy or a gal.

snowdenscold
02-25-2009, 02:20 PM
Man, has anybody read what they're writing over there now? Fake police reports about arrests, people pretending to be attorneys for the perpetrators, people claiming to have seen police cars and ambulances, injuries to Duke coaches and players. Wow, they really know how to play it up. One of my favorite rick rolls of all time!

I know - I can't believe how much some people have played this up and how many people have bitten. I read through their entire thread and it was pretty sad to see the excitement some people got over what is so transparently fake.

BlueintheFace
02-25-2009, 02:20 PM
Don't believe anything you read on the MD boards. Unlike DBR, their moderators only have one job, to keep opposing fans out. Language is obscene, rumors are allowed to run rampant, sexual jokes are the norm.

I very much doubt that anybody was arrested.

Nothing to see here people... a couple of MD fans thought they were geniuses when they got the hotel information for the the team. A few prank calls were probably made before the Duke staff took care of the issue (as I am sure they often have to do). Everything else is unsubstantiated right now or a mildly amusing lie.

The End.

Epilogue:

Duke beats Md... students riot per usual.

bjornolf
02-25-2009, 02:34 PM
They DID find this over at the chronicle though. Even I thought it was a little over the top.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/media/paper884/stills/o13g8z56.jpg

The starting lineup has changed a bit since then.

They also found an interesting article in the chronicle (though they thought it was a message board) from a few years ago about a bonfire that got out of control and students throwing stuff at firefighters. http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2005/02/10/News/Misconduct.Puts.Future.Bonfires.In.Jeopardy-1459947.shtml

bjornolf
02-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Hey, I got mentioned by name over there! Awesome! This is hysterical.

Hancock 4 Duke
02-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Those moderators are horrible! They let anyone say anything. Maryland fans are just atrocious to just say that in a public place. If Zoubs really is injured, everyone in that board could be arrested, so the joke is on them!

Lord Ash
02-25-2009, 03:56 PM
Nothing happened except maybe some phone calls.

Cavlaw
02-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Those moderators are horrible! They let anyone say anything.

Kinda makes you appreciate us, doesn't it? :)

On another note, why is anyone even bothering to read their boards? Y'all must be really bored.

Rudy
02-25-2009, 04:49 PM
I agree. Singler IMO is due to break out and play well. I think Duke wins by 12 points in a game I think that will be highly entertaining. There is just something exciting about getting the chance to quiet 18,000 people...

None of them can guard Singler and none of them can guard G. Which one will get to 25 pts first? Maryland will hang around maybe 1/2 way through first half. But Duke will go up by 20 in the second half before relaxing and letting Maryland get to within 10-15 by game's end.

TillyGalore
02-25-2009, 04:54 PM

I do.

On another note, why is anyone even bothering to read their boards? Y'all must be really bored.

I am.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-25-2009, 04:57 PM

What's that you say about our Mensa meeting?

BlueintheFace
02-25-2009, 05:18 PM
The Maryland- Duke dynamic is really an interesting one if you think about it.

1) Duke pities Maryland (or looks down upon them at least) as a lesser ACC team than their rival Carolina and themselves.

2) Maryland hates Duke for pitying them instead of giving them the respect of a rival. They subsequently become very vocal about their hatred.

3) This makes Duke fans dislike Maryland fans even more and look down upon them even more (as not only a lesser program, but a team with lesser fans).

4) This feeds the hatred for Maryland fans and leads to a maniacal hatred of all things Duke. What's worse, Duke continues to beat Maryland consistently over the decades and so the Maryland fans rarely have a way to feel superior to Duke. (The championship is the obvious exception and I applaud them for it. That was a great team that deserved to win.)

5) Finally, Maryland fans ruin all chances they ever receive for their program to be seen on the same level as Duke and Carolina by basketball fans, the media, and Duke fans because they are so vitriolic and flat out uncreative. They curse on national television, assault Duke players' family members, celebrate wins with riots, and justify their hatred for Duke with reasons like "Their players are gay"..."They play dirty"...."The crazies are a bunch of nerds that can't get laid"... "They have the refs in their pocket"...."They are a bunch of ugly, whining, pansies" and the like. The funny thing is, they do level one criticism that is true, "Duke is arrogant."

We are arrogant when it comes to Maryland, but when you look at the history of these two programs and fan bases, the real question is.... Why wouldn't we be?

mgtr
02-25-2009, 05:44 PM
^ Excellent post! I do pity the Maryland fans, they are desperate. Maybe we could have TV program -- Desperate Also-rans. I do feel sorry for them -- they live in a crummy part of the country, they are associated with a crummy school, and they have a crummy athletic program. So, it is natural to pity them.

bjornolf
02-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Okay, I think that's a little harsh. They are NOT a crummy school. I went there too, thank you. And it's better to be a has-been than a never-was. There are a LOT of schools out there that would LOVE to have one NCAA basketball title. If I recall correctly, they have a LOT more women's titles than we do. ;)

Classof06
02-25-2009, 05:53 PM
Judging by the way we had to play to win last year in College Park (came back from a 9-pt halftime defecit), this is going to be a tough game for Duke.

I personally just wanna see two things: a win and some PT for Plumlee

Go Duke

-bdbd
02-25-2009, 05:59 PM
No doubt the Terps will give their all and the crowd will be extremely hostile. Barring illness or injury we will bring our lineup that is hot.
Henderson, Scheyer, Singler, Thomas and Williams.

For subs, in the order that I would expect, I see:
Smith, McClure, Plumlee, Paulus and Zoubek.

As far as starter minutes:
Henderson (35) - He tends to need a blow from time to time tto keep him playing at the exceptional level of the past month. I expect to see him get a break once a half.
Scheyer (38) - He is so important to the team handling the baall, making decisions, scoring and defending, I see him only out for brief intervals if coach K wants to impaart some point to him.
Singler (35) - He plays so hard that he tends to get a little tired and also into foul trouble. He is essential going down the stretch in games. I see him getting a blow each half, in a similar manner as Henderson.
Thomas (28) - He is playing much better of late and is even getting points now. He still tends to be foul prone and in my view doesn't box out well which impacts his rebounding. I also think he could improve his help side defense.
Williams (30) - The light came on for him recently and he has played very well. His high energy can lead to foul issues and he probably needs a blow from time to time. I like the way he has been much more secure with the ball. He is a freshman going into a very hostile environment so he needs to deal with that. Probably will guard Vasquez.

Am heading over to the game shortly (I live in norther VA.) Won't wearing much blue, but will cheer the boys on. I expect Zoubs to get much more action tonight, as last time they really had no answer for him pounding it inside. We'll see. I like our chances, but think this will still be close with 5 minutes to go. Let's hope E-Mail has a great defensive game against Vazquez. Not as mch as usual in the Washington Post today re. the game -- just an article highlighting their Hayes' improved play off the bench.

Looking forward to it!

-BDBD

JDev
02-25-2009, 06:05 PM
The Maryland- Duke dynamic is really an interesting one if you think about it.

1) Duke pities Maryland (or looks down upon them at least) as a lesser ACC team than their rival Carolina and themselves.

2) Maryland hates Duke for pitying them instead of giving them the respect of a rival. They subsequently become very vocal about their hatred.

3) This makes Duke fans dislike Maryland fans even more and look down upon them even more (as not only a lesser program, but a team with lesser fans).

4) This feeds the hatred for Maryland fans and leads to a maniacal hatred of all things Duke. What's worse, Duke continues to beat Maryland consistently over the decades and so the Maryland fans rarely have a way to feel superior to Duke. (The championship is the obvious exception and I applaud them for it. That was a great team that deserved to win.)

5) Finally, Maryland fans ruin all chances they ever receive for their program to be seen on the same level as Duke and Carolina by basketball fans, the media, and Duke fans because they are so vitriolic and flat out uncreative. They curse on national television, assault Duke players' family members, celebrate wins with riots, and justify their hatred for Duke with reasons like "Their players are gay"..."They play dirty"...."The crazies are a bunch of nerds that can't get laid"... "They have the refs in their pocket"...."They are a bunch of ugly, whining, pansies" and the like. The funny thing is, they do level one criticism that is true, "Duke is arrogant."

We are arrogant when it comes to Maryland, but when you look at the history of these two programs and fan bases, the real question is.... Why wouldn't we be?

Preach! That truth bomb just blew my mind grapes!

It is good to be a Devil.

JDev
02-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Am heading over to the game shortly (I live in norther VA.) Won't wearing much blue, but will cheer the boys on. I expect Zoubs to get much more action tonight, as last time they really had no answer for him pounding it inside. We'll see. I like our chances, but think this will still be close with 5 minutes to go. Let's hope E-Mail has a great defensive game against Vazquez. Not as mch as usual in the Washington Post today re. the game -- just an article highlighting their Hayes' improved play off the bench.

Looking forward to it!

-BDBD

Best of luck my friend. I hope you have your personal effects in order (your will for example). ;)
Go be a proud Blue Devil and cheer the team on to a good win.

BlueintheFace
02-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Okay, I think that's a little harsh. They are NOT a crummy school. I went there too, thank you. And it's better to be a has-been than a never-was. There are a LOT of schools out there that would LOVE to have one NCAA basketball title. If I recall correctly, they have a LOT more women's titles than we do. ;)

The school isn't "crummy" really and the area certainly isn't crummy. They are a long time member of the ACC and that counts for something, but I bet if you took a poll of which basketball program in the ACC Duke fans respect the least (not counting these newbies who are still in their ACC infancy) I bet an astonishing proportion would answer Maryland. Why is that?

Not Gary Williams.... the man has a championship and gets his kids to play hard most of the time. The most likely answer to me is, their fans. Disloyal, crude, violent, unintelligent, and uncreative.

coldriver10
02-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Not Gary Williams.... the man has a championship and gets his kids to play hard most of the time. The most likely answer to me is, their fans. Disloyal, crude, violent, unintelligent, and uncreative.
I respect Williams' coaching skills, but I find their graduation rates appalling and embarassing. I think Gary Williams has to take some responsibility, and in that regard, I don't respect how he's essentially ignored the "student" aspect of his student athletes.

No University of Maryland scholarship men's basketball player who enrolled between 1997 and 2000 graduated within six years, according to NCAA graduation rates that were released yesterday.

Perhaps the most glaring figure in the NCAA's data was the zero percent graduation rate for Maryland's men's basketball team, which ranked last among the nation's 321 Division I programs. The second-worst program from a power conference was Iowa State, which ranked 315th with a 17 percent rate. Only one other men's basketball program in the ACC -- Clemson (31 percent) -- had a rate of less than 40 percent.
Link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/03/AR2007100302238.html)

BlueintheFace
02-25-2009, 06:20 PM
I respect Williams' coaching skills, but I find their graduation rates appalling and embarassing. I think Gary Williams has to take some responsibility, and in that regard, I don't respect how he's essentially ignored the "student" aspect of his student athletes.

Link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/03/AR2007100302238.html)

whoa, I had no idea.

The Mind is a Terrapin Thing to Waste

captmojo
02-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Hey, I got mentioned by name over there! Awesome! This is hysterical.

I got a mention but I don't remember it being "by name". I made reference to the fact that their post timing sequence is still set for Daylight Savings Time and someone thought that was wrong. I guess they either don't know where to see the time of post, or they can't tell time. :D

Appreciate us? Darn right!
Really bored? Well I'm out of work this week.....:cool: Everybody's gotta be somewhere, right?

DU82
02-25-2009, 06:51 PM

Having played Tiger Rag for the Clemson football team at their hotel back in 1981 or so, I look at this a little differently, I guess. Paraphrasing from the best movie ever (ie, not Animal House), I'm shocked to find pranking going on at a college campus.

allenmurray
02-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Having played Tiger Rag for the Clemson football team at their hotel back in 1981 or so, I look at this a little differently, I guess. Paraphrasing from the best movie ever (ie, not Animal House), I'm shocked to find pranking going on at a college campus.

:confused: I'm confused, that line, nor its approximation, is not in Bull Durham (the best movie ever :D ).

Huh?
02-25-2009, 07:13 PM
I saw this start up this morning, but my computer at work wouldn't load this website up, man I was losing it wanting to get on here so bad to say something. I love getting on other message boards to see what the other fans have to say. It's sad though, all Maryland fans do is trash everyone else and pray that Lance Stephenson may commit (yeah right).

wisteria
02-25-2009, 07:20 PM
Let's just win the game, baby~~

Brian's girl is hot! What a lucky guy. The pictures they found were actually very very sweet, before they got photoshoped with the scheyerfaces, of course.

And talk about chants regarding opposite player's girlfriends, during the last UNC game, they were chanting "she said no, she said no" to Wayne Ellington every time he steps onto the freethrow line. He missed a couple, IIRC. But no pictures or anything like that.

Virginian
02-25-2009, 07:44 PM
I wonder if they will storm the court if they lose by less than 41???

The big question is whether there is more damage -- overturned cars, burned out stores, etc. -- in College Park if Md. wins this game or loses this game.

Cretins one and all.

BahamaDukie
02-25-2009, 07:59 PM
Does anyone know if they were able to pull off some of the stunts they discussed last night?

RelativeWays
02-25-2009, 08:05 PM
On a serious semi-unrelated note, when I was watching Georgetown play Louisville I believe, I wondered how come UMD and Georgetown have no rivalry? I mean, they're from the same area, prviate school vs public, recruit the same kids, fairly succesful programs, but they never play each other, from what I can remember. It can't be that they're in different conferences. That means nothing to UGA-GT, Clemson-SC, and UT-Memphis. They might want to look into starting a series, it might do both schools good.

geraldsneighbor
02-25-2009, 08:19 PM
On a serious semi-unrelated note, when I was watching Georgetown play Louisville I believe, I wondered how come UMD and Georgetown have no rivalry? I mean, they're from the same area, prviate school vs public, recruit the same kids, fairly succesful programs, but they never play each other, from what I can remember. It can't be that they're in different conferences. That means nothing to UGA-GT, Clemson-SC, and UT-Memphis. They might want to look into starting a series, it might do both schools good.

The irony of that is they played this year...in Orlando. It was the first time they played in I believe 20 years. That makes no sense...but hey it's Maryland.

DU82
02-25-2009, 09:06 PM
:confused: I'm confused, that line, nor its approximation, is not in Bull Durham (the best movie ever :D ).

Ingrid Bergman > Susan Sarandon. Not even close.

superdave
02-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Offense looks sluggish. Few drives in the lane.

We could really use some forced TOs and easy buckets to warm us up. But the D is sluggish too!

FireOgilvie
02-25-2009, 09:33 PM
It was good to see Zoubek get in, but he was immediately pulled... he had a giant tear in the back of his jersey, maybe that's why? It's frustrating that K refuses to play big men for any significant time after it was so successful last time.

FerryFor50
02-25-2009, 09:34 PM
What a crappy call on Lance. He gets all ball... gets grabbed by Vasquez... and it's a foul on Lance? :rolleyes:

civileng68
02-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Hi everyone.

Sorry if I sound naive. I LOVE DUKE basketball but I'm not a basketball genius so I may be off base.

My question is:

Am I correct in stating that it seems we really have a hard time penetrating against a zone d? Seems like we're stuck running the perimeter.

Also, Scheyer really seems to take some poor shots.

Elliot Williams - I LOVE this guy! Cant' wait to see him for several years!

FerryFor50
02-25-2009, 09:38 PM
I like how Bowie pushes Paulus and they get a double foul. And then he gets in Paulus's face after a make and they let it go. :rolleyes:

FerryFor50
02-25-2009, 09:42 PM
How the HECK was that a goaltend? It was BELOW THE RIM!

FerryFor50
02-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Z is back in... and playing well!

civileng68
02-25-2009, 09:49 PM
How the HECK was that a goaltend? It was BELOW THE RIM!

Wow!

You got that right!

FireOgilvie
It's good to see Zoubek finally used like a big man down low on defense... and he immediately blocks a shot. Nice offensive rebound as well.

superdave
Maryland cannot feel good about this. They have done everything better and are up 1.

I like Z keeping the ball up high on the o rebound!

civileng68
02-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Maryland cannot feel good about this. They have done everything better and are up 1.

I like Z keeping the ball up high on the o rebound!

Its a good point. Patrick just said the same thing.

I'd just like to see us attack the zone better and I'd like to see us push the ball up the court quicker.

I love Paulus off the bench.

civileng68
02-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Ugh. I've never seen a 7'1" guy rejected so many times in a season. Brian, if you knew your size you'd be a monster. GET IT DONE BABY!

Devilhawks
02-25-2009, 09:53 PM
And Paulus is slapping Maryland's floor... love it

civileng68
02-25-2009, 09:54 PM
And Paulus is slapping Maryland's floor... love it

No heart on that team as big as Paulus. He's our Matt Christensen!!!

sweetchiba51
02-25-2009, 09:54 PM
How does a guy thats 6'7 block a guy thats 7 foot?? Zoubs is just scared thats all there is to say about that..

civileng68
02-25-2009, 09:56 PM
How does a guy thats 6'7 block a guy thats 7 foot?? Zoubs is just scared thats all there is to say about that..

Yeah it seems to happen alot with him. He's just not got the nasty streak that could make him unreal.

He's perfectly built for his frame. If he just had that Laettner attitude, Zoub would be scary!

With that said, I think Plumlee has a bit of that streak to him. Can't wait to see it blossom.

roywhite
02-25-2009, 09:56 PM
Frustrating half...MD getting loose balls and rebounds, driving almost at will, Zoubs missing from point blank, Nolan with more dumb fouls, Singler not a presence, McClure just not a scorer...etc, etc...

But, hey, it's a tie score. We can win this.

FireOgilvie
02-25-2009, 09:57 PM

Zoubek was fine. 6'7" isn't exactly short. Lance has done exactly zero for us so far, Plumlee looked like a freshman... it's good to see someone do something.

slower
02-25-2009, 09:57 PM

that he can't jump.

arnie
02-25-2009, 10:00 PM
What has happened with our D? I can't figure it out - re not forcing a lot of turnovers and teams are shooting better against us. What has changed?? At least some of the 3's are falling.

jipops
02-25-2009, 10:00 PM
Maryland should be killing us right now. It is truly amazing it's tied. Their defense is great and all their scores are at the rim. I kept waiting for the terps to start pulling away but somehow we're tied.

From the replay it looks like Zoubek may have been fouled but there is no way you're going to get that call in the last play of a half.

Faison1
02-25-2009, 10:01 PM
that he can't jump.

You beat me to it....I was going to say, I wish Brian could dunk a basketball.

I feel bad for the kid, and worse yet, it would be nice to be up by 2 at the half.....I would think we could seize some momentum with that......I haven't seen the stats, but I'm guessing UM is shooting a pretty good percentage.

sweetchiba51
02-25-2009, 10:02 PM
that he can't jump.

All he has to do is be able to jump 12 inches maybe and he's there, im sure he can do that. He should be slamming the ball that close to the basket..

Faison1
02-25-2009, 10:03 PM
What has happened with our D? I can't figure it out - re not forcing a lot of turnovers and teams are shooting better against us. What has changed?? At least some of the 3's are falling.

My guess is teams have figured out that we can't guard the drive, and we have no shotblocker to recover with.....but that's just a guess.

captmojo
02-25-2009, 10:03 PM
Gotta figure a way to get Kyle more involved. He's working hard yet appears butterfingered and in the wrong place. He was wide open for 2 seconds just before half but the play went through Zoubs.

Papa John
02-25-2009, 10:04 PM

Though you sound like Pigpen in "A Charlie Brown Christmas," I will have to give you your due, given the fact that your avatar is awesome! ;)

FerryFor50
02-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Duke's settling for too many threes. They need to go back to the dribble drive motion offense.

Cameron
02-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Not sure why we didn't reverse the ball back to Greg right before the end of the half, especially after he had knocked home two, net splattering triples. But a good end to the half, nonetheless, in terms of the scoreboard. As Patrick said, with the way Maryland was playing early on you would have thought we were down double figures.

Also nice to see Elliot Williams confidently pop home a triple early on. He's really taking his starting role and embracing it.

civileng68
02-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Gotta figure a way to get Kyle more involved. He's working hard yet appears butterfingered and in the wrong place. He was wide open for 2 seconds just before half but the play went through Zoubs.

I think offensively they should drop him down low more often. Im telling ya, for a team to zone us this much it shows they know Duke's weakness. As soon as we get zoned, we're completely unable to get the ball in the paint.

FireOgilvie
02-25-2009, 10:06 PM
My guess is teams have figured out that we can't guard the drive, and we have no shotblocker to recover with.....but that's just a guess.

Good guess.

Vasquez is well on his way to another triple double. Hopefully we can make some stops in the 2nd half.

captmojo
I think offensively they should drop him down low more often. Im telling ya, for a team to zone us this much it shows they know Duke's weakness. As soon as we get zoned, we're completely unable to get the ball in the paint.

...but there is nobody, without the ball, flashing through that middle looking to get the ball.

Cameron
As for Zoubek, what in the world?

I thought there was great hope for him early in the year, but I think I was wrong. He's regressing perhaps more than anyone, except for maybe Nolan.

The Kidd
02-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Duke clearly is a different team on the road. Not quite as fluid and crisp. Their perimeter shooting certainly suffers when they are on the road. I've got to think this is all mental. They were winning on the road earlier in the season. Now they appear to be thinking TOO MUCH and not just playing Duke Basketball.

I think we will see more of Zoubek in the 2nd half. Despite his offensive deficiencies, he takes up enough space to keep the MD "slashers" honest.

GO DUKE!

The Kidd

FerryFor50
02-25-2009, 10:10 PM
How are we letting Maryland shoot 54%?

civileng68
02-25-2009, 10:12 PM
yeah I honestly think this team is among the top 3 in the country in ability. Just my opinion. I think in some ways since the clemson loss, they've just lost their personal identity.

They seem half lost.

civileng68
02-25-2009, 10:13 PM
How are we letting Maryland shoot 54%?

Because our interior defense is actually........well............we have no interior defense.

should_be_working
02-25-2009, 10:13 PM
Was that an FU singler chant? nice.

House G
02-25-2009, 10:14 PM
30 of maryland's 36 points in the paint--unreal

Devilhawks
straight class from the Maryland fans while their player is injured

VaDukie
Maryland fans never cease to amaze me. What a disgrace.

Cameron
02-25-2009, 10:15 PM
Yep.

F U, Singler. Clear as day, as the game had turned silent because of an injured player.

civileng68
02-25-2009, 10:15 PM
Maryland fans never cease to amaze me. What a disgrace.

Im really surprised they have not gotten more national attention for their lack of class. Are you sure they're not all from Philadelphia?

FerryFor50
02-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Yep.

F U, Singler. Clear as day, as the game had turned silent because of an injured player.

Let's not show concern for our player. Let's curse the opposing player.

Good tough play by Z there though.

Devilsfan
02-25-2009, 10:16 PM
That's still quite an improvement from the Wake game. Whoever said "you can't teach size" knew what they were talking about.

FerryFor50
02-25-2009, 10:18 PM
Maryland is hitting some foul trouble now... 4 on Vazquez!

civileng68
02-25-2009, 10:18 PM
UH OH UH OH, UH OH, Watch out! Gary's blood pressure is creeping up. Get the medics ready, he's gonna explode!

FerryFor50
02-25-2009, 10:20 PM
UH OH UH OH, UH OH, Watch out! Gary's blood pressure is creeping up. Get the medics ready, he's gonna explode!

I'm surprised he hasn't had a stroke by now.

FerryFor50
02-25-2009, 10:23 PM
Nice class there by Maryland fans.

That was a moving screen, btw, Bilas.

ice-9
02-25-2009, 10:24 PM
WTF Bilas, the dude shuffled his feet and raised his shoulder.

kaufmjo
02-25-2009, 10:24 PM
unprecedented lack of class from fans cheering a guy hurt. Even Eagles fans wouldnt do that

_Gary
02-25-2009, 10:25 PM
He definitely put a bit of elbow into it, but it was close. Just nasty, and a Duke player has to call that for Nolan. Hope he's not seriously injured. I don't care if the guy is starting or not, he's important to this team's success!

Gary

SharkD
That's what happens when the refs let bodies bang away on the inside, but call anticipated touch fouls.

I hope Nolan's okay.

VaDukie
I will never cheer for Maryland under any circumstances again. Not in the tournament for ACC pride, not against UNC, not if my own kin played for the team. These fans are unbelievable.

Cameron
He raised his forearm into Nolan's lower neck from what I saw.

Glad to see ESPN skip the action and go to commercial, as I am sure Maryland's fans were about to cheer, "Staaaay Dooown clap clap clap-clap-clap..."

superdave
His offense has been lacking lately against tall athletic players.

Remember the double screen he would drive by for a layup? We need to run that play some more to get easy buckets and utilize Kyle's quickness against other big men.

Wow. Neal leaned into that screen and put his forearms up. I'd like to see us return the favor.

House G
02-25-2009, 10:26 PM
Interesting contrast between Maryland's offense tonight and that against Carolina this past weekend. They shot 30 three pointers against Carolina and just shot their 4th of the game tonight.

civileng68
You know what pisses me off more than anything about the Maryland fans?

Bilas and Patrick won't comment on the lack of class. Nobody will mention it. If you want to stop it, mention it on national television more often and the school will have to do something about it.

I also noticed K had a drink thrown on him. If you notice he has water dripping off of his jacket.

Devilhawks
straight class from the Maryland fans while our player is hurt

SharkD
I really liked the stutter triple step right in front of the ref without even so much as an eye batted. I guess dribbling is now optional.

FerryFor50
02-25-2009, 10:27 PM
I really liked the stutter triple step right in front of the ref without even so much as an eye batted.

Oh you noticed that too?

I thought I was insane.

_Gary
02-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Come on, Jay. You can show a little excitement when a Duke player does something spectacular. No one will get on you for it. That slam deserved serious accolades!

Gary

FerryFor50
02-25-2009, 10:29 PM
"May have gotten away with a hack"

Jeez. Was this guy born in Maryland?

FerryFor50
02-25-2009, 10:30 PM
Paulus isn't playing bad D. Hayes is just hitting some tough shots.

_Gary
02-25-2009, 10:30 PM
Things are getting very chippy and very, very physical. The refs really need to step in and calm this stuff down. Between Williams and the crowd this could get ugly.

Gary

SharkD
02-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Another moving screen/hold. No call. These refs must be watching the GW/UNC-C game. Or Private Practice, over on ABC.

FerryFor50
02-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Great. Now they're hitting 25 foot 3s with guys who shoot 25%.

:rolleyes:

_Gary
02-25-2009, 10:32 PM
So now, on top of everything else, Maryland is going to start making insane shots. :rolleyes:

FerryFor50
02-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Another moving screen/hold. No call.

Yea, wonder why Mosely was so open on that drive? :rolleyes:

_Gary
02-25-2009, 10:34 PM
How can they keep saying that was a legal screen on the Nolan injury? Good gosh! The man was shuffling both feet.

FerryFor50
02-25-2009, 10:35 PM
How can they keep saying that was a legal screen on the Nolan injury? Good gosh!

Agreed.

Call it like it is. A dirty play.

_Gary
02-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Really bad call on Elliot. That wasn't a foul.

FerryFor50
02-25-2009, 10:36 PM

The MD player initiated the contact and they called Elliot. Lame.

kaufmjo
02-25-2009, 10:36 PM
How can they keep saying that was a legal screen on the Nolan injury? Good gosh! The man was shuffling both feet.

because mike patrick is amateur hour. Given he found the maryland fans calling duke's hotel so funny id love for his home phone to be given out

FerryFor50
02-25-2009, 10:37 PM
id love for his home phone to be given out

I think that would be awesome.

SharkD
02-25-2009, 10:38 PM
I wonder if the ACC is going to consider suspending Neal, if Nolan has a concussion?

Oh, wait, what am I saying... of course not.

I've never seen so many poorly officiated games during a single season of ACC play.

Coballs
At least 7 Maryland points all on the refs:

-The Neal 3 right after the moving screen

-The basket on the possession where the Maryland guy took about 6 steps while gathering the ball

-The basket after Henderson pulled down a rebound and then was dragged down from behind and out of bounds

All were missed by Bilas and Patrick.

Just when I start to forget how loathsome the Terps and their fans are, our annual trip to College Park comes up and I suddenly remember why I hate Maryland. I REALLY want this game.

elvis14

It's hard trying to figure out who's the biggest UMD supporter. Bilan and Patrick or the refs.

BTW, do UMD fans to have to "boo" every single time the refs call a foul on them and chant BullS...
on I'd say 60% of those calls? Ignorant basketball 'fans'.

FerryFor50
02-25-2009, 10:39 PM
I didn't see the UNC-MD game. Did the Holes get this shafted on calls?

trey
02-25-2009, 10:41 PM
I should have muted this game long ago. Every bounce that doesn't go the twerps way...BOOOOOOOO!

and every bad shot that they throw up is falling.

SharkD
02-25-2009, 10:43 PM
I'm pretty sure that was a backcourt violation -- I think the ball bounced on the midcourt line.

FerryFor50
02-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Oh, NOW they call a walk. :rolleyes:

civileng68
02-25-2009, 10:46 PM
It just amazes me that Bilas nor Patrick will even make a single comment on the Maryland fans.

FerryFor50
02-25-2009, 10:46 PM
booooooo! :)

What's funny is they STILL booed... because they thought they called a foul.

Morons.

FerryFor50
02-25-2009, 10:47 PM
Williams is playing huge.

And all of a sudden... every bump is a foul. Gotta love consistency.

Coballs
02-25-2009, 10:48 PM
I forgot to add the Plumlee "goaltend". Make it at least 9 points on the refs.

At least 7 Maryland points all on the refs:

-The Neal 3 right after the moving screen

-The basket on the possession where the Maryland guy took about 6 steps while gathering the ball

-The basket after Henderson pulled down a rebound and then was dragged down from behind and out of bounds

All were missed by Bilas and Patrick.

Just when I start to forget how loathsome the Terps and their fans are, our annual trip to College Park comes up and I suddenly remember why I hate Maryland. I REALLY want this game.

_Gary
02-25-2009, 10:49 PM
It just amazes me that Bilas nor Patrick will even make a single comment on the Maryland fans.

It is frustrating. It's so obvious that many chants are rude and the cheering when Nolan was effectively knocked unconscious deserved some response from the announcing team, IMHO.

FerryFor50
02-25-2009, 10:50 PM
It is frustrating. It's so obvious that many chants are rude and the cheering when Nolan was effectively knocked unconscious deserved some response from the announcing team, IMHO.

But that would just further the perception that all the media talks about is how great Duke is. :rolleyes:

SharkD
C'mon Kyle. That pass was bush league.

But at least it didn't cost us. (Thanks to that ever-so-rare walking violation.)

juise
Elliot's rebounding and strength around the basket (and ballhandling) remind me a bit of Markie.

civileng68
02-25-2009, 10:51 PM

Yeah, that's my point. I dont expect them to just talk about it randomly but that is something that should be said as a message to the school.

Im shocked just how much Bilas acts like he never went to Duke as to be unbiased. Even Hubert Davis and Stu Scott make no bones about their love for the Heels. Bilas just acts like he never went there.

FerryFor50
02-25-2009, 10:51 PM
C'mon Kyle. That's bush league.

But at least it didn't cost us. (Thanks to that ever-so-rare walking violation.)

What'd he do? I missed it.

kaufmjo
02-25-2009, 10:52 PM
I know its a serious stretch but Gerald's play of late is Kobe-esque

superdave
Duke's D has tightened up some.

We need some easy buckets though

FerryFor50
Elliot's rebounding and strength around the basket (and ballhandling) remind me a bit of Markie.

Sadly, so does his FT shooting. :p

SharkD
02-25-2009, 10:53 PM
What'd he do? I missed it.

Rushed/out of control inbounds pass.

jv001
What's happened to Kyle? We need him to step us in these last 4 mins.
Go Duke!

FerryFor50
Rushed/out of control inbounds pass.

Ah. That was more of a bad decision than bush league.

bush league is Neal's moving screen.

jv001
02-25-2009, 10:54 PM
What's happened to Kyle? We need him to step us in these last 4 mins.
Go Duke!

Should have said it earlier. Go Duke!

SharkD
02-25-2009, 10:55 PM
My heart skipped a beat when G lowered his shoulder, followed closely by a whistle... thank God, Gary Williams hasn't bothered to teach his "student"-"athletes" the fact that planting your feet is a necessary element to taking a charge.

civileng68
02-25-2009, 10:56 PM
I know its a serious stretch but Gerald's play of late is Kobe-esque

Funny you mention that. I hate to draw comparisons but his athleticism is VERY reminiscent of Kobe's abilities and style.

I hope Gerald stays this year (I think he will) because he's improving every single day in front of our eyes and I think next year we're looking at an unstopable force.

Duke4Ever32
Did Patrick just say Duke/Maryland was more intense than Duke/UNC?!?!

FerryFor50

I think what he meant to say was "more intense than Duke/UNC... tonight."

FerryFor50
02-25-2009, 10:58 PM
And Vazquez fouls out.

Sweet.

Duke4Ever32
02-25-2009, 10:58 PM

Okay. I sure hope he didn't mean that as a general statement.

elvis14
02-25-2009, 10:59 PM

Yes, he said that. I'm ah speechless.

Vasquez GONE!

Bilas just said the foul on GV was OK because GH was outside where that box (you know the NBA rule) would be. ?????

civileng68
02-25-2009, 11:00 PM
Frankly to me, the rivalry is MUCh bigger for Maryland fans than Duke fans.

My bro in law is a Maryland fan and goes nuts on these nights and I'm like "oh yeah, they play tonight" He just doenst understand.......Maryland fans have a HUGE inferiority complex.

FerryFor50
And down goes Mosely!

SharkD

I think he said "of late." He's full of it, in addition to being a terrible, terrible announcer.

trey
I kinda liked the way the terps were playing with Vasquez in the lineup.

Coballs
Mike Patrick "The plays that Henderson has made incite the crowd."

What is he talking about? This is a road game, isn't it?

trey
02-25-2009, 11:02 PM
Frankly to me, the rivalry is MUCh bigger for Maryland fans than Duke fans.

My bro in law is a Maryland fan and goes nuts on these nights and I'm like "oh yeah, they play tonight" He just doenst understand.......Maryland fans have a HUGE inferiority complex.

Definitely. I just hate to give them the pleasure of accomplishing their number one goal of the season.

FerryFor50
02-25-2009, 11:03 PM
Huge shot by Scheyer. Great pass by Williams.

Coballs
There's your Scheyerface! Take that.

SharkD
Is it me, or does Maryland's body language look like they've already given up?

ChrisP
I have stayed off the bash Jay Bilas bandwagon but his whining about Vasquez's 5th foul is too much. Someone...please slap Jay! Jeez!

FerryFor50
02-25-2009, 11:04 PM
Williams is getting the Nolan Smith treatment on the perimeter by the refs.

kaufmjo
02-25-2009, 11:04 PM
There's your Scheyerface! Take that.

Scheyer delivered judgement to MD with that play. Hope Duke fans in attendance storm the court here