PDA

View Full Version : Shavlik Randolph: Keeping faith in his dream

gotham devil
02-22-2009, 11:19 PM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/02/shavlik_randolph_keeping_faith.html

OldSchool
02-22-2009, 11:47 PM
Sounds like there are no lingering effects from that freakish ankle injury.

Shav would be a real contributor for some team in the league if he is given a chance.

The fact that his mom used to cut his meat for him will follow him around for the rest of his life. And surely there must be more to the Justin Timberlake story?

Billy Dat
02-23-2009, 12:22 PM
OldSchool - The Justin Timberlake thing was just plain ODD. In fact, the author goes out of his way to point out that he thinks Shav is an "offbeat" character. I wonder what Timberlake's people thought when that jersey arrived?

weezie
02-23-2009, 02:22 PM
I'll bet JTimble's "people" are used to seeing odd things in "boxes." ;)

BahamaDukie
02-24-2009, 12:04 AM
Duke and Duke fans should be proud of this young man. He is very rare in many ways, and has a toughness that few want to discuss.

I am betting that he will have a "satisfied mind" when he is an old man, and that is something we should all hope for.

Billy Dat
02-24-2009, 09:11 AM
I'll bet JTimble's "people" are used to seeing odd things in "boxes." ;)

Not gonna get you a diamond ring
That sort of gift don't mean anything
Not gonna get you a fancy car
Girl ya gotta know you're my shining star
Not gonna get you a house in the hills
A girl like you needs somethin' real
Wanna get you somethin' from the heart
Somethin' special girl
It's my................

miramar
02-24-2009, 09:16 AM
I am glad to see that Shavlik has come back from the freakish injury, but I found the article to be both hopeful and sad.

jv001
02-24-2009, 09:38 AM
Shav has his priorities in order. He wants to have a successful NBA career but that is not the focal point in his life. His faith in The Lord is most important to him and I hope he keeps that attitude while living so far from home. I congratulate him on the success he has in life itself. Go Duke!

Highlander
02-24-2009, 10:27 AM
I am glad to see that Shavlik has come back from the freakish injury, but I found the article to be both hopeful and sad.

Is it just me, or does this article remind you a little of those American Idol auditions where people just know they are going to make it, only to be told they aren't.

Don't get me wrong. I admire his dedication and I wish him all the luck in the world, and it certainly sounds like he's got his priorities in order. Making $800k a year to play basketball, even if you're a practice dummy, isn't a bad gig.

rsvman
02-24-2009, 12:36 PM
"I get up, I go to practice, I get some food, I take a nap, I practice more and then maybe I watch a movie and go to bed. That's my exciting life. All I really want to do is play basketball."

I read the whole article. I think it's sad. The quote above is in Shav's own words.

He's kind of the opposite of the kind of story Americans enjoy. He's a "riches to rags" story, at least in terms of his basketball talent and impact.

On the flip side, I'd take his $800K a year in a heartbeat.

Indoor66
02-24-2009, 12:43 PM
"I get up, I go to practice, I get some food, I take a nap, I practice more and then maybe I watch a movie and go to bed. That's my exciting life. All I really want to do is play basketball."

I read the whole article. I think it's sad. The quote above is in Shav's own words.

He's kind of the opposite of the kind of story Americans enjoy. He's a "riches to rags" story, at least in terms of his basketball talent and impact.

On the flip side, I'd take his $800K a year in a heartbeat.

I hear a man trying to grow in his profession and make it to a higher level of success.

hq2
02-24-2009, 12:53 PM
The Shav story has always seemed kind of weird; from #1 rated prospect in the country his junior year in high school to Duke flop to NBA starter, and back to the NBA bench, he has consistently confounded expectations. Given what he's had to endure, everyone's pulling for him. Hope he gets more P.T. and a spot in the rotation.

Edouble
02-24-2009, 06:31 PM
I hear a man trying to grow in his profession and make it to a higher level of success.

To Indoor66 and rsvman--

To me, whether or not the article is sad or inspiring depends really on one thing: Is Shav finding any level of spiritual fulfillment in all of this? It sounds like Shav is very isolated, which does make it sound a little sad--but is he isolated in a self-involved quasi spiritual quest type of thing, or is it isolation in heavy lonliness?

Just my opinion.