PDA

View Full Version : How would you like to be on VaTech's bubble right now?

Papa John
02-22-2009, 10:39 PM
at #13 Clemson
home v #9 Duke
home v #3 UNC
at unranked [and perhaps the most underrated team in the country right now] FSU...

Ouch!

All's I can say is, if they get an NCAA bid, they'll sure as heck have earned it!

PumpkinFunk
02-23-2009, 09:16 AM
There's no way that Va Tech walks away with a tourney bid now. They needed to sweep FSU, and even then they also probably needed a 9th win. 2 wins out of these 4 just seems highly unlikely, unless they play like they did when they won in Winston-Salem. It's a shame because I think that 7-9 would be good enough given their tough ACC schedule if they didn't screw up in the non-conference so badly. Losing to Georgia and Wisconsin...

jv001
02-23-2009, 09:26 AM
I agree that VT has a tough finishing schedule but I know how they play us at VT. We have a pretty tough finish also. At md, at unc, at VT and Fl St home. Go Duke!

gumbomoop
02-23-2009, 09:53 AM
Three ACC teams have tough, tough end-schedules. Before games of this last weekend, I'd have said Duke's was toughest, FSU's 2d toughest, VT's 3d toughest - but all very tough. With Sat-Sun results, I'd say VT blew their "easiest" remaining game, so now VT has toughest, Duke 2d toughest, FSU 3d.

No matter what happens Wed night [Duke @ Md, VT @ Clemson], VT will be near-desperate and very dangerous come Sat in Blacksburg.

SMO
02-23-2009, 11:19 AM
There's no way that Va Tech walks away with a tourney bid now. They needed to sweep FSU, and even then they also probably needed a 9th win. 2 wins out of these 4 just seems highly unlikely, unless they play like they did when they won in Winston-Salem. It's a shame because I think that 7-9 would be good enough given their tough ACC schedule if they didn't screw up in the non-conference so badly. Losing to Georgia and Wisconsin...

I hope you're right because I would love to hear Greenberg talk about how the committee would have to be "CERTIFIABLY INSANE!" to not give his team a bid despite their struggles. I loved hearing that last year mostly because they gave UNC a tough game and still lost at the end of the season. He is the clear court jester among ACC coaches.

ACCBBallFan
02-23-2009, 07:26 PM
It's looking like VA Tech and Miami will each finish 7-9 or 8-8 and face one another in the #8 vs #9 ACC Tourney game which in effect is a play in game for NCAA Tourney.

Same might be said for the #7/#10 game for MD or NC St looking for an 8th ACC win, 7 in regular season and first ACC tourney game. I don't think State can play its way in but do think MD can play its way out.

The big drop off to UVA and GA Tech, who could play role of spoiler to BC and FSU/Wake.