http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=3676228

godukecom
02-22-2009, 02:20 PM
:eek::mad:

what is that????

blah

DukeCO2009
02-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Are you serious? WTF? These are much, much worse than the '95-ish unis with the patches of blue on the shoulders, and I never thought I'd say that. Give me blue and white. No black, no silly little designs. Blue. White. That's it. I pray this is some sick early April Fool's joke. Good gracious...

EDIT: Anyone have an e-mail address for Kevin White or anyone involved directly with the basketball team?

FireOgilvie
02-22-2009, 02:25 PM
I actually like them. We'll see how they look on TV... I have a feeling that the design won't be as obvious on TV.

I think we need a poll.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-22-2009, 02:28 PM
EDIT: Anyone have an e-mail address for Kevin White or anyone involved directly with the basketball team?
kwhite@duaa.duke.edu

sue71, esq
02-22-2009, 02:35 PM
At least it's not this mess (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Memphis-opts-against-flying-the-FedEx-flag?urn=ncaab,141637), which thankfully never saw the court.

And I agree, I don't think ours will be so bad on the court/tv. I think the design will only be obvious in a pic such as on GoDuke or close up.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Uniforms and shoes.... it's more about Nike than about their customers.

The article in the link at the beginning of the thread suggests that Coach K was involved in the designs and the roll out. We'll have a good look at them this evening in Cameron. Who knows, maybe the karma will be good.....

blazindw
02-22-2009, 02:45 PM
I love these, and I loved the USA jerseys that implemented the design. I think they'll come out well on TV.

Stray Gator
02-22-2009, 02:48 PM
I think the home white jersey looks fine. The road blue, not so much if that picture accurately depicts the shade of blue. A darker blue might work.

Then again, unveiling those road blue jerseys at UNC just might confuse and distract everyone else in the Dean Dome. And every potential advantage there is worth exploiting. ;)

dukebsbll14
02-22-2009, 02:50 PM
umm. to be kind, i'll just say I don't like them.

What I have always liked about Duke's uniforms is how simple they are. The white/blue/black with colored stripe down the side and on the shorts; they don't have the plethora of rectangles like UNC or Marquette. It just looks a little too full for me.

Lets just see how they look on TV and live at the game before we do anything. Who knows?? Maybe they'll look pretty good out there, maybe the heavy design will distract other teams haha.

Are the fronts going to look the same, or have the design as well?

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-22-2009, 03:26 PM
umm. to be kind, i'll just say I don't like them.

What I have always liked about Duke's uniforms is how simple they are. The white/blue/black with colored stripe down the side and on the shorts; they don't have the plethora of rectangles like UNC or Marquette. It just looks a little too full for me.

Lets just see how they look on TV and live at the game before we do anything. Who knows?? Maybe they'll look pretty good out there, maybe the heavy design will distract other teams haha.

Are the fronts going to look the same, or have the design as well?
Those rectangles you mentioned are harlequin or argyle patterns, courtesy of Alexander Julian.

BlueintheFace
02-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Those rectangles you mentioned are harlequin or argyle patterns, courtesy of Alexander Julian.

ewwwwwwwww. It better help recruiting or something like that....

JDev
02-22-2009, 03:51 PM
They aren't terrible, though nothing can replace the traditional blue and white. A little temporary change is not always a bad thing, especially while Duke tries to get back to their winning ways. Maybe the karma will be good.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-22-2009, 04:01 PM
ewwwwwwwww. It better help recruiting or something like that....
I think I remember that Alexander Julian is a Carolina grad. His family has longstanding ties with the town and the university. His dad owned THE fine men's clothing store on Franklin Street for years..... same store where Madras plaid fabric was first introduced in the US... the beginning of a major fad in clothing.

yancem
02-22-2009, 04:03 PM
Oh boy...

I find it weird that the blue in the home jerseys doesn't match the blue in the away jerseys. They're not even close. The blue in the home jersey seems to be the right color but the aways are more of a funky electric blue.

geraldsneighbor
02-22-2009, 04:20 PM
You have got to be kidding me. Are we wearing these the whole year?

DukeDevilDeb
02-22-2009, 04:24 PM
You have got to be kidding me. Are we wearing these the whole year?

"02/22/2009 - Duke Sports Information

DURHAM, N.C. -- The Duke men’s basketball team will wear an alternate Nike jersey on Sunday, Feb. 22 vs. Wake Forest in Cameron Indoor Stadium at 7.45 PM ET. The alternate jersey will feature an embedded design inspired by some of Duke’s iconic buildings and Gothic architecture on the back of the uniform.

Duke will sport the home white uniform a second time vs. Florida State on March 3, and unveil the road blue version at North Carolina on March 8."

That means we will wear the white jersey tonight and on the 3rd against FSU, the blue jersey against UNC on March 8.

Where did "Are we wearing these the whole year? " come from????

geraldsneighbor
02-22-2009, 04:30 PM
"02/22/2009 - Duke Sports Information

DURHAM, N.C. -- The Duke men’s basketball team will wear an alternate Nike jersey on Sunday, Feb. 22 vs. Wake Forest in Cameron Indoor Stadium at 7.45 PM ET. The alternate jersey will feature an embedded design inspired by some of Duke’s iconic buildings and Gothic architecture on the back of the uniform.

Duke will sport the home white uniform a second time vs. Florida State on March 3, and unveil the road blue version at North Carolina on March 8."

That means we will wear the white jersey tonight and on the 3rd against FSU, the blue jersey against UNC on March 8.

Where did "Are we wearing these the whole year? " come from????

So, that's both home games to finish the season. What are we wearing in March is more of my question.

Indoor66
02-22-2009, 04:44 PM
I think I remember that Alexander Julian is a Carolina grad. His family has longstanding ties with the town and the university. His dad owned THE fine men's clothing store on Franklin Street for years..... same store where Madras plaid fabric was first introduced in the US... the beginning of a major fad in clothing.

That store was Milton's. Milton Julian was Alexander's Uncle and they did not get along together, IRRC. Milton later had a store at Northgate in Durham, for several years.

dukerev
02-22-2009, 04:54 PM
If we win, I don't care if they embroider gold thread into the unis.
If the players and/or recruits like the new unis, so much the better.
That being said, the KISS theory generally applies to fashion, especially over the long-run.

nyr484
02-22-2009, 05:04 PM
New jerseys...
http://www.goduke.com//pics10/600/FC/FCOKZLAOYQDMBPI.20090222181638.jpg

loran16
02-22-2009, 05:06 PM
Ewwww. Seriously? God, why mess with a good thing?

Seriously, i remember back 2 years ago when the nike-shoulder stripes were the rage, duke had jerseys with them, wore them for one game, and then went with the classics while everyone else wore the blah design. Can't we do that again? Say screw you, sponsors, not this time?

TwoDukeTattoos
02-22-2009, 05:11 PM
I love the new design, I love the thought process behind them, etc. Besides, they're lighter! Perhaps we can slash the lanes and defend better in them!

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DukeUsul
02-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Where's the choice for Trenton?

LOL I'm so funny.

But seriously. I prefer the basics. I hope these go back on the shelf.

TwoDukeTattoos
02-22-2009, 05:21 PM
I love the new design, I love the thought process behind them, etc. Besides, they're lighter! Perhaps we can slash the lanes and defend better in them!

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lord Ash
02-22-2009, 05:29 PM
As an avowed traditionalist who has only worn his jerseys when playing a sport, lemme say they are terrible. Simply terrible. I look at NHL jerseys now, all of these third jerseys and alternate jerseys, and they are TERRIBLE; it seems Nike wants to do the same here.

I always urge my students to read the classics, and I tell them "They aren't classics because they stink or they are old. They are classic because, even after fifty years, everyone who reads them says "Wow, that was amazing!"" It is the same with jerseys, if you ask me.

SilkyJ
02-22-2009, 05:37 PM
I dont want to sound melodramatic, but I'm actually shocked to even see something like that. A graphic on the whole thing? Does any other team in all of college ball do that? I can't think of one...

Grey Devil
02-22-2009, 05:40 PM
I tend to be more traditional when it comes to our uniforms. I've always liked the fact that our unis were solid colors, white and blue (and not some soft pansy-ants blue!). For example, when black was introduced as a part of our uniforms several years back I didn't like it (although I've come to accept it over time...). Also, it seems to me that the shade of blue has mutated over time since I was a student to a brighter shade of blue than I remember back in '71 when I graduated. The current color doesn't seem as deep blue -- it's more "electric" than in those days, and I don't like it as much either.

However, these are different for me, and I kind of like them.... maybe it's the nostalgia for the grand old gothic architecture that they bring out in me. Or maybe it's that they're 31% lighter in weight than our current uniforms (anything to give our guys a leg up on the competition). I'll be interested in seeing them during the game today.

Grey Devil

DukeCO2009
02-22-2009, 05:49 PM
I dont want to sound melodramatic, but I'm actually shocked to even see something like that. A graphic on the whole thing? Does any other team in all of college ball do that? I can't think of one...

^What he said

I'm totally flabbergasted these were even considered, much less given the green light. Yikes.

RainingThrees
02-22-2009, 06:02 PM
Yay as long as we keep using the black alternates which is my favorite.

Huh?
02-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Thanks Nike

Cameron
02-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Those suck. I know Nike pretty much owns everyone's soul, but I cannot believe Coach K approved of this. Whether or not it fits in line with the message the Team USA uniforms were trying to convey, I don't really care. Those jerseys pictured above don't convey Duke Basketball; they convey a 50 Cent and Sean Combs MC'ed game on the playground.

Unbelievable. Just when you think our jerseys can't get any worse. Please tell me what's wrong with these:

http://deseretnews.com/photos/1756887.jpg

My goodness.

pamtar
02-22-2009, 07:12 PM
It could be worse...

http://assets.sbnation.com/imported_assets/18454/chris_corchiani_unitard.jpg

Grey Devil
02-22-2009, 07:15 PM
It could be worse.....much worse!

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/season-stats.php?season=1973-74http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/season-stats.php?season=1973-74

Like the '70s!

Grey Devil

RelativeWays
02-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Not a fan of the new unis, but I'm one of the few who like the original black unis so what do I know. I believe this is a definite attempt to appeal to the more urban market, particularly with recruits. Might sound cynical, but uniform designs are influential. We're lucky we didn't lose every recruit we had in the mid 90 shoulder pad years ;)

wisteria
02-22-2009, 07:30 PM
It could be worse.....much worse!

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/season-stats.php?season=1973-74http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/season-stats.php?season=1973-74

Like the '70s!

Grey Devil

Oh my god!

dukeballer2294
02-22-2009, 07:36 PM
I'm watching the broadcast and the reporter announced them and said they were like .31% lighter or thinner and will keep the players more cool and Duke is the first team to wear them of this kind. Lets hope were faster in em :)

miramar
02-22-2009, 07:39 PM
I'm not too sure about the new uniforms, but I would definitely get rid of the black sidebar on the away uniforms, along with the black socks and shoes. Duke's colors are blue and white.

I kind of liked the retro uniforms the team wore for one game a few years back, with the exploding Duke letters.

eddiehaskell
02-22-2009, 07:44 PM
They look kinda cool to me...sorta futuristic.

somf4eva
02-22-2009, 08:15 PM
they dont look bad at all

FireOgilvie
02-22-2009, 08:21 PM
I really like them. I want to buy one. They're pretty subtle on TV.

CathyCA
02-22-2009, 08:34 PM
We seem to be playing well while wearing them. I vote that we keep them. :D

InaudibleWords
02-22-2009, 08:37 PM
I'm too short to play basketball beyond 5th grade rec, but I wasn't under the impression that weight of uniform highly influences performance. As an engineer, I could understand if the new uniforms have more stretch or some sort of way to prevent torsion and alleviate uncomfortable fabric tension across the chest/torso, but weight? Anyone have more insight on the "scientific advancement" aspect? Is it actually helpful? (psst, the half time score points to "possibly")

DukieInKansas
02-22-2009, 09:03 PM
I missed the story behind the jerseys. I thought a few games ago they did a piece on the team designing shoes that had a similar graphic - is this part of the same deal? Maybe it was the jersey instead of shoes.

DukieInKansas
02-22-2009, 09:45 PM
I missed the story behind the jerseys. I thought a few games ago they did a piece on the team designing shoes that had a similar graphic - is this part of the same deal? Maybe it was the jersey instead of shoes.

Here is a link to the shoe story: http://www.dukeblueplanet.com/blog.asp?pid=352

There is a similarity with the back of the new jerseys so they are probably related.

fisheyes
02-22-2009, 09:56 PM
OK...now we LOVE those new jerseys!!

Great game!

Go Duke!!!

DukieBoy
02-22-2009, 09:57 PM
i liked the jerseys before the game.

After the game, I'm in love with them.

RainingThrees
02-22-2009, 09:58 PM
As an avowed traditionalist who has only worn his jerseys when playing a sport, lemme say they are terrible. Simply terrible. I look at NHL jerseys now, all of these third jerseys and alternate jerseys, and they are TERRIBLE; it seems Nike wants to do the same here.

I always urge my students to read the classics, and I tell them "They aren't classics because they stink or they are old. They are classic because, even after fifty years, everyone who reads them says "Wow, that was amazing!"" It is the same with jerseys, if you ask me.

I'm sure our team likes them otherwise we wouldn't be wearing them. If our team likes them I like them.

34dukegal
02-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Hated the jerseys when I first saw them but if we continue to play like that I'll love them.

BluDevilGal
02-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Didn't know about the new jerseys until I saw them during the game, and I gotta say I don't like them. The design is very distracting. Since I didn't know about it ahead of time, it took me a while to figure out whether that was a pattern on the jersey or if everyone was just really sweaty.

I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind the elaborate pattern on the jersey unless it is to distract and confuse the opponent. Unfortunately it has the same effect on the fans.

killerleft
02-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Yay. They look good and we win in them.

Ben63
02-22-2009, 10:14 PM
The design is very subtle, especially on TV, so I don't really mind them. But heres a stat- Coach K is undefeated when his teams wear a silly Nike design graphic on the back. Team USA and Duke.

BoC
02-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Count me in with the group that wonders what's wrong with the plain blue and white. While I don't really care for these unis, at least they're waaaay better than those putrid '95 'blue shoulder stripe' monstrosities.

Speaking of the '95 edition, the current diamond shape on the shorts is a holdover from that dark year and I'd like to see them discarded in favor of the older 'wedge' shape.

Also, as was mentioned, please go back to the blue and white road uniform.

That is all.

elvis14
02-22-2009, 10:28 PM
We won and played great. We might need to wear these the rest of the season. In fact, we should not stop wearing them until we lose in them. After that we should try garters with roses! Rose goes one front big guy :D

BlueDevilBaby
02-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Watching the game, I thought the graphic was somehow part of the fabric design to make it cooler/lighter. Now that I see the pictures above, YUCK! If there is no purpose to the graphic other than it being a design, chuck these things right now.

hurleyfor3
02-23-2009, 12:36 PM
I like the general idea, but would tweak the execution a bit. I'd make the "gothic architechture" theme stand out more by eliminating the "D" logo and most of the black trim. I don't like the black trim there in the first place.

I didn't catch the game on teevee, only the highlights. I couldn't tell whether it was a new design or the air conditioners in Cameron had been left off for too long.

Chitowndevil
02-23-2009, 12:40 PM
I'm surprised some people actually like them. I was watching over the internet last night, low res, and spent a good chunk of the first half thinking, wow, G is sure sweating hard today. Maybe (hopefully) they'll look better in HD.

Highlander
02-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Didn't know about the new jerseys until I saw them during the game, and I gotta say I don't like them. The design is very distracting. Since I didn't know about it ahead of time, it took me a while to figure out whether that was a pattern on the jersey or if everyone was just really sweaty.

I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind the elaborate pattern on the jersey unless it is to distract and confuse the opponent. Unfortunately it has the same effect on the fans.

Interesting. I had the exact opposite opinion. I saw the design here ahead of time and expected them to be drastically different. It was well into the first half before I saw a shot of one from the back and realized these jerseys were 'new.' From the front they look exactly the same.

Was kind of ambivalent yesterday, but if we play well in them, I could grow to like them very much.

jjasper0729
02-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Those suck. I know Nike pretty much owns everyone's soul, but I cannot believe Coach K approved of this. Whether or not it fits in line with the message the Team USA uniforms were trying to convey, I don't really care. Those jerseys pictured above don't convey Duke Basketball; they convey a 50 Cent and Sean Combs MC'ed game on the playground.

Unbelievable. Just when you think our jerseys can't get any worse. Please tell me what's wrong with these:

My goodness.

that's when a jersey was a jersey and not a wanna-be muscle shirt with full shoulders... just go back to that one i say... it's simple and classic

onepresent
02-23-2009, 12:56 PM
What does a gothic window have to do with the basketball program?

Our forum could come up with a more appropriate image to have woven into the uniform, or at least more fun. Here are a few off the top of my head...

-An image of Coach K
-An image of a similar past Duke player
-The grade point average of each player
-Their favorite pet, or an animal they identify with
-An image of their girlfriend or favorite music artist
-Their mother's maiden name
-A number rating how they fared in practices before the current game
-The opposing player's name they have been assigned to guard

A window in a building, what were they thinking?

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-23-2009, 01:28 PM
I like the general idea, but would tweak the execution a bit. I'd make the "gothic architechture" theme stand out more by eliminating the "D" logo and most of the black trim. I don't like the black trim there in the first place.

I didn't catch the game on teevee, only the highlights. I couldn't tell whether it was a new design or the air conditioners in Cameron had been left off for too long.
I can assure you that the air conditioning was under utilized last night. It was not quite as hot as the Carolina game because the outside temperature was also much colder than the night of the Carolina game. Maybe the Maytag repairman could make a call.......

KBCrazie
02-23-2009, 01:31 PM
I find it weird that the blue in the home jerseys doesn't match the blue in the away jerseys. They're not even close. The blue in the home jersey seems to be the right color but the aways are more of a funky electric blue.

I totally agree. I posted in another thread that there has been too much variation in the blue that appears on Duke unis across all sports. It really defeats the notion that there is a "Duke blue". I blame the introduction of black into the uniforms. That forced us to go much lighter with the blue in those unis. I'm much happier with a blue that is more on the navy end of the spectrum than the royal end. Just go to the GoDuke.com page where they announced the uniforms and look at all the shades of blue there. It's pretty ridiculous.

weezie
02-23-2009, 02:06 PM
Well, the white home jersey looked super sweet last night, under the lights! I want a bedspread made of that same material!!!:D

Watching the DukePlanet top 5 plays again is making me laugh and cry happy tears.

bjornolf
02-23-2009, 02:12 PM
I think that they should be tweaked a little in terms of design and color, but I love that they're 31% lighter, breathe better, and handle sweat better. During the first UNC game, these jerseys could have been a difference maker!

On TV, I noticed the pattern on the backs of the jerseys in closeups, but I never even noticed it on the front, and I certainly couldn't tell what the pattern was until I saw the picture here.

I think it's supposed to represent the windows in the chapel.

I think they should redo it to show the Duke D surrounded by the three national championship trophies, and when we win the next one, they can just change the pattern a little.

hurleyfor3
02-23-2009, 02:17 PM
What does a gothic window have to do with the basketball program?

What doesn't gothic architecture have to do with Duke? If Cameron were on Science Drive, or on East, you'd have a point, though.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-23-2009, 02:23 PM
What doesn't gothic architecture have to do with Duke? If Cameron were on Science Drive, or on East, you'd have a point, though.
You're exactly right! Look at the exterior architecture of Cameron. Looks pretty Gothic to me.

DukieInKansas
02-23-2009, 03:04 PM
If you didn't like the jerseys, you're probably not going to like the shoes come March. I believe the players had a hand in the design of both.

wisteria
02-23-2009, 03:09 PM
They are young kids. Young kids are going to like new things, fancy things, flashy things. It's just a given. We want them to carry the duke tradition of excellence, but I totally understand if the players get excited over new jerseys and new shoes. In fact, as someone has pointed out, they were involved in designing these things. They probably had a lot of fun.

Besides we won. So yeah~~

Duvall
02-23-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm too short to play basketball beyond 5th grade rec, but I wasn't under the impression that weight of uniform highly influences performance. As an engineer, I could understand if the new uniforms have more stretch or some sort of way to prevent torsion and alleviate uncomfortable fabric tension across the chest/torso, but weight? Anyone have more insight on the "scientific advancement" aspect? Is it actually helpful? (psst, the half time score points to "possibly")

I suspect it has more to do with the science of selling athletic apparel to gullible youngsters.

slower
02-23-2009, 03:41 PM
That store was Milton's. Milton Julian was Alexander's Uncle and they did not get along together, IRRC. Milton later had a store at Northgate in Durham, for several years.

The name of the store founded by Alexander Julian's FATHER, Maurice Julian, was...Julian's.

captmojo
02-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Alexander Julian designed the holes unis with the interlocking diamond design on the side panels.

rsvman
02-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Reading the posts in this thread makes it clear that some people didn't read the linked article.

1) The design on the uniform is not just to look interesting, and it's not just to make the uniform "lighter," it is also supposed to help the player keep cool, which is a very good thing.

2) Coach K specifically asked for the design to represent something about the UNIVERSITY, and NOT just the BASKETBALL program. That's why they chose a design that doesn't have anything SPECIFICALLY to do with basketball.

3) The front of the uniform is identical to the old uniform; only the back has the design.

By the way, I think they look pretty good. We won. If they help the players keep cool, they may help us to stay fresher. I can't imagine that everybody can't put aside their stylistic preferences slightly for the good of the team.

yancem
02-23-2009, 05:34 PM
I think that I would like them much better if I didn't know that half the ncaa teams will be wearing similar designs on their jersey by next fall.

All in all, I'm more of a traditionalist but I think they kid of looked cool (apparently literally as well as figuratively) although I need to seem them in person. I do agree about the shades of blue. I don't understand why it seem so keep changing. The blue accents on the home jerseys seems ok (I'd prefer a little darker) but the blue on the away jerseys, what's up with that?

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-23-2009, 06:20 PM
The name of the store founded by Alexander Julian's FATHER, Maurice Julian, was...Julian's.
It was a mainstay on Franklin St. for years.

Lord Ash
02-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Personally I couldn't care less if we won wearing those jerseys, and I don't think the design had anything to do with staying cool, which I would guess has a lot more to do with the weave and the materials used. I am as superstitious as the next guy or gal (maybe more so, what with being a hockey goalie) but I cannot approve of these things. I had the good fortune of working in sports in North Carolina and working closely with the guys and gals over at OT Sports, who make a boatload of jerseys for various pro sports teams. Any trip over to their place would always result in a walk around with the owners (a bunch of UNC grads actually) looking over new jerseys, and it was always the more traditional jerseys that stuck out among the hundreds they had there.

I do not like the designs up close, and from afar they just looked like extra sweaty jerseys. I have a deep respect for what has happened in our Duke uniforms over the years, and personally feel that this sort of redesign is more about selling jerseys than representing our program and the history behind it.

They are not for me, and I do find myself wishing people had voted based on the jerseys more and on the result of that single game less.

sagegrouse
02-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Oh boy...

What I would like to see is any jersey that says "Henderson 15" in 2009-2010.

sagegrouse
'BTW, I liked the jersey'

02-25-2009, 02:50 PM
I received this response from Mr. White after I emailed him concerning changes in the uniform color and style over the last few years.

------

Thank you for your email and your passion for Duke Athletics. You will be happy to know that as we begin a new and broader relationship with Nike, Inc., for our apparel and shoes, I have asked Nike that one of our top priorities be to assess all of our marks and color schemes for all 26 sports. This will be done over the course of the next several years as all 26 sports are joined in the relationship.

Thanks for your continued support!

Kevin

Capn Poptart
02-25-2009, 03:09 PM
I smell Pantone!

summerwind03
02-25-2009, 05:04 PM
I'm another one that doesn't mind the design but really am appalled by the blue of the road unis. That is NOT Duke blue!

yancem
02-25-2009, 06:36 PM
I received this response from Mr. White after I emailed him concerning changes in the uniform color and style over the last few years.

------

Thank you for your email and your passion for Duke Athletics. You will be happy to know that as we begin a new and broader relationship with Nike, Inc., for our apparel and shoes, I have asked Nike that one of our top priorities be to assess all of our marks and color schemes for all 26 sports. This will be done over the course of the next several years as all 26 sports are joined in the relationship.

Thanks for your continued support!

Kevin

It is nice to hear that they are going to try to standardize the colors but the question to me is why haven't they been doing this all along. Branding is extremely important in any commercial effort and for a university there are two things that are at the heart of branding 1) school logo and 2) school colors.

I smell Pantone!

This has to be one of the funniest posts I've seen in quite a while. I wonder how many will not understand it like they did get the Animal House reference DBR Headlines. I also wonder if people didn't get the reference because they don't watch many movies or if they are just so young that they aren't aware of some of the classic lines from "my" era?

markbdevil
02-26-2009, 11:39 AM

My goodness.

The best uniform ever!

hurleyfor3
02-26-2009, 11:57 AM
This has to be one of the funniest posts I've seen in quite a while. I wonder how many will not understand it like they did get the Animal House reference DBR Headlines. I also wonder if people didn't get the reference because they don't watch many movies or if they are just so young that they aren't aware of some of the classic lines from "my" era?

As someone who did layout for The Chronicle I get it. Heck, I've tried making Pantone jokes myself (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=216638&postcount=16). Duke Blue is PMS 287, btw.

Aziggazoomba
03-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Nice win and congrats on a good win against a tough BC team.

I was gonna leave it at that, until I read a private message that besmirched by beloved school, so now I'm going to have to add...

I know this isn't new, but what's with the watermark on the back of your team's jersey? I know the new threads are made of some sort of high-tech wicking fabric, but I would humbly suggest that the look could be improved upon. (Not that I'm in love with UNC's uniform, or have been since the early 90s, but still....)

Go Heels.

CDu
03-14-2009, 11:51 AM

I was gonna leave it at that, until I read a private message that besmirched by beloved school, so now I'm going to have to add...

I know this isn't new, but what's with the watermark on the back of your team's jersey? I know the new threads are made of some sort of high-tech wicking fabric, but I would humbly suggest that the look could be improved upon. (Not that I'm in love with UNC's uniform, or have been since the early 90s, but still....)

Go Heels.

I guess they're just trying to make the Duke uniforms as ridiculous as the Heels' uniforms over the past decade (remember the Jordan uniforms from the early 2000s?).

It's just Nike trying to make some money with new jerseys they can throw on the shelves - same old, same old. This is hardly limited to Duke.

DukeDevilDeb
03-14-2009, 11:52 AM

Go Heels.

It's the Gothic buildings on campus... not sure I like it, but it is the same type of jersey that the USA team wore in China this summer.

Onlyduke
03-14-2009, 12:20 PM
I seem to be in the minority, but I really like the new uniforms. The pattern on the back is very unique.

Aziggazoomba
03-14-2009, 12:21 PM
I guess they're just trying to make the Duke uniforms as ridiculous as the Heels' uniforms over the past decade (remember the Jordan uniforms from the early 2000s?).

It's just Nike trying to make some money with new jerseys they can throw on the shelves - same old, same old. This is hardly limited to Duke.

I know it's not limited to Duke---didn't mean to suggest it was.

I should be clear---I cringe every time a new Tar Heel uni gets rolled out. I haven't like ours since before the days of Alexander Julian and the argyle.

I just thought the watermark was funky, and though I despise all things Duke generally, I have at least generally liked your uniforms over the years.

bjornolf
03-14-2009, 12:31 PM
The "watermark" is a thinning of the fabric, for lack of a better term, to make the uniforms 31% lighter, breathe better, and handle sweat better. The players chose the design to represent the entire school, not just the basketball team. It's an image of one of the many "gothic" windows around campus on many dorms and academic buildings. I would have gone for a respresentation of the three nactional championship trophies myself, but nobody's perfect. ;)

BTW, there's an entire thread about this. Check it out for pictures.

bossesjoe
03-14-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm not really big on the uniforms either, I think they're making them too "busy".

Who was Alexander Julian? Never heard of a UNC player by that name.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-14-2009, 12:35 PM
The "watermark" is a thinning of the fabric, for lack of a better term, to make the uniforms 31% lighter, breathe better, and handle sweat better. The players chose the design to represent the entire school, not just the basketball team. It's an image of one of the many "gothic" windows around campus on many dorms and academic buildings. I would have gone for a respresentation of the three nactional championship trophies myself, but nobody's perfect. ;)

BTW, there's an entire thread about this. Check it out for pictures.
The embedded design is something Nike wants to sell in addition to the new fabric being used. This, too, will pass.

lmb
03-14-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm not really big on the uniforms either, I think they're making them too "busy".

He wasn't a player. He was the guy who designed their hideous argyle uniforms.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-14-2009, 12:38 PM

Since this conversation is via the Internet and not in person, it's unclear whether you're being facetious or serious...... or maybe just not a fashionista.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-14-2009, 12:40 PM

Go Heels.
Welcome back, Aziggazoomba. I tend to agree with you regarding both sets of uniforms. I try to overlook the designs in favor of focusing on the game results.

bossesjoe
03-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Since this conversation is via the Internet and not in person, it's unclear whether you're being facetious or serious...... or maybe just not a fashionista.That was completely serious, I apologize for my ignorance in that area but it's definitely not my forte. The women in my life do a pretty good job of keeping me covered.

Nesto
03-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Here is a link to the shoe story: http://www.dukeblueplanet.com/blog.asp?pid=352

There is a similarity with the back of the new jerseys so they are probably related.

Thanks for the shoe link. I had to chuckle at how Duke Blue Planet made it sound so cutting edge... "on one of the two iMac iD stations using state-of-the-art NikeiD technology." Except for the custom toe piece graphic, anyone can get these.

I ordered my daughter some Nike iD soccer cleats almost 2 years ago. It's pretty cool - custom colors for multiple parts of the shoe. You can put some text and your # on it and customize with team mascot graphics on the cleats I got. And only like $10 - $15 more expensive that the base line model of the shoe.