PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Hansbrough's NBA stock. North? or South?

moonpie23
02-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Has Tyler INcreased his draft status? or DEcreased it with his play this year?

FireOgilvie
02-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Definitely decreased. He's a year older and 23, he hasn't shown much of an improved outside game, there's really no drafting on potential because we know what we're going to get, he's shown proneness to stress injuries (always a bad sign), and his numbers are all down this year across the board.

He's totally undersized for his skillset in the NBA, he has a mediocre jumpshot even after 4 years, average athleticism, the majority of his scoring comes on free throws, and he's already 23. His rebounding and scoring skills do not translate to the NBA. He's lucky it's a really off-year in the Draft.

BobbyFan
02-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Agree with the above response. He hasn't changed much, which is a negative to his stock. Of course where he goes depends on the quality of other prospects.

godukecom
02-22-2009, 12:42 PM
definitely decreased, for all the reasons stated above

Papa John
02-22-2009, 01:05 PM
I think he's done neither, as I don't believe he was a hot commodity coming into the season as a future NBA-er... Hansbrough is a great college player, but I think his prospects for the next level have been and still remain questionable at best... Can anyone recall his draft status after his freshman or sophomore seasons? I would venture a guess that perhaps, in hindsight, he would have been better off entering the draft then, when less was known about his overall game...

DukeCO2009
02-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Definitely decreased. Kansas totally exposed him last year in the FF. I think he would have bolted regardless of how chapel hill did if he had played lights out in the national semifinals, but Kansas showed that he flat-out sucks against taller, more athletic big men. He stuck around because he wanted to enjoy the feeling of being dominant for as long as possible. His game hasn't changed a bit year over year, which is a negative for his draft stock.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-22-2009, 02:12 PM
I think he's raised his draft stock. He has shown more of an outside jump shot this year.

DUKIE V(A)
02-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Psycho T has definitely hurt himself. He has been exposed. He REALLY struggles against length, size, and quickness. In addition, while his stats seem to be about the same, the quality and consistency of his play have definitely dropped off from last year. Many of his bigger scoring nights have come courtesy of productivity after games have been decided and against weaker competition.

Having watched a ton of ACC games this season, he flatly does not deserve to win ACC POY this season (and I thought he was justly awarded that honor last season). McClinton, Teague, and even Lawson on his own team are more deserving. There are others including Singler, Henderson, Booker, Lawal, etc. that are signficantly better skilled than him. If he repeats as ACC POY, it would seem to be based on a lifetime achievement award type deal. When we play Carolina, there are at least three players I fear hurting us more that Hanstravel (Lawson, Ellington, and Green). I did not feel that way last season. When studying the Hole roster, it is possible he may not even be in the top 5 pro prospects on his own team (Lawson, Ellington, Green, Davis, Zeller, and even Thompson could be better than him in the NBA).

I will say -- and I couldn't dislike Psycho T anymore than I do -- I wish more college players stayed four years. SOMETIMES it should be more than $ and draft status that determine people's decisions about whether to turn pro. Having said that, I wish him nothing but the worst and I can't wait to see him vanquished as an NCAA player for good. His title hopes do not look too good about now.

moonpie23
02-22-2009, 02:34 PM
hopefully, my avatar will THREE-PEAT this post season....

:)

Papa John
02-22-2009, 03:12 PM
I will say -- and I couldn't dislike Psycho T anymore than I do -- I wish more college players stayed four years. SOMETIMES it should be more than $ and draft status that determine people's decisions about whether to turn pro. Having said that, I wish him nothing but the worst and I can't wait to see him vanquished as an NCAA player for good. His title hopes do not look too good about now.

I agree with your assessment regarding Hansbrough's limitations when he enters the next level, and the challenges that will make it difficult for him to be a highly productive pro, and I also agree with your wish that more guys would stick around longer in college... The golden years of the ACC demonstrate how amazing it is when you have teams stacked with both young, raw talent and seasoned veteran talent... On the other hand, the realities of early defections at big schools and the added incentive for some kids to pick smaller schools in order to showcase their talents have created what seems to be a lot more parity in the college game, which makes it quite interesting, too...

As much as I agree that Hansbrough has [inexplicably] received favored treatment from officials from his arrival in the ACC, I still find it hard to dislike the kid, as it seems you do... He epitomizes everything we love about our Duke icons--grit, determination, hustle--and I daresay [as I have to friends and fellow Duke alums from yesteryear] if he were wearing a deeper shade of blue, we'd be singing his praises and looking forward to seeing his jersey retired... Having said that, I sure as heck hope we ruin his senior day in a couple weeks! ;)

Wander
02-22-2009, 04:22 PM
He was national player of the year last year. He might not deserve to make 1st team all-ACC this year. Case closed.

dukerev
02-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Is the question "Has Hanstravel's additional year in school exposed (more) flaws in his game and/or showed growth and progress?" OR is it "Would Hanstravel have been drafted in a higher or lower slot than he would have if he had come out last year?"

Because the answer to the first question is that he has showed increased range on his jump shot (good), but additional exposure has let NBA teams see for sure what will happen when he doesn't have officiating that shades toward his game (which seems to have happened this year).

The answer to the second question is that it may not matter. Last year's draft was FAR deeper than this year's draft (is supposed to be). Hansbeaker was projected to be a mid- to late- first round selection last year. That's about where's he's projected right now.

So, he got an additional year of school, the opportunity to be the NPOY again, the opportunity to be the all-time ACC scoring leader, at the expense of a year's worth of playing for no pay. As the man will be a millionare, that seems a reasonable price to pay.

SupaDave
02-22-2009, 06:21 PM
On the right team he could be a cog as important as Dennis Rodman. Gotta find a team that needs his skill set. Doesn't matter anyway - the Bobcats will draft him just because...

RelativeWays
02-22-2009, 06:39 PM
For this year compared to last, definitely south, at least hype wise. Beaker certainly deserved NPOY last year due to how he performed (especially during Lawson's absence) and field was a bit weak compared to this year. Now he's not even the best player on his team, let alone the country and I think his stock has dropped from mid 1st rounder to later 1st rounder.

arnie
02-22-2009, 10:00 PM
On the right team he could be a cog as important as Dennis Rodman. Gotta find a team that needs his skill set. Doesn't matter anyway - the Bobcats will draft him just because...

It's a given he'll be a Bobcat since no one else will bother drafting him. Just curious if they are smart enough to pick him in the 2nd round.

elvis14
02-22-2009, 10:03 PM
I voted "South" just because there was no "Who Cares" choice. Let's leave the Hansblahblah stuff to IC.

Indoor66
02-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Let's leave the Hansblahblah stuff to IC.

We are Duke. What do we care about a unc player? I agree, let it rest.

-bdbd
02-22-2009, 10:35 PM
It's a given he'll be a Bobcat since no one else will bother drafting him. Just curious if they are smart enough to pick him in the 2nd round.

I was about to say, what slot are the Bobcats and Michael "I am a draft pick wizard" Jordan expected to pick??? I seem to recall lots being said prior to the draft last year about NBA scounts not really being very high on him, and that possibly a couple other players on their squad are projected as better pros. He will get a lot of free pub down the stretch if he ever beats JJ's record (won't do it playing like he did vs MD). So he'll still be a lottery pick, but not top-5 (unless Charlotte picks there). And their seemingly inevitable march to the FF - just ask anybody on the IC boards - will get him even more visibility. But he can't count on having all that ref help at the next level.

I don't know. Valid arguments both ways, but not like he was going to be top-3 last year either... I'm more interested in which UNDERclassmen there go pro this go-around.

-BDBD :rolleyes:

P.S. I'm giving 4:1 odds that, if he does break JJ's record, it will be done at the charity stripe on another questionable foul call (probably on a player that he just walked over/through).

jipops
02-22-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm no scout but I cannot see how anyone would possibly think Hansbrough has hurt himself this season or that his stock has decreased. All the scouts out there who have been following already were familiar with his strengths and limitations to begin with. If anything he has improved with his range now extending out a little further. To say that his stock has decreased is ridiculous. It's not like he has gotten worse as a player. Scouts already knew before this season what he is capable of and what his weaknesses are. One huge upside to Tyler that may translate well to the next level is that fact that he runs the floor so very well for a big and somehow manages to maintain control of himself and the ball when barreling down the floor.

That being said, I don't think he's done much of anything to help himself. He's still an average to below-average defender but some of that could be a product of Roy's lack of focus to this aspect of the game. It's also very difficult to foresee how his unorthodox post game will convey in the NBA. He's great at using his strength to get good position close to the basket and his strength enables him to get the ball up to the hoop and absorb contact. This could be difficult to transfer to the NBA as pretty much every post defender is equally as powerful or of greater skill.

I think offensively he can contribute as a solid role player in the NBA but his defense or lack thereof is going to keep him on the pine a lot. Or who knows, maybe he'll become a decent defender once he gets out of Roy's system.

superdave
02-22-2009, 11:07 PM
I dont think Hansborough's stock has risen or fallen. It's about the same as last year which is to say 18-22 of 1st round.

First of all, he's not exceeded last year's performance in the same way JJ Redick made a huge leap from Jr to Sr year. Second, he will not be able to get any of those shots off at the next level, so his offensive game will be limited to jumpers. Third, his jumper has improved. But he should probably avoid dribbling at all costs. Fourth, he will get absolutely no foul calls on defenders for jumping over their backs.

The main problem with the Mouth-Brather though is that he will be 24 at the start of the next NBA season. Most players start to peak from 24-30, but he will just be entering the league. That doesnt help at all.

Super "I hate mouth breathers" Dave

CDu
02-22-2009, 11:12 PM
I'd say he's neither hurt nor helped his stock this year very much. He's shooting from the perimeter a bit more, but not enough to make him a real threat from there. He's still a solid rebounder, still undersized, still plays mostly below the rim.

But those things weren't going to change. Unless he developed an unbelievable outside shot, he wasn't going to go up. And his stock really wasn't going to go down, since he was probably a mid/late first round guy anyway.

I honestly can't see how he's hurt his stock, but he hasn't helped it THAT much, if at all. But, who cares?

flyingdutchdevil
02-23-2009, 12:31 AM
Ever since he was a freshman, I don't think any analysts believed that Hanstravel was a lottery pick. Some (and maybe most) analysts even believed he wouldn't go in the second round. He has "T-Rex" syndrome - his arms are too short.

That said, he has definitely hurt his status this year. Even though his team may be better, the other players (especially Lawson and Ellington) are getting more touches, which will hurt the "go-to-player".

Everything about his skills (can't play against more athletic players, no outside jump shot, etc) have been said before.

GoingFor#5
02-23-2009, 09:45 AM
I just hope he doesn't break JJ's record...here's the rundown:

Hansbrough: 2650
JJ: 2769
Points Needed: 120 (119 to tie)
Games Remaining: 5-12 (3 regular season, 1-3 ACC tourney, 1-6 NCAA tourney)
--Average Needed (5 games): 24.00
--Average Needed (6 games): 20.00
--Average Needed (7 games): 17.15
--Average Needed (8 games): 15.00
--Average Needed (9 games): 13.34
--Average Needed (10 games): 12.00
--Average Needed (11 games): 10.91
--Average Needed (12 games): 10.00

allenmurray
02-23-2009, 09:54 AM
He will go late in the first round. Even if he is the last pick in the first round he will be earning almost a $million a year to play basketball. I wish I was that unskilled.

allenmurray
02-23-2009, 10:02 AM
I still find it hard to dislike the kid, as it seems you do... He epitomizes everything we love about our Duke icons--grit, determination, hustle--and I daresay [as I have to friends and fellow Duke alums from yesteryear] if he were wearing a deeper shade of blue, we'd be singing his praises and looking forward to seeing his jersey retired...

I said the same thing in another thread.

The very things we see as negatives in a UNC player we see as positives for a Duke player. We wouldn't talk about his travelling, we'd talk abut his work ethic under the basket. We wouldn't talk about his propensity to go to the free throw line, we'd talk about how tough he is to take so much abuse. The same behavior we see as "chippy" from an opponent is "toughness" on our team. What others do that we call "showing off" on another team, when done by one of our guys is simply "trying to get the crowd into the game". There is nothing rational abut being a fan - players that go there we hate - if the same player comes here we love him.

Lord Ash
02-23-2009, 10:14 AM
I said the same thing in another thread.

The very things we see as negatives in a UNC player we see as positives for a Duke player. We wouldn't talk about his travelling, we'd talk abut his work ethic under the basket. We wouldn't talk about his propensity to go to the free throw line, we'd talk about how tough he is to take so much abuse. The same behavior we see as "chippy" from an opponent is "toughness" on our team. What others do that we call "showing off" on another team, when done by one of our guys is simply "trying to get the crowd into the game". There is nothing rational abut being a fan - players that go there we hate - if the same player comes here we love him.

Agreed completely. He would have been an all-timer if he had come to Duke.

And unfortunately I cannot believe JJs record has a chance.

dukegirlinsc
02-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Dan Patrick was reading some NBA scout stuff from SI.com on his radio show (yesterday or day before, can't remember which of the two) and they seemed to not believe the hype. They said he definitely isn't going to get the calls he's getting now in the NBA, he's not going to be able to push people around the way he does now, and it may take him a few years to adjust to the NBA.

Totally agree. It also made me feel good to hear Kyle Singler get high praise by the same scouts DP was referring to. :)

throatybeard
02-26-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm really going to need an explanation of why we give a rat's derriere about Hansbrough's draft status.

Also, the poll is broken, insofar as "steady" isn't an option.

hc5duke
02-27-2009, 02:09 AM
voted south. he's the chris weinke of basketball

Highlander
02-28-2009, 10:35 PM

I was having a hard time finding accurate 3s. Wikipedia had totals as of 2/17 that had him about 113 points down. If that's accurate, given his 66 points in the last 3 games he's got a shot of breaking the record vs. Duke in the regular season finale. If your #s are right, he wouldn't until at least the end of the ACC tourney.

My prediction is that he gets it before the NCAA tourney gets rolling. I just hope it isn't against us (although I'll give him the record vs. us if it means we get the W next weekend).

zingit
03-01-2009, 02:58 AM
P.S. I'm giving 4:1 odds that, if he does break JJ's record, it will be done at the charity stripe on another questionable foul call (probably on a player that he just walked over/through).

Someone posted something like this in another thread a while back, and I'll repeat what I said then: remember that JJ broke the ACC scoring record on a free throw, so any symbolism you're looking for there could apply to our guy too.

Chad Ford (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=FordDraftWatch-090227) has Hansbrough with a down arrow. Money quote: "Said one NBA executive, 'What can I do with an undersized power forward who isn't athletic and doesn't rebound?'"

Ditto to whoever said they're surprised JJ's record even has a chance. Pre-season and early in the season, people were talking about breaking the record like it was a done deal. Let's hope it's not.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-01-2009, 08:49 AM
I dont think Hansborough's stock has risen or fallen. It's about the same as last year which is to say 18-22 of 1st round.

Agreed.
He is a mid first round guy,IMO.

Somewhere I saw him considered a "pick and pop" guy for the NBA. I'd say that's probably his future. Some really athletic "star" player is going to love him on his team doing the dirty work.

The form of his jumper is good, even though we never really get to see it that much in college. He can shoot it off a catch, but he'll never be able to create it in the league.

He also runs the floor better than given credit for and can finish strong on a break.

Blue collar guy that should have a solid career.

Will lead Sportscenter highlights with his imitation of Greg Paulus after the Danny Green dunk during his time in the NBA. :)

Faison1
03-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Will lead Sportscenter highlights with his imitation of Greg Paulus after the Danny Green dunk during his time in the NBA. :)

Hey Wheat.....It took me a while to figure out what you meant here.....maybe because it's a Sunday morning, the day after sitting at a party watching the Duke-VT game surrounded by primarily Carolina fans, sprinkled with Clemson and Virginia fans.....maybe there was one other Duke fan there......tough game to endure with that many distractions, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, a couple of questions for you: will that one play go down as Carolina's defining moment in the Hansbrough/Green years? Where is Danny Green's draft stock now? On the Carolina Message Boards, is there a Duke fan that has over 100 posts?

These are all questions I honestly don't know. And because of your post, I was curious to get the perspective of a Carolina fan. Maybe I am a bit defensive after enduring about 4 hours worth of arguing why it should have been a foul on Scheyer vs a travel....I don't know.....

Papa John
03-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Agreed. He is a mid first round guy,IMO.

Blue collar guy that should have a solid career.

Indeed... Blue collar, will earn a paycheck to play for many years, and how can you possibly complain about that? Like allenmurray said, "I wish I was that unskilled." So do I...

CDu
03-01-2009, 02:27 PM

Barring injury, there's virtually no chance Hansbrough comes up short of the record. He's now at 2,678 points, with realistically no fewer than 5 games left (2 regular season, one ACC, and two NCAA). He'll need to average just 18.2 points per game to tie Redick's mark, and that's assuming that UNC loses on Friday in the ACC tourney AND loses in the second round of the NCAA tournament. If UNC gets to the second day of the ACCs or the Sweet 16, he just needs to average 15.2 points per game.

TheItinerantSon
03-01-2009, 03:43 PM
I still find it hard to dislike the kid, as it seems you do... He epitomizes everything we love about our Duke icons--grit, determination, hustle--and I daresay [as I have to friends and fellow Duke alums from yesteryear] if he were wearing a deeper shade of blue, we'd be singing his praises and looking forward to seeing his jersey retired...

You are watching a different game than I am. Watch the meltdown at Maryland - he sets lackadaisical screen after lackadaisical screen. At one point Green had a three to tie the game in OT, and Hansbrough was setting the screen on the play. If Hansbrough can set a strong screen it would be an uncontested attempt - it wasn't Green had a hand in his face.
(In contrast, Vasquez last three-point shot was completely open because his man was on the floor).

Hansbrough doesn't stop the ball on penetration.

He has a career low in both steals and blocked shots. Those numbers were career highs his freshman year - its not like he can't do those things, he doesn't get deflections, because he just doesn't put up effort on that side of the court.

He has had 5 games all year with more than 1 assist, at the same time he managed to have 3 games in which he has attempted more than one three-pointer.

Clemson's Booker is averaging TWICE as many assists. Cole Aldrich who isn't exactly the epitome of skilled big men is averaging more assists on less touches.

He's averaging 7.7 rebounds a game...not exactly relentless on the boards...(although his offensive rebounds per game are way up from last year, because that gives him more scoring opportunities).

He doesn't do ANYTHING with 'grit and determination and hustle' that doesnt involve scoring points for Tyler Hansbrough.

But as a white player he can't possibly be selfish - right?

Hancock 4 Duke
03-01-2009, 03:50 PM
One of the Tar Hole fans reminded me that JJ got almost all of his points from three pointers, and they count for more than 2(duh). That is true, except that it is easier to make dunks than threes, 2's than threes, and also Free Throws. So, it's a matter of skill, not the complication of the shots.

CDu
03-01-2009, 03:56 PM
One of the Tar Hole fans reminded me that JJ got almost all of his points from three pointers, and they count for more than 2(duh). That is true, except that it is easier to make dunks than threes, 2's than threes, and also Free Throws. So, it's a matter of skill, not the complication of the shots.

I'm not sure there's any comparison (in either direction). It's not easy to get dunks/layups while fighting through physical double teams and lots of contact (much of that created by Hansbrough, but contact nonetheless). It's not easy hitting 3 after 3, either. Hansbrough could never compete on the perimeter the way Redick did, and Redick could never produce in the paint the way Hansbrough does. It's apples and oranges.

DUKIE V(A)
03-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Had the chance to watch the Wizards/Sixers game from the lower level earlier this week. I was reminded just how different the NBA and college game. Hansbrough will struggle bigtime in the NBA. He's not big enough, quick enough, and does not shoot well enough to be an effective offensive player at the NBA level. He will struggle defensively against bigger, quicker players. I see lots of splinters in his future. BTW, I think JJ (25 on June) will have a more successful NBA career and Psycho T (24 in November). JJ is a great shooter and there is always a need for that. There is no aspect of Hansbrough's game that is superior.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Hey Wheat.....It took me a while to figure out what you meant here.....maybe because it's a Sunday morning, the day after sitting at a party watching the Duke-VT game surrounded by primarily Carolina fans, sprinkled with Clemson and Virginia fans.....maybe there was one other Duke fan there......tough game to endure with that many distractions, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, a couple of questions for you: will that one play go down as Carolina's defining moment in the Hansbrough/Green years? Where is Danny Green's draft stock now? On the Carolina Message Boards, is there a Duke fan that has over 100 posts?

These are all questions I honestly don't know. And because of your post, I was curious to get the perspective of a Carolina fan. Maybe I am a bit defensive after enduring about 4 hours worth of arguing why it should have been a foul on Scheyer vs a travel....I don't know.....

For those who might not have figured out what I meant, TH will no doubt get dunked on alot in the NBA, and it won't be pretty sometimes. There will be some ugly shot blocks too. But he'll be there, making some strong plays and making an impact in some games, count on it.

In ACC stats, the best league in the country, he's # 1 in scoring,#6 in field goal %, #8 in total rebounding(#5OR, #9DR) and NOT in the top ten of minutes played. He shares the ball with a very talented team and has had a significant injury. He should'nt be underestimated because his game is not "pretty".

The Danny Green dunk will be remembered for a long time by UNC fans, simply because it was a big game and light blue fans love to hate on Paulus, like Duke fans love to hate on TH. There were actually some really good photo's from that moment, ones that caught the look on Paulus's face, the fans in the background etc.. and that has a lot to do with the play still being talked about. Many other big plays in past years were never captured quite the same.

I've never seen Paulus not play hard. When he gets beat, it's not like he's not trying, like some players. I like his game and effort. He's getting the most out of his talent in the ACC. While he has weaknesses in his game, he also has strengths. He's perfectly capable of hitting a game winning 3 next week that will rip a fans heart out. I won't like it if it happens, but I would appreciate it.

I tend to not get caught up in a lot of the hatin' on so and so crap. Either side. There are very few people on a message board who have ever even spoken to these kids. Why the hate? I just like to watch a game and see good players play, and make plays. I try to be as objective as I possibly can on talent and whatever emotion I think I can pick up from a TV screen when I give an opinion here and let the chips fall where they may. I want to see UNC win every game, but I still have to get up tomorrow and go fishing. Know what I mean?

On Danny Green... I see him as a slightly better athlete than Okulaja, who had a very good pro career in Europe, before injury, but couldn't stick in the NBA. He's similar in style to Jawad Williams too, who hasn't been able to get an NBA career established. He does have good size for his skill set and feel for the game, and he can also shoot it off the catch.
He could surprise me, but I think he's just a tad lead footed and a weak ball handler to make a real impact in the NBA. Will get paid nicely somewhere, which is not bad for bouncing a ball.

One of he reasons I hang out here, and not a UNC site, is I believe every ying needs a yang. Keeps things balanced and interesting. There are some very insightful posters here too, which I like. I also like that it is a moderated site that will let everyone express opinions, even when not very popular, as long as everyone stays respectful of each other. There is, and always has been a comminuty here that loves the game and the ACC in general, like I do.
I found DBR the first year the guys started the site, ('95'96?) and immediately liked it. The guys do a great job of writing and staying on top of not only Duke basketball, but the national scene, the ACC and other things that interest me.

CDu
03-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Had the chance to watch the Wizards/Sixers game from the lower level earlier this week. I was reminded just how different the NBA and college game. Hansbrough will struggle bigtime in the NBA. He's not big enough, quick enough, and does not shoot well enough to be an effective offensive player at the NBA level. He will struggle defensively against bigger, quicker players. I see lots of splinters in his future. BTW, I think JJ (25 on June) will have a more successful NBA career and Psycho T (24 in November). JJ is a great shooter and there is always a need for that. There is no aspect of Hansbrough's game that is superior.

You bring up a good point about the size and athleticism in the NBA. It's the reason that Redick has had trouble getting consistent time. It's the reason that Nelson isn't going to make it as a shooting guard. Unless you have an A-level skill (or several plus skills) at the NBA level, you aren't going to make it. Hansbrough doesn't have the height or the size, he doesn't have the speed, he doesn't have the length, and he doesn't have the leaping ability.

I think he'll be a more effective version of Mark Madsen. He's undersized but scrappy, and mid-range shooting is pretty much his only plus skill at the NBA level. If he puts on more weight, he may be able to carve out a "poor man's" Charles Oakley niche. Oakley was so strong on the blocks and had a nice 15 foot jumper. That's probably the best case scenario.

But this has all been the case throughout his career. It wasn't like the guy was a lottery pick coming into the season. That's why I don't think Hansbrough's NBA stock has fallen. If anything, it's held the same or possibly it's gone up ever so slightly in that he's occasionally shown the 15+ foot jumper.

Devilsfan
03-01-2009, 11:37 PM
I'm so happy the travl'in man is graduating. He's not an NBA tallent but he is quite a college player.

flyingdutchdevil
03-01-2009, 11:45 PM
Anyone else find it interesting how the world criticises two of the best ACC players in the modern area for a) being unathletic, b) playing subpar defense c) dominating the college game but having little potential in the NBA?

Love it or (most likely) hate it, JJ and Tyler are being treated similar in the eyes of many

dubayuw
03-02-2009, 12:13 AM
He is not going to be a good NBA player. He is just one of those guys who you know isn't going to be a good NBA player. Smart of him to stay in college 4 years even if it hurt his draft status.

moonpie23
03-02-2009, 01:11 AM
i think any duke fan would have loved to see hansfrick come play for the blue devils...

his poor selection in choice of schools was just that....sloppy impulse control.

Devilsfan
03-02-2009, 07:55 AM
To answer the threads' question, it's awful cold at the South Pole. Dress warm TY.

Faison1
03-02-2009, 08:55 AM
For those who might not have figured out what I meant, TH will no doubt get dunked on alot in the NBA, and it won't be pretty sometimes. There will be some ugly shot blocks too. But he'll be there, making some strong plays and making an impact in some games, count on it.

In ACC stats, the best league in the country, he's # 1 in scoring,#6 in field goal %, #8 in total rebounding(#5OR, #9DR) and NOT in the top ten of minutes played. He shares the ball with a very talented team and has had a significant injury. He should'nt be underestimated because his game is not "pretty".

The Danny Green dunk will be remembered for a long time by UNC fans, simply because it was a big game and light blue fans love to hate on Paulus, like Duke fans love to hate on TH. There were actually some really good photo's from that moment, ones that caught the look on Paulus's face, the fans in the background etc.. and that has a lot to do with the play still being talked about. Many other big plays in past years were never captured quite the same.

I've never seen Paulus not play hard. When he gets beat, it's not like he's not trying, like some players. I like his game and effort. He's getting the most out of his talent in the ACC. While he has weaknesses in his game, he also has strengths. He's perfectly capable of hitting a game winning 3 next week that will rip a fans heart out. I won't like it if it happens, but I would appreciate it.

I tend to not get caught up in a lot of the hatin' on so and so crap. Either side. There are very few people on a message board who have ever even spoken to these kids. Why the hate? I just like to watch a game and see good players play, and make plays. I try to be as objective as I possibly can on talent and whatever emotion I think I can pick up from a TV screen when I give an opinion here and let the chips fall where they may. I want to see UNC win every game, but I still have to get up tomorrow and go fishing. Know what I mean?

On Danny Green... I see him as a slightly better athlete than Okulaja, who had a very good pro career in Europe, before injury, but couldn't stick in the NBA. He's similar in style to Jawad Williams too, who hasn't been able to get an NBA career established. He does have good size for his skill set and feel for the game, and he can also shoot it off the catch.
He could surprise me, but I think he's just a tad lead footed and a weak ball handler to make a real impact in the NBA. Will get paid nicely somewhere, which is not bad for bouncing a ball.

One of he reasons I hang out here, and not a UNC site, is I believe every ying needs a yang. Keeps things balanced and interesting. There are some very insightful posters here too, which I like. I also like that it is a moderated site that will let everyone express opinions, even when not very popular, as long as everyone stays respectful of each other. There is, and always has been a comminuty here that loves the game and the ACC in general, like I do.
I found DBR the first year the guys started the site, ('95'96?) and immediately liked it. The guys do a great job of writing and staying on top of not only Duke basketball, but the national scene, the ACC and other things that interest me.

Well, now I feel bad for calling you out like that. My apologies. I look forward to reading more of your posts, but also look forward to the day Duke cycles back to being on top. Anyway, I appreciate your thorough analysis, and think it's pretty accurate and rational.

I guess I was feeling a bit shell-shocked yesterday morning. I even went so far as to blast my father-in-law and brother-in-law about the Duke "non-calls".

BTW....I pulled up your fishing link just to see who you were.......sounds like a nice life.

dgoore97
03-03-2009, 06:02 PM
From ESPN: Tyler Hansbrough, PF, North Carolina
For the first time since his freshman season, Hansbrough is no longer in our top 30. He hasn't been able to bounce back from an early injury and his rebounding numbers are the worst of his college career. Said one NBA executive, "What can I do with an undersized power forward who isn't athletic and doesn't rebound?"

That feeling is shared by many NBA executives who feel Hansbrough will have, at best, a Mark Madsen-type impact in the league. It's still not out of the question that he goes late in the first round, but all of the talk about him being a late-lottery to mid-first-round pick is over.

superdave
03-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Was just checking out NBA draft stuff on Espn.
Chad Ford as of 1/22 had GH at #22, which has probably risena noth or two of late.
But he said Hansborough has likely fallen out of first round because his rebounding is way off and he seems to be banged up.

BD80
03-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Mike Freeman hits this one DEEP:

If there is anything that proves Hansbrough, while a good player, is one of the greatest media creations in college basketball history, it's the play of Griffin, who has been every bit as intense and gritty and nightmare-fueled this season as Hansbrough was last year, but has gotten a fraction of the press and appreciation.

Griffin is Hansbrough. They're the exact same player except that Griffin is more NBA-ready.

In fact, Griffin's toughness and grit might surpass even Hansbrough's. Diving over that table post-concussion for a loose ball in a regular season game was impressive.

It's something that if Hansbrough did, it would lead the evening news. It would be Hansbrough, and then a story about AIG. There would be Beowulf-like odes sung in Hansbrough's honor.

...But because many media and fans think Griffin's abilities are genetic and Hansbrough's aren't, Hansbrough is viewed as a hard-working human cyborg whose chin never met a hardwood floor it didn't like.

... It's particularly unforgivable from experts in the media like Vitale, who should have known that they were overstating Hansbrough's impact and grit.

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/11457662

Freeman doesn't specifically raise the racial issue, but he alludes to it, and suggests it will be discussed in response to the article. I think he wanted to just leave it at "Hansbrough is so overrated," but he just couldn't do it.

With that small digression, it is a fun article to read, as long as you stop before you get to the reader comments.

roywhite
03-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Frankly, I think there's just some Hansbrough-fatigue that has set in among fans and commentators alike. The guy has been around for a long time, we know what he does, and there's only so many times he can be praised for his hard work and effort. In today's culture he's guilty of a major sin---he's boring and predictable.

Auditions are currently being held for the next Tarheel player we can hate the most.

gw67
03-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Freeman comes accross a little like Isiah Thomas when he couldn't bring himself to praise the ability of Larry Bird. Sure, race may play a role in the praising of Hansbrough's work ethic just as it may play a role in the "hating" of Hansbrough by posters on various college basketball sites. I prefer to go with someone who should know - his coach. Williams has stated many times that Hansbrough is the second hardest worrker that he has been associated with in college basketball. The first being Michael Jordan. Jeez, I'm sure many figured that Michael was great just due to his DNA. He was great, because like Tiger Woods and Jack Nicklaus, he combined God-given ability with hard work and a very, strong competitive drive. Not unlike many of the great athletes that I've seen play over the years.

Personally, I really like Griffin as a player both from the standpoint of his demeanor and his outstanding skill set. I also like Hansbrough as a player although I must admit that I have grown tired of all the putdowns on this site (probably Hansbrough fatigue as discussed by roywhite in this thread). I am hopeful that some of that nonsense will disappear when he graduates but I suspect that many will delight if he has difficulties adjusting to the NBA. Personally, I could care less whether he gets 5 points or 25 points tonight and whether he stars in the pros.

gw67