PDA

View Full Version : Calhoun gets hot at post-game presser

calltheobvious
02-22-2009, 11:22 AM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3925051

Calhoun was questioned about whether this salary, as a state employee, is justified in this economy. Check out the fireworks.

How would you feel if Duke were public and Coach K responded to the question this way? I'm posting this here because I don't want to get into the political merits of the question, just the PR aspects of Calhoun's response. This was classic bullying behavior, no matter how ill-timed the question, and Calhoun should apologize. He easily, even gracefully, could have handled the question without being a jerk.

FWIW, on neither last night's nor this morning SportsCenter was any college hoops analyst solicited for editorial comment.

jipops
02-22-2009, 11:25 AM
I don't think highly of Calhoun at all, but he's in the right on this one.

CDu
02-22-2009, 11:28 AM

Calhoun was questioned about whether this salary, as a state employee, is justified in this economy. Check out the fireworks.

How would you feel if Duke were public and Coach K responded to the question this way? I'm posting this here because I don't want to get into the political merits of the question, just the PR aspects of Calhoun's response. This was classic bullying behavior, no matter how ill-timed the question, and Calhoun should apologize. He easily, even gracefully, could have handled the question without being a jerk.

FWIW, on neither last night's nor this morning SportsCenter was any college hoops analyst solicited for editorial comment.

In fairness to Calhoun (and I hate saying that), the question was completely inappropriate during a post-game press conference. The activist was looking to be inflammatory. Calhoun mentioned that if he wanted to discuss it in private he would have done so, but being it up in public during a post-game press conference is inappropriate.

Sure, Calhoun could have been nicer. But the question could have been asked in a more tactful manner. So Calhoun answered the question in a less than appropriate manner as well.

FireOgilvie
02-22-2009, 11:32 AM
I really didn't think it was too bad. I honestly think just about any coach in that position would have reacted angrily. The "reporter" is basically accusing him of being greedy and overpaid in hard financial times... I would have flipped out too. Like he said, the basketball program brings in 12 million for the school.

I was looking for the picture of Coach K and Yao the other day and came across this article on google.

http://www.kansascity.com/180/story/742543.html

It's just another example of a coach not reacting well to a question of direct criticism.

FWIW, I didn't agree with the article... just thought it was interesting.

calltheobvious
02-22-2009, 11:45 AM
I really didn't think it was too bad. I honestly think just about any coach in that position would have reacted angrily. The "reporter" is basically accusing him of being greedy and overpaid in hard financial times... I would have flipped out too. Like he said, the basketball program brings in 12 million for the school.

I was looking for the picture of Coach K and Yao the other day and came across this article on google.

It's just another example of a coach not reacting well to a question of direct criticism.

FWIW, I didn't agree with the article... just thought it was interesting.

In neither case do I have any sympathy for the questioner, I just expect both men to be more artful in their responses. Maybe the question to K wasn't bait, but the question to Calhoun certainly was. I don't begrudge Calhoun his irritation, I begrudge him his undignified response. It would have been better all the way around for him and his employer if he'd put the reporter in his place without having to resort to bullying tactics. I'd expect the highest-paid state employee in Connecticut to be better than that.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Kudo's to Calhoun for handling it so "coolly". He could easily have dropped an F-bomb on the guy. :D

Faison1
02-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Didn't Leslie Viscer (sp?) from 60 Minutes ask coach K essentially the same thing during a public presser maybe 15 years ago?

His response before ending the presser prematurely was, "How much money do you make, and wouldn't you be expected to make a lot of money if you were at the top of your profession?" IIRC.

What a ding-dong the guy is who's asking the question. I mean seriously. He epitomizes the problem with modern-day journalism.....get your target fired up, so it makes front page news. Kinda reminds me of Gregg Doyel. He should have his press credentials rescinded.

SMO
02-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Like he said, the basketball program brings in 12 million for the school.

Can anyone verify this? I find it surprising because I've heard most major football programs lose money, and just think about how enormous their stadiums are in addition to other revenue streams. Perhaps the $12MM is just a revenue figure? If that were the case his program may well lose money.

bill brill
02-22-2009, 02:52 PM
the reporter in question was leslie stahl, who had been sent here specifically to ask her question in a forum like that. K would have talked to her privately, but she had an agenda and she was going to use it. I believe the subject was whether or not athletes should be paid, altho my memory ain't much any more. but I was there, and it was a media setup. I thought K handled it well.

brevity
02-22-2009, 03:32 PM
I was looking for the picture of Coach K and Yao the other day

You mean this one (http://www.dukeblueplanet.com/blog.asp?bid=9&pid=149)?

I felt obligated to respond, since I cropped it for my avatar.

Faison1
02-22-2009, 04:48 PM
the reporter in question was leslie stahl, who had been sent here specifically to ask her question in a forum like that. K would have talked to her privately, but she had an agenda and she was going to use it. I believe the subject was whether or not athletes should be paid, altho my memory ain't much any more. but I was there, and it was a media setup. I thought K handled it well.

Thanks....that was it.....no matter the situation, I think it's low class.

dukestheheat
02-22-2009, 06:01 PM

An activist, by nature, works to incite something. That's why they are called 'activists.' If he were called a pacificist, then he'd calmly ask a benign question and then it'd go from there.

Anyway, I am not worried that Calhoun responded the way he did; you could tell he was steamed at the question and I think rightfully steamed he was.

dth.

Classof06
02-22-2009, 06:23 PM
Completely inappropriate time and place to ask a question like that. I have absolutely no problem with the way Calhoun reacted, especially when the guy kept going on and on about it. If you listen closely, you can hear the other reporters at the press conference telling the guy to get a life.

And I don't doubt that the UCONN's men's basketball program brings in $12MM a year for the university. I have no problems believing that.

dukebluelemur
02-23-2009, 06:10 AM
And I don't doubt that the UCONN's men's basketball program brings in $12MM a year for the university. I have no problems believing that.

Is that counting revenue from stolen laptops?

allenmurray
02-23-2009, 07:10 AM
Is that counting revenue from stolen laptops?

I guess Calhoun should have said $12, 003,000

JimBD
02-23-2009, 11:34 AM
I am no Calhoun fan, but some people just don't get it. Not only does the basketball program show a profit of over $12 million to the university, but I suspect that alumni that feel good about the program tend to contribute more to the university. Plus look at all the free publicity that Connecticut gets from the basketball program (mostly favorable-I'm not going to get into laptops), which probably results in more high school students considering Connecticut as well as keeping Connecticut in the minds of potential donors. There are probably a number of schools that would be willing to pay more than Calhoun's salary in order to get the financial success and the basketball success that Calhoun has brought to Connecticut. Calhoun is well worth the money he makes, as is Coach K at Duke.

Chitowndevil
02-23-2009, 12:38 PM
As much as I dislike Calhoun, I agree with others in this thread who say the question was completely out of line. Would it have been ideal for Calhoun to handle it in a more professional way? Yes. But I can't really blame him for going off on the guy, as the question was clearly unprofessional.

Reisen
02-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Couple of thoughts:

A- That KansasCity article clearly has an agenda. I didn't find anything the least bit confrontational in Coach K's words. We're supposed to take the journalist at their word that K glared at the questioner (who didn't ask an inappropriate question)? That sounds to me like a complete non-issue, and certainly not the least bit comparable to Calhoun's rant.

B- Calhoun's not a nice guy. I actually have no problem with what he's paid, but I don't think the question is unreasonable. It's a press conference. Celebrities and politicians get asked all kinds of questions in press conferences they're not thrilled to get, and the reporter asked it in a relatively benign fashion. Anybody that didn't see that coming must live in a cave. Obviously, Calhoun wasn't the least bit surprised.

All Calhoun had to say was "Yes, I'm a state employee and these are tough economic times for the state. But my program is actually a large profit generator for the University, and I'm a big part of that. So I feel the pay is justified."

Instead, as others mentioned, he took a classic bully stance, in shouting his opponent down. I think that's indicative of the type of person he is.

allenmurray
02-23-2009, 02:20 PM
I actually have no problem with what he's paid, but I don't think the question is unreasonable. It's a press conference. Celebrities and politicians get asked all kinds of questions in press conferences they're not thrilled to get, and the reporter asked it in a relatively benign fashion. Anybody that didn't see that coming must live in a cave. Obviously, Calhoun wasn't the least bit surprised.

All Calhoun had to say was "Yes, I'm a state employee and these are tough economic times for the state. But my program is actually a large profit generator for the University, and I'm a big part of that. So I feel the pay is justified."

I agree on a number of fronts. Calhoun is a public figure and it was an open press conference. Part of his job is to handle these things like a professional, even if the other party doesn't act professionally. In that regard he failed, and put his employer in a bad light.

He is a state employee. State employees are being laid off, seeing health premiums go up, not getting COL raises, etc. None of this has to do with how much he is paid, but he shouldn't have been surprised by the question. In the current economic environment the salaries of all highly paid employees, whether public employees like basketrball coaches and heads of university medical centers, or private employees in the financial sector are a legitimate question.

His response was less than honest. Let's say that the uconn basketball program does bring in 12 million. Is that before or after the salaries of his assistants, his staff, the academic advising staff, the facility staff, etc. are paid? Is it before or after the costs of scholraships are factored in? I don't want to know how much money the program brings in - that is meaningless. I want to know how much the program brings in after expenses. Then I want to know if his salary is an appropriate share of the revenue. In other fields does the CEO make 15% of the total profit of the enterprise? I don't know, but it is not an illegitmate question to ask (and I believe more legitimate than if he was the coach at a private university). Was it the best forum for the question? Probably not. Would Calhoun have had a real on-the-record discussion of the topic in another private forum? Probably not.

captmojo
02-23-2009, 03:43 PM
1) There is a time and place for everything. This was not that time. Coach offered to entertain his questions outside the conference room.

2) Not being a taxpayer in Connecticut, it's none of my business what his salary is.

3) Not being a Huskie fan, I won't cry for them if they should begin to lose 12 million a year.

I will however, offer them use of my world's tiniest violin.

allenmurray
02-23-2009, 03:52 PM
There is a time and place for everything. This was not that time. Coach offered to entertain his questions outside the conference room.

I have real doubts about the sincerity of that offer.

Not being a taxpayer in Connecticut, it's none of my business what his salary is.

But you're a taxpayer somewhere. As a press conference question it was stupid - it went nowhere. But as a general question of fiscal policy, whether you are a resident of CT, or NC, or MD, or TX, or somewhere else that pays the basketball coach at the state university a higher salary than any other state employee, it does raise legitimate public policy issues.

Not being a Huskie fan, I won't cry for them if they should begin to lose 12 million a year.

I will however, offer them use of my world's tiniest violin.

I'd like them to lose 12 million and 28 games. But they'd have to rent my violin because I would offer them ntohting - you are far too kind. ;)

Classof06
02-23-2009, 03:55 PM

Instead, as others mentioned, he took a classic bully stance, in shouting his opponent down. I think that's indicative of the type of person he is.

When the question was asked, Calhoun did not shout the opponent down at all. His first response was "Not a dime back," which clearly articulates your "I feel the pay is justified" part; many of the reporters even laughed when Calhoun said that.

It wasn't until the reporter kept going after it with snide remarks that Calhoun got defensive and he was more than in his rights to do so. That reporter was a jackass. The other reporters at the press conference unleashed on that guy before Calhoun did, so I'm sorry, I have a hard time putting blame on Calhoun for this one.

And I don't like Calhoun either.

Let's say that the uconn basketball program does bring in 12 million. Is that before or after the salaries of his assistants, his staff, the academic advising staff, the facility staff, etc. are paid? Is it before or after the costs of scholraships are factored in? I don't want to know how much money the program brings in - that is meaningless. I want to know how much the program brings in after expenses. Then I want to know if his salary is an appropriate share of the revenue. In other fields does the CEO make 15% of the total profit of the enterprise? I don't know, but it is not an illegitmate question to ask (and I believe more legitimate than if he was the coach at a private university). Probably not.

How can the money a program brings into the school be meaningless? Are you serious? If a basketball coach is bringing in $12MM dollars to a university that many people would never think of if it wasn't for basketball, I'd say his salary is justified. And we haven't even begun to talk about what having a basketball program of UCONN's caliber can do for admissions, applications and other peripheral areas of the university. What do expenses have to do with anything? That's funny, I didn't see you asking about Calhoun's salary after taxes; I bet it's not $1.6MM . If you're going to make qualifications, do it across the board.

Nobody said it was an illegitimate question. But the forum and manner in which the question was asked were both completely inappropriate.

And private school or not, I don't see anyone raising their eyebrows when Mike Krzyzewski is the highest paid Duke University employee year in and year out. Wanna venture to make a guess why he is?

captmojo
02-23-2009, 03:58 PM
I have real doubts about the sincerity of that offer.

But you're a taxpayer somewhere. As a press conference question it was stupid - it went nowhere. But as a general question of fiscal policy, whether you are a resident of CT, or NC, or MD, or TX, or somewhere else that pays the basketball coach at the state university a higher salary than any other state employee, it does raise legitimate public policy issues.

I'd like them to lose 12 million and 28 games. But they'd have to rent my violin because I would offer them ntohting - you are far too kind. ;)

I doubt Calhoun's sincerity about anything. I would say that his body language appeared to be that which looked as though he had a good knowledge of the reporter and an "other than most friendly" relationship might have been present.

As for my special musical instrument...yes, I am quite the generous sort. :D Any Wake people? This offer extends your way as well.

Rudy
02-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Calhoun was justified in his response. Next time he can anticipate and have a lighter response.

Reminds me of Babe Ruth. When asked in 1930 if he knew that his pay at $80,000 per year was higher than President Hoover's $75,000, Ruth replied, "I know. But I had a better year than Hoover."

TheBrianZoubekExperience
02-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Beyond any monetary benefit the program makes, its fun for its students to go to a school with a top 5 basketball team. Even if not a strong academic student leans towards UCONN to be part of a school with a big time hoops program (I have no idea how many people do but I'm guessing at least some people do) its still fun for the students to go to the games and follow the team which likley brings goodwill towards the school and possibly more alumni donations, etc.

The reporter was just a [jerk] IMO. Also, why is the Comcast deal relevant? If thats a private endorsement deal for Calhoun then it doesn't really have much to do with the state's budget and more about the fact that Calhoun can get endorsement deals because he's had a ton of success.

Rudy
02-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Beyond any monetary benefit the program makes, its fun for its students to go to a school with a top 5 basketball team. Even if not a strong academic student leans towards UCONN to be part of a school with a big time hoops program (I have no idea how many people do but I'm guessing at least some people do) its still fun for the students to go to the games and follow the team which likley brings goodwill towards the school and possibly more alumni donations, etc.

Before Virginia Tech had a good football team, it was considered a safety school for admission for the Virginia B student, at least for the non-engineering school. The football program's success raised its visibility for both in-state and out-of-state applicants. Maybe it's just a coincidence that it is far from an easy admit now, but I doubt it. The value Calhoun and his program has brought to UConn goes far beyond just the direct net revenue.

allenmurray
02-23-2009, 04:28 PM
How can the money a program brings into the school be meaningless? Are you serious? If a basketball coach is bringing in $12MM dollars to a university that many people would never think of if it wasn't for basketball, I'd say his salary is justified. And we haven't even begun to talk about what having a basketball program of UCONN's caliber can do for admissions, applications and other peripheral areas of the university. What do expenses have to do with anything? That's funny, I didn't see you asking about Calhoun's salary after taxes; I bet it's not $1.6MM . If you're going to make qualifications, do it across the board.

Calm down. I didn't mean the money is meaningless, I meant that the ratio of his salary to gross revenue is meaningless. It is a ratio that has no meaning. His salary (whether pre or post tax) to net revenue (after expenses) is a more meaningful figure. That is all I meant. If they are paying 1.6MM because he brings in 10 million after expenses uconn is getting a great deal. If they are paying him 1.6 MM and uconn only brings in 1.65MM after expenses, well not so a great deal. Without knowing the after-expenses revenue we don't know if he is earning his keep or not. I suspect he is, but I don't know that without knowing the net revenue - the gross revenue figure is not nearly as meaningful.

Nobody said it was an illegitimate question. But the forum and manner in which the question was asked were both completely inappropriate.

I agree. However, I also added: Part of his job is to handle these things like a professional, even if the other party doesn't act professionally. I stand by that. If you are a representative of the university (its and the state's highest paid and most visible employee) having a hair-trigger doesn't do much for your public image, nor does it represent your employer in a good light.

And private school or not, I don't see anyone raising their eyebrows when Mike Krzyzewski is the highest paid Duke University employee year in and year out. Wanna venture to make a guess why he is?

For the same reason that Calhoun is the highest paid at uconn - they both are incredibly good at thier jobs and bring money into thier employer. However, Duke is not a taxpayer funded institution. It is answerable to donors, not to taxpayers. There is a difference.

TheBrianZoubekExperience
02-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Before Virginia Tech had a good football team, it was considered a safety school for admission for the Virginia B student, at least for the non-engineering school. The football program's success raised its visibility for both in-state and out-of-state applicants. Maybe it's just a coincidence that it is far from an easy admit now, but I doubt it. The value Calhoun and his program has brought to UConn goes far beyond just the direct net revenue.

Yeah, thats what I meant but I didn't have any way to really quantify it. Its something that adds to the appeal of the school. I know the bball factor was relevant when I decided on Duke. It didn't drastically change things but when I was choosing between a few very similar schools it was a factor. I'm guessing schools with good sports get some kind of boost both in who matriculates and also maybe alumni donations if the sports programs add to the students' experience and leave them with a better impression of the school.

alteran
02-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Wow, a reporter asks a snotty question, and Calhoun like an [wanker, etc.]

Hmmmm... reporter or Calhoun-- this is like one of those games where you root for a meteorite.

BD80
02-23-2009, 05:40 PM
I really didn't think it was too bad. I honestly think just about any coach in that position would have reacted angrily. The "reporter" is basically accusing him of being greedy and overpaid in hard financial times... I would have flipped out too. ...

My understanding is that the tool asking Calhoun the questions wasn't really a reporter, but an internet blogger. The reaction by the pool reporters is all you need to judge the esteem in which he is held.

I despise Calhoun, but don't hold this episode against him. I would not want to see Coach K reacting that way, but I hold him to a higher standard.

The KC idiot Posnanski has an axe to grind and seemed to be alone in his interpretation of Coach K's response. Perhaps Coach K was being defensive to perceived criticism of his players, but his response wasn't so bad, and no worse than Posnanski's proposed replies crafted at the keyboard, without the pressure of the world press.

calltheobvious
02-23-2009, 06:16 PM
My understanding is that the tool asking Calhoun the questions wasn't really a reporter, but an internet blogger. The reaction by the pool reporters is all you need to judge the esteem in which he is held.

I despise Calhoun, but don't hold this episode against him. I would not want to see Coach K reacting that way, but I hold him to a higher standard.

The KC idiot Posnanski has an axe to grind and seemed to be alone in his interpretation of Coach K's response. Perhaps Coach K was being defensive to perceived criticism of his players, but his response wasn't so bad, and no worse than Posnanski's proposed replies crafted at the keyboard, without the pressure of the world press.

Why does he have "an axe to grind?" Because you disagree with him? Because he dared to criticize someone most of us here respect? Yours is a double ad hominem.

As for calling the guy an idiot, it may or may not matter to you that Joe Posnanski is one of the most highly respected sportswriters in the country. Now you could certainly crack back with comparisons to the best ballerina in Amarillo, but we both know that would be unfair and silly.

Acymetric
02-23-2009, 06:30 PM
I feel pretty confident that Calhoun was right, though allenmurray does raise good points about what exactly the 12 million meant.

I also feel pretty confident in saying that while his response was correct, it was far from appropriate. If this was a question that kept coming up, the response would become appropriate. But it could only have helped him to answer the question calmly with the facts after the initial question. Had he done that, the situation would have been completely diffused.

That may not have been the place for such a question, but at the same time, I don't really think Calhoun would ever have fielded the question, no matter what the situation was. I'm sure there are people besides that reporter had the same question, and Calhoun had a good answer. Unfortunately, in giving his answer, he confirmed my suspicions that he is an arrogant jerk. Among other things.

BD80
02-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Why does he have "an axe to grind?" Because you disagree with him? Because he dared to criticize someone most of us here respect? Yours is a double ad hominem.

As for calling the guy an idiot, it may or may not matter to you that Joe Posnanski is one of the most highly respected sportswriters in the country. Now you could certainly crack back with comparisons to the best ballerina in Amarillo, but we both know that would be unfair and silly.

The guy hates Duke basketball. Why do I say that? Because HE says that:

Over time, I have come to despise radar guns. I don’t mean that I disapprove of them or feel they’re useless or wish that teams would stop putting so much faith in their readings. I mean I DESPISE them, in the same way that I despise Duke basketball.

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2008/04/14/banny-log-041308/

Oops. I was wrong. He didn't say he hated Duke basketball, he said he DESPISED Duke basketball. I guess that makes him a highly respected sportswriter by some - but not by me.

It sounds like he has an axe to grind. But I couldn't find a quote where he admits to having an axe to grind, so we will just have to go with the circumstantial evidence.

As for being an idiot, I consider anyone who despises Duke basketball to be an idiot. I am willing to stand trial in front of a jury of my peers, as represented by regular contributors on this board.

I happen to know the best ballerina in Amarillo. She is an armadillo. And I wouldn't insult her with a comparison to Posnanski.

Acymetric
02-23-2009, 06:55 PM
The guy hates Duke basketball. Why do I say that? Because HE says that:

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2008/04/14/banny-log-041308/

Oops. I was wrong. He didn't say he hated Duke basketball, he said he DESPISED Duke basketball. I guess that makes him a highly respected sportswriter by some - but not by me.

It sounds like he has an axe to grind. But I couldn't find a quote where he admits to having an axe to grind, so we will just have to go with the circumstantial evidence.

As for being an idiot, I consider anyone who despises Duke basketball to be an idiot. I am willing to stand trial in front of a jury of my peers, as represented by regular contributors on this board.

I happen to know the best ballerina in Amarillo. She is an armadillo. And I wouldn't insult her with a comparison to Posnanski.

So both the guy AND Calhoun are jerks. Makes sense. But Calhoun isn't the good guy here like some people are making him out to be. The question and the response were out of line.

snewman92
02-23-2009, 07:24 PM

Perhaps this belongs on the PPB, but I see a cluster of related myths that have barged into this conversation, and I'd like to show them the door. For the dubious claims that successful athletic programs raise student quality and alumni donations and that they are worth the remarkably high investment they require, please see: http://www.knightfoundation.org/research_publications/detail.dot?id=178207

One can defend big-time sports programs on other grounds--heck, I'm posting to the DBR, so I better have my own justifications, or I'm a hypocrite--but these two particular pillars of the conventional argument are awfully shaky, not backed up by good data.

Allenmurray also raises a salient point when he asks what's left over from Calhoun's $12 million (has this number actually been backed up, btw?) after one subtracts expenses of various types. I would complicate things a bit more by asking how much of that surplus, assuming there is one, is not then plowed back into the basketball program or into athletics more generally. Of course, one could respond that that $ would have to come from somewhere, but that then presupposes that these programs are worth the investment, both in $ and, more importantly, worth their potential to distract from the core educative functions of the university.

Again, I write this not as an all-out attack on big-time sports programs: my grandad played football for Michigan; some of my fondest memories are going to U Miami fb games as a kid, not to mention the many shining moments I've had as a Duke BB fan. But as an alum and an academic, I do have real concerns about such programs, and I'd want any discussion to be on a firm
evidentiary basis. Of course, in the end, we do have to make claims of value and policy on these issues. And there is plenty of room for disagreement there. But we need to get our claims of fact straight first.

Reisen
02-23-2009, 09:02 PM
When the question was asked, Calhoun did not shout the opponent down at all. His first response was "Not a dime back," which clearly articulates your "I feel the pay is justified" part; many of the reporters even laughed when Calhoun said that.

It wasn't until the reporter kept going after it with snide remarks that Calhoun got defensive and he was more than in his rights to do so. That reporter was a jackass. The other reporters at the press conference unleashed on that guy before Calhoun did, so I'm sorry, I have a hard time putting blame on Calhoun for this one.

I just watched the video again. His first response was "not a dime back", which really isn't any kind of sufficient answer. I think it's perfectly appropriate for the guy to press on it.

He asks Calhoun what his deal with Comcast is worth, Calhoun thinks, then says "You're not really that stupid, are you?". "My best advice to you? Shut up."

That's not an appropriate response to a reporter at a press conference. Calhoun is a state employee, in a time of crisis. It should come as no surprise that his compensation is being questioned. Calhoun's bullying response is indicative of what kind of person he is.

Even Roy Williams showed a lot more class to Bonny Bernstein after losing the national championship. We occasionally see coaches blow up at pressers, but guess what, it's usually defending their players.

Calhoun blew up because he didn't like being questioned on his comp. Stories have circulated about his lack of character for years, and this is just one more...

calltheobvious
02-23-2009, 09:27 PM
Could we get this moved to the PPB? When I started the thread I was more interested with discussions of Calhoun's response per se, but I see that I was wrong in believing his response could be separated from the reporter's question.

Several of the responses clearly demonstrate that there's legitimate discussion to be had about the line of questioning, even if some feel the time and place for it were wrong.

BD80
02-23-2009, 09:28 PM
... For the dubious claims that successful athletic programs raise student quality and alumni donations and that they are worth the remarkably high investment they require, please see: http://www.knightfoundation.org/research_publications/detail.dot?id=178207

Humorous reading. Frank's conclusion is based on reviewing selected studies conducted by others. No original work. It also appears on its face to be biased. While most of the findings are inconclusive or statistically insignificant, one study is fairly clear:

A 1996 study concluded that although winning records do not translate into higher gifts at public and private universities, bowl game appearances do result in significantly higher gifts (an estimated average gift increment of $40 per year per alumnus at private universities, $6.50 per year per alumnus at public universities). They also found that NCAA basketball tournament appearances result in higher gifts at public universities (an annual increment of $5.60 per alumnus).

The crux of Frank's conclusion is that spending money on athletics by one institution will only benefit that institution at the cost of other institution (there can only be 20 top-20 teams and only 4 teams in the final four), and that an "arms race" has developed. Thus:

“if all institutions cut back in tandem, competitive balance would be maintained.” [Frank] advocates greater “arms control” in college sports, in which governing bodies such as the NCAA (if permitted by the antitrust authorities) would create incentives for each program to limit its expenditures.

Oh sure, this is realistic [SARCASM]. Well, like I said, it is funny.

This "study" completely justifies spending the money on Calhoun, he gets his team to top 20, the final four, and the national championship. Hmm, if there are 200,000 alum (current enrollment 29,000), that is $1,000,000 in additional gifts each year they simply made the tournament! I'll bet the NCs brought in a bit more, just in additional gifts.

One 1994 study cited did seem to have Calhoun's ilk in mind when it cautioned:

institutions seriously attempting to field winning programs ... are often forced by competition to operate close to the margins of allowable conduct

Calhoun may be scum, but he's not wrong here. Inappropriate, but not wrong.

snewman92
02-23-2009, 09:40 PM
Let's do move this to the PPB. But, quickly, a response to what I take to be your two main claims : ]

1) Frank's study is worthless b/c it surveys other studies. Now, I'm in the humanities, not the sciences or social sciences, but even if your characterization is correct (and I'm granting it only for the sake of argument) such reviews are found quite frequently in the academic sector (and elsewhere where people aim to do some thinkin'). They are often quite useful to survey a field in which a great deal of work has often been done.

2) Frank is biased. Well, this would require more discussion. But I note that his apparently disqualifying bias still led him to include a study that helps your case. I suppose, though, that that's the kind of stupidity and laxness we should expect from the Henrietta Johnson Louis Professor of Management and Professor of Economics at Cornell.

snewman92
02-23-2009, 10:13 PM
I hope I haven't usurped the authority of the mods, but I have, as per others' requests, started a thread on the PPB.

fisheyes
02-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Associated Press

NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- Connecticut basketball coach Jim Calhoun's tirade at a freelance journalist posing questions about the his $1.6 million salary was an "embarrassing display," the state's governor said Tuesday.

Gov. M. Jodi Rell said she believes Calhoun regrets the outburst directed at Ken Krayeske, who questioned the veteran coach about his salary after a game Sunday.

[redacted for copyright violation]

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3931894)

KandG
02-24-2009, 09:47 PM
As for calling the guy an idiot, it may or may not matter to you that Joe Posnanski is one of the most highly respected sportswriters in the country.

Posnanski might be a fine baseball writer, but confessing to despising Duke basketball on his blog, then writing an unflattering attack on Coach K in a newspaper story, with absolutely no context provided -- based on nothing more than disliking the way he answered a reporter's question -- is not a good way to build credibility.

I was very disappointed personally with Ponsnanski for his hatchet job in this situation. It's the sort of thing that gives reporters and bloggers a bad reputation.

Reisen
02-24-2009, 11:59 PM
Calhoun's such a classy guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX6FDEDbesE&feature=channel_page

BahamaDukie
02-25-2009, 01:09 AM
Let's face it....regardless of your political persuasion....the press in this country is out of control.

From CNN to Fox, they are all about ratings and Journalistic integrity is a contradiction in terms these days. The Pundits are paid to grab and keep our attention and when they cannot they are replaced.

Hannity, Olberman.???...2 guys that are so full of themselves and Americans watch them?

Only a journalist major would approve of the Media these days because the rule is anything goes....get the story whether it is factual or not.

The question to Calhoun was designed to get that kind of reaction, and it is too bad that Jim could not simply laugh it off.

Had he, it would have been a non-news issue.

BahamaDukie
02-25-2009, 01:10 AM
Let's face it....regardless of your political persuasion....the press in this country is out of control.

From CNN to Fox, they are all about ratings and Journalistic integrity is a contradiction in terms these days. The Pundits are paid to grab and keep our attention and when they cannot they are replaced.

Hannity, Olberman.???...2 guys that are so full of themselves and Americans watch them?

Only a journalist major would approve of the Media these days because the rule is anything goes....get the story whether it is factual or not.

The question to Calhoun was designed to get that kind of reaction, and it is too bad that Jim could not simply laugh it off.

Had he, it would have been a non-news issue.

Reisen
02-25-2009, 02:44 AM
yeah, as I think mentioned before, the "reporter" is really just a political activist, who's obviously trying to instigate. That said, Calhoun will take any opportunity to show his lack of character.