PDA

View Full Version : going to my first women's game in 15 years...what do I need to know?

bjornolf
02-22-2009, 06:41 AM
Hey all. I'm embarrassed to admit that I have just not been able to get into the women's team recently. I went to a few of their games when I was a student at Duke, and they were fine, but I was never able to get as excited as I was for men's games, and on TV, I was never able to get even vaguely interested. They just bore me for some reason. I hate to admit that, but there it is.

Anyway, my mom, who played point guard in high school 50 years ago, suddenly got a wild hair to go to the Duke v. Maryland game tonight. She's confined to a wheelchair, and dad recently fell and REALLY messed up his back, so I offered to take her. Assuming there's any college park left to go to tonight after last night's upset of UNC, can one of the team's fans tell me what I need to know about this team and game? Who are our players to watch? Terp players to watch? How good are we this year? How good are the Lady Terps? Should this be a good game? All I really know are their respective records and that they are both top 10. I can look at stats and stuff, but that doesn't tell you the whole story, does it? If I just looked at stats, I'd never realize how important Dave McClure is to the men's team.

Also, to anyone who's been to a game at Maryland, can I wear some duke swag, or are the fans as bad as the men's fans? Maybe there won't be many, as they'll all still be partying from the men's game. That would be nice. Or maybe they'll show up MORE tonight, smelling blood after last night. Be interesting to see.

Thanks for any help,
Joe

miramar
02-22-2009, 10:20 AM
The fans for women's games are usually a little more civilized, so I don't think they will throw batteries at you if you have some Dukewear. But you never know. As I recall even Nate's uncle the Marine had problems.

The first thing to remember is that this is not a typical Duke team. According to the game notes, out of 328 women's teams Duke is 107 in field goal percentage yet 7th in field goal percentage defense. So expect a tough defensive effort yet some real strain on offense.

Only one of the starters (Chante Black) has a field goal percentage of over 40%, so that will give you some idea. Also, don't expect too many threes. Duke is 185 on three point percentage and even worse on assist to turnover ratio (193), personal fouls per game (207), and turnovers per game (258).

I don't want to sound too negative, it's just that you need to be ready for something different. They have an excellent record because they play lock down defense. They are not only 7th in field goal defense, but also 2nd in steals per game, 11th in blocked shots per game, 15th in scoring margin, and 37th on turnover margin (they turn the ball over 20 times and the opponents almost 24!).

Maryland is very different. They are 6th in scoring offense and field goal percentage and first on three point percentage, so that should give you some idea. Fortunately, they are 103 in field goal defense and 267 in scoring defense, 226 in turnover margin, and 234 in three point defense, although they don't foul (they are 9th and Duke 207). Both teams bang the boards and have good rebound margins (Duke 10, Maryland 35).

I think they have won six in a row and it's always something to see Quasimodo in drag prowling the sidelines. I hate to say it, but if it's a fun game to watch, we lose. If it's ugly, we win. As Rodney Dangerfield might have said, "I went to a wrestling match and a basketball game broke out!"

bjornolf
02-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Kind of sounds like the men's team a little.

Great, so I want a hard fought, slow game in the 50s?

zingit
02-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Miramar covered it very well. One thing I'll add is that the key players for Maryland (as far as I'm aware) are their two seniors Crystal Langhorne (who is friends with Abby Waner) and Krist Tolliver. Tolliver you may remember made a contested 3-pointer to force overtime in the 2006 championship game against us, so she has not been kind to Duke fans. She almost made another late 3 in this year's Maryland game. Look for the ball to be in her hands in crunch time.

For Duke, besides Chante Black (who is a joy to watch when she is in her element), Karima Christmas is another player I really like. Often seems to make smart hustle plays and give a lift to the team. Also, our point guard Jasmine Thomas may be coming into her own now; IIRC, she had a career high and a great all-around game against Tennessee two games ago.

Also, remember that the women's team doesn't wear their names on the backs of their jerseys, so you might want to bring a print-out of their roster along to the game if you want to follow who does what.

Have fun! The defense-oriented nature of this team can be a drag sometimes, but when the defense is really clicking (and it usually is) it is a beautiful thing to watch, and it creates offense too (steals and such), which is especially fun.

calltheobvious
02-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Apologies if you already knew all of this.

In no particular order:

1) No ten-count in the back-court
2) No Five-count when offensive player is dribbling the ball, only while holding it
3) 30-second shot clock
4) 19'9" three-point arc

DukeFencer
02-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Also, remember that the women's team doesn't wear their names on the backs of their jerseys, so you might want to bring a print-out of their roster along to the game if you want to follow who does what.

When did they stop wearing their names on the back of the jerseys? Is that new this season or last?

BlueintheFace
02-22-2009, 12:25 PM
If it is a close game, it will hold your attention. If it is not, bring a book. It just isn't a very good sports product, which is why the WNBA has failed.

Devilsfan
02-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Lol. Good post.