PDA

View Full Version : Best player in ACC - Tywon Lawson?

eddiehaskell
02-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Now that he's pretty deadly from behind the arc, I don't know of a more dangerous ACC player. If Hansbrough is in the NPOY conversation, I don't see how Lawson isn't at least acknowledged. IMO, the Tarheel's season revolves around Lawson - not Hansbrough.

Stats...

15.9 ppg, 6.5 apg, 3.52 A/T, 49.4 3pt%, 56.4 fg%, 2.1 spg, 2.6 rpg

Bob Green
02-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Lawson is clearly Carolina's best player. His A/T ratio is fantastic and he has more steals than turnovers. Lawson's ability to knock down the long ball forces defenders to play him 25 feet from the basket, which exacerbates the difficulty of cutting off his dribble penetration.

jv001
02-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Lawson is clearly Carolina's best player. His A/T ratio is fantastic and he has more steals than turnovers. Lawson's ability to knock down the long ball forces defenders to play him 25 feet from the basket, which exacerbates the difficulty of cutting off his dribble penetration.

I hate to admit it, but ty lawson is much better than I thought he was. he's certainly unc's mvp. But Go Duke!

COYS
02-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Now that he's pretty deadly from behind the arc, I don't know of a more dangerous ACC player. If Hansbrough is in the NPOY conversation, I don't see how Lawson isn't at least acknowledged. IMO, the Tarheel's season revolves around Lawson - not Hansbrough.

Stats...

15.9 ppg, 6.5 apg, 3.52 A/T, 49.4 3pt%, 56.4 fg%, 2.1 spg, 2.6 rpg

I would be more inclined to agree if his defense were better. His steals are great against lesser guards, but part of his problem against quality guard play is that he gambles too much and he's short, giving up a lot of points on the other end of the court. If he spent more time using his quickness to stay in front of opposing guards instead of trying to steal the ball, I think he'd be a significantly better player.

MarkD83
02-21-2009, 07:09 PM
If the boxscore was correct UNC had only 5 assists against Md and Lawson had 2 assists and 4 turnovers. He also had 24 points which is impressive but on 8-20 shooting.

I know the points look impressive but he is supposed to be UNCs point guard. When your point guard does the shooting and does not get assists you lose.

Is it possible that Lawson is trying to show off for NBA scouts?

JDev
02-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Lawson is hands down UNC-CH's most important player, and probably their best as well. He is not and never was an elite defensive player, despite any steal statistics, but UNC-CH is not a top notch defensive team in general. Offensively, Lawson is much harder to stop than Hans or anyone else.

Ben63
02-21-2009, 08:20 PM
I cannot argue against Lawson but a strong case could be made for Jack McClinton.

Newton_14
02-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Lawson is a great player...when he wants to be.. which is the problem. He has gotten more aggressive, starting with the 2nd half of the Duke game. But he just is not a guy who can be counted on to bring his best effort every game.

I think he is the best player on their team, but not the best player in the conference. Their are alot of great players in the league. Rice, Teague, McClinton, Booker, Henderson, Singler, Douglas, Vasquez, etc etc. Lawson is amongst them for sure, but I don't see a clear case to select him over some of the others.

moonpie23
02-21-2009, 08:50 PM
lawson is a serious liability on defense....look at all the players that have shredded him....

you're not gonna be POTY for the ACC or the country when you get burnt like that on a regular basis..

SMO
02-21-2009, 09:35 PM
I hate to admit it, but ty lawson is much better than I thought he was. he's certainly unc's mvp. But Go Duke!

I agree that his offense if first-rate, much like that of UNC as a whole. But how much does defense weigh into the decision? Opposing PG's regularly have HUGE days against Lawson and the Heels (Teague, Vazquez, FSU's PG, Rice). Does anyone care?

COYS
02-21-2009, 10:21 PM
lawson is a serious liability on defense....look at all the players that have shredded him....

you're not gonna be POTY for the ACC or the country when you get burnt like that on a regular basis..

I would like to think that would be true, but see: Hansbrough, Tyler: 2008 NPOTY.

Seriously, though, as much as UNC needs to buckle down on defense, they don't have the personnel to suddenly become a defensive Juggernaut. Lawson is really good at what he does (running the break and attacking the basket with his right hand). He's not so good in the half-court if he can't attack off the dribble. As good as he is at attacking the basket, I don't think he's in the same class as Blake Griffin, who, in my opinion, should be the NPOTY. Of course, there's no reason Michael Beasley or Kevin Love shouldn't have gotten it last year, so you never know.