PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Maryland 88, (3) North Carolina 85 OT

LetItBD08
02-21-2009, 05:33 PM
See title. Thought it's worth highlighting here.

captmojo
02-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Glad someone else started this. I was afraid of a jinx. ;)

LetItBD08
02-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Figured the useful info would outweight the potential for irrational scorn.

dukeENG2003
02-21-2009, 05:38 PM
there have been some "interesting" calls that allowed MD to force overtime. I'd be pulling my hair out if I was a UNC fan. Danny Green's 5th foul was absolutely ridiculous.

My wife is screaming at me "who are you rooting for?", and she's right. Maybe I should just enjoy it.

captmojo
02-21-2009, 05:39 PM
there have been some "interesting" calls that allowed MD to force overtime. I'd be pulling my hair out if I was a UNC fan.

I can count a few the other way as well. It's been badly balanced though.

VAGentleman05
02-21-2009, 05:40 PM
I really can't stand Vasquez, but the guy's playing a heck of a game. 3rd triple double in school history.

Hancock 4 Duke
02-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Hopefully Maryland can pull it off. I would like to see UNC behind Duke for a second time this season!

captmojo
02-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Can't they both lose?

Hancock 4 Duke
02-21-2009, 05:41 PM
3rd triple double in school history.

I believe you mean 2nd:D

captmojo
02-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Ughhhhhh Why did they wait so long to foul?

dukeENG2003
02-21-2009, 05:46 PM
What was that? UNC math skills at play?

Acymetric
02-21-2009, 05:47 PM
What was that? UNC math skills at play?

I can't turn on the game, what happened?

captmojo
02-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Twerps by 1. 5.9 left.

juise
02-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Terp fans are poised to riot.

captmojo
02-21-2009, 05:50 PM
grevis shooting 2. 5.4 left

VAGentleman05
Terp fans are poised to riot.

There won't be a couch left anywhere in College Park.

Acymetric
grevis shooting 2. 5.4 left

Did the foul really only take .5 seconds?

dukeENG2003
I can't turn on the game, what happened?

Waited like 20 seconds to foul when they all but mathematically had to (35.3 seconds to play, Maryland posession), down 1

captmojo
02-21-2009, 05:52 PM
yep. 88-85 over!

BlueintheFace
02-21-2009, 05:52 PM
BEAUTIFUL!!! Down goes Carolina

notacolour
02-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Waited like 20 seconds to foul when they all but mathematically had to (35.3 seconds to play, Maryland posession), down 1

Yeah, at first I thought I was missing something...

Huh.

captmojo
02-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Mary? Well that what it was titled on last check.

Native
02-21-2009, 05:54 PM
The Duke Curse strikes again!

9F 9F 9F!

Hancock 4 Duke
02-21-2009, 05:54 PM
Maybe UNC will have a chance to be behind Duke for a second time this season!!! Go Duke AND Maryland!

DukePA
02-21-2009, 05:55 PM
Gthc, gth!!!

Stray Gator
02-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Congrats to the Terps for a really strong effort. Now let's hope they celebrate so much that they have no energy left this Wednesday. :D

Cell-R
02-21-2009, 05:57 PM
That was a great game! Vasquez is most certainly an elite-level basketball player. I hope he keeps it up, except for the Duke game. (as much as i'm supposed to dislike Maryland)

BlueintheFace
02-21-2009, 05:57 PM
hahhahahahahaha... Musberger asked Vasquez about Duke and he immediately said, "I just wanna say, that's not my house, it's Coach K's house and I respect him...." or something to that effect.

dukeENG2003
02-21-2009, 05:58 PM
9f 9f 9f!

captmojo
Wonder if Musberger wants to back Vasquez for NPOY rather than lawson, whom he previously endorsed?

taiw93
LOL at Grevis. When asked about the upcoming game vs. Duke in his postgame interview he said: "That's not my house, it's Coach K's house."
Edit: Damn, Blueintheface, you beat me to it. And I thought I was going to be first...

Devilsfan
02-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Frickin Huckelberry! I get almost as much pleasure out of watching his team lose as I do when Duke wins. Wonder if he says "Frickin" in the post game presser?

DUKIECB
02-21-2009, 06:05 PM
Frickin Huckelberry! I get almost as much pleasure out of watching his team lose as I do when Duke wins. Wonder if he says "Frickin" in the post game presser?

I honestly think I would rather watch Carolina lose than to watch Duke win.:D

DukePA
02-21-2009, 06:06 PM

I'm sure he will except that when he says "Frickin," he pronounces it to sound more like an F bomb :D!!

eddiehaskell
02-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Duke beats Maryland by about 40....UNC beats Duke by ~15....Maryland beats UNC. Wacky.

Newton_14
02-21-2009, 06:17 PM
Loving it! This is awesome! Rah Rah carlina lina, CHOKE.

Up 16 in the 2nd half and in total control. Then the shadow D kicked in. Maryland had wide open 3 after wide open 3 and made the most of the gift and knocked down alot of them.

Greatest team ever loses again!

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-21-2009, 06:18 PM
For this one moment in time, I am a Maryland fan.... I think I hear Lefty singing in the background somewhere.

Bob Green
02-21-2009, 06:21 PM
I watched the entire game and Vasquez was amazing. He scored Maryland's first 16 points to keep them in the game early and then fueled their big comeback late. Winning on the road in conference is almost always a challenge and the Maryland win over Carolina illustrates how tough is Duke's remaining schedule. We are going to have to bring our A Game every game the rest of the season. Maryland and VT are going to go all out to protect their home court.

NashvilleDevil
02-21-2009, 06:22 PM
I believe you mean 2nd:D

No it's the 3rd in Maryland history but he is the 2nd player to have a triple double, Derek Lewis did it twice in '87

DukeCO2009
02-21-2009, 06:46 PM
As I've said before, chapel hill's defense is bad enough that the team is very beatable if it doesn't play stellar offense. Let's not forget that the 'holes are one FSU defensive lapse and a couple bad minutes by Miami away from having five losses just like us. The ACC is tough, folks; chapel hill is by no means on a plain above everyone else like most announcers would have you think.

roywhite
02-21-2009, 06:50 PM
As I've said before, chapel hill's defense is bad enough that the team is very beatable if it doesn't play stellar offense. Let's not forget that the 'holes are one FSU defensive lapse and a couple bad minutes by Miami away from having five losses just like us. The ACC is tough, folks; chapel hill is by no means on a plain above everyone else like most announcers would have you think.

Exactly. Their perimeter defense in particular is not very good. If a good team (or even a decent team like MD) shoots reasonably well from outside, there's a chance against the Heels.

jv001
02-21-2009, 06:50 PM

It's close for me, but I had rather see Duke win. My best days or best weekends are Duke Wins and unc loses.Go Duke!

COYS
02-21-2009, 06:52 PM

Yup. Frasor missed his three threes against UMCP instead of making his three threes like he did against us. Hansbrough didn't make a crazy, fadeaway three at the end of the shot clock like he did against us. We got outplayed against UNC, but we weren't outclassed.

Also of note, Hansbrough, Ellington, and Lawson all played 34, 38, and 41 minutes respectively. Looks like Roy needs to learn how to use his bench so that his star players aren't gassed at the end of games . . . Lawson's gonna be totally worthless by the time March rolls around ;)

roywhite
02-21-2009, 06:53 PM

Schaden-"Roy"de?

beach rev
02-21-2009, 07:04 PM
For one night (and one night only), I love me some Turtle.

ncexnyc
02-21-2009, 07:06 PM
I had the game on radio coming home from work when MD got within 3, but then the holes pushed it back to 10, so I shut it off. Had I watched the end once I got home the holes probably would have won.:( Well at least I get the satisfaction of them losing.:D

JDev
02-21-2009, 07:09 PM
Vasquez was just sensational. Big shots, made some important defensive plays, and had that swagger that seems to elevate his team. I hope he got that out of his system before the Devils come to town! UM is actually 4-2 in their last six games with UNC-CH, which surprised me.

dukeman28428
02-21-2009, 07:10 PM
I love to see the Heels lose and those UNC shirts will be covered up tomorrow for sure. When they beat Duke, all I heard at church the next day was how great the Heels are but they will all go underground tomorrow. I love it!!

JDev
02-21-2009, 07:18 PM
I know Carolina went to the Final Four last year, but I think they were tougher then. The loss of Ginyard seems to be bigger than I thought. As someone else stated, they are a few possessions from a few more losses. When you watch a Carolina and then you watch a Pitt, the difference is evident. Basketball in the tourament is a little different than regular season basketball, with very few games in the upper 80's and 90's, which is where UNC probably wants to be. Teams value possessions more and dig in more on defense. UNC might be able to flip the switch when the tournament comes however.

RelativeWays
02-21-2009, 07:27 PM

Not me, I'll take a Duke win every time. Its nice when it happens but in the end I really don't give a crap if UNC wins or loses

jv001
02-21-2009, 07:29 PM
I love to see the Heels lose and those UNC shirts will be covered up tomorrow for sure. When they beat Duke, all I heard at church the next day was how great the Heels are but they will all go underground tomorrow. I love it!!

When unc wins, all I see on Sunday and Wednesday are those ugly light blue sweatshirts. They come out of the woodwork. I have a friend that does not know anything about sports, but he has fallen in love with unc and hanstravel. Just to show you how much he knows about sports; one night at church our associate pastor who's a Wake fan that Wake got upset. My friend just a serious as you can be asked me quietly "what did they get so upset over"? Since he began pulling for unc, he's not near as smart as he used to be. Go Duke!

kinghoops
02-21-2009, 07:35 PM
i cannot for the sake of me understand why zeller would come back so late in the season. it will take several weeks to get in game condition, it causes chemistry to be upset, and i dont see trading in a whole year, what he would have gotten for a medical redshirt, for a few mins a game. but it was very pleasing to watch the holes come back to the pack!!! hope we can defend the home court tomorrow nite!!

grossbus
02-21-2009, 07:41 PM
"I would like to see UNC behind Duke for a second time this season!

how do you figure that?

Oriole Way
02-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Even though I'm an Oriole fan, I am not a Maryland fan whatsoever.

With that said, I'm happy for Gary. He was annoying in the early stages of his inferiority complex when it came to Duke, but he's always worn his heart on his sleeve, and he bleeds Terrapin red, black, and gold.

I respect the fact he came back to his alma mater and resurrected their program from the dead. He's also gotten a raw deal from his athletic department, causing the loss of several talented recruits. In my opinion, fans who have called for his head have no perspective and don't remember how pathetic Maryland was before Gary. Williams deserves to coach MD until he retires on his own terms.

jv001
02-21-2009, 08:37 PM
I have seen posts on how bad the unc fans on ic are after a loss. For the first time in my life I went to that site to see for myself. I am so glad to be a Duke fan. they are blaming: frasor, hanstravel, ellington, ole roy and especially the refs. I knew their fans were bad, but not that bad. Most of them are crying for el deano to come out of retirement. I don't like md but I was glad they won today. Beat Wake, Go Duke!

moonpie23
02-21-2009, 08:42 PM
while i am loving that the turtles put the sheep down, i am CERTAIN that they will have revenge revved up as tight as they can wed night....Duke is gonna have to have a stellar game.....specially if gary has em playing like they did today..

the enemy of my enemy is my friend... today anyway...

oh, and the BEST thing about that game was that Karl Hess was on the floor and the officials have DEFINITELY come to the end of their romance with Hans-Fest....

geraldsneighbor
02-21-2009, 08:44 PM
Gracias Greives!

roywhite
02-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Great to see the Terps having such success against the Heels. Maybe the Terps and their fans can transfer their "thing" (obsession, envy?, anger) concerning the Blue Devils to the TarHeels.

I'd even be willing to give up our "cherished" rival designation with the Terps that mandates 2x games every year and play them as often as we play most other ACC teams.

For a natural rival, I'd much rather see us play the Wolfpack twice a year.

SilkyJ
02-21-2009, 09:17 PM
For a natural rival, I'd much rather see us play the Wolfpack twice a year.

Totally agree, and throw wake in with that. Thats tobacco road.

I think this just shows that there is just not a huge gap between any team right now, and helps explain some of our losses too. Its a long season for any team, and playing on the road is always hard. And maryland has beaten some teams this year: mich st, miami and va tech. Not a great resume but clearly they have talent. Still, they definitely need one more big win or maybe reel off two in the ACC tourney to get into the dance.

miramar
02-21-2009, 09:24 PM
I take back all those terrible things I said about Greives. I mean, I take back all the things I said about Greivis period, since everything I have said up to now was terrible.

Greivis es excelente!

SMO
02-21-2009, 09:29 PM
Vasquez was just sensational. Big shots, made some important defensive plays, and had that swagger that seems to elevate his team. I hope he got that out of his system before the Devils come to town! UM is actually 4-2 in their last six games with UNC-CH, which surprised me.

Vazquez also had 3 blocks - 3 blocks for a guard! - plus 2 steals in his 44 minutes. He must be tired after his 44 minutes played :p

Let's hope for an emotional letdown when Duke visits later this week.

SMO
02-21-2009, 09:31 PM
I have seen posts on how bad the unc fans on ic are after a loss. For the first time in my life I went to that site to see for myself. I am so glad to be a Duke fan. they are blaming: frasor, hanstravel, ellington, ole roy and especially the refs. I knew their fans were bad, but not that bad. Most of them are crying for el deano to come out of retirement. I don't like md but I was glad they won today. Beat Wake, Go Duke!

Glad to see other fans also are tempted to live in the past when disappointed (i.e. we need a Boozer, Brand, Sheldon, JWill).

DukeFencer
02-21-2009, 10:17 PM
I had the game on radio coming home from work when MD got within 3, but then the holes pushed it back to 10, so I shut it off. Had I watched the end once I got home the holes probably would have won.:( Well at least I get the satisfaction of them losing.:D

Same here - Carolina rarely loses when I watch, so it took a lot of self-restraint not to turn the TV on when I saw they were only down 9. I guess it was also self-motivated - I hate that feeling of watching a whole game thinking there's a chance for them to lose, only to be crushed at the end.

Cameron
02-21-2009, 11:06 PM
First and foremost, I want to say that anytime Carolina loses I feel like I've just been pumped with fentynal. In terms of pure euphoria level, I absolutely am more jacked for Carolina losses (during good Heel seasons) than I am when Duke wins. Obviously I am happier when Duke wins, but, for excitement's sake, the rush I feel when Carolina goes down is unmatched. I was living and dying with every Maryland shot today. With each and every three, I pranced about Reggie Miller style in the same straight line out from the couch, right back to it, ready to sit quiet, and act as if Carolina was too good to lose as Lawson had the ball.

At one point, right before overtime, I was kneeled down like K and Wojo during those Carolina highlight montages, slapping the carpet. I wanted this game so bad today, probably as much as any Maryland fan watching. I would bet even more. And to see Tyler Hansbrough limited to 11 points? Heaven, baby. Heaven. The beating he took all night, with no calls in sight, was INCREDIBLE.

Secondly, I have become a fan of Vasquez. After his performance today and his incredibly humble post game interview, I must say, I actually found myself liking the kid. He really did seem sincere. Now I know he only mentioned how it's K's house because of the *** whooping he and his team received last month, but whatever. I'll let bygones be bygones. He's learned his lesson. I'll strongly dislike him Wednesday, sure, but still I'll respect him.

And, lastly, I felt really good for Gary Williams today. After all the heat he's taken lately, this was a huge win for him. He deserved it.

moonpie23
02-22-2009, 12:29 AM
First and foremost, I want to say that anytime Carolina loses I feel like I've just been pumped with fentynal. In terms of pure euphoria level, I absolutely am more jacked for Carolina losses (during good Heel seasons) than I am when Duke wins. Obviously I am happier when Duke wins, but, for excitement's sake, the rush I feel when Carolina goes down is unmatched. I was living and dying with every Maryland shot today. With each and every three, I pranced about Reggie Miller style in the same straight line out from the couch, right back to it, ready to sit quiet, and act as if Carolina was too good to lose as Lawson had the ball.

At one point, right before overtime, I was kneeled down like K and Wojo during those Carolina highlight montages, slapping the carpet. I wanted this game so bad today, probably as much as any Maryland fan watching. I would bet even more. And to see Tyler Hansbrough limited to 11 points? Heaven, baby. Heaven. The beating he took all night, with no calls in sight, was INCREDIBLE.

we should prolly get some coffee or lunch or go to a game together... I'm the exact same way.....i don't watch the holes' games much because, frankly, i can't stand to see them win.. So i keep up with the score on my iphone with an app called SPORTACULAR....it updates every 30o secs....

when i saw MD closing, with about 2 min to go, i had to turn it on...

that...... (and wake, AND BC) wasssssssssss AWESOME!!!!

looks like you enjoy imus too..

GTHCGTH

mgtr
02-22-2009, 01:06 AM
What a week. UNC, UConn, and Oklahoma all lose, thus vaulting Pitt into number 1. Who would have figured? We just have to win a little scuffle with Wake, and then we are back in the hunt. Should be very interesting to see the rankings next week. They are starting to actually mean something now.
Certainly hope that the OU kid turns out to be all right.

godukecom
02-22-2009, 01:10 AM
Ill admit to kneeling down and screaming at the tv "foul those ******'s out!" when they showed that TH and Green had 4 fouls. The sheer joy of watching unx lose today... priceless :)

WojoSay?
02-22-2009, 01:19 AM
when Vascole had that wide open 3 look I told my wife..."that better fall'

then...

"BOOM"

nothing better than firing an 82 on the course then coming home to the ending of the twerps carolina game.

bjornolf
02-22-2009, 06:57 AM
Wow, if this doesn't tell you that the terps aren't REALLY a rival, nothing will. If the roles were reversed and a loss to MD would be one of the last nails in the heels' tourney coffin and MD was definitely in the tourney no matter what, we'd all be pulling for MD to put them out of the tourney. Interesting.

I have to admit that I'm a closet Maryland fan. My fandom has taken some serious hits in the last few years with the hooliganism and vitriol I've seen coming out of College Park, but I grew up with close friends who were Maryland fans with Maryland alum parents, and they were and still are very pleasant. I took several summer school classes at Maryland when I was at Duke, and despite wearing a duke shirt most days, I seldom took any flack at all. In fact, a few of my classes had several other Dukies I knew in them. Anyway, I still pull for the Terps when they're not playing us and when they're not being flaming a**h***s about it, which is unfortunately more and more rare these days.

Anyway, I just thought all the kind words were very interesting, from a "rivalry" standpoint. I couldn't see us doing the same for UNC under any circumstances. I certainly wouldn't.

jpfrizzle
02-22-2009, 09:53 AM
the University 0f Nobody Cares speaks from the heart in this warm, but moving thread. http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=3946663&p=11 Thought you might want to give it a good read.

*footnote*
i'm happy the `Heels lost!! :D

gw67
02-22-2009, 10:10 AM
As several in this thread have noted, Vasquez played a whale of a game. Not only did he play 44 minutes, get a triple double, get steals and block shots, and make crucial shots at the end of a very big game for the Terps but, oh by the way, he guarded one of the top offensive players in the country for most of the game and made him earn his points.

Mike Wise had a nice column in the Post this morning that I didn't see linked:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/21/AR2009022101832.html?sub=AR

gw67

Reisen
02-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Just thought I'd mention (not sure if this was already posted) that despite Vasquez' game (including, evidently, Maryland's first 16 points???), he was booed at least twice during the game while Maryland was down big. Don't remember offhand exactly what times during the broadcast, but I'll check TIVO.

Amazing. Maryland fans never cease to amaze me. They make Eagles fans look good...

mcdukie
02-22-2009, 02:06 PM
This is the first time I went to a Carolina message board, just to see their reaction. I went to the Rivals one, is their another? Anyway, they are bad fans!!! They cursed the players, said they were the most overrated team in Carolina history. I Love It!! I hope we can get the W tonite. I also hope we get a letup from MD on Wednesday. I live in MD and tell people like Gary or not, he is a fighter. Lets go Dukies!

Cameron
02-23-2009, 12:09 AM
moonpie:

That's funny how we have the same Carolina rituals. I could talk Carolina hate over Starbucks or Blue Moon any day of the week, especially after a classic like Maryland yesterday. Couple that with tonight and this has been one outstanding weekend. And Tyler only had 11! I want him to fail so bad in the NCAAs, to the point of sadness and despair, that I almost feel like a pitiful human being. Oh well:)

And, yes, I enjoyed Imus very much when he was on MSNBC's Imus in the Morning. Haven't listened to him too much lately now that he's purely on XM or Satellite, however.