PDA

View Full Version : Charting Duke vs. St. John's

Jumbo
02-21-2009, 12:54 AM
Well, considering we saw yet another new starting lineup -- and this one had a major twist -- we were bound to get some interesting plus/minus material to chew on. Sure enough, there are more than a few things worthy of note:
-Moving Scheyer to the point worked. Duke was +11 when he was in the game without either Paulus or Smith, but -4 otherwise.
-With Singler in foul trouble and McClure sick, G was critical filling in a bit at the 4. And Duke was outscored by six points when he was off the floor.
-The addition of Williams into the mix allowed Duke to play a small lineup similar to last year's version with DeMarcus Nelson. The difference is, Smith is a bigger, more athletic defender than Paulus. So, Duke can hold its own -- even inside -- with a group of Smith-Scheyer-Williams-Henderson-Singler. That said, it will be interesting to see if we go with that group as often when McClure is back.
-Nolan is still struggling. His -4 +/- was one of the more disappointing results.
-Plumlee made an impact as well, although he has to stop fouling so often.

Let's see how many of these different groupings continue when McClure comes back. Anyway, on to the numbers ...

Individuals
Gerald Henderson 74-61 (+13)
Kyle Singler 62-53 (+9)
Miles Plumlee 14-9 (+5)
Greg Paulus 10-6 (+4)
Jon Scheyer 68-65 (+3)
Elliot Williams 58-55 (+3)
Lance Thomas 45-42 (+3)
Brian Zoubek 7-6 (+1)
Martynas Pocius 0-2 (-2)
Nolan Smith 42-46 (-4)

Per 40 Minutes
Greg Paulus +32
Miles Plumlee +25
Gerald Henderson +14.1
Kyle Singler +12
Brian Zoubek +10
Lance Thomas +4.6
Elliot Williams +3.9
Jon Scheyer +3.2
Nolan Smith -7.6
Martynas Pocius -80

Lineups
Scheyer-Williams-Henderson-Singler-Plumlee 9-2 (+7)
Scheyer-Williams-Henderson-Singler-Thomas (x7) 19-16 (+3)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Zoubek 3-0 (+3)
Paulus-Smith-Henderson-Singler-Plumlee 3-0 (+3)
Paulus-Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Thomas 3-1 (+2)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas (x2) 7-6 (+1)
Smith-Williams-Henderson-Singler-Thomas 5-4 (+1)
Scheyer-Williams-Henderson-Thomas-Zoubek 1-0 (+1)
Scheyer-Williams-Henderson-Singler-Zoubek 3-3 (0)
Paulus-Scheyer-Williams-Henderson-Thomas 2-2 (0)
Smith-Scheyer-Williams-Henderson-Thomas (x4) 8-9 (-1)
Paulus-Smith-Scheyer-Singler-Plumlee 2-3 (-1)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Plumlee 0-2 (-2)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Thomas-Plumlee 0-2 (-2)
Smith-Scheyer-Pocius-Williams-Thomas 0-2 (-2)
Smith-Scheyer-Williams-Henderson-Singler (x4) 11-14 (-3)
Smith-Scheyer-Williams-Singler-Zoubek 0-3 (-3)

Bob Green
02-21-2009, 02:45 AM
It will be interesting to look back at these numbers at the end of the regular season. The question in my mind is whether the shake-up represents a watershed moment in the 2009 season or simply a one game phenomenon against a non-conference opponent. If Elliot Williams continues to start and play 20 plus minutes per game, the St. John's game numbers will become a bench mark to compare future performance against.

ACCBBallFan
02-21-2009, 04:59 AM
In the OP, you said Smith but I think you meant to say Elliott Williams.

Versus Wake, I would hope coach K reverts to using Zoubek until both MacFarland and Zoubek are in quick foul trouble. Neither Lance nor Dave are big enough to stop Chas MacFarland, and Wake will crush a small ball lineup.

Elliott and G will have to use their exceptional athleticism to limit Wake's reboundig margin after the two 7 footers are on the bench.

It will also be interesting to see if Bobby Knight was right that EWill can guard Teague effectively.

Jumbo
02-21-2009, 07:49 AM
In the OP, you said Smith but I think you meant to say Elliott Williams.

No, I meant Smith, as opposed to Paulus. Last year Duke went with Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Henderson-Singler a lot. Now, when Duke goes small, Williams takes on Nelson's role. The difference is that Smith is at the point, and he helps a lot more inside than Paulus.

jv001
02-21-2009, 12:01 PM
No, I meant Smith, as opposed to Paulus. Last year Duke went with Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Henderson-Singler a lot. Now, when Duke goes small, Williams takes on Nelson's role. The difference is that Smith is at the point, and he helps a lot more inside than Paulus.

Nolan is still key to our chances not only against Wake, but for the remainder of the year. With Nolan playing like he's capable of and Elliot playing as he did against St. Johns, we are so more athletic and really should be a pretty good rebounding team. We are able to get to rebounds with our speed. Thanks as always for your work. Go Duke!

ACCBBallFan
02-22-2009, 12:17 AM
No, I meant Smith, as opposed to Paulus. Last year Duke went with Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Henderson-Singler a lot. Now, when Duke goes small, Williams takes on Nelson's role. The difference is that Smith is at the point, and he helps a lot more inside than Paulus.In the St John's game lineup though, neither Smith nor Paulus are in the lineup. Scheyer is the nominal PG and EWill and G the wing forwards with Singler at SF and Lance/Dave/Miles/Z are the post defender slot.

In true small ball with Singler the only big, that is when Nolan is the quicker defender. That lineup is very similar to what Marquette and VCU and others beat Duke with in recent seasons.

However IMO it is preferable to rotate bigs depending on matchups with Zoubek/Miles against beefy centers like MacFarland/Hansbrough and Lance/Dave against guys like Monroe/Sims.

Jumbo
02-22-2009, 10:06 AM
In the St John's game lineup though, neither Smith nor Paulus are in the lineup. Scheyer is the nominal PG and EWill and G the wing forwards with Singler at SF and Lance/Dave/Miles/Z are the post defender slot.

In true small ball with Singler the only big, that is when Nolan is the quicker defender. That lineup is very similar to what Marquette and VCU and others beat Duke with in recent seasons.

However IMO it is preferable to rotate bigs depending on matchups with Zoubek/Miles against beefy centers like MacFarland/Hansbrough and Lance/Dave against guys like Monroe/Sims.

I'm talking about this lineup: Smith-Scheyer-Williams-Henderson-Singler (x4) 11-14 (-3). We went with it a lot. There was also this one: Smith-Scheyer-Williams-Henderson-Thomas (x4) 8-9 (-1).

All clear?