PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke-Wake Forest Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

quickgtp
02-20-2009, 12:40 PM
What do you think will be the line-up for the Wake game? I really like this line-up:

Scheyer
Williams
Henderson
Singler
Plumlee

Mods, I don't know if this should me moved into the Wake pre-game thread if/when it's created?

CDu
02-20-2009, 12:49 PM
What do you think will be the line-up for the Wake game? I really like this line-up:

Scheyer
Williams
Henderson
Singler
Plumlee

Mods, I don't know if this should me moved into the Wake pre-game thread if/when it's created?

I suspect Thomas will start alongside Singler. He's played well lately, giving no reason to be removed from the lineup. That said, I do think we'll see a reasonable amount of Plumlee time in that game.

As for the backcourt spot, I think Williams played well enough to get a second look. That said, I could see Coach K going with Smith, given that Smith did a solid job in the first game against the Wake guards (with a big tip of the cap to McClure as well).

If I had to guess, I'd say we see the St John's starting five again (Scheyer, Williams, Henderson, Singler, Thomas). But, you never know with Coach K.

quickgtp
02-20-2009, 12:54 PM
I bet Thomas will start, I just worry that Wake's size will really give us a hard time without either Zoub or Plumlee in there.....

pfrduke
02-20-2009, 01:05 PM
I suspect Thomas will start alongside Singler. He's played well lately, giving no reason to be removed from the lineup. That said, I do think we'll see a reasonable amount of Plumlee time in that game.

As for the backcourt spot, I think Williams played well enough to get a second look. That said, I could see Coach K going with Smith, given that Smith did a solid job in the first game against the Wake guards (with a big tip of the cap to McClure as well).

If I had to guess, I'd say we see the St John's starting five again (Scheyer, Williams, Henderson, Singler, Thomas). But, you never know with Coach K.

As usual, who we start will be less important than who finishes, and who plays the most.

If K feels comfortable with Scheyer at the point, I think we may see a healthy dose of bigger lineups - Scheyer, Henderson, McClure, Singler, and Thomas. I would not expect too many minutes where Singler or McClure is the biggest player on the court. (Although, that said, we were +8 last time with Singler as the 5).

I think Williams played well enough to earn another go in the starting lineup, but I doubt he'll be getting 30 minutes again.

CDu
02-20-2009, 01:07 PM
I bet Thomas will start, I just worry that Wake's size will really give us a hard time without either Zoub or Plumlee in there.....

That may be the case. Although I will say that, despite Wake's size, they aren't actually a very good team inside. They can be outrebounded (we outrebounded them) and are prone to fouls. There are pluses and minuses to going big and going small(er).

I think, when Thomas's head is on straight, he's a better fit against Wake than the other two (until Plumlee shows he can stay out of foul trouble.

geraldsneighbor
02-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Plumlee played well in the first Wake game so I expect to see him play.

BlueintheFace
02-20-2009, 01:18 PM
I would be very surprised if LT didn't start.

mgtr
02-20-2009, 01:27 PM
I think there would have to be a compelling reason to change from the SJ starting lineup.

COYS
02-20-2009, 02:07 PM
I would be very surprised if LT didn't start.

I would, too. He's played really hard over the past five games when others were struggling. Last night was another good game for him. He's really developed an awareness on the offensive half of the court over the past few games. He knows he doesn't have to score too much to help the team, but he picks his spots and is making quick, controlled moves to the hoop. It seems like this is a sign of good things to come.

jv001
02-20-2009, 02:20 PM

Scheyer
Williams
Henderson
Singler
Plumlee

With the way Lance has been playing, I would say he starts, but I think we will see Miles in the lineup as well. We need rebounding against Wake. Lance is not the best rebounder on the team but he's been playing very well. I would say that Nolan comes in for Williams and Greg for Jon(not many mins). I'm glad Coach K has to make these decisions and not me. I would really mess it up. Go Duke!

Jeffrey
02-20-2009, 02:27 PM
What do you think will be the line-up for the Wake game?

Starting line-up: Smith, Scheyer, Henderson, Singler, Thomas.

loran16
02-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Thomas has to start. There's no question. My beef with Lance has always been is that he seems out of position. He's not a good enough shooter really to be a 3, but he's too small for the 4/5. He's essentially a 3.5, the speed and size of a small forward without quite the shot required to be a topnotch 3.

We need that here vs Wake....Zoo has shown himself to be unable to handle faster bigs. Now Zoo can probably handle Mcfarland, but McFarland fouls out early and often so he's not as big a threat as aminu and Johnson....and he can't guard them. I don't trust Miles yet to guard them and to keep up, so that leaves Lance, who DOES have the speed. He just needs the bulk/power to muscle them back.

It'll be a tough matchup. Still, I worry more about Teague these days...how will we handle the tough guard?

Projected 5:
Nolan Smith
Jon Scheyer
Gerald Henderson
Kyle Singler
Lance Thomas.

I can't imagine Elliot being put as the starter for this game, though i wouldn't be surprised to see a healthy dose of him. Nolan's D will be necessary though. We gotta get back to our hardcore strength, Our D. I know Nolan has been weak of late, but he has to improve NOW or else. Can't avoid using him in these tough games.

InSpades
02-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Plumlee can't start until he learns not to foul so much. The only reason for him to start is he *may* be better at jumping tip-off than Gerald (can't recall who jumped when they both started). He needs to come off the bench so he can give other players a chance to rest. That way if he gets 2 quick fouls atleast he managed to buy us some time to get Lance back in there a little bit fresher.

I bet we will see the same starting lineup back out there. The only other possibilities are McClure instead of Williams (doubtful due to McClure's illness and Williams having his best game yet) or Smith over Williams (though I think he'll give Williams the 1st shot at guarding Teague).

Hancock 4 Duke
02-20-2009, 03:20 PM
This time, we're playing at cameron, and we're ready to fight to the end. What wil we think up this time??

Hancock 4 Duke
02-20-2009, 03:27 PM

Scheyer
Williams
Henderson
Singler
Plumlee

I agree with everything exept for PLumlee. I do think he should play if not the same but more time than Zoubek. Though Thimas has added alot lately to the team. So it should be-

Scheyer
Williams
Henderson
Singler
Thomas

SilkyJ
02-20-2009, 03:46 PM
If mcclure is feeling better I'd like to go semi-big with Scheyer, Hendo, Mcclure, Singler, Thomas.

Henderson is very athletic, but playing him at the 3 means he has to guard Aminu, and thats a tall order even for him. I like McClure against Aminu on defense. Of course the problem here becomes who guards Teague.

When we played Wake the first time I was making a similar argument but with Nolan starting at PG and Scheyer coming off the bench. That makes more sense if Nolan is playing well, but given that he's struggling a bit I doubt we'll see the combination I am hoping for.

Sixthman
02-20-2009, 05:42 PM
There is nothing wrong with this team that a win against a quality opponent like Wake won't cure. It's gut check time. I have an opinion about what is working for the team and what isn't and how best to beat Wake. However, I am clueless as to where we might go next if we lose. As I said, it's gut check time. I appreciate and respect everyone's enthusiasm for looking at all the angles and hoping for particular players to step up, get more playing time, etc . . . Please do not take this as a suggestion that discussion end or that it isn't interesting. That having been said, no one posting here wants to win more than the team itself and, imo, no one knows more about how to win than the coaches.

Bob Green
02-20-2009, 07:26 PM
If mcclure is feeling better I'd like to go semi-big with Scheyer, Hendo, Mcclure, Singler, Thomas.

Playing McClure as the small forward is tough on the offense. Dave is not an efficient ball handler. I say go with the same five who started against St. John's: Scheyer, Williams, Henderson, Singler, and Thomas. Williams has earned the opportunity to start again with his performance against the Red Storm.

Sixthman
02-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Playing McClure as the small forward is tough on the offense. Dave is not an efficient ball handler. I say go with the same five who started against St. John's: Scheyer, Williams, Henderson, Singler, and Thomas. Williams has earned the opportunity to start again with his performance against the Red Storm.

Could not agree more that Williams should start. His confidence needs to build, as his particular skills could be the missing piece that makes everybody else even better.

shoutingncu
02-20-2009, 07:40 PM
There is nothing wrong with this team that a win against a quality opponent like Wake won't cure.

To play a little Blue Devil's advocate, Wake has not played very well on the road (more evidence of the youthful play that almost gave Duke the victory in the first place). So I'm not sure a home win against them says that much about Duke. A loss certainly would continue to raise questions, but I'm not sure that a win answers those questions.

In fact, I can envision Duke finishing the regular season 4 -1. I'm certainly not forgetting the lessons of Michigan, but I do think the talent of Duke, regardless of who's starting, should beat Maryland and Virginia Tech, even on the road. FSU will be a pretty good test, and obviously UNC allows the opportunity for an elite win.

But those teams, UNC aside, are of the caliber of team Duke would face in the first weekend of the tournament. VT and Maryland, in fact, likely won't be playing that first weekend.

I think the real test for Duke's ceiling is how they fare in the ACC Tourney, facing the likes of Clemson, WF (neutral court) and/or UNC. Win a couple of those, and I'd say the team has righted the ship.

Bob Green
02-20-2009, 07:44 PM
To play a little Blue Devil's advocate, Wake has not played very well on the road (more evidence of the youthful play that almost gave Duke the victory in the first place). So I'm not sure a home win against them says that much about Duke. A loss certainly would continue to raise questions, but I'm not sure that a win answers those questions.

It can't be both ways. If a loss says something, then a win has to say something. Wake Forest is a Top 10 team and a victory over them will say plenty.

DukieInBrasil
02-20-2009, 07:53 PM
not a very encouraging win against SJs, though they are a bit better this year than recently.
Nolan and Greg have both played so poorly lately that i donīt think either of them deserve to start, so leave Jon at the PG and EWill as the 2guard. So it would be, Gerald, Kyle, Jon, EWill and LT for my starting roster. Z has also played himself out of contention for serious playing time and Plumlee is a good choice for a pick-up off the bench.
Letīs go Duke, we need this win at home!!!

sweetchiba51
02-20-2009, 08:47 PM
Yea, after watching the St. Johns game Im not really sure we will be able to hang with Wake. We just look slow out there compared to everyone else. I hope the boys prove me wrong....Go Duke!!

Id go with:

Scheyer
Williams
Henderson
Thomas
Singler

jv001
02-20-2009, 09:42 PM

One thing that I have been thinking about who guards Smith and Teague when they are in the lineup at the same time? I know only one can have the ball at a time, but they are both so quick that I believe Williams and Smith will see some action together. I agree with your starting lineup however. Go Duke!

Highlander
02-20-2009, 09:46 PM
There is nothing wrong with this team that a win against a quality opponent like Wake won't cure. It's gut check time. I have an opinion about what is working for the team and what isn't and how best to beat Wake. However, I am clueless as to where we might go next if we lose. As I said, it's gut check time. I appreciate and respect everyone's enthusiasm for looking at all the angles and hoping for particular players to step up, get more playing time, etc . . . Please do not take this as a suggestion that discussion end or that it isn't interesting. That having been said, no one posting here wants to win more than the team itself and, imo, no one knows more about how to win than the coaches.

I agree. This is Duke's best remaining chance of the regular season to get a signature win against a top 10 team. Wake has not played well on the road, and Duke nearly took them in WS a month ago. Lose and Duke will continue to skid. Win, and Duke will have gained some confidence and picked up a strong win to help their conference and NCAA seeding. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "must win," but a loss would end any discussions in my mind that we are a legitimate 2 seed in the tourney.

It's time to bring it boys.

wallyman
02-20-2009, 10:48 PM
i agree the win against a lousy st. john's team doesn't tell much and the play -- especially the collapse at the end -- doesn't provide a whole lot to be overly optimistic about. i'm hoping no news is good news on singler's ankle. anyone know anything?

go duke. a win sunday would be huge. a loss sunday would be huge.

roywhite
02-20-2009, 11:22 PM
i agree the win against a lousy st. john's team doesn't tell much and the play -- especially the collapse at the end -- doesn't provide a whole lot to be overly optimistic about. i'm hoping no news is good news on singler's ankle. anyone know anything?

go duke. a win sunday would be huge. a loss sunday would be huge.

"lousy st. john's team"? "collapse at the end"?

I must have watched a different game. I saw a St. John's team that really, really wanted this game; they were on national television, at home, and trying to get a signature win. They shot well and played hard. And Duke didn't finish well, but it was hardly a collapse.

Well, it was a win and on to the Wake game. I'll agree that this is an important game; I think we'll see a good Duke team Sunday, and have an excellent chance to win the game. Some of the lineup changes will pay dividends.

BD80
02-20-2009, 11:29 PM
I watched the game about 3 times. Smith's defense was very good in the last game... as was Scheyer's and Williams'. If you're going to make blanket negative comments, at least back it up with something.

Which game did you watch? Against SJ, Nolan often looked lost on defense. During the game I frequently freeze the action or replay portions to study breakdowns. I think Nolan is a very talented player, and is learning, but our switching and helping defense is very difficult to learn.

What bothered me the most were the several occasions when Nolan did not sprint back on defense and a SJ player beat us down the floor. Nolan may have been close to his man, but if he had hustled more he would have been able to cut off penetration before SJ scored on a layup.

It would be fun to see Nolan and EWill on the floor together more often. I think they could be very effective together in a full court press. They are both extremely talented and are learning from the best coach in the business. I think you will see each of them having stretches of brilliant and exciting play.

FireOgilvie
02-20-2009, 11:42 PM
Which game did you watch? Against SJ, Nolan often looked lost on defense. During the game I frequently freeze the action or replay portions to study breakdowns. I think Nolan is a very talented player, and is learning, but our switching and helping defense is very difficult to learn.

What bothered me the most were the several occasions when Nolan did not sprint back on defense and a SJ player beat us down the floor. Nolan may have been close to his man, but if he had hustled more he would have been able to cut off penetration before SJ scored on a layup.

It would be fun to see Nolan and EWill on the floor together more often. I think they could be very effective together in a full court press. They are both extremely talented and are learning from the best coach in the business. I think you will see each of them having stretches of brilliant and exciting play.

Hm... I do the same thing. I agree about hustling back on defense, especially on one play in particular. I don't think his defense was PERFECT, but he was never beaten off-the-dribble and he definitely wasn't a "non-factor" like the poster I was referring to said. I still think he was "very good." Singler was beaten 10+ times for multiple points, but no one seems to notice his defense. I think 90 percent of people on this board focus almost solely on what people do on offense and ignore defense. I'm glad that you do not fit into that category.

gwwilburn
02-21-2009, 01:40 AM
We need Dave back. Without him, its going to be really tough to win. Any word on his illness? Also something people are forgetting about St. Johns is Duke is not the first good team they have played. UConn, Pitt, Marquette, they all beat St. Johns better than Duke did earlier in the season, but I think Duke just needed a W and was willing to let off in the last part of the second half. No, I am by no means encouraged by the collapse at the end, but the W helps.

captmojo
02-21-2009, 01:10 PM
In order to beat Wake, you must keep Teague on the perimeter. This same story applies for lawson and the holes.

Son of, made and interesting observation of Teague during the last game. The quickness of his shot is achieved due to the fact that his release point is not at the apex of the jump. He releases the ball on the way up. McClure would be the better defender on him for this reason because of his height and speed. Yet still, the fact remains, he must be limited to an outside player.

JDev
02-21-2009, 02:29 PM
There has been ample talk since Wed. about the line-up changes and the benefits. They did work well against SJ, but I think the best team that this Duke team can be is with Nolan playing at his early season form. He was Duke's fourth double figure scorer and spear-headed a defense that was playing outstanding. His decline has corresponded to Duke's struggles as much as anything. I have no idea how to get him back to that frame of mind, or even if he will at this point, which makes the new line-up changes all the more important. All I know is that the best Duke has looked all year was when he was playing well. For Duke's ceiling to rise as much as possible, he has to get back on track. That being said, if Elliot continues to play well against quality competition, he can bring the bulk of the things that make Nolan so important (on-ball defense, ability to slash and get to the rim, additional outside shooter). Seeing how those things play out is just another reason tomorrow's game is very important and interesting.

CDu
02-21-2009, 03:21 PM
It can't be both ways. If a loss says something, then a win has to say something. Wake Forest is a Top 10 team and a victory over them will say plenty.

Actually, it CAN be both ways. If you lose to a bad team, it raises questions. Conversely, beating a bad team doesn't necessarily answer those questions.

Now, Wake is not a bad team, but they have appeared to be bad on the road this year. That was, I think the previous poster's point: losing to Wake may raise questions about our inability to beat inexperienced team that struggles on the road. But beating Wake doesn't necessarily answer questions about us, due to the very fact that Wake is inexperienced and struggles on the road.

If you want to argue that Wake is still solid on the road (and that a win would definitely mean something), then the discussion would be whether a loss would mean something. It's actually harder for a loss to mean something AND a win to mean something. If you believe Wake is legit, then a win answers questions and a loss doesn't doesn't necessarily raise questions. If you believe Wake is a poor road team, then a loss raises questions and a win doesn't necessarily answer questions.

Bluedevilsfanforever
02-21-2009, 03:40 PM
What channel is the game going to be on? I am looking for tomorrow night and ESPN has the BOREFEST NBA games on tmw night.:mad:

OZZIE4DUKE
02-21-2009, 03:50 PM
What channel is the game going to be on? I am looking for tomorrow night and ESPN has the BOREFEST NBA games on tmw night.:mad:
7:45 E.S.T. FSN on your cable or satellite system.

Bob Green
02-21-2009, 03:54 PM
Here is a radio link in case anyone needs it. The game is being shown tape delayed in Japan so I'll be listening to the game on the radio live and watching later.

http://www.wsfl.com/

Bluedevilsfanforever
02-21-2009, 03:55 PM
7:45 E.S.T. FSN on your cable or satellite system.

WOOHOO thank you Ozzie. I am happy again. :D. Going to set the timer on the sat for it to flip over to FSN tomorrow night.

Bob Green
02-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Actually, it CAN be both ways. If you lose to a bad team, it raises questions. Conversely, beating a bad team doesn't necessarily answer those questions.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. Good teams are suppose to beat bad teams so beating a bad team does say something. It says, "We are focused and taking care of business." If Wake Forest is a bad road team, it is still important for Duke to take care of business in Cameron.

RelativeWays
02-21-2009, 07:40 PM
UNC's loss to UMD makes this game take on new importance, as we'll be able to get closer to the Holes and first place. Simply a win tomorrow, regardless if its a blowout or a last second prayer, could make the beginning of next week start with renewed vigor and hope. In all honesty, this could be a momentum builder for how we finish and for the overall health of the team, could be more important than the last game against the holes.

HDB
02-21-2009, 09:36 PM
I'd say this is as close to a "must win" game as Duke could have prior to the one and done format it March. The outcome of this game just has so many implications: seeding for ACC tourney, inside track for Greensboro pod, and most importantly it has the potential to restore the swagger for Duke. Lose this and it really could be all downhill from now until the tourney. This is a must.

SMO
02-21-2009, 09:41 PM
I'd say this is as close to a "must win" game as Duke could have prior to the one and done format it March. The outcome of this game just has so many implications: seeding for ACC tourney, inside track for Greensboro pod, and most importantly it has the potential to restore the swagger for Duke. Lose this and it really could be all downhill from now until the tourney. This is a must.

I think this overdoes it a bit. The same could be said about any game the rest of the season except, perhaps, for UNC. Even at UNC, if Duke is coming off a loss that might fit the loose definition of a "must win" as well.

HDB
02-21-2009, 09:57 PM
I think this overdoes it a bit. The same could be said about any game the rest of the season except, perhaps, for UNC. Even at UNC, if Duke is coming off a loss that might fit the loose definition of a "must win" as well.

I really think we need a boost of confidence that would come with beating a high caliber opponent for the tough homestretch. Looking back on our schedule, we really don't have a marquee win right now -- this would give us that. Plus, it's a home game. I don't think calling this one a regular season must game is an understatement at all.

Clearly a win at the Dean Dome would give us everything I mention above, but I don't see that as a realistic possibility.

SMO
02-21-2009, 10:05 PM
I really think we need a boost of confidence that would come with beating a high caliber opponent for the tough homestretch. Looking back on our schedule, we really don't have a marquee win right now -- this would give us that. Plus, it's a home game. I don't think calling this one a regular season must game is an understatement at all.

Clearly a win at the Dean Dome would give us everything I mention above, but I don't see that as a realistic possibility.

From a fan's perspective maybe...but I'd never put that kind of pressure on myself as a player or coach. It's an important regular season home game, but if you lose does that mean the season is virtually over? No way! As for a win at the Ding Dong, I don't think that's unrealistic at all given what we saw at Maryland today.

One thing to keep in mind is that the better a team is, the harder it is to have a marquee win. At Purdue, neutural court vs. Xavier, at FSU - those are all good wins. If those don't count, Duke really has only 3-4 shots at a marquee win and all of them involve UNC and WFU. Would you agree?

stals
02-21-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm in Coconut Grove, FL for business and my hotel's cable will not be carrying the FSN coverage of tomorrow's game. Does anyone know a sports bar, etc in this area where I can catch tomorrow's game? (Hopefully not overpopulated with UM undergrads.)
Thanks

HDB
02-21-2009, 10:36 PM
Based on a strict definition for must win, that can only occur in March in the one and done format. I agree that even if we lose tomorrow that there's still a chance that Duke turns it around and has a successful end to the season. However, I believe that the odds of a successful conclusion to the season go up pretty dramatically with a win tomorrow which is why I consider this game so important.

I do think it's important for Duke to have at least one win against what I'd consider to be the top 3 teams in the ACC other than Duke (UNC, Wake, and Clemson). Marquee wins are tough to come by for a reason --- you only get them against top notch competition. I don't consider the wins over Purdue, X, or FSU to be marquee --- and I understand this is highly subjective.

COYS
02-21-2009, 10:41 PM

Wait, really? Did you watch the UNC/UMCP game today? Notice that UNC's Frasor and Hanstravel went 0-3 from three point range against Maryland instead of 4-4 including a crazy fadeaway at the end of the shot clock like they did against Duke. A little bit better shooting from Duke and marginally better defense on Lawson means that we can certainly beat UNC. If UNC were undefeated and their starting five were all projected to go in the first round of the draft with three lottery picks and we had been beaten by 72 points in the first game I might understand this sentiment, but I don't understand how anyone can give up on the game at the Dump Dome now.

Win of lose tomorrow, Duke can still have a great March. Still, I'd love to see a win to give our guys and us fans a nice confidence boost.

ice-9
02-21-2009, 10:45 PM

Not sure I agree with the first part of your statement -- i.e. just ask Maryland and Morgan State -- but I completely agree that a win against Wake Forest will restore a lot of confidence.

Especially so now that Maryland is looking dangerous again on their home court and fighting for their NCAA tourney lives.

Bob Green
02-21-2009, 11:01 PM

We can beat Carolina at the Dean Dome. We did it last year. Carolina is a talented team but they have flaws. Will it be easy to beat them? No. Will we have to play a near perfect game? Yes. Carolina is beatable as Maryland proved today. With five games left in the regular season, we have the ability to close on a six game winning streak and the possibility exist we lose two or three more games. We need to bring our A Game to the court and get the job done.

JDev
02-21-2009, 11:18 PM
Wait, really? Did you watch the UNC/UMCP game today? Notice that UNC's Frasor and Hanstravel went 0-3 from three point range against Maryland instead of 4-4 including a crazy fadeaway at the end of the shot clock like they did against Duke. A little bit better shooting from Duke and marginally better defense on Lawson means that we can certainly beat UNC. If UNC were undefeated and their starting five were all projected to go in the first round of the draft with three lottery picks and we had been beaten by 72 points in the first game I might understand this sentiment, but I don't understand how anyone can give up on the game at the Dump Dome now.

Win of lose tomorrow, Duke can still have a great March. Still, I'd love to see a win to give our guys and us fans a nice confidence boost.

Agreed. Duke can beat Carolina. They aren't invincible, as today showed quite nicely. People complain about Duke's inside game, and UM beat UNC with the smallest line-up in the ACC. There is not one sure-fire lottery pick or future NBA All-Star on Carolina's team (Lawson is in the mix, but it is far from a guarantee). I know that is not necessarily a must-have for a quality college team, but it illustrates that they not quite the juggernaut some think.

loran16
02-22-2009, 12:12 AM
Can we eat carolina, yes. Will we? Hard to say yes.

Carolina tends to get sloppy and complacent at times over the last two years. Particularly on the defensive end. Now while they certainly didn't stop us defensively in the first half in the game in Cameron, they stifled us a bit in the 2nd half.

I always get the feeling Carolina ramps it up for Duke, which is why i don't think we'll beat them in the Dean Dome. Do i think we have a shot, yes....there are times when they just seem to fall apart (during this time, hansbrough, lawson and ellington seem to disappear) but they've been very good at not doing that vs Duke the last 2 times, though both were at Cameron.

...........Ah, who am i kidding, sure we'll beat them. I gotta see at least one more carolina win , even if its not here at Duke during my last year here at school. :-P

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-22-2009, 12:53 AM
I'm in Coconut Grove, FL for business and my hotel's cable will not be carrying the FSN coverage of tomorrow's game. Does anyone know a sports bar, etc in this area where I can catch tomorrow's game? (Hopefully not overpopulated with UM undergrads.)
Thanks
Ask your hotel's concierge. If no concierge, ask the staff at the desk. Many times they can answer question about local amenities.

RelativeWays
02-22-2009, 08:03 AM
Our next opponent is Wake, not UNC, BTW. We don't have to worry about the holes for 3 weeks.

UncleBill
02-22-2009, 08:34 AM
A former Duke football player has a place in the Grove called Mr. Moe's where they have a billion TVs. It's in the middle of Commodore Plaza, two small blocks southwest of Coco Walk down Main Hwy, turn left on Commodore.

bjornolf
02-22-2009, 08:43 AM
Can we eat carolina, yes.

Well, if we eat Carolina, we won't have to worry about them winning. The indigestion might be too much for us, though. ;)

captmojo
02-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Our next opponent is Wake, not UNC, BTW. We don't have to worry about the holes for 3 weeks.

Thank you.
We definitely need to get over the obsession. One game at a time.

MarkD83
02-22-2009, 09:10 AM
I believe we have entered the phase of the season that how Duke wins does not matter anymore.

Duke has 4 ACC loses as do 3 other teams. UNC has 3. We get to play UNC, Wake and FSU. In essence we are in control of our own destiny. Win these games by any means necessary and a share of first place is possible. Lose too many of these and fifth place and no bye in the first round of the ACC tournament is possible.

So all of these games are "big/must-win" games not because they will impress the NCAA selection committee, but because they could lead Duke to a championship.

slower
02-22-2009, 09:26 AM
My Time-Warner info guide listing here in Durham shows the game on FSN at 7:30PM. It says that ESPN is showing NBA games tonight.

DukeUsul
02-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Clearly Patrick Davidson needs to start. He can stay in front of Teague with one foot tide behind his back. He can actually jump higher than Aminu and can get McFarland to foul out even before he steps on the floor.

kinghoops
02-22-2009, 09:40 AM
My Time-Warner info guide listing here in Durham shows the game on FSN at 7:30PM. It says that ESPN is showing NBA games tonight.

that is correct the game is on fox sports carolinas

DukeDevilDeb
02-22-2009, 11:22 AM

Thank you for giving voice to what I've been thinking... We CAN'T win at the Dean Dome???? Where were you last year? The Carolina loss at home happened for two major reasons: we played poor defense against Lawson, and their shooting was lights out. I don't think that is a guaranteed performance at the Dean Dome... Other teams that are not as good as we are have won there... and I hope the coaches spend a lot of time looking at the tape of Maryland-UNC to see what worked against them!

Go Devils! Beat Wake AND UNC!!!!

gumbomoop
02-22-2009, 11:39 AM

I realize that others have responded to HDB's original point, generally to disagree, and that HDB has answered several responses. I'll stick with HDB's original point here, and agree with it. It strikes me that this is "as close to" a must-win as it gets, because a loss here has both major practical (5 losses) and emotional ("Oh, man.....") implications, as does a win, practical (tied for 2d, and we get FSU at home, and only a game back of the Heels) and emotional ("We're back......"). Biggest "must win" factor is it's at home, and in this league, esp. at this stage, with our horrific unbalanced schedule, we gotta win at home - gotta. After this, tough, tough matches with vitriolic-revenge-minded MD and revenge-and-desperation-fueled VT.

Gotta.

And will.

pepsiman
02-22-2009, 12:40 PM
That's correct, FOX 7:30.

JDev
02-22-2009, 12:56 PM
I think Wake will use their zone against us a lot, trying to take advantage of their NBA-sized front line, and minimize its disadvantages, like having second bigs chase Kyle and G on the perimeter. I do not think K's substitution pattern will be quite as liberal as it was against SJ, but I still expect him to utilize the bench more so than early ACC games. Just as I said before the SJ game, I would love to see Duke play faster, especially with the new line-up. They did pick up the pace a little against SJ, but they still have a gear to hit. They need to be more opportunistic after rebounding missed shots, and pushing the ball up the floor to see what is available before the D gets set. They have the personel (and I don't mean UNC fast, just more opportunistic). Their three point percentage is not great, but I think if they look for them more in a secondary break situation they will get better looks.

zaah1
02-22-2009, 02:21 PM
That's correct, FOX 7:30.

Not on in Cleveland! Boo!

JDev
02-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Not on in Cleveland! Boo!

The regional FSN's are odd. I get the Sports Pack with Direct TV, which includes the bulk of the Fox regional networks. I have to look around because inevitably the game will be blacked out on a number of the networks, despite the fact that I pay for them.

aav2aav2
02-22-2009, 05:11 PM
I only have one TV and my wife wants to watch the oscars. Is the game showing anywhere on the internet? I don't think its playing on ESPN360?

Indoor66
02-22-2009, 05:24 PM
I only have one TV and my wife wants to watch the oscars. Is the game showing anywhere on the internet? I don't think its playing on ESPN360?

What? Grounds for divorce! :eek: :D

dukeblue02
02-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Is there a big Duke alumni sportsbar in Washington, DC that everyone goes to to watch basketball games? I'm looking for a crowd of Dukies to watch the Duke/Wake Forest game tonight and would appreciate an email with a local sportsbar where everyone congregates to watch dukie wins!

Thanks,
Hiep Dao
dukeblue02@gmail.com

Bluedog
02-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Is there a big Duke alumni sportsbar in Washington, DC that everyone goes to to watch basketball games? I'm looking for a crowd of Dukies to watch the Duke/Wake Forest game tonight and would appreciate an email with a local sportsbar where everyone congregates to watch dukie wins!

Thanks,
Hiep Dao
dukeblue02@gmail.com

Buffalo Billiards in Dupont...

Newton_14
02-22-2009, 05:58 PM
Duke is favored, so lets hope the boys come out with confidence and swagger. They need to be loose in that they play to win vs not to lose, but tight, in that they are strong with the ball and value each possession.

Time to make a statement. Got some bulletin board material courtesy of Mr. Johnson, so let's hope his words come back to haunt him like they did Vazquez. Johnson basically said in an interview that he would have to be "shown" that playing in Cameron is tough for him to believe it. Sorry, no link. Caught it on the WRAL news this morning.

Let's go Duke!

dukeblue02
02-22-2009, 06:00 PM
Is that the alumni club bar that everyone goes to? I know they used to have one in crystal city, VA but that place was pretty dead with dukies the one time i went to watch a duke/carolina game.

Bluedog
02-22-2009, 06:02 PM
Is that the alumni club bar that everyone goes to? I know they used to have one in crystal city, VA but that place was pretty dead with dukies the one time i went to watch a duke/carolina game.

Yes. There's usually a good showing...Although maybe Oscar crazy people won't go...

http://www.alumniconnections.com/olc/pub/DUKE/cm_clubs/club_7.html

captmojo
02-22-2009, 06:08 PM
I'm ready for some hot Deacon meat.

ChicagoDevil
02-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Where can I watch the game on my pc? Can't seem to find a link...

Thanks for any help!

fisheyes
02-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Where can I watch the game on my pc? Can't seem to find a link...

Thanks for any help!

http://www.channelsurfing.net/

eddiehaskell
02-22-2009, 07:51 PM
ELLIOT WILLIAMS is looking like a stud!!!!!!! Keep it up Elliot!

FireOgilvie
02-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Apparently Fox Sports decided to start coverage at 8 pm instead of 7:45 here. I get to watch a post-game hockey show.

devil in chapel hill
02-22-2009, 07:56 PM
yes, WTG Elliot Williams!!

dukeballer2294
02-22-2009, 08:04 PM
SO much intensity great job so far especially by E-WIll!

devildownunder
02-22-2009, 08:05 PM
Boy, just when you think you've figured out what's going on with this team, elliot williams starts and scores 6 of the first 20 points. I give up.

sweetchiba51
02-22-2009, 08:13 PM
Love this rotation Coach K has going on! Elliot is playing great, hope this keeps up! GO DUKE!!!

NSDukeFan
02-22-2009, 08:23 PM
How much fun is this so far?

willowglen
02-22-2009, 08:31 PM
I can't help but hearken back to 30 years ago when Bender and Harrell were competing. Harrell gave Duke quickness Duke needed, and while Bender was an ACC level point guard, Harrell should have played more - couldn't understand why Foster did not play him.

Williams brings a lot of quickness and ability to put a defense on its heels.

Paulus is still a fine player. But the team has to exploit its talent.

And anyone think Henderson is as talented as Grant Hill? I do. The comparisons are apposite.

devildownunder
02-22-2009, 08:38 PM
This has got to be the hardest team to figure out, ever.

yancem
02-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Great start but you had to know that Wake would regain their composure. I'm just hoping that wore themselves out a little try to chip away at the lead. We need to come out hard to start the second half, otherwise the first 15 minutes of the game won't mean much.

captmojo
02-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Where were they a week and a half ago?

Kfanarmy
02-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Duke goes up by 22 then Wake scores 21 in what seemed like the last 4 minutes of the 1st half.

roywhite
02-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Duke goes up by 22 then Wake scores 21 in what seemed like the last 4 minutes.

What an explosion by Teague.

C'mon, Nolan, keep your head in the game; we need you on defense against Teague and Smith.

Saratoga2
02-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Is it a coincidence that Wakr Forest had their offense heat up, and Teague in particular, when Paulus was in the game? Our defense went from ferocius to missing in the last several minutes of the half. Anyone see other reasons?

jipops
02-22-2009, 08:49 PM
What an explosion by Teague.

C'mon, Nolan, keep your head in the game; we need you on defense against Teague and Smith.

That 3rd foul hurt. We definitely need Nolan in the 2nd for the futher onslaught that is coming. We were terrific at pressuring the ball the first 15 minutes but that seems to have fallen off. Wake is getting way to many high-percentage looks and they didn't have to work very hard for them to close out the half. Wake shot 60% for the half. That is simply unacceptable and there is no way we'll come out with a W if that continues.

jipops
02-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Is it a coincidence that Wakr Forest had their offense heat up, and Teague in particular, when Paulus was in the game? Our defense went from ferocius to missing in the last several minutes of the half. Anyone see other reasons?

We were forcing turnovers and getting easy buckets in transition. Once Wake started taking care of the ball we wilted a bit. Even when down 21, Wake was still shooting 50%.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
Man we certainly fell off- but Teague absolutely abused Paulus as soon as he checked into the game.

captmojo
That 3rd was very cheap!

Nittany Devil
02-22-2009, 08:52 PM
What a fun half to watch! I am a little concerned, however. Duke has built its lead by forcing turnovers and converting points off of them. That sort of turnover imbalance usually only lasts for a half, so I hope that Duke can maintain the lead when the turnovers start to even up. Hopefully Wake's shooting can cool down at the same time.

DownEastDevil
02-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Where were they a week and a half ago?

The exact same place we are now. Remember how good we were in the 1st half against unc.

captmojo
02-22-2009, 08:54 PM
The exact same place we are now. Remember how good we were in the 1st half against unc.

I tend to think that was more a case of issues not being initiated by the Devils as they are tonight. Keep Teague outside and it'll become a done deal!

sweetchiba51
02-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Ok this is getting frustrating...

jipops
02-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Go Zone K!??!??

FireOgilvie
02-22-2009, 09:07 PM
I have no idea why Coach K refuses to play our centers. Singler is getting absolutely abused down low. Lance Thomas is nowhere to be found on defense.

jv001
02-22-2009, 09:10 PM
No answer to Wake's 3 main weapons, Smith, Teague and Williams. Go Duke!

sweetchiba51
02-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else get really excited when we make a defensive stop?

jv001
02-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Maybe we can out score them. Go Duke!

kaufmjo
02-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Wow Wake is lights out shooting here. they must be shooting 85% in the second half. Need some help on d

jsimmons
02-22-2009, 09:16 PM
quit trying to take charges, start trying to block some shots.

FerryFor50
02-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Jeez... what does it take to get a foul call on the perimeter? Hendo got knocked down, then bodied all the way to the goal. Finally got the call on the shot.

sweetchiba51
02-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Wake is shooting 64%....

devildownunder
02-22-2009, 09:27 PM
have we seriously not called a single timeout in this game?

devildownunder
02-22-2009, 09:28 PM

it appears that will have to be the strategy.

DukieBoy
02-22-2009, 09:29 PM
at this rate, both teams will score 100+

jipops
02-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Someone pinch me, did we actually get a stop and score off it?

FerryFor50
02-22-2009, 09:32 PM
I am loving the extended minutes for Elliot Williams.

FerryFor50
02-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Nice shot of the classy Deacon ladies saying "horsesh*t" on national TV. :D

jv001
02-22-2009, 09:35 PM
Nice shot of the classy Deacon ladies saying "horsesh*t" on national TV. :D

She got it from ole roy. Need a few stops. Go Duke!

DukieInKansas
02-22-2009, 09:36 PM

it appears that will have to be the strategy.

I've always found this to be the key to winning. (Any game, any sport.) :D

FireOgilvie
02-22-2009, 09:36 PM
According to ESPN, we have 8 defensive rebounds and Wake has 10 offensive rebounds.

FerryFor50
02-22-2009, 09:37 PM
And Hendo just passed Collins on the scoring list... wow.

jipops
02-22-2009, 09:38 PM
We're watching one of the great all-time offensive performances in Cameron right now with G.

FerryFor50
02-22-2009, 09:38 PM
Hard to believe that tonight may be the first night Duke exceeds 100 this season.

Most they had before was 99 against UNCA.

100+ against a solid defensive team like Wake is a promising sign.

FerryFor50
02-22-2009, 09:40 PM
much better job of beating the press tonight, too.

And SCHEYER IS BACK!

FerryFor50
02-22-2009, 09:42 PM
I really don't get what a hand check is in this league.

I see it happen on both ends every time down, and Nolan Smith gets called for it on a minor tap.

RainingThrees
02-22-2009, 09:43 PM
wow Scheyer is looking like JJ. And I believe this is a big NEW career high for G 35!!!

FerryFor50
02-22-2009, 09:44 PM
So I guess you can body someone all the way down the floor but you can't touch them with your hands...

Makes sense. :rolleyes:

FerryFor50
02-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Jeez... HIT A FRIGGIN FT

FerryFor50
02-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Weird. Singler has 0 FT attempts.

FerryFor50
02-22-2009, 09:49 PM
I jinxed em with my 100 point talk.

jv001
02-22-2009, 09:49 PM
Foul shots again...Even Jon missed one..Give the ball to Gerald.

DukieBoy
02-22-2009, 09:52 PM
When is the last time we have had two guys go for 30 in the same game?

RainingThrees
02-22-2009, 09:55 PM
LT just needs to make a 3 to get all 5 starters in double figures.