PDA

View Full Version : NCAA looking into "package deals"

BD80
02-20-2009, 12:40 PM
An NCAA "focus group" is investigating the issue of "package deals", but the article only mentions USC, who hired Hackett's dad as an assistant, so they don't even have to give Hackett a scholarship:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-usc-hackett&prov=ap&type=lgns

I wonder if this will impact John Wall's decision, since his attendance at Baylor would certainly be considered a "package deal?"

I love Coach Floyd's defense of hiring his point guard's dad, stating that Hackett's AAU coach recommended the elder Hackett. To me that is somewhat like an applicant listing his former cellmate as a character reference. I wonder if the AAU coach got a referral fee?

crimsonandblue
02-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Isn't the only odd thing about this package deal the fact that somehow Hackett doesn't count toward USC's schol limit?

I mean, if you're going to look into package deals, there have certainly been, uh, others to check out before this one.

Indoor66
02-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Isn't the only odd thing about this package deal the fact that somehow Hackett doesn't count toward USC's schol limit?

I mean, if you're going to look into package deals, there have certainly been, uh, others to check out before this one.

This is not new. How about Danny Manning and Kansas?

crimsonandblue
02-20-2009, 01:13 PM
This is not new. How about Danny Manning and Kansas?

Yeah, gee, hadn't thought of that one. But I don't think Kansas had an extra scholarship as a result of hiring Ed Manning and I know they didn't when they hired Ron Chalmers (father of Mario).

BD80
02-20-2009, 10:32 PM

The article suggests they are investigating all package deals. Hackett's situation is unusual because of the extra benefit to USC. I don't know if other schools have the policy of waiving tuition for the children of employees.

The issue is whether the job for the recruit's family (or handler) is an "extra benefit." Good luck to them to prove the hiring of a putatively qualified candidate is a "benefit." I wonder how this will fit in with the OJ Mayo investigation. Which will be concluded first?

My hope is that the publicity will affect the Baylor administration, and have them back off of Wall. There has been enough bad press about the basketball program, they may be shy of generating more. Of course, I'd rather see Wall at Baylor than at Memphis.

Duke84
02-21-2009, 06:54 AM
http://www.hr.duke.edu/benefits/education/tuition.html

notacolour
02-21-2009, 01:04 PM
http://www.hr.duke.edu/benefits/education/tuition.html

Duke does have a tuition benefit (effectively waiving Duke tuition and fees for NC residents, though it can be applied anywhere else with a deductible) for children of employees; however, you aren't eligible until the employee has worked full-time for three years. On the other hand, I can't imagine that requirement has never been waived. I haven't heard of it happening for sports-related hiring, though.

Memphis Devil
02-21-2009, 01:53 PM
My hope is that the publicity will affect the Baylor administration, and have them back off of Wall. There has been enough bad press about the basketball program, they may be shy of generating more. Of course, I'd rather see Wall at Baylor than at Memphis.

Memphis and Calipari are certainly no strangers to the "package" deal: Dajuan Wagner and his dad Milt; Darius Washington and his BFF Arthur Barclay; Tyreke Evans and his personal strength and conditioning coach Lamont Peterson; Xavier Henry and his brother CJ Henry

In their defense, at least CJ Henry was a one time high ranked recruit before entering the Yankees farm system.

Memphis Devil
02-23-2009, 01:24 PM
ESPN's OTL had this piece on their website:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3913726

Hope the link works.

DukePA's Mom
02-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Duke does have a tuition benefit (effectively waiving Duke tuition and fees for NC residents, though it can be applied anywhere else with a deductible) for children of employees; however, you aren't eligible until the employee has worked full-time for three years. On the other hand, I can't imagine that requirement has never been waived. I haven't heard of it happening for sports-related hiring, though.

I don't know about the university side, but do know the medical center cut the tuition grant for new hires about 6 or so years ago. The ones who had this benefit were grandfathered in. DukePA used it even though she was married and had a (almost) grown child. Huge help. I am not only a DukePa Mom, I am also a Duke PA's wife. Therefore, we had the grant for all four of our children. Too bad 2 didn't chose this route. One is still a possibility.

I do remember Pete Maravitch (sp ?) dad was hired when he went to school. Thinking it was LSU.

gvtucker
02-23-2009, 04:03 PM
I do remember Pete Maravitch (sp ?) dad was hired when he went to school. Thinking it was LSU.
That is Press Maravich, Pete's dad. And that is also one of the most extreme cases of a package deal ever.

Press coached at NC State for a couple of years after Everett Case stepped down. LSU hired him away in the spring of 1966, near the end of Pete's high school senior year. Legend has it that when Press officially offered Pete a scholarship, he told him that if Pete didn't sign the scholarship, he would never be welcomed in Press' house again.