PDA

View Full Version : Duke vs St. John's matchup....should it continue?

Johnny Jungle
02-19-2009, 10:54 PM
I'm not sure if this rumor circulated around here but the NY Daily News reported a few weeks ago that this matchup was going to be coming to an end after next year. Have you heard the same?

As a Duke fan do you enjoy the trip to the Garden to play St. John's once every other year? Don't like it? Don't care? Could schedule a better team? Would be better if St. John's was better?

What say you, dukies?

DukeUsul
02-19-2009, 11:09 PM
The history of the two programs is great. But St. John's has really been on a slide. I love playing in MSG (and I think the guys do too) but I don't want to see it continue if St. John's stays at the bottom of their league.

geraldsneighbor
02-19-2009, 11:23 PM
What do we gain out of it except an extra trip to MSG every other year?

DukeCO2009
02-19-2009, 11:51 PM
No point. We should play elite teams, and St. John's hasn't been elite forever. If it weren't for the anomaly of Bootsy years, people would have virtually forgotten about the program by now.

CameronCrazy'11
02-20-2009, 12:50 AM
It's ending. One more game in Cameron and that's it.

Hancock 4 Duke
02-20-2009, 10:22 AM
I Like it, I think that it is pretty cool because we usually get an extra win on our record, and if not, they still either get the tradition of the Crazies or the exhilaration of MSG.

gofurman
02-20-2009, 11:35 AM
I Like it, I think that it is pretty cool because we usually get an extra win on our record, and if not, they still either get the tradition of the Crazies or the exhilaration of MSG.

kill it - end of story. the guys (singler and scheyer) have said they get tired late in the year - a week off could be just what they need... other schools do it and we should too

Duke84
02-21-2009, 06:49 AM
There was a commentator on ESPN 1250 in Pittsburgh that basically challenged Duke to set up a home-and-home vs. Pitt if they wanted to play a relevant Big East team (instead of St. John's). It would be a good series, but I love how Pitt fans think a fortunate win vs. Duke a couple of years ago somehow makes them equivalent programs.

Maybe if they make the Final Four this year - which they have an excellent chance of doing. Pitt is one tough team. I wouldn't be surprised if Pitt-Duke is one of those "accidental" matchups the NCAA puts together every year for us. Maybe Jay Bilas could put a Duke-Pitt series together - he's apparently known Jamie Dixon since high school.

And, as I guess this is my first post at DBR, hello and great to be here (and all that).

heyman25
02-21-2009, 07:20 AM
Hell No. Who have we gotten lately from NYC? Noone. Lance is from NJ. Nobody for 2010. Just schedule games in MSG for Duke alumni but play National power schools there.

Duke84
02-21-2009, 07:34 AM
Not sure if that response is for me, but the Pitt media and fans want Duke to play in Pittsburgh, where Pitt rarely loses. To which my response has been "of course you want Duke to lose - everybody does", followed by "the Pittsburgh brain drain has been no accident".

Hey - if you've been playing well for a few years, and want more exposure than you're getting...it's time to make Duke your rival. Just ask Gary Williams.

Now, I have to say that none of this noise is coming from Dixon or Pitt's players (even Blair, who has invented a Jordanesque shoulder chip regarding Duke). It's been coming from the media and fans of Pittsburgh, who have (as a city) made fewer Final Fours than Wake Forest.