Hancock 4 Duke
02-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Who was the man of the match tonight?

OZZIE4DUKE
02-19-2009, 09:23 PM
E-Will, or E-Mail if you prefer.

geraldsneighbor
02-19-2009, 09:26 PM
EW added a spark and I think he looked good on D as well. Hes starting to look more fluent with his feet when he has the ball. I think he played a pretty good game.

loran16
02-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Lance. Solid Play. Solid D. And just one AWESOME Pass.

Cameron
02-19-2009, 09:50 PM
Went with Elliot. His play on the wing was extremely refreshing. What an athletic, graceful force this kid could become. I won't bother getting into the whole "what was Coach K thinking all season" bit. Rather, I will just supply the numbers.

11 points (a career high) on five for six shooting. Simply put, he answered the starting call tonight.

Nice job, Elliot.

I would also like to add that Jon could just as easily be named MOTM. His heady play out front really turned this struggling offense around in the Garden. The flow was really nice at times tonight. The end of the second half not so much, but whatever I guess. I'm just happy we broke the losing streak.

As we saw a great deal in 2007, Jon can flat out run the point. He's neither flashy nor overly quick, but he is consistent and efficient.

mgtr
02-19-2009, 09:50 PM
People have posted that Williams and Plumlee need to get more time. Well, tonight they did, and the results were pretty good. I had to vote for EW as the MOM, even though he was not the top scorer. He and Scheyer, both asked to do new things and succeeded big time.

DukeDevilDeb
02-19-2009, 09:54 PM
We have been complaining that we weakest at the point, and that Jon should handle the ball. Well he did that tonight and did it well. I agree that Elliott and Plumlee were good... Lance has really be moving along and building on his strengths... but without Scheyer's ball handling, the whole game oes in the trashcan.

Go Devils!

BlueintheFace
02-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Must go with Lance. The kid plays like it is his last game every game and he keeps making the little plays that really matter!

jv001
02-19-2009, 10:12 PM
went to Elliot Williams. I voted for EWill for the on the ball defense and the spark he brought to the game. I could have voted for Jon as well because he ran the team effectively. But this time I went for EWill. Go Duke!

Bob Green
02-19-2009, 10:40 PM
I voted for Jon Scheyer. He ran the point and had zero turnovers. I thought our offense looked smoother tonight than it has over the past several games.

Uncle Drew
02-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Although my vote went to E Will I have to agree with loran16 and say that pass was amazing and should in my biased opinion make Sports Centers Top 10 Plays. I also have to give E Will credit for going up and getting it, then having the patience and skill to wait until one defender had gone clear and then take it up and score mano a mano against a St Johns player. Truth be told with one Duke guy back and two St Johns players back it may not have been the smartest play. But I have to say I love seeing Duke at least try to push the ball on offense. And like an NFL QB Lance put the ball exactly where it had to be.

But c'mon people. Some of us are more athletic than others. Some of us are younger while some of us are past our prime. I have been one of the first to say Lance wasn't strong / tall enough at times over the years. But to make THAT throw falling down, with his feet off the ground was amazing. That was 90% arm strength and some bloody good court vision too. I can't say I have been Lance's biggest supporter over his career, just off free throw shooting alone. But to the Lance Thomas that has played the last two games, where have you been?? Keep it up, we as fans ARE noticing.

aro24
02-19-2009, 11:04 PM
I went with E-Will.....great to see him get the start and make the most of it. Hope we get to see some more of that lineup with he and Plumlee.

ARo24

bjornolf
02-19-2009, 11:18 PM
I thought Scheyer deserved MVP for his new role as point guard. Not a great defensive guard against him, so we'll see how it works against a Wake or UNC, but as an experiment, it certainly seemed to work well.

Elliot definitely deserved rookie of the game for playing very well in his second start.

But I thought Lance deserved MAN of the match. That fake leading to the dunk over the Johnny was just awesome, and that pass was UNBELIEVABLE. Maybe he should think about going out for QB next year! ;) Kidding, of course, but W...O...W.

Uncle Drew
02-19-2009, 11:23 PM
I thought Scheyer deserved MVP for his new role as point guard. Not a great defensive guard against him, so we'll see how it works against a Wake or UNC, but as an experiment, it certainly seemed to work well.

Elliot definitely deserved rookie of the game for playing very well in his second start.

But I thought Lance deserved MAN of the match. That fake leading to the dunk over the Johnny was just awesome, and that pass was UNBELIEVABLE. Maybe he should think about going out for QB next year! ;) Kidding, of course, but W...O...W.

Okay you're kidding and I guess I am too. But he could see over any line. We just saw he has arm strength and is acurate. And I think he would be mobile. C'mon if Julius Peppers can do it why not Lance?:D Does anyone know just for sake of conversation if he played any organized football in high school?

beltwayBD
02-19-2009, 11:40 PM
I picked Thomas, for the pass. What a pass! But Elliot earned some minutes, holy cow.

CameronCrazy'11
02-20-2009, 12:47 AM
Okay you're kidding and I guess I am too. But he could see over any line. We just saw he has arm strength and is acurate. And I think he would be mobile. C'mon if Julius Peppers can do it why not Lance?:D Does anyone know just for sake of conversation if he played any organized football in high school?

I don't remember where, but I know I read somewhere that a surprising number of our basketball players (i.e. at least half our players) were also high school quarterbacks.

bjornolf
02-20-2009, 12:52 AM

Do you want me to seriously evaluate him as a QB as a former player myself? He wouldn't be a good QB. I think his arm strength would be fine and he would definitely be mobile (though some guys that are fast w/o pads AREN'T with pads). His body control is good being a baller, so he'd be good at sliding in the pocket and slipping pressure. His accuracy would be pretty good in the short to medium passing game, too (assuming of course that he could learn to throw a football...it's much different). I think he'd have good footwork generally. Reading defenses would be something he'd have to learn, which is NOT easy. Remember, Peppers was a d-lineman, NOT a QB. He'd probably be better as an H-back that got the occasional option pass where the defense breaks down rather than an every down quarterback.

The BIGGEST problem for him, though, would be durability. He hasn't showed the ability to put on muscle, and at 6'8" and 220 lbs., he wouldn't last a quarter before he was broken in half, and I mean that literally. :eek: At 6'8", he'd need to weight AT LEAST 265, all the extra being muscle, to survive out there. Steroids, anyone? :rolleyes: I love Lance, and I think he'd have the skills and talent, but I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

He could have played in high school and been okay, but you don't take the hits in high school that you do in college. Not even close. And he probably wasn't as tall back then. If he HAD played in HS, they never would have made a guy with his height play QB. He would have been a TE or WR. I could definitely see him as a WR. With his height and athleticism, he could go for those jumpball fades in the corner of the endzone and win EVERY one. Think Plaxico Burress.

heyman25
02-20-2009, 03:32 AM
Although my vote went to E Will I have to agree with loran16 and say that pass was amazing and should in my biased opinion make Sports Centers Top 10 Plays. I also have to give E Will credit for going up and getting it, then having the patience and skill to wait until one defender had gone clear and then take it up and score mano a mano against a St Johns player. Truth be told with one Duke guy back and two St Johns players back it may not have been the smartest play. But I have to say I love seeing Duke at least try to push the ball on offense. And like an NFL QB Lance put the ball exactly where it had to be.

But c'mon people. Some of us are more athletic than others. Some of us are younger while some of us are past our prime. I have been one of the first to say Lance wasn't strong / tall enough at times over the years. But to make THAT throw falling down, with his feet off the ground was amazing. That was 90% arm strength and some bloody good court vision too. I can't say I have been Lance's biggest supporter over his career, just off free throw shooting alone. But to the Lance Thomas that has played the last two games, where have you been?? Keep it up, we as fans ARE noticing.

I was hoping the BC game would be the foundation for Lance going forward. Its holding true. We need this kind of play against Wake Forest and the rest of Lance's playing days.Just don't bring the ball low after a rebound. Heard Bobby Knight point that out.Lance Thomas man of the match. Elliott is a welcome 2nd place.Nolan and Greg are a disappearing act that Elliott filled their collective MIA's.

whereinthehellami
02-20-2009, 08:26 AM
I didn't see a MOTM in the game for Duke. Elliot was the closest to me but he was more of a pleasant suprise than a MOTM. Elliot had 3 TOs, no assists, no blocks, and no steals (per boxscore). Scheyer shot 3-8, had only 1 assist.

RepoMan
02-20-2009, 09:17 AM
Scheyer steadied what has been our shakiest position.

CLT Devil
02-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Mine was a symbolic vote for Plumlee....I still think he brings a dynamic to the game down low that we've been missing all year (past two years). His reverse layup was very smooth for a guy his size, and he also had a great block on a smaller guard who shotfaked him but he recovered and got to the ball. There were also times where he would pick and then immediately roll to the basket....didnt convert but good bball IQ.

I know people here will crush me for this, but Z doesnt hit that reverse layup, block the shot or roll to the basket. I was VERY excited about Plumlee's game last night.

E-Mail - Finally got over his nerves with that 3 he hit. He plays great D and can rebound like Markie...look forward to having him contribute more...immediately.

Where has Nolan Smith been?

I don't mean to come off to negative in this post, but am happy that K tweaked the lineup, and for more than just a few minutes. We seemed very methodical the whole game, save a few rushed shots from the PG position.

Hancock 4 Duke
02-20-2009, 12:09 PM
I had to go with Williams tonight. That was his best game so far. Even though he only scored eleven, compared to Scheyer's 15, I usually choose the person who had THEIR best game, apposed to who did the most.

quickgtp
02-20-2009, 12:36 PM
For me it was Email. He looked calm, yet aggressive on both D and O. I hope K uses this line-up more often from here on out!

RepoMan
02-20-2009, 01:49 PM
I know people here will crush me for this, but Z doesnt hit that reverse layup, block the shot or roll to the basket. I was VERY excited about Plumlee's game last night.

I like the way in which Plumlee's game seems to complement the rest of the team better than the way in which Z's game does. Often, when Z is in the game, I feel like we lose rhythm. Surely, Brain has done some great things and has looked better than ever at times; however, I would like to see more Plumlee--not because I think he is some kind of savior--and even though he, as a freshman, likely will make more errors--but because I like the way the game flows when he is in there. (Of course, he has played so little that it is hard to tell for sure, but I'd love to see it.)

johnb
02-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Do you want me to seriously evaluate him as a QB as a former player myself? He wouldn't be a good QB. I think his arm strength would be fine and he would definitely be mobile (though some guys that are fast w/o pads AREN'T with pads). His body control is good being a baller, so he'd be good at sliding in the pocket and slipping pressure. His accuracy would be pretty good in the short to medium passing game, too (assuming of course that he could learn to throw a football...it's much different). I think he'd have good footwork generally. Reading defenses would be something he'd have to learn, which is NOT easy. Remember, Peppers was a d-lineman, NOT a QB. He'd probably be better as an H-back that got the occasional option pass where the defense breaks down rather than an every down quarterback.

The BIGGEST problem for him, though, would be durability. He hasn't showed the ability to put on muscle, and at 6'8" and 220 lbs., he wouldn't last a quarter before he was broken in half, and I mean that literally. :eek: At 6'8", he'd need to weight AT LEAST 265, all the extra being muscle, to survive out there. Steroids, anyone? :rolleyes: I love Lance, and I think he'd have the skills and talent, but I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

He could have played in high school and been okay, but you don't take the hits in high school that you do in college. Not even close. And he probably wasn't as tall back then. If he HAD played in HS, they never would have made a guy with his height play QB. He would have been a TE or WR. I could definitely see him as a WR. With his height and athleticism, he could go for those jumpball fades in the corner of the endzone and win EVERY one. Think Plaxico Burress.

Kyle Singler. Same size as Thomas. 1st Team All State QB in hs.

ACCBBallFan
02-21-2009, 06:02 AM
Relative to expectations, Elliott Williams, but based solely on metrics, Scheyer edged Henderson.

Rating Player
85 D.J. Kennedy, G-F
69 Jon Scheyer, G
68 Gerald Henderson, G-F
60 Sean Evans, F
58 Kyle Singler, F
55 Malik Boothe, G
52 TOTALS-St. John's
52 Elliot Williams, G
51 TOTALS-Duke
50 Lance Thomas, F
31 Paris Horne, G-F