PDA

View Full Version : Tiger is coming back!

OZZIE4DUKE
02-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Next week at the Accenture Match Play tourney in Phoenix. He is the defending champion. Chances are he won't win, but if he does ....... :D

http://www.pgatour.com/r/tiger_archive/index.html

blazindw
02-19-2009, 05:40 PM
The field better be scared. Tiger is back, and he has two good legs this time!

rthomas
02-19-2009, 06:13 PM
I wouldn't expect Tiger to win match play (not his thing)and I'm suprised he entered a 5-day tournament. But the next week, look out.

This week, I'm curious about the 17 year old Japanese rookie, Ryo Ishikawa. I hope he does well.

edit: Now I see Ishikawa shot a 73 in the first round, not that great (for all the hype) but not bad for a 17 yr old rookie.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-19-2009, 06:18 PM
I wouldn't expect Tiger to win match play (not his thing)and I'm suprised he entered a 5-day tournament. But the next week, look out.
Tiger is the defending champion and he has won the tournament three times. Good thing it's not his thing :rolleyes:

blazindw
02-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Tiger is the defending champion and he has won the tournament three times. Good thing it's not his thing :rolleyes:

Match play is actually his bread and butter. He won the U.S. Amateurs and U.S. Junior Amateurs 3 times each, and those are both match play tourneys.

Channing
02-20-2009, 09:56 AM

This week, I'm curious about the 17 year old Japanese rookie, Ryo Ishikawa. I hope he does well.

edit: Now I see Ishikawa shot a 73 in the first round, not that great (for all the hype) but not bad for a 17 yr old rookie.

Perhaps you mean the Ryder Cup isn't his thing, where he has historically been pedestrian at best.

Historically, as mentioned, he dominates match play (aside from the RC).

rthomas
02-20-2009, 10:49 AM
You all are correct. I was mistaken and probably was thinking about match play at RC.

I'm just happy he's playing again and it makes watching golf interesting this time of the year to see how he does with his comeback.

throatybeard
02-20-2009, 07:12 PM
Frankly, I've enjoyed his being out. The British and PGA were more interesting to me for his absence. It's nothing against him or his obvious super-elite nature.

I used to be a big golf fan, but two things have killed my interest in golf, outside of the Masters.

(1) My favorite player, Payne Stewart, died. (Almost 10 years ago, if you can believe that).

2) Golf went big-time mainstream, in an incredibly annoying manner if you were a pre-Tiger fan. After Tiger, the game attracted all sorts of new fans and, worse, journalists, who don't know anything about the game or its history. All coverage of golf tournaments became two stories, one on Tiger and his presence or absence or contention or noncontention and ratings or sucky ratings, and one on whatever was actually going on. All coverage of the game has become this erotic asphyxiation over one guy.

Golf, of course, was so pleasurable before that precisely because so many different guys won, (and actually still do) and because it wasn't contaminated with this retarded idea that "second place is the first loser." Its great stars at a given time were a pantheon, not Tiger-and-the-X-dwarves. Journalists who don't understand how hard it is to beat 156 other players in stroke play also don't understand how the winner-loser mentality of bilateral team sports doesn't apply to Golf, or NASCAR/IRL/F1 for that matter.

I realize I'm kind of acting like the guy who knew the band before they were big and then gets angry because they sold out. I have very little against Tiger. I realize he's almost solely responsible for bringing the purses up on the tour because of TV money. But I'm sick of this Tiger-or-nada attitude towards the PGA Tour, and it's gone a long way towards killing my interest in it.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-20-2009, 10:34 PM
I realize he's almost solely responsible for bringing the purses up on the tour because of TV money. But I'm sick of this Tiger-or-nada attitude towards the PGA Tour, and it's gone a long way towards killing my interest in it.
Many of the PGA tour players were really sick of Tiger too. Tired of the attention he got from the media, tired of the special treatment he got at tournaments, tired of him winning so often, etc. But that has subsided as many players realized how much better they were doing because of him, so for selfish reasons many (not all) of them stopped resenting Tiger's success. And I got this first hand from one of the "other guys" a couple of years ago.

rthomas
02-20-2009, 11:07 PM
Frankly, I've enjoyed his being out. The British and PGA were more interesting to me for his absence. It's nothing against him or his obvious super-elite nature.

I used to be a big golf fan, but two things have killed my interest in golf, outside of the Masters.

(1) My favorite player, Payne Stewart, died. (Almost 10 years ago, if you can believe that).

2) Golf went big-time mainstream, in an incredibly annoying manner if you were a pre-Tiger fan. After Tiger, the game attracted all sorts of new fans and, worse, journalists, who don't know anything about the game or its history. All coverage of golf tournaments became two stories, one on Tiger and his presence or absence or contention or noncontention and ratings or sucky ratings, and one on whatever was actually going on. All coverage of the game has become this erotic asphyxiation over one guy.

Golf, of course, was so pleasurable before that precisely because so many different guys won, (and actually still do) and because it wasn't contaminated with this retarded idea that "second place is the first loser." Its great stars at a given time were a pantheon, not Tiger-and-the-X-dwarves. Journalists who don't understand how hard it is to beat 156 other players in stroke play also don't understand how the winner-loser mentality of bilateral team sports doesn't apply to Golf, or NASCAR/IRL/F1 for that matter.

I realize I'm kind of acting like the guy who knew the band before they were big and then gets angry because they sold out. I have very little against Tiger. I realize he's almost solely responsible for bringing the purses up on the tour because of TV money. But I'm sick of this Tiger-or-nada attitude towards the PGA Tour, and it's gone a long way towards killing my interest in it.

I really felt that way too until he stopped playing. Now I miss him.

dukemomLA
02-23-2009, 03:28 AM
I also soooo miss Payne Stewart (...as well as Jack & Arnold). But, I have missed Tiger. I haven't watched much golf since. I love watching Tiger and other PGA players have to understand the public support of their sport he has brought to them -- and the HUGE financial gain to them by his presence. GO TIGER!

hurleyfor3
02-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Perhaps you mean the Ryder Cup isn't his thing, where he has historically been pedestrian at best.

More to the point, caring about anything other than his own record isn't his thing.

Channing
02-23-2009, 11:53 AM
More to the point, caring about anything other than his own record isn't his thing.

Do you have some sort of proof, or statement, or anything other than your own opinion to back that up? It is well documented that Tiger Woods is on Michael Jordan's level of competitiveness - he hates/despises/can't tolerate losing. I dont think he "takes it easy" in the Ryder Cup because there is no individual gain. If all he cared about was Jack's record, why does he continually win the non-majors? I forget the event, but he won an event before the U.S. Open, maybe a Texas event, by curling in a 15 footer for the win. As he made it, he flung his hat to the ground and got as excited as I have ever seen him - for just another victory.

Like I said - he hates losing, and to imply he doesnt give the Ryder Cup his all seems to me to be misinformed and incorrect.

hurleyfor3
02-23-2009, 12:14 PM
It is well documented that Tiger Woods is on Michael Jordan's level of competitiveness - he hates/despises/can't tolerate losing.

This is quite clear (and is my point).

I dont think he "takes it easy" in the Ryder Cup because there is no individual gain. If all he cared about was Jack's record, why does he continually win the non-majors?

There's plenty of prize and sponsorship money in those other tournaments. And plenty of motivation to win. Michael Jordan, after all, was just as competitive in the regular season as in the playoffs. So were Larry Bird and Magic Johnson, if we want to discuss people who weren't breathing Nike commercials.

Like I said - he hates losing, and to imply he doesnt give the Ryder Cup his all seems to me to be misinformed and incorrect.

It's not just that. What has he done off the course to improve the game? Who are his friends on the Tour? For that matter, where are all the other black golfers we were supposed to have by now? The '97 Masters was 12 years ago.

My problem isn't really Tiger, though, as I have stated before. It's people who think they're "golf fans" but refuse to find any fault with him, or be bothered to care about other players or about the game itself.

blazindw
02-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Also, he has a pretty good record in the singles portion of the Ryder Cup - 3-1-1. In the President's Cup, he's 3-2 in singles. Some people say that he's so good, he intimidates his opponents and his partners. Also, he is a player that is unstoppable when he gets in a rhythm, but playing with a partner doesn't allow him to really work his rhythm as much.

He's won 3 WEC Match Play Championships, and he's the defending champ (won in 2008). Also, many people forget his legend early on grew from his match play wins. He won 3 consecutive U.S. Junior Amateurs and 3 straight U.S. Amateurs, all match play. So, match play is really considered his bread and butter.

blazindw
02-23-2009, 12:29 PM
It's not just that. What has he done off the course to improve the game? Who are his friends on the Tour? For that matter, where are all the other black golfers we were supposed to have by now? The '97 Masters was 12 years ago.

Tiger has done a lot, opening golf academies in impoverished areas and teaching the game to today's black youth in many areas. As a result, though they may not be on the tour yet, there are far more black golfers today than there were 12 years ago. I'm one of them. My dad played and watched golf a lot when I was growing up, and so I would watch with him. I definitely have an appreciation for the game and the skill involved. However, it wasn't until Tiger hit the scene that my brother and I became motivated to play. I was in 10th grade when I first hit a bucket of golf balls, and it was seeing Tiger win on Sundays that gave me something to look up to.

Channing
02-23-2009, 12:35 PM

My problem isn't really Tiger, though, as I have stated before. It's people who think they're "golf fans" but refuse to find any fault with him, or be bothered to care about other players or about the game itself.

For starters: http://www.tigerwoodsfoundation.org/what_we_do.php
Tiger has given millions and millions of dollars to inner city golf programs around the country. In fact, without any data to back me up, I bet you would be hard pressed to find a pro golfer who has given more to charity over the last decade.

I'm not sure what his "friends on tour" has to do with anything, but he is quite friendly with Mark O'Meara, and a frequent participant in the Travistock Cup (http://www.tavistockcup.com/).

All these other players on tour, who are excellent golfers in their own right, owe a huge debt of gratitude to Tiger - without him purses are nowhere near as large and coverage is not near what it is when he plays. Without Tiger, do you think Rocco Mediate ever becomes a great story?

Don't get me wrong, nobody is perfect. He curses on the golf course, and yells at people who take pictures during his backswing, but as a competitor he has revolutionized the game.

ugadevil
02-23-2009, 01:08 PM

That sounds more like his caddy.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-25-2009, 02:32 PM
He won his first hole in the match play, sinking a 5 foot putt. On the second hole, a par 5 currently underway, he is 4 feet away and his opponent, Brendan Jones, is 15 feet off the green, both in two. He's baaaa-aaack! (of course, this isn't too unlike having a 22 point lead in the first half - there is a long way to go in this match!)

Jones missed his 10 footer for birdie 4 and conceded Tiger his eagle putt. Tiger is up 2 and 16.

JDev
02-25-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm watching the Accenture on the Golf Channel right now, and they keep showing the preview of the upcoming show where Hank Haney tries to fix Charles Barkley's hideous swing. I have laughed out loud each time they have shown him skull one, and he says "God bless my mother!" That might be an entertaining show. Barkley is great.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Tiger hasn't been perfect today by any means, but he just eagled 13 to go 4 up. I am sure he is very satisfied with his first round effort. His biggest problem has been measuring the speed of the greens. He only had one practice round and the greens are very slow for a pro tournament. He has left a couple of long birdie putts an inch or two short. :rolleyes:

OZZIE4DUKE
02-25-2009, 06:14 PM
Tiger wins 3 and 2. Brendan Jones eagled the par 4 15th to extend the match to the 16th hole.

throatybeard
02-26-2009, 10:05 PM
And he lost by a decent margin in the 2R. Hopefully we don't have to hear about him again for a few weeks.

chi
02-27-2009, 05:38 AM
http://jenapincott.wordpress.com/2009/02/26/the-real-reason-why-tiger-woods-lost/

OZZIE4DUKE
02-27-2009, 08:12 AM
And he lost by a decent margin in the 2R. Hopefully we don't have to hear about him again for a few weeks.
Must say I was surprised by his defeat. Glad that someone stepped up their game and it wasn't that Tiger self destructed. That made sand shot on 14 or 15 was pretty sweet.

rthomas
02-27-2009, 08:49 AM
http://jenapincott.wordpress.com/2009/02/26/the-real-reason-why-tiger-woods-lost/

Not tying to hijack the thread but that's a whacky blog. Perusing it a bit, I found a link on the right side for a previous one the author wrote on her theory on why men love breasts. I'm not quite sure what to think about that picture. I couldn't make it past that to actually read the crazy article. Is that the author?

JasonEvans
02-27-2009, 09:26 AM

Why? Do you not like and admire Tiger? He is a remarkable athlete, one of the greatest competitors of all time, and -- by all accounts -- a good human being. What is there not to like?

Maybe he gets hyped too much, hard to argue with that, but the hype is a reflection on the amazing things he has accomplished and the ways he has accomplished them. Even if you are sick of the hype, I think you would still have to admire the man.

--Jason "how can anyone resist the cult of Tiger? ;) "Evans

JasonEvans
02-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Anyone see this commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YuF80kgIsE)during the past few days since Tiger came back?

Anthony Kim, Justine Leonard, Trevor Immelman, and Stewart Cink are having a great time with Tiger gone. Then comes the ending-- pretty darn funny. Golf needs more funny ;)

--Jason "who is the guy who takes a big breath at the end? That cracked me up" Evans

gw67
02-27-2009, 02:54 PM
There are six English players among the sixteen left and five Americans. It is possible that one entire half of the draw could be English players tomorrow. Other than Poulter, they have reputations for being gritty players.

gw67

chi
03-01-2009, 03:39 AM
Not tying to hijack the thread but that's a whacky blog. Perusing it a bit, I found a link on the right side for a previous one the author wrote on her theory on why men love breasts. I'm not quite sure what to think about that picture. I couldn't make it past that to actually read the crazy article. Is that the author?

I actually did not see the articles link beforehand. I found the TW article by googling on why he lost. Yes, they are by the same author.

rthomas
03-15-2009, 09:52 PM
The PGA should beware. or be aware. Tiger missed a huge number of lip out putts in the first and second rounds and made 68-68 on the last two rounds. It could have been much much closer except for his first two round putts.

Only Furyk and Rose finished as well as Tiger.

That said, congrats to Phil for winning the CA.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-15-2009, 11:29 PM
Congrats to Tiger, but I am surprised that he didn't win either this tourney or the match play a couple of weeks ago. So I was wrong with my prediction in the other thread. But I do think he'll start a winning streak very soon!

OZZIE4DUKE
03-29-2009, 07:54 PM
He just knocked in a 16 foot birdie putt on 18 to beat Sean O'Hair by one shot. :D:D

Look out golf world, there's no stopping him now! :cool::D

CameronBornAndBred
03-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Wow, that's awesome. I didn't get to watch any of the tournament, but I read up and knew he was in the hunt. This morning's news made it seem a long shot, but with Tiger there is no such thing. Wish I got to see that ending, and great to know he is "back".

riverside6
03-29-2009, 08:38 PM
unbelievable how many times the guy delivers in clutch situations, simply unbelievable

rthomas
03-29-2009, 08:49 PM
That was amazing and finishing in the dark no less.

DukieBoy
03-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Since I have watched sports and remember them(roughly 1999 or 2000), there has been no one as dominant. It's fun to just watch Tiger. He is a truly gifted athlete.

gw67
03-31-2009, 02:09 PM
One of my favorite sportswriters, Tom Boswell, had a column in this morning's Post discussing Tiger and Jack and wishing that they would have played in the same era. They are the two giants of the game and Boswell does a fair comparison of the two although that was not the gist of the article.

Boswell brings out one point that very few of the current golf writers realize. Nicklaus was not only a straighter driver of the ball (with persimmon woods and out-of-round golf balls no less) but it is likely that he would out drive Tiger. Jack entered the national long drive contest one year and won. Still, as Boswell points out, Tiger has a broader, more well rounded game. I consider myself very lucky to have seen these two great players play in person (it was considerably easier to follow Jack around the course).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/30/AR2009033001725.html

gw67

DevilWearsPrada
04-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Tiger finished strong at the Masters. Certainly alot of young guns playing golf. Loved the classic footage of Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Johnny Miller and Gary Player, yesterday.

Exciting finish to the Masters. It was anyone's Green Jacket, until the last putt.

College basketball has ended. So we have GOLF now on Sundays! :cool: (Golf clap)