PDA

View Full Version : Amphibious or Ambidextrous

diesel
02-19-2009, 10:25 AM
Remember the NC State player who said he was equally good in dealing with the ball with both hands?

He said he was amphibious, to the delight of many. They thought he meant ambidextrous rather than equally at home in both land and water.

But ambidextrous could have a worse meaning. I have just been perusing "Reading the OED: One man, One year, 21730 pages." It turns out that an alternative meaning of an ambidexter is "one who accepts bribes from both sides"!

I think I’d rather be considered amphibious.

JBDuke
02-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Remember the NC State player who said he was equally good in dealing with the ball with both hands?

He said he was amphibious, to the delight of many. They thought he meant ambidextrous rather than equally at home in both land and water.

But ambidextrous could have a worse meaning. I have just been perusing "Reading the OED: One man, One year, 21730 pages." It turns out that an alternative meaning of an ambidexter is "one who accepts bribes from both sides"!

I think I’d rather be considered amphibious.

The name you're looking for is Charles Shackleford.

Matches
02-19-2009, 10:56 AM
And if the point-shaving allegations levelled at him were accurate, he might meet both definitions of ambidextrous.

davekay1971
02-19-2009, 11:18 AM
The name you're looking for is Charles Shackleford.

If only youtube were around back then...a classic moment in ACC history.

arnie
02-19-2009, 11:22 AM
And if the point-shaving allegations levelled at him were accurate, he might meet both definitions of ambidextrous.

He and Chris Washburn were quite a pair. Bringing those guys in with zero academic interest or history (SAT for one was 480 I think) probably caused Valvano's downfall. These guys had no interest in going to class and that probably rubbed off on the other players (remember the "48 hours" comparsion of Duke and State programs).

Because of this, I hope we don't bring in any players that tell the staff they're one and done. Doesn't make sense to rent players for a year if you know that's they're intention.