PDA

View Full Version : Which Coach Would You Hire And Why

NYC Duke Fan
02-18-2009, 08:41 PM
If you were the AD and could hire anyone of the following coaches to be your basketball coach , who would you hire and why :

Coach K
Billy Donovan
Roy Williams
Rick Pitino
Jim Calhoun

chadlee989
02-18-2009, 09:16 PM
Coach K! End of thread.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Coach K! End of thread.
Exactly!

dukelifer
02-18-2009, 10:00 PM
If you were the AD and could hire anyone of the following coaches to be your basketball coach , who would you hire and why :

Coach K
Billy Donovan
Roy Williams
Rick Pitino
Jim Calhoun

On my team, K is coach and rest could be assistants.

geraldsneighbor
02-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Ol' Roy can stock the fridge with Coke and wipe the floor down after practice.

jv001
02-18-2009, 10:25 PM

Coach K
Billy Donovan
Roy Williams
Rick Pitino
Jim Calhoun

Coach K does it with integrity, compassion and with his players. Go Duke!

yancem
02-18-2009, 11:26 PM

Coach K
Billy Donovan
Roy Williams
Rick Pitino
Jim Calhoun

Sorry to bash your thread, but what is the point? I seriously doubt that anyone visiting this site is going to pick someone other than K.

NYC Duke Fan
02-18-2009, 11:34 PM
Then Who ?

NYC Duke Fan
02-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Coach K does it with integrity, compassion and with his players. Go Duke!

I totally agree with you, but why do you think that the others don't ?

NYC Duke Fan
02-18-2009, 11:40 PM
Sorry to bash your thread, but what is the point? I seriously doubt that anyone visiting this site is going to pick someone other than K.

Thought that I might get some discussion, but obviously I was wrong .

I actually think that all are very close to equal, both in recruiting and in Xs and Os, although up until 3 years ago I did not put much faith in Donovan's ability in Xs and Os, even though he is a master recruiter, ( might be the best recruiter of them all ).

brevity
02-19-2009, 01:51 AM
Thought that I might get some discussion, but obviously I was wrong.

There are better ways to approach the subject.

1. Your hypothetical places us in the role of an AD. But of which school? Public or private? Major conference? Location? Football school with a basketball inferiority complex? What are the recruiting standards?

2. Are we interested in long-term results? If so, why limit the choices to 3 Hall of Famers, one eventual Hall of Famer, and a young coach who's won back-to-back titles? Why not throw in Mark Few or Anthony Grant? Or a great assistant who's never been a head coach?

3. How hypothetical are we making this situation? Would we be taking Coach K away from Duke by hiring him? If that's the case, should he even be an option?

To generate discussion, you have to create a reason for people to struggle a bit and maybe NOT pick Coach K. In other words, give them something to actually discuss.

jv001
02-19-2009, 07:41 AM
I totally agree with you, but why do you think that the others don't ?

I didn't say they didn't. I don't know as much about them as I do Coach K. williams, Calhoun and Billy D are not my favorite coaches. Just don't care much for them or their teams. Just how I feel, my opinion. Go Duke!

moonpie23
02-19-2009, 09:33 AM
let's throw it off a bit....let's say, that Gary Williams (just an example) decides that all of the wolfpackers who ran Herb off have cousins in MD and they do the same thing to Gary...gary retires.

which coach would you TRY to hire to step into that storied program? in fact, it would almost HAVE to be a coach OUTSIDE the ACC.......

we know that billy, jim, roy, k, and john would proably NOT be available, or interested...

who then would want to move to the ACC stage to compete on this level?

I have an answer that i will post later..

Reddevil
02-19-2009, 11:28 AM
let's throw it off a bit....let's say, that Gary Williams (just an example) decides that all of the wolfpackers who ran Herb off have cousins in MD and they do the same thing to Gary...gary retires.

which coach would you TRY to hire to step into that storied program? in fact, it would almost HAVE to be a coach OUTSIDE the ACC.......

we know that billy, jim, roy, k, and john would proably NOT be available, or interested...

who then would want to move to the ACC stage to compete on this level?

I have an answer that i will post later..

Now we're talkin'. I would look to Dixon, Wright, Grant, and of course Capel.

Matches
02-19-2009, 12:15 PM
I'd hire Donovan. K is the best coach of all-time IMO but he is significantly older than Donovan. I'd hire Billy hoping he'd be the guy for the next 20-25 years.

moonpie23
02-19-2009, 12:35 PM
if i were the MD AD in this case, i would send lefty with a blank check to get MARK FEW........you don't think he would want to come take a place in ACC history?

Reddevil
02-19-2009, 12:55 PM
if i were the MD AD in this case, i would send lefty with a blank check to get MARK FEW........you don't think he would want to come take a place in ACC history?

You're right. I would also like to revise my answer. I will replace Capel with Few. I don't want to route against Capel!

weezie
02-19-2009, 02:15 PM
After the one and only K, I would hire Anthony Grant. Then maybe Pitino, but only because Rick has always respected K.
Then me.:D