BlueintheFace
02-18-2009, 07:37 PM
http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/

Duke- Mason & Ryan

Is it bad that I wish they weren't?

roywhite
02-18-2009, 07:48 PM

If two is somehow bad for us, what does that make four (Henson, Strickland, and the Wears) for UNC?

shadowfax336
02-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Did John Wall turn them down?

And weird that Mason is playing for the West

roywhite
02-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Did John Wall turn them down?

Wall was not eligible (5th year in HS, I believe).

Mason---well, Western NC; those folks in Asheville and beyond think they are a little different. :)

Indoor66
02-18-2009, 07:59 PM

Well, he does play in western North Carolina! :D

bgibbs1001
02-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Wall was not eligible (5th year in HS, I believe).

Mason---well, Western NC; those folks in Asheville and beyond think they are a little different. :)

No We don't!

Chard
02-18-2009, 08:31 PM

If we had our way it would be West Carolina.

watzone
02-18-2009, 08:37 PM
Kelly had this to say shortly after the selection - http://bluedevilnation.net/?p=1801

Chard
02-18-2009, 08:39 PM
http://blogs.citizen-times.com/blogs/index.php?blog=15

Lord Ash
02-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Both Wears, eh? Darn. Hate seeing some of the names on there (Oh Kenny) but nice to see some size on our side. Hope these guys excel at Duke!

BTW, we got not women? Kind of surprising, no? Or is it a bit different on the womens side? I don't follow them as much.

geraldsneighbor
02-18-2009, 10:00 PM
Plumlee is from Warsaw, IN which is considered the West.

dukelifer
02-18-2009, 10:33 PM
for making the McDonald's All American Game. Wall was not on the team- not eligible. Interesting that both Wear brothers made it.

Oops- just saw the other thread on this.

Truth
02-18-2009, 10:59 PM
for making the McDonald's All American Game. Wall was not on the team- not eligible. Interesting that both Wear brothers made it.

Oops- just saw the other thread on this.

Why was Wall ineligible?

Bob Green
02-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Why was Wall ineligible?

John Wall is a 5th year senior.

geraldsneighbor
02-18-2009, 11:15 PM

I'd imagine that doesn't hold that much of a bearing on why Duke hasn't offered yet. I know Miles was a 5 year guy last year.

yancem
02-18-2009, 11:23 PM
BTW, we got not women? Kind of surprising, no? Or is it a bit different on the womens side? I don't follow them as much.

I was wondering the same thing. I remember hearing some thing about recruiting not being Coach P's favorite thing but if she wants to have similar success as she's having this year, she'll have to start recruiting burger girls!

Bob Green
02-19-2009, 03:26 AM
The Asheville Citizen-Times has written a nice article on Mason Plumlee:

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009902190342

Smitty1911
02-19-2009, 10:18 AM
Coach Gaines: Hello
Perky Plumlee: Hi Coach Gaines, this is Mr. Plumlee. I'm calling to let you know that our three 6'11" kids will be transferring to your school.
Coach Gaines: <thud>

At least that's how I picture it going.

SilkyJ
02-19-2009, 02:19 PM
I'd imagine that doesn't hold that much of a bearing on why Duke hasn't offered yet. I know Miles was a 5 year guy last year.

Unless the 5th year is indicative of some problem like an academic issue (i.e. he flunked a year or something), or an attitude issue (he was thrown out of school for poor behavior) then no, the 5th year thing in and of itself has has little bearing on our decision to recruit him, especially considering he's an elite level prospect.

Classof06
02-19-2009, 04:23 PM

No need to wish they weren't, but I think I'm with you in the sense that Duke fans shouldn't be head over heels about a McD AA nomination anymore. I think we've all learned that it guarantees nothing in the long run. I'll leave it at that..

roywhite
02-19-2009, 04:32 PM
No need to wish they weren't, but I think I'm with you in the sense that Duke fans shouldn't be head over heels about a McD AA nomination anymore. I think we've all learned that it guarantees nothing in the long run. I'll leave it at that..

Well, that's certainly true and some previous Burger Boys have not become stars for us.

Interestingly, I think that whole phenomenon has sunk into the fanbase and that people are actually under-valuing Kelly and Mason P. as recruits. Both IMO are going to be good players and at least one (probably Mason but could be Ryan) may well be an All-Conference, A-A mention type player. A surprise on the upside would be nice.

Oriole Way
02-19-2009, 04:49 PM
Well, that's certainly true and some previous Burger Boys have not become stars for us.

Interestingly, I think that whole phenomenon has sunk into the fanbase and that people are actually under-valuing Kelly and Mason P. as recruits. Both IMO are going to be good players and at least one (probably Mason but could be Ryan) may well be an All-Conference, A-A mention type player. A surprise on the upside would be nice.

I think the same, with the exception that I think Kelly has better chance of being an All-Conference player. I think his skills will better translate to the college and ACC level. I expect Plumlee's defense will be stellar, but I suspect his offensive game could come along very slowly. Mason doesn't take a high volume of shots at the high school level, nor does he create for himself as much as Kelly does. I'd be happy to be wrong, though.

COYS
02-19-2009, 09:56 PM
I think the same, with the exception that I think Kelly has better chance of being an All-Conference player. I think his skills will better translate to the college and ACC level. I expect Plumlee's defense will be stellar, but I suspect his offensive game could come along very slowly. Mason doesn't take a high volume of shots at the high school level, nor does he create for himself as much as Kelly does. I'd be happy to be wrong, though.

While obviously we won't know anything until they step onto campus next year, I don't think it would be such a bad thing if you're right and it takes a bit of time for Mason's offensive game to develop. His length and athleticism will make him a force on defense from the beginning and it will certainly help to have Mason, Miles, and Zoubs all on the roster with significant size and Mason and Miles both with good shot blocking ability. It will make our defense tougher. Plus, if Mason is grabbing garbage buckets and moves as well as he's reported to move around on offense, he could get enough layins, etc. that he doesn't need much to contribute on offense right away.

roywhite
03-30-2009, 06:53 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/McDonaldas-All-American-Practices-Day-One-3155/

Some observations of McDonald's A-A players as they practice for Wednesday's game. Some very nice words about Ryan Kelly.

Lord Ash
03-30-2009, 07:30 PM
Loved the bit about Ryan taking it a lot more seriously than anyone else... reminded me of the Sweet Sixteen practice where they said the Duke practice was a real serious practice while the rest were just messing around.

mr. synellinden
03-30-2009, 07:39 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/McDonaldas-All-American-Practices-Day-One-3155/

Some observations of McDonald's A-A players as they practice for Wednesday's game. Some very nice words about Ryan Kelly.

Thanks for sharing that. How's this for a stat? Kelly wasn't even alive when Duke won its first national championship. He was born a week later.

FireOgilvie
03-30-2009, 07:48 PM
John Henson for UNC is going to be tough. I am not looking forward to seeing him next year.

The "Jam Fest" and other skills competition(s) is on tonight at 8 pm ET (very soon) on ESPN2.

Elliot Williams competed last year, and multiple other Duke guys have been in it the last few years. I have no idea if R Kelly or MP2 will be doing anything.

geraldsneighbor
03-30-2009, 08:22 PM
Ryan Kelly shoots the 3. Well. That was impressive.

johaad
03-30-2009, 08:26 PM
Ryan Kelly just won the 3 pt contest.

geraldsneighbor
03-30-2009, 08:28 PM
Ryan Kelly won just won the 3 pt contest.

He reminds me of Singler but taller and not as heavy. I hope that is a good thing.

johaad
03-30-2009, 08:29 PM
I am extremely intrigued by Kelly now.

sivartrenrag
03-30-2009, 08:32 PM
I like Jay Williams doing the commentary because he isn't afraid to say he went to Duke and that he likes it.

Ryan Kelly was awesome during the 3pt competition. Not that it means a whole lot, but it's definitely not a bad thing.

johaad
03-30-2009, 08:35 PM
I like Jay Williams doing the commentary because he isn't afraid to say he went to Duke and that he likes it. .

I was thinking the same thing. I hate hearing some former Blue Devils almost try to avoid discussing their careers at Duke.

geraldsneighbor
03-30-2009, 08:45 PM
Mason Plumlee....impressive.

quickgtp
03-30-2009, 08:45 PM
WOW!!! Mason with a sick dunk!!

sivartrenrag
03-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Oh my! Mason's dunks were ridiculously impressive.

BlueintheFace
03-30-2009, 09:00 PM
OH MY GOD!!! Mason Plumlee is a freaking athlete!! Is anybody else watching this Dunk Contest?

mr. synellinden
03-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Yes!! His last dunk was awesome.

He got robbed. They always give it to the little guy.

Basket weaving?

JDev
03-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Duke could have swept the dunk and 3pt. contests very easily. Kelly has a great stroke and, as J-Will said, will be great setting the high pick and stepping out for a jump shot. Mason is clearly athletic and is actually bigger than I thought. I know it is a skills exhibition, but both guys generated some excitement, at least for me.

johaad
03-30-2009, 09:32 PM
Duke could have swept the dunk and 3pt. contests very easily. Kelly has a great stroke and, as J-Will said, will be great setting the high pick and stepping out for a jump shot. Mason is clearly athletic and is actually bigger than I thought. I know it is a skills exhibition, but both guys generated some excitement, at least for me.

Me too. They both showed that they have the potential to be something special. After today, (Seth Curry, Kelly wins 3pt contest, Plumlee's sick dunks), I am feeling very optimistic.

Ignatius07
03-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Ryan Kelly shoots the 3. Well. That was impressive.

Just a reminder that Larry Drew 2000 won the 3pt contest last year and I can honestly say I never once saw him hit a 3 this year. I'm sure he hit some but not while I was watching. Anyway I'm just trying to say it doesn't mean he was the best shooter there nor does it mean he'll be the best on the team next year.

RainingThrees
03-30-2009, 10:19 PM
Post number 666, that can't stay over night! Ryan looked really smooth though and I thought he just took the wide open 3's. The way he shot them it looks like he might turn into a better pick and pop player than Singler.

VaDukie
03-30-2009, 10:38 PM
Looks like we've got a couple good ones for next year. Between tonight and Curry this week is turning out to be pretty good.

FireOgilvie
03-30-2009, 10:38 PM
I just watched the competition... Mason was totally robbed. I think we need a congressional investigation into Steve Smith.

Also, I have now decided that Mason needs to start at the 5. Jason Williams said Coach K said he was the "next Laettner." I was surprised to hear such high praise, but I hope he's right... and Mason definitely has the physical tools to do it.

chrisheery
03-30-2009, 11:34 PM
I just watched the competition... Mason was totally robbed. I think we need a congressional investigation into Steve Smith.

Also, I have now decided that Mason needs to start at the 5. Jason Williams said Coach K said he was the "next Laettner." I was surprised to hear such high praise, but I hope he's right... and Mason definitely has the physical tools to do it.

Where did you see/hear that? I can't believe they would say that (not doubting you, just suprised I mean). Not only is it high praise, it is a lot to live up to.

Also, these guys look better than I thought they would. Plumlee looks like a bigger, stronger version of Chase Buddinger (spelling?). I think he could start immediately. We don't need big guys that can post, we just need guys that can seal on the weak side to make teams pay when we drive and dish/kick. Just need guys that can catch and finish efficiently, something we have been lacking for 2+ years.

BlueintheFace
03-30-2009, 11:41 PM
Where did you see/hear that? I can't believe they would say that (not doubting you, just suprised I mean). Not only is it high praise, it is a lot to live up to.

Also, these guys look better than I thought they would. Plumlee looks like a bigger, stronger version of Chase Buddinger (spelling?). I think he could start immediately. We don't need big guys that can post, we just need guys that can seal on the weak side to make teams pay when we drive and dish/kick. Just need guys that can catch and finish efficiently, something we have been lacking for 2+ years.

I'd like a big that has a post move or two. Variety is the spice of offense.... or life, whatever.

I really think we don't need a dominant post like many, but I do think we need one who can be counted on for 3 or 4 buckets a game one-on-one in the post. Having that option makes a huge difference.

FireOgilvie
03-30-2009, 11:49 PM

Jason Williams said it while commentating on the dunk contest... he said it right before Mason's first dunk. He said something like, "I had a chance to talk with Coach K today, and he said that Mason is the next Laettner, with his size, athleticism, and ability to shoot the ball." It was close to that. When he said it, I was shocked. But, then I watched Mason compete in the dunk contest... and I thought, "Maybe Coach K knows what he's talking about..."

roywhite
03-30-2009, 11:57 PM

Yeah, I saw part of the original showing, and just watched part of it again at 11:00. Jason Williams sounded genuinely excited about Mason P. and did say K told him he had to see this kid, could be the next Laettner, really skilled and athletic.

The two dunks Mason did in the first round were just sick; not the between-the-legs-double-pump stuff, but looked they could have occurred in a game situation and were just so powerful. One of the dunks was play #3 of the day from SportsCenter.

And Ryan Kelly hitting 4 in a row from the 3-pt line at the top of the key....very nice, and also could have been from a game...sets the screen, get the pass back, and boom.

Yeah, the usual disclaimers...this is not a game, just an exhibition, doesn't necessarily carry over to real competition, blah, blah, blah.

These two guys are exciting!

HCheek37
03-31-2009, 12:29 AM
just back from the bar with my buddies and its interesting to note that one of my friends guessed that kelly was an incoming Duke player before they threw his information on screen.....later on he joked that Plumlee looked like a Duke kid too and obviously he was right about both....

Both were very impressive in the contests and it seems they both need to add a little muscle in order to battle with Favors and the other ACC big men there.

Definitely not the worst post-tournament week with these kids playing well and Curry packing his bags for Durham

-bdbd
03-31-2009, 12:58 AM

Actually, while all three Plumlee brothers play(ed) at a private "academy" in A-ville, in the great state of West Carolina, they hail from, and their family still lives in, Indiana. Hence, the Western McD team assignment has some logic.

Am very excited about these two kids, especially if one (Miles?) can man the post next year. ...though 6-9 guys who shoot the three aren't all bad either....

-bdbd :o

ice-9
03-31-2009, 06:26 AM
I'm pretty freaking stoked.

If Wall comes to Duke and G stays, our team is going to be STACKED. Even if G leaves (which I think he will...if I were him, I would) we have...

- Athletic Mason in the post who will dunk putbacks or put in short jumpers at a very high percentage. He can also defend the post against all but the biggest 5s.

- Sharpshooting Kelly playing the pick-and-pop, pick-and-roll, or waiting in the wings for kickouts. He'd be devastating in plays involving the pick...not only because he can shoot it, but also because he can use his height to receive passes on the roll. Plus, Mason can be there to either receive another pass from Kelly, or Mason can pull his defender away to clear the lane which the defender will have to respect because Mason can also shoot it.

You can do a lot with these two twin towers.

Then you add in Singler, Scheyer, Elliot, Nolan...oh my goodness, our offense will be off the charts.

The only thing we're really missing is a PG who can penetrate at will. I know Scheyer, Elliot and Nolan can penetrate and create plays...but I don't think they can do it at will the way J-Will, Duhon and Avery could.

That's where Wall comes in.

Wow, our team would be off the hook if he commits.

Disclaimer: Yes, I know our two (or three? :)) recruits will be rooks, but I'm thinking about what's possible, not necessarily what I expect. I'm sure there will be growing pains as they scale the learning curve.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-31-2009, 07:01 AM
I like the above thinking. We will have a great team next year as we always do. If Wall commits to us this could be a very interesting turn in events. He is saying that Memphis is his top choice right now, but if Cal goes to Kentucky he could definatly change his mind to his number two which is Duke. That would be a pretty good March/April for us even though we aren't in the NCAA Tournament anymore. Seems like we have had a good stretch of good things happening since that loss. Maybe the Basketball Gods will bless us some more.

Mason looks really good/ if he is half the player that Leattner was i will be happy with that.

Airforcedukie

Saratoga2
03-31-2009, 08:14 AM
Plumlee looked like he might be the 6'11" as claimed and he has some muscle. With his agility, he has the tools to be a very good one at Duke. As a rookie, he may not shine all that much, but there is reason to be optimistic. We also can't forget his brother, who will have a year of experience. Maybe we will have a brother combo like Oklahoma this year?

Kelly winning the 3 point contest adds another reason. He looks like about 6'9" and 215 to 220 pounds. Kind of a slightly taller version of Singler last year. With the shooting and the handle I hear he possesses, he could be a really solid addition.

Other than Wall, I don't think any point guard we could get would help us this coming season, except for depth. With Curry coming next year along with probably two solid guards, we will really have what we need.

whereinthehellami
03-31-2009, 09:26 AM
The options for 2010's lineup are going to be amazing. I think Thornton has a chance to be a really good ball handler, distributor, and on the ball defender at the point. Duke hasn't had a really true point in a few years. But who would Thornton supplant in the backcourt for more time? Smith (SR), Curry (SO), Williams (JR), or Dawkins (FR)? Duke could finally be good and deep enough to go with a blue and white team, especially if playing with decent leads.

miramar
03-31-2009, 09:31 AM
BTW, we got no women? Kind of surprising, no? Or is it a bit different on the womens side? I don't follow them as much.

We haven't had any women on the team for the last two years, which corresponds to G's last recruiting class and McCallie's first. The last two Mickey D's would be Thomas and Thomas, rising juniors. Nevertheless, Duke is still in the picture for G Tayler Hill from Minnesota.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncw/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=62437&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncw %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d624 37

BTW, speaking of WBB, isn't it a shame that Maryland was knocked out by Louisville? Oh, sure...

jv001
03-31-2009, 10:43 AM
for Mason and Ryan in the McDonalds game. I am always hopeful that our incoming freshmen will jump into the starting rotation and be superstars. However this year I'm just going to wait until tipoff before calling Kelly and Mason superstars. If I remember last year some who saw Olek play in hs said that he was going to break into the starting lineup. Well we see how that has played out. So next year (season) I'm hope that I'm pleasantly surprised in the play of our incoming freshmen. Go Duke!

roywhite
03-31-2009, 10:49 AM
for Mason and Ryan in the McDonalds game. I am always hopeful that our incoming freshmen will jump into the starting rotation and be superstars. However this year I'm just going to wait until tipoff before calling Kelly and Mason superstars. If I remember last year some who saw Olek play in hs said that he was going to break into the starting lineup. Well we see how that has played out. So next year (season) I'm hope that I'm pleasantly surprised in the play of our incoming freshmen. Go Duke!

That's certainly reasonable.

Just for info, though, Olek was ranked around 90 to 105 among last year's recruits. Mason and Ryan are currently ranked 11 and 12 by ESPN, and generally in the 10 to 40 range by almost all the services. They both have considerably more basketball experience than OC.

The off-season, particularly following an NCAA tournament loss, can be rough, as we watch our rivals proceed on, and wait to see if the NBA will claim current players.

I don't see much wrong with getting to see highlights and all-star game play from our new guys, and getting excited about the possibilities.

Mason and Ryan both seem to be talented and are also personable and well-spoken. Welcome!

jv001
03-31-2009, 10:55 AM

Just for info, though, Olek was ranked around 90 to 105 among last year's recruits. Mason and Ryan are currently ranked 11 and 12 by ESPN, and generally in the 10 to 40 range by almost all the services. They both have considerably more basketball experience than OC.

The off-season, particularly following an NCAA tournament loss, can be rough, as we watch our rivals proceed on, and wait to see if the NBA will claim current players.

I don't see much wrong with getting to see highlights and all-star game play from our new guys, and getting excited about the possibilities.

Mason and Ryan both seem to be talented and are also personable and well-spoken. Welcome!

Roywhite you make excellent points and I'm pretty sure both these young men are good high school players and will represent Duke University well. But I know me, and sometimes I get too pumped up on incoming players. I'm going to stay even keel from now on. Just like in the recruitment of John Wall. I'm not going to get my hopes up. Then I can be pleasantly surprised. Go Duke!

VaDukie
03-31-2009, 11:01 AM
I'm not expecting superstar status from either of these guys from the moment they step foot on campus but the potential is there and I do bet they'll get there at one point or another. At the least I expect both of them to challenge for playing time and push our other guys in the frontcourt to be better next year.

I already can't wait for Blue-White.

roywhite
03-31-2009, 11:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FerQjITEfzI

Here's a video of the 3-pt shooting competition.

Ryan shot 16-25 on the final round.

miramar
03-31-2009, 11:11 AM

While Wall is not eligible for the McDonald's game, that doesn't mean he isn't on people's minds. Here is a tidbit from rivals.com coverage of Monday's McD's practice (scroll down to Extra Thoughts):

"Duke has strengthened its position with No. 1 ranked prospect John Wall after a productive meeting with the prospect on Sunday. Duke might also benefit from what seems to be the imminent departure of Coach Calipari from Memphis to Kentucky."

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=930036

gofurman
03-31-2009, 11:28 AM

'right - for perspective - williams was top 20, he played at end of year, plumlee was top 50 and saw a little time, cyck (sp?) was top 100 and saw no time

Greg_Newton
03-31-2009, 02:35 PM
Again, all the usual disclaimers, and these impressions could all change Wednesday night... but I was about as impressed with Mason last night as I could have been from a dunk contest. I don't really agree with the Laettner comparisons as far as playing style - Mason's not a Laettner-type shooter by any means, and Laettner was nowhere near the jumper Mason is.

We already knew he could seriously elevate, but what impressed me the most last night was a) how comfortably and fluidly he moved and elevated and b)his swagger. The former was where he really looked different from Miles/McBob - how easily he would elevate to near-head-at-the-rim-level and how smooth he looked gliding to the rim (major hang time for a big guy). I can't remember the last time I've talked about freeze frames so often, but I paused the replay of his second dunk when he was at his peak and fully extended... and let's just say if you can jump like that with that kind of height/body control/wingspan, you're a pretty special athlete. I also liked his general demeanor and attitude... he just looked like a star. He's good and he knows it. This is the area in which I hope he can develop a bit of a Laettner complex.

I'm just praying we get Mr. Wall now, because he and Mason would be so much fun to watch together. If Mason can play with the type of slashing guard that can draw defenders and feed him in a position where he can take 1-2 steps towards the basket and attack the room off of one foot, he could be an absolutely terrifying finisher.

No high expectations, just high hopes...

Maxwell1977
03-31-2009, 02:45 PM
Again, all the usual disclaimers, and these impressions could all change Wednesday night... but I was about as impressed with Mason last night as I could have been from a dunk contest. I don't really agree with the Laettner comparisons as far as playing style - Mason's not a Laettner-type shooter by any means, and Laettner was nowhere near the jumper Mason is.

Laettner was a low post player until his Jr. year. I recall K chiding Ferry in '89 that "finally we had a real center". Laettner was no slouch, but yes, Mason seems to get up easier.

chrisheery
03-31-2009, 03:00 PM
Could they not have found a taller rack to hold the balls for Ryan? It was like those things were made for a little kid. He had to bend over. I hope someone can throw him better passes than that next year.

These guys look really really good. Man, we should have known how good they were a long time ago. I feel bad for doubting this class.

CLT Devil
03-31-2009, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the video of Kelly in the 3-point contest. Apprears he has a very consistant motion.

Does anyone have a link to Plumlee's dunks? I looked on youtube and the McD's website but couldnt find them, sorry if it's already been posted here.

loran16
03-31-2009, 04:35 PM
From draftexpress:

Mason Plumlee put on quite a show at the dunk contest last night in terms of athleticism and pure creativity, and he continued to impress today with his excellent raw physical tools. He set the tone early on at the practice by diving on the floor for a loose ball, which immediately seemed to raise the level of intensity for everyone around him. He had a couple of impressive moves around the rim, putting the ball on the floor and finishing emphatically at the rim, and also showed a nice stroke from beyond the arc. He’s clearly a very raw prospect who is quite a ways away from being able to contribute on the defensive end the way Coach K will demand from him next year at Duke, but his upside is definitely intriguing.

---------------
I hate the word "raw" in there....I've had enough raw "big men" for Duke lately, to the point where its just annoying (Uh, Czyz, Zoo, Lance, much?). Still, not terrible.

Also of note is the Xavier Henry article that indicates he could not follow Calipari and head to Kansas...and that this could somehow affect Harrison Barnes, who i know we're very interested in.

Ian
03-31-2009, 04:58 PM
It's really not about how high you can jump as it is about how quickly you can get off the ground.

Casey Sanders was the perfect example of this, he could jump really high, but he could not jump unless he gathers himself first, which is why he dunked so rarely. Because the split second it takes to gather yourself is all the defenders needs to either knock the ball out of your hands or get in position to block your shot.

Greg_Newton
04-01-2009, 12:11 AM
I figure 10 points is a good measure for a "respectable" showing in the McD's game. I'm going to be an optimist:

Mason: Over. 12-15 pts, all on dunks/lay-ins/FTs. Mostly spectacular alley-oops with a jab-step drive from the elbow or two mixed in. I think he will rebound better than we might expect (7-8), but will struggle with defensive positioning and shot-blocking more than we might expect. Hopefully I underestimate him and he somehow explodes for 20+ and protects the rim like a skinnier Dwight Howard.

Ryan: Over. I think he's been under-hyped due to the fact that he's not filling a gaping hole for us and he isn't a highlight player, so I'm going to go out on a limb here and say 15-18 points... although it could just as easily be 5 depending on how assertive he is. I predict he takes advantage of others not taking the game as seriously and hits a three or two, finishes a couple inside, and is able to juke and fake and create his own mid-range shots whenever he wants to. I also predict that he will be a better interior defender than some expect.

MVP goes to man-child Derrick Favors with 22 and 12.

What does everyone else expect (or hope) to see?

Travi_K
04-01-2009, 08:50 AM

We already knew he could seriously elevate, but what impressed me the most last night was a) how comfortably and fluidly he moved and elevated and b)his swagger. The former was where he really looked different from Miles/McBob - how easily he would elevate to near-head-at-the-rim-level and how smooth he looked gliding to the rim (major hang time for a big guy). I can't remember the last time I've talked about freeze frames so often, but I paused the replay of his second dunk when he was at his peak and fully extended... and let's just say if you can jump like that with that kind of height/body control/wingspan, you're a pretty special athlete. I also liked his general demeanor and attitude... he just looked like a star. He's good and he knows it. This is the area in which I hope he can develop a bit of a Laettner complex.

I'm just praying we get Mr. Wall now, because he and Mason would be so much fun to watch together. If Mason can play with the type of slashing guard that can draw defenders and feed him in a position where he can take 1-2 steps towards the basket and attack the room off of one foot, he could be an absolutely terrifying finisher.

No high expectations, just high hopes...

Again with the normal disclaimers above, I completely agree with your assesment. I thought Miles looked like a good athlete with lots of potential but with a child like shyness last year. I may have falsely envisoned Mason as having the same tempermeant of his bro but I am beginning to think this is not the case. It is amazing how different siblings can be isn't it. I am fully aware I could be wrong on this from watching a dunk contest but the way Mason carries himself is completely different than his bros. Also his nick name Chile Dog is just slap hilarious.

CLT Devil
04-01-2009, 09:45 AM
Miles did look a little tentative, mainly on the defensive end. He did however have some pretty aggressive takes to the hoop that showed how athletic he is. I actually thought he looked pretty polished...smooth handle, good passer, good moves around the rim. One thing for sure is there's going to be a logjam at the 4/5...hope he gets better during the summer and gets his time.

miramar
04-01-2009, 09:52 AM
With the McDonald’s game in town, the Miami Herald ran an interesting series on high school recruits and on the abuses in AAU basketball, not to mention several articles on Kenny Boynton. Today they also had some good takes on the McDonald’s game.

Israel Gutierrez writes about JJ Redick’s MVP game:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/977835.html

Greg Cote writes on “Excess and Greed”:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/977838.html

Fabian Lyon writes on Brandon Knight, a junior Duke recruit from South Florida. With a 4.28 GPA, Duke would seem a great fit:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/high-schools/broward/story/976788.html

Here are the AAU articles, but you will have to take a shower afterwards:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/972865.html

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/974330.html

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/high-schools/story/976180.html

jv001
04-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Mason reminds me of The Chief..Cherokee Parks in his leaping ability. Both have good leaping ability from the stand still position. I don't know how much he can contribute his freshmen year, but if he gets stronger over the off season, who knows. Go Duke!

crimsonandblue
04-01-2009, 11:42 AM
I figure 10 points is a good measure for a "respectable" showing in the McD's game. I'm going to be an optimist:

Mason: Over. 12-15 pts, all on dunks/lay-ins/FTs. Mostly spectacular alley-oops with a jab-step drive from the elbow or two mixed in. I think he will rebound better than we might expect (7-8), but will struggle with defensive positioning and shot-blocking more than we might expect. Hopefully I underestimate him and he somehow explodes for 20+ and protects the rim like a skinnier Dwight Howard.

Ryan: Over. I think he's been under-hyped due to the fact that he's not filling a gaping hole for us and he isn't a highlight player, so I'm going to go out on a limb here and say 15-18 points... although it could just as easily be 5 depending on how assertive he is. I predict he takes advantage of others not taking the game as seriously and hits a three or two, finishes a couple inside, and is able to juke and fake and create his own mid-range shots whenever he wants to. I also predict that he will be a better interior defender than some expect.

MVP goes to man-child Derrick Favors with 22 and 12.

What does everyone else expect (or hope) to see?

I've heard you have to get the ball to score. Chances that Plumlee gets a lot of looks will be pretty slim. I'd say under for sure on him. Kelly? Eh, someone might feed him if he's hot on the perimeter. I'll say over there, although I wouldn't be surprised if only guards and wings touch the ball.

Memphis Devil
04-01-2009, 01:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FerQjITEfzI

Here's a video of the 3-pt shooting competition.

Ryan shot 16-25 on the final round.

Looks like he learned to shoot by watching Jimmy Chitwood from "Hoosiers". Perfect stroke!

roywhite
04-01-2009, 07:03 PM
The Powerade Slam Dunk (plus skills and 3-pt shooting) broadcast is being rerun right now---7:00 PM EDT on ESPN. This prior to the game telecast.

If you haven't seen Mason and Ryan in action, check it out!

FireOgilvie
04-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Ryan Kelly started for the East squad... nice.

slower
04-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Oh, boy. This guy looks GOOD.

johaad
04-01-2009, 08:15 PM
I liked that bank shot.

Greg_Newton
04-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Oh, boy. This guy looks GOOD.

Yeah... that's twice in a row he just beat Ryan down the floor for a dunk. Kelly's got a quicker release than I might have expected though, and his length is sure nice. He'll need some boxing out lessons when he gets to Duke though...

Now it's Mason's turn... wow, two forced turnovers by him in a row if I'm not mistaken. Nice fast break, nice spin move and touch in the lane. He's going to be a beast. Too bad he and Mr. Wear won't get be playing together much after this, they're quite a tandem on both ends of the court.

johaad
04-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Monster Dunk!

Wildcatsj25
04-01-2009, 08:26 PM
first post. i think kelly looked a little nervous out there but i really like what i see from mason. does lance stephenson look like a complete ball hog to anyone else?

FireOgilvie
04-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Capel's recruit Keith Gallon looks really good right now... he also has another McD AA in Tommy Mason-Griffin.

Demarcus Cousins and and Derrick Favors are impressive... no way either one of them spends 2 years in college.

Plumlee is making some nice plays.

freedevil
04-01-2009, 08:31 PM
I don't know how to ask this without upsetting a moderator - but Renardo Sidney's long sleeve undershirt is some pretty unique basketball gear. Totally legit athletic shirt, new fashion statement or is he just self conscious?

slower
04-01-2009, 08:32 PM
first post. i think kelly looked a little nervous out there but i really like what i see from mason. does lance stephenson look like a complete ball hog to anyone else?

Lance Stephenson ALWAYS looks like a ball hog.

Wildcatsj25
04-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Lance Stephenson ALWAYS looks like a ball hog.

ok wasn't for sure. I like the way mason is going after the ball while he was in there and he has some serious atheletic ability for a big.(looks like all the big men do in this class)

slower
04-01-2009, 08:41 PM
Basically a dunkfest. Kelly doesn't look very comfortable out there.

Tiny Gallon looking good.

Ah, Henson. *takes an aspirin*

johaad
04-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Basically a dunkfest. Kelly doesn't look very comfortable out there.

Tiny Gallon looking good.

Ah, Henson. *takes an aspirin*

You're right, Kelly doesn't look comfortable. Not playing bad, just seems nervous. Plumlee on the other hand is looking great.

FireOgilvie
04-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Plumlee can really jump. He looks good, although he is all over the place on defense.

geraldsneighbor
04-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Plumlee can really jump. He looks good, although he is all over the place on defense.

I didn't know there was Defense in this game?

loran16
04-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Its a dunk fest...its not the right place for kelly.

Also i slightly suspect Tiny is doing so well since no one wants to stop a 280-300 pound behemoth bearing down on them for a dunk.

geraldsneighbor
04-01-2009, 09:07 PM
The Wear's sure know how to travel...They will be a nice fit with Tyler leaving.

FireOgilvie
04-01-2009, 09:11 PM
I didn't know there was Defense in this game?

Haha true, but you can tell that some guys are really comfortable out there... Plumlee looks confused a lot of the time and he's made a couple bad fouls (although one was called on Wear as they both reached in at the same time).

The Wear twins are going to be career bench-warmers at UNC, especially next year with Ed Davis, Zeller, Deon Thompson, and Henson ahead of them.

Faison1
04-01-2009, 09:19 PM
From what little I saw, I really like the looks of Mason. I think both he and Ryan move very well, but Mason looks to be calling for the ball down low (even though it doesn't look like he has a great post move....but that can be learned). With that type of attitude and aggressiveness, we may get some good minutes out of him next year.

In retrospect (the past 2 years), considering the angst over recruiting this class, I think things have come together nicely. Especially if we get lucky with names that shall not be mentioned, lest we jinx the whole thing.

Seriously though, remember the guys we lost to Florida and UNC? Not Boynton, but the other kid from Mass I think. And the shooting guard going to UNC.....neither of them made the McD team. In fact, both dropped down the rankings significantly. So, I'm feeling good about the whole thing.

Greg_Newton
04-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Despite his limited numbers, Mason looks great (minus that goofy airballed 3).

His post game actually looks much better than I thought. He establishes position well, and that face-up, jab step, power-dribble or two, spin/fake spin move from about 10 feet away is a very legit post move. He still needs to work on that last step off the spin and then going up strong without worrying about contact, but he could be more of a post scoring threat next year than I might have thought.

His defense and rebounding also look better than I expected. He boxes out pretty well, and he's SO tall and long that he can get his hands on just about anything within a 5 foot radius and tip it to himself even if he doesn't have perfect position. He's had a couple fouls challenging shots, but I didn't think they were bad fouls... he at least had a hand on the ball each time, and they prevented easy buckets. I get the feeling he might not have been so aggressive on them if this wasn't an all-star game where everyone's just trying to posterize someone and make SC. He hasn't had any weak side shot blocks, but he's wound up for a couple where the shot didn't end up getting to him but he looked to be in very good position if they had.

His intangibles also look great, as I noted Sunday night. I love confidence and ease he plays with. He also looks pretty jacked when they show him close up. I'll bet he's more like 230 than 220.

And as has been previously stated, this is just not Kelly's type of game.

Double DD
04-01-2009, 09:31 PM
So does everyone realize that John Calipari is going from Memphis to Kentucky and that Xavier Henry and DeMarcus Cousins may or may not join him there? Because that's what I learned so far. Repetition is the key to acquiring knowledge.

Edit: Oh, and also Henry signed but Cousins did not. Important point, because the relationship with the coach matters and Henry has a clause allowing him out.

FireOgilvie
04-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Kelly just scored a couple of easy dunks, but then got beat one-on-one on a breakaway layup. I like seeing Kelly finishing with a strong dunk.

johaad
04-01-2009, 10:02 PM
I know Plumlee missed that buzzer beater but I am glad to see that he had the confidence to take it. I am encouraged by what I saw tonight, especially with Plumlee.

GMR
04-01-2009, 10:10 PM
You must have been looking at a different ball game than the one I saw. I was quite disappointed with the two Duke recruits.

They need about 25-30 pounds of muscle, they both have a long ways to go on defense, they are perimeter stand-arounds asking for the ball, they are not the big, physical 5 players that Duke needs. I don't see either of them giving much help next year. We need a big, strong guy that takes plays within 15 feet of the basket, goes strong to the hoop, rebounds as a priority, plays strong, smart defense, and has a few basic moves in the paint.

GMR

FireOgilvie
04-01-2009, 10:10 PM
I know Plumlee missed that buzzer beater but I am glad to see that he had the confidence to take it. I am encouraged by what I saw tonight, especially with Plumlee.

I think that pretty much sums it up for me, too.

Plumlee looked much better in the 2nd half on defense... he's tough to shoot over.

Devilsfan
04-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Plumlee looks very instinctive on the court. Kelly seems like he wants to play spot up shooting guard. He doesn't seem very comfortable mixing it up with the big boys. Plumlee has more of a D-1 ACC body. It's hard to tell much with the unconrolled, no D, AAU basketball where no one really wants to pass it to a Plumlee, Kelly or a Wear.

OldSchool
04-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Based on what limited view one can get in an all-star game like this, here are some impressions.

Mason is a player. He has a great nose for the ball, sees the action on the court very well, is very athletic. Solid all-around. Very good and crafty under the basket. It seemed to me at times he was looking for opportunities to show off his 3-pt shot, but no one would pass him the ball, and then at the end he had a chance to tie it with a three point shot. Good form, but just off. Mason will get solid minutes next year and start as a sophomore, if not by the end of next season.

Ryan is a little harder to place. He plays with the instinct of a wing. He does not exploit his height very well under the basket and often did not move himself to the best position to compete for defensive rebounds. We know he can shoot the three ball. He moves fairly well for a guy his size. He may be quick enough to guard the three position, it's difficult to say from this game. He has something of a handle. Good offensive instincts. If his defense shapes up, call me crazy, but I can see him getting minutes at the three position. He could either shoot over or post up a smaller man. He could be devastating at that position if he can prove he can reasonably defend smaller guys trying to drive on him. He has a thin frame so I don't ever see him becoming a muscular bruiser who bangs under the basket. But he will need to get stronger nevertheless.

johaad
04-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Quote: "You must have been looking at a different ball game than the one I saw. I was quite disappointed with the two Duke recruits."

I never said that either one of these guys was our savior. I said I am encouraged by what I saw, and I am. I saw a smart big in Plumlee that, yes, needs some weight. But he shows that he has talent. I think he will EVENTUALLY be what we need. He seems to have a body type that can gain weight. I really don't expect either of these guys to be starters next season.

geraldsneighbor
04-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Does anyone else think Kelly is comparable to Dunleavy?

mgtr
04-01-2009, 10:19 PM

Yes! Very reminiscent of Mike. And to my mind, that is a real compliment.

johaad

It's a little early to tell, but I can definitely see what you're saying. Height with a shot would definitely sound like Dunleavy.

Devilsfan
I think Kelly was enamored by Favors play. I don't know if he reminds me of a McRob or a Horvath only with shooting ability.

Channing
04-01-2009, 10:20 PM
You must have been looking at a different ball game than the one I saw. I was quite disappointed with the two Duke recruits.

They need about 25-30 pounds of muscle, they both have a long ways to go on defense, they are perimeter stand-arounds asking for the ball, they are not the big, physical 5 players that Duke needs. I don't see either of them giving much help next year. We need a big, strong guy that takes plays within 15 feet of the basket, goes strong to the hoop, rebounds as a priority, plays strong, smart defense, and has a few basic moves in the paint.

GMR

do you remember how daniel ewing looked in the McD game - and he turned out Ok.

arnie
04-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Kelly is definitely not a low post player or someone that will rebound - he just didn't seem to want to mix it up down low. He appeared to be able to handle the ball, so he might be more of a SF. Singler showed a lot more during his all star game.

Plumlee is definitely stronger and seemed more intense than Kelly. Think he will probably see a lot of time in the middle.

Although these games don't mean much as far as point totals, I've watched most all the McD games and its usually easy to spot the true stars and the guys that are out of place. As example, watching Brand and Domzalski in these games gave a strong indication of how each would turn out as post type players. Although I don't expect either Plumlee or Kelly to do much inside, they may be stars on the perimeter. Unfortunately, they didn't get to showcase those skills in this game.

OldSchool
04-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Although I don't expect either Plumlee or Kelly to do much inside, they may be stars on the perimeter. Unfortunately, they didn't get to showcase those skills in this game.

I think Plumlee will play primarily inside, not on the perimeter. He has hops and looks fairly strong for a senior in high school. He may float outside occasionally for a long jump shot. As he gets stronger and his play becomes more learned and disciplined he will be solid inside.

FireOgilvie
04-01-2009, 10:35 PM

GMR

If you knew anything about either one of the recruits, then you wouldn't have been "disappointed" in their game. They're 6'10" - 6'11" guys that weigh between 215 and 225. Just seeing this, you knew they weren't Shaquille O'Neal. There were only 3 guys out there that meet your weight requirement (Sidney, Cousins, and Gallon). I agree that they need to gain some weight/muscle (especially R.K.), luckily they have 6 months before they play their first collegiate game.

Also, were you "disappointed" while watching John Henson, the UNC recruit? He looked fantastic, but he's 17 lbs. lighter than Ryan Kelly.

arnie
04-01-2009, 10:41 PM
I think Plumlee will play primarily inside, not on the perimeter. He has hops and looks fairly strong for a senior in high school. He may float outside occasionally for a long jump shot. As he gets stronger and his play becomes more learned and disciplined he will be solid inside.

I agree Plumlee will have to play inside - but that's due to the makeup of our team. I just don't think he'll have that great of a presence; but maybe he can hold down the fort. I do like his attitude though.

Devilsfan
04-01-2009, 10:46 PM
I liked Plumlee2's effort. He looks like he could develop into a legit Duke player. Also the Louiaville guard and Derrick Favors impressed me.

OldSchool
04-01-2009, 10:58 PM
And "Tiny" Gallon was impressive. He seems like another one of those guys like DaJuan Blair who are surprisingly athletic for the weight they are carrying around.

DukeWarhead
04-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Couldn't see the game over here in Korea. Did anyone see it? Who were the biggest stand-outs. I was looking at the box score and saw that Plumlee and Kelly had quiet outings, but the stats rarely tell the whole story. Looks like the commit to Oklahoma (Gallon) had a big game. Good for Jeff Capel.

thanks

BlueintheFace
04-01-2009, 11:24 PM
Plumlee looks fluid. Kelly looks for his mid-range jumper. That is about all I feel comfortable concluding after a game like that

G man
04-01-2009, 11:30 PM
these games me jack! all though Mason looks like he can jump out of the gym! Kelly can shoot I like them

Lord Ash
04-01-2009, 11:33 PM
Hard to tell much from these sorts of games. I did think that Mason looked very comfortable down low, and was a bit more muscular/defined than I expected.

Wheat/"/"/"
04-02-2009, 12:37 AM
I didn't get to see all of the game, but did get to see enough for a couple of quick obsevations...

This year's MDAA's had a ton of talent. Didn't even catch all their names, but some really good players out there.

Gallon was the most impressive big man I saw. Soft hands and strong. Sean May clone. He may be the reason Capel stays at OK in the end. He could play for me. If he commits to the weight room, he will make a lot of $ some day.

Snare (SP?) the kid going to FSU is a player. I liked his game.

I kept missing Kelly on the floor so no real comment on him, but Plumlee reminded me somewhat of Singler, and looked good. He hustled and wanted to mix it up. Duke kind of guy for sure.

My first look at the Wear twins and was pleasently surprised. Had expected Kris Lang type talent, but they are more athletic than he was. I have no idea which one was which though. I had expected them to be more of the "project" sort since they have not been as highy hyped as the other UNC recruits, but they both had some quickness, size, anticipation and some court vision. Never did see them take a shot.

First little bit I've seen him, but Henson is darn skinny, way too skinny, to be "all that", just yet.
He looked like he could have some special talent, but it was hard to tell. It looked like they had a rule you could only pass once before you had to shoot it in the game.
I had hoped/expected to see some Durant in his game but saw more of a Magic type player. He's got to work on his foul shot, it was pretty ugly. When he gains 25 pounds, gets confidant and aggressive...lookout.

captmojo
04-02-2009, 07:11 AM
My first look at the Wear twins and was pleasently surprised. Had expected Kris Lang type talent, but they are more athletic than he was.

Do you suppose Lang would agree with this? :rolleyes::D

roywhite
04-02-2009, 07:28 AM
The 2009 version was even more frenetic and unstructured than usual; any good coach would cringe at the lack of defense and teamplay.

A few quick observations:
Mason P. has the frame and athletic ability to be a major player at some point
Ryan K. can shoot, doesn't esp. like to mix it up underneath
John Henson is a very impressive, long, run/jump athlete
The Wear twins will struggle for playing time early
Cheek, going to Villanova, is a very nice all-around player
Lance Stephenson is even more of a ball-hog than expected
"Tiny" Gallon is a player
Dexter Strickland, going to UNC, didn't impress
Michael Snear, going to FSU, is a good athlete and talented

As was mentioned, some of the top guys are still undecided about their college choice, at least partly based on recent coaching changes.

Saratoga2
04-02-2009, 07:34 AM
The 2009 version was even more frenetic and unstructured than usual; any good coach would cringe at the lack of defense and teamplay.

A few quick observations:
Mason P. has the frame and athletic ability to be a major player at some point
Ryan K. can shoot, doesn't esp. like to mix it up underneath
John Henson is a very impressive, long, run/jump athlete
The Wear twins will struggle for playing time early
Cheek, going to Villanova, is a very nice all-around player
Lance Stephenson is even more of a ball-hog than expected
"Tiny" Gallon is a player
Dexter Strickland, going to UNC, didn't impress
Michael Snear, going to FSU, is a good athlete and talented

As was mentioned, some of the top guys are still undecided about their college choice, at least partly based on recent coaching changes.

While there was a lot of talent on the floor, most of the time there was little team play or passing. Neither Plumlee nor Kelly had many chances, since the ball was rarely passed back to them.

I did think Plumlee showed athletic ability and could handle and pass well. He has the size and looks physically imposing. Maybe he can be the inside player we all hope for.

Kelly rarely saw the ball in this game so it is hard to say much. He can handle the ball and I think we will have to wait for the season to get a better feel for what he is capable of in Div I.

6th Man
04-02-2009, 07:54 AM
Watching Kelly play, reminded me of Nick Horvath. Mason looked like he has a lot of potential.

MChambers
04-02-2009, 08:04 AM
Watching Kelly play, reminded me of Nick Horvath. Mason looked like he has a lot of potential.

Can't wait for the summer pickup game reports!

slower
04-02-2009, 08:10 AM
While there was a lot of talent on the floor, most of the time there was little team play or passing. Neither Plumlee nor Kelly had many chances, since the ball was rarely passed back to them.

If you like "good basketball" - rather than the video-game style of play - these all-star games are usually rather nauseating.

And I was just wondering who (if anybody) was supposed to be covering Favors at the end of the game. He made two or three uncontested alley-oops at the end and it seemed to me as if Mason was covering him earlier. But as has been noted, there was a striking (though totally expected) lack of defense.

gw67
04-02-2009, 08:23 AM
As advertised, this year's group of players is far superior to last year's group. There were several big men who appeared to be equal or better than the best big man in last year's game.

I like both Duke recruits. Plumlee is an impressive player. Coach K likens him to Laettner and I agree. Kelly appears to prefer to play on the perimeter. He has the build of Dunleavy and a good jumper but his game doesn't seem to be suited to the run-and-shoot, no defense, multiple dunk type of game. I would not sell this kid short, he played ahead of Plumlee on the USA Basketball team and apparently is a good all around player.

As far as the UNC players, Henson and the Wear twins run the floor well and Henson appears to be agressive near the basket. One of the Wear's made a beautiful pass to Henson on a fast break. I would expect Henson and one of the twins to get some playing time in the Heels crowded frontcourt. The announcers pointed out their 4th recruit, a guard, but he didn't seem to play much.

Snaer is going to Florida State and had some nice moments. If Kinchen can take over the point, Snaer should get a bunch of minutes at the off guard position.

I was not impressed with Stephenson. Even for this game, he seemed to be selfish and it doesn't appear that he is a good shooter. How he is considered an NBA prospect is beyond me. If I was Maryland, I would back off.

gw67

whereinthehellami
04-02-2009, 08:58 AM
I think this game set basketball back a couple of years. I think this was the worse All-Star game in years.

Plumlee and Kelly put the expectations for next year back where they should be. They are not one and done players, not even close. If either of them can contribute off the bench next year on a consistent basis, then that will be a success.

While Henson has some serious strength issues like Plumlee and Kelly, he is very long, quick, and agile. He is TROUBLE, big time trouble. Did you see him outrebound Kelly and then explode dribbling down the court for a dunk. Kelly couldn't catch him Yikes. Henson looked like a guard.

Strickland didn't impress me but I'm sure he will be solid for Roy as a sub for Ellington next year. I've heard some Heele fans say that he could run some point but I don't see it.

The Wear twins will be solid for Roy over the years but they won't likley be stars. Tough, hustle type players. Glue guys.

Lance Stepehnson looks like a ball hogging headcase. I can't believe Gary Williams is interested.

The Taylor kid that is going to Pitt has possibly the worse form that I have seen outside of a 5 year-old rec league.

Boynton was quick and fearless but didn't impress me with his shooting or decision making. Probably the kind of player who could have really helped Duke out though.

The players that looked impressive to me last night were Galleon, Cousins, Favors, Henson, Silva, and Snaer.

sandinmyshoes
04-02-2009, 09:02 AM
The trouble with these kinds of games is that the more "team" there is in a player, the more difficult it is for them to standout. Unless, of course, they are a point guard.

That said, my ACC impressions:

Mason Plumlee: What's not to like? He mixes it up some. Runs the court. Athletic. Court awareness. Some passing skills. Good hands. The comparisons to Singler are pretty much on, although I think Mason is longer and with more hops.

Ryan Kelly: Exactly the sort of kid who is hurt by my caveat above. Just didn't see enough of him to get much of an impression.

John Henson: This kid will be a small forward in the NBA. I'm just glad we are not likely to see him as a sophmore, never mind as a junior. By the end of next season he and Davis in the same frontcourt is not something I want to think about.

Wear twins: What stood out was their passing and screening. By their sophmore years they could be glue guys for UNC.

Dexter Strickland: I didn't look for him, so maybe I missed something, but he just didn't make any impression. Boxscore said he got four rebounds, so he has that going for him.

Michael Snaer: Does FSU have a cloning facility somewhere? I've seen this kid over and over again in an FSU uniform. Athletic, quick, streaky game that needs more discipline. Nice impression.

Milton Jennings: Didn't make much of an impression on me in the game. Very engaging in the video segment, however.

Derrick Favors: With this kid and what he has coming back, Georgia Tech had better show some significant improvement next year or Hewitt is done.

Play of the game. Plumlee to a Wear, back to Plumlee for the slam. That was very pretty basketball with a nice pass, a beautiful return pass, and a strong finish.

Boxscore: http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/boys_final.pdf

slower
04-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Mason Plumlee: What's not to like? He mixes it up some. Runs the court. Athletic. Court awareness. Some passing skills. Good hands. The comparisons to Singler are pretty much on, although I think Mason is longer and with more hops.

Hey, I like the look of Mason as well, but let's take it easy with comparisons to Singler. Maybe someday, but not yet. Kyle's in a different league right now, literally and figuratively.

But I AM excited about Mason. He looks good. And Kelly will shine in a different venue than an all-star game.

Finally, Lance Stephenson has the look of one of the most overhyped players in recent memory. I kind of feel sorry for him - the pressure on him to succeed must be overwhelming.

Favors is a beast. Snaer looks really good. Too early to tell about the Wear twins.

And Henson - oh, God...Henson and Davis together - oh, no...please, no.

miramar
04-02-2009, 09:41 AM
do you remember how daniel ewing looked in the McD game - and he turned out Ok.

While we love to read a lot into this game and see it as an indicator of future success, we should remember this: Ronald Curry was MVP and won the slam dunk competition in 1998, yet gave up basketball after two years at UNC. Christian Laettner scored 2 and Johnny Dawkins 3. Shane Battier scored 6, so Plumlee and Kelly are in great company.

BTW, Duke is not alone: James Worthy, Byron Scott, and Chris Mullin scored 2 points each and Ralph Sampson 4. Sean Elliot was shut out yet shared all the POY awards with Danny Ferry in 1989.

Since the 1991 game was played in Cameron, Ewing's jersey is still on display at the McDonald's in the Bryan Center.

slower
04-02-2009, 09:46 AM
While we love to read a lot into this game and see it as an indicator of future success, we should remember this: Ronald Curry was MVP and won the slam dunk competition in 1998, yet gave up basketball after two years at UNC. Christian Laettner scored 2 and Johnny Dawkins 3. Shane Battier scored 6, so Plumlee and Kelly are in great company.

BTW, Duke is not alone: James Worthy, Byron Scott, and Chris Mullin scored 2 points each and Ralph Sampson 4. Sean Elliot was shut out yet shared all the POY awards with Danny Ferry in 1989.

Since the 1991 game was played in Cameron, Ewing's jersey is still on display at the McDonald's in the Bryan Center.

You can watch Henson and just KNOW that he will be a load.

jipops
04-02-2009, 10:13 AM

GMR

So you're basically saying we need a Blake Griffin. Woudn't everyone like one of those?

You can't really gage anything on what you see in these games. Remember Tyler Hansbrough didn't put in a very impressive showing in this game and look what he became. About the only thing you can gage from this game is whether or not a kid can actually shoot and both our incoming guys seem capable of that.

I'm optimistic Kelly and Plumlee will provide excellent contributions to the Duke program. Both (especially Mason) appear to have frames that can put on weight so I'm not worried in that dept either.

trinity92
04-02-2009, 10:17 AM
I was impressed with Plumlee the younger-- thought he was committed on defense and has good hands. He also can handle the ball. He brought the ball up the court at least once with his head up and looking for teammates. It would be so nice if he could be the pressure release on full court pressure instead of Singler so KS can be on the receiving end of passes.

Kelly looked a bit lost and waiting for passes to the perimeter that he should have known would never come in a game like this. I agree this wasn't his place to shine. OTOH, if he's a 6-10 guy waiting on the perimeter for kick-outs, what guard can possibly get a hand in his face, and what big guy can possibly get out fast enough to contest his shot? Let's get him rebounding and shooting 3s and he's a valuable addition.

I think DeMarcus Cousins is a star right now. I want him on our team badly. What can we do about this?

sandinmyshoes
04-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Hey, I like the look of Mason as well, but let's take it easy with comparisons to Singler. Maybe someday, but not yet. Kyle's in a different league right now, literally and figuratively.

But I AM excited about Mason. He looks good. And Kelly will shine in a different venue than an all-star game.

Finally, Lance Stephenson has the look of one of the most overhyped players in recent memory. I kind of feel sorry for him - the pressure on him to succeed must be overwhelming.

Favors is a beast. Snaer looks really good. Too early to tell about the Wear twins.

I should have included an additional caveat. When comparing a recruit to a current player, I always compare them at similar stages of their careers. Singler as a high school player wasn't the player that he is now. We never know how the development track will go, but for Plumlee there is a Singleresque potential.

As for Stephenson, I think he did have a game high in assists. That suprised me given this attitude projection. Said projection reminded me of Jeff McInnis. But that may be just that I saw a facial resemblence there.

whereinthehellami
04-02-2009, 10:47 AM

Very good points.

As far as Plumlee looking like Singler, I don't really see it. And Singler looked really good in his MCD's game. You could tell he was ready. Heady, athletic, and physical.

dukelifer
04-02-2009, 11:23 AM
First little bit I've seen him, but Henson is darn skinny, way too skinny, to be "all that", just yet.
He looked like he could have some special talent, but it was hard to tell. It looked like they had a rule you could only pass once before you had to shoot it in the game.
I had hoped/expected to see some Durant in his game but saw more of a Magic type player. He's got to work on his foul shot, it was pretty ugly. When he gains 25 pounds, gets confidant and aggressive...lookout.

The problem with Henson is that he is so skinny- so skinny that he will not be able to jump to the NBA in a year. He will be eaten alive at that level unless he has an outside shot that was not evident yesterday. The problem for the rest of the ACC is that he will be sticking around UNC for a while. He looks and plays like a guard because he is a guard in a 6' 10" or bigger body. He weighs as much Scheyer. The Wear twins were much bigger and heavier than I thought. Henson need to follow the Wear kids when they go out for dinner. Roy has some very talented big men to work with. That said- he may be a bit thin at the guard position. Still Henson could actually play guard. UNC will be a dangerous team. The only hope is that Davis has a monster game in the FF and goes pro this year.

Double DD
04-02-2009, 11:40 AM
The problem with Henson is that he is so skinny- so skinny that he will not be able to jump to the NBA in a year. He will be eaten alive at that level unless he has an outside shot that was not evident yesterday. The problem for the rest of the ACC is that he will be sticking around UNC for a while. He looks and plays like a guard because he is a guard in a 6' 10" or bigger body. He weighs as much Scheyer. The Wear twins were much bigger and heavier than I thought. Henson need to follow the Wear kids when they go out for dinner. Roy has some very talented big men to work with. That said- he may be a bit thin at the guard position. Still Henson could actually play guard. UNC will be a dangerous team. The only hope is that Davis has a monster game in the FF and goes pro this year.

If you're active and have a skillset, I think you'll be abe to contribute in the NBA despite beign skinny. Anthony Randolph was built the same way as Henson and has looked very good for Golden State (although Don Nelson seems to be unaware).

TheBrianZoubekExperience
04-02-2009, 11:55 AM
I liked what I saw out of Mason. He'll be solid from the beginning though I don't know if he'll ever be a star.

I'm not high on Kelly from what I've seen in clips online and this game. He seems like he's going to need to play the 3 and might be a bit slow and struggle to get open shots. His height will make some of that easier but I'm worried he'll just be forcing a lot of contested jumpers.

I liked Gallon a lot.

Lance Stephenson was a little dissapointing. He seemed to sulk everytime he got a foul called on him or missed a shot. I'm not sure he'll be able to overpower ppl the way he did in HS so I wonder if he'll be that effective in college.

Devilsfan
04-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Maybe Kelly was under the weather last night. He seemed to be slow to get down the court, didn't want to play any D (although who did?), didn't go after rebounds and had trouble elevating. It looked like he was not feeling well. At Duke players like Singler, Greg, Elliott and Jon dive for every loose ball, and NEVER stop playing their hardest. Hope we see that from him next year.

roywhite
04-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Maybe Kelly was under the weather last night. He seemed to be slow to get down the court, didn't want to play any D (although who did?), didn't go after rebounds and had trouble elevating. It looked like he was not feeling well. At Duke players like Singler, Greg, Elliott and Jon dive for every loose ball, and NEVER stop playing their hardest. Hope we see that from him next year.

Some are being a little rough on Ryan Kelly:

1. You just can't tell much in a sloppy up-and-down contest like last night's game, which was actually poorer quality than most McD games.

2. If you knew nothing else about Mr. Kelly, you could see from the last few days what a great shooter he is. 16-25 on the final round of the 3-pt competition is very impressive. Did you also notice the bank shot he hit from about 8 feet away?

3. He'll have a big adjustment to top-level college basketball, but most freshmen do.

SilkyJ
04-02-2009, 12:36 PM

The two dunks Mason did in the first round were just sick; not the between-the-legs-double-pump stuff, but looked they could have occurred in a game situation and were just so powerful. One of the dunks was play #3 of the day from SportsCenter.

Roy/anyone - link to mason's dunks? was only able to watch the recast last night and they showed 2 or 3 guys go in teh first round and then jumped to the finals and i didnt get to see Mason's 1st round dunks which were apparently pretty sick...

They do have his elbow-in-the-rim dunk from the finals up on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6uhhZqR_PU

Does anyone have a link to Plumlee's dunks? I looked on youtube and the McD's website but couldnt find them, sorry if it's already been posted here.

Looks like I'm not the only one.

a guard from New York a ball hog? come on....

roywhite
04-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Roy/anyone - link to mason's dunks? was only able to watch the recast last night and they showed 2 or 3 guys go in teh first round and then jumped to the finals and i didnt get to see Mason's 1st round dunks which were apparently pretty sick...

http://mefeedia.com/entry/the-2009-mcdonalds-high-school-dunk-contest/16133110

See if this works.

Mason will be fun to watch.

SilkyJ
04-02-2009, 01:54 PM
http://mefeedia.com/entry/the-2009-mcdonalds-high-school-dunk-contest/16133110

See if this works.

Mason will be fun to watch.

Thank you, sir. Draft Express just added Mason's dunks from the 1st round on Youtube as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui8lmW3OahQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFOPrHvjC6s

KyDevilinIL
04-02-2009, 02:08 PM
I always watch this game and always come out of it feeling bummed about Duke's guys. I want them to dominate every play and every possession, which of course is a ludicrous expectation.

Some guys look less than great in the NBA all-star game. It's just the nature of games played in the absence of structure or preparation. I'll reserve judgment until November.

jv001
04-02-2009, 02:28 PM
I always watch this game and always come out of it feeling bummed about Duke's guys. I want them to dominate every play and every possession, which of course is a ludicrous expectation.

Some guys look less than great in the NBA all-star game. It's just the nature of games played in the absence of structure or preparation. I'll reserve judgment until November.

I'm with you on this. I'm not going to react to how Ryan played in this game, because he never got the ball back after passing it. I take more from the commnents made by those that saw him in the skills competition. As for Mason it's obvious he's athletic and can really jump. That in it self has to help at the 5 position. Go Duke!

dgoore97
04-02-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm with you on this. I'm not going to react to how Ryan played in this game, because he never got the ball back after passing it. I take more from the commnents made by those that saw him in the skills competition. As for Mason it's obvious he's athletic and can really jump. That in it self has to help at the 5 position. Go Duke!

when interviewed on the sidelines, Milton Jennings was asked who he would want to play with and he said, Favors, Siva, Kelly and one other. I think that is a good sign and give it more credence than any one all star game performance

FireOgilvie
04-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Another thing to take from this game:

Plumlee had 2 blocked shots. Only he and Henson (UNC) had 2 blocks. Plumlee is long and tall and can really get up there... that's something we've been missing recently. Duke was something like 3rd to last in the ACC in blocked shots per game this year.

gotham devil
04-02-2009, 05:55 PM
a guard from New York a ball hog? come on....
Don't castigate a region or a city.
UConn, Pitt, Villanova, Syracuse, and Louisville, amongst many others, all were able to survive with a NY ballhandler.

Lance is a 3/2. Durand Scott belonged in that game, but you'll see that next year. He just beat Lance in the state title game, can shoot the lights out, plays tough Big East caliber defense, and was in the National Honor Society. If Frank Haith takes the Georgia job, I'd love to see the staff target him.

miramar
04-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Since we are on the subject of Burger Boys, I started wondering how Eric Boateng was doing at ASU. He would have been a senior had he stayed at Duke, but he only averaged 1.8 PPG and 2.0 RPG at ASU in 8.2 minutes of action per contest. This was a down year in the Pac 10, so I guess he would have contributed even less at Duke.

http://thesundevils.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2008-2009/teamcume.html

Wheat/"/"/"
04-02-2009, 08:46 PM

Don't forget about Deon moving to a more natural position at center and Tyler Zeller too.

UNC is going to have the best front court in the country next year.
If Ellington should decide to come back, I would feel real good about UNC's chances to repeat. ;)

Indoor66
04-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Don't forget about Deon moving to a more natural position at center and Tyler Zeller too.

If Ellington should decide to come back, I would feel real good about UNC's chances to repeat. ;)

Repeat? Repeat what? They haven't won anything yet! :D

slower
04-02-2009, 09:10 PM

Yeah, weren't they supposed to win LAST year, too? We shall see.

dukelifer
04-02-2009, 09:15 PM

I assume you mean repeat NOT winning the NC after getting to the Final Four. Technically, this year will be the repeat ;)

Wheat/"/"/"
04-02-2009, 10:27 PM

Oh, sorry I wasn't clear, I meant a repeat of sweeping Duke. Yea, ah, yea...that's the ticket...;)

MChambers
04-03-2009, 07:43 AM

You really think UNC can play three of those guys at a time? Are they going to play a zone?

whereinthehellami
04-03-2009, 08:24 AM

From a skill set they will be good. Lets see about consistency and toughness.

And don't forget about Drew. The powder blue will need Ellingtonn to have a backcourt that is average to slightly above average.

Wheat/"/"/"
04-03-2009, 09:52 AM
You really think UNC can play three of those guys at a time? Are they going to play a zone?

That's two good questions that remain to be seen.

First, Roy has said all along that Henson is a 3 so, I guess we will see that.
Below is my take on who could play extended minutes next season.

Let's assume Ellington/Lawson are gone, which I think they are.

Starters: Thompson, Davis, Henson, Ginyard, Drew.
Bench: Zeller, Graves, Strickland, (Watts, Wears, McDonald)

Forget the MDAA game, (pg/sg) Strickland is ranked #4 in the entire class this year and is expected to see serious floor time from people I know. (I haven't seen him play, yet).

Freshman SG Leslie McDonald is another # 13 ranked player coming in that could step up and get some time. (Haven't seen him either).

It will be a young team, but way talented. The wildcards for UNC next year will be how Graves comes back, has he matured? Kid can score from the outside which will be needed. And has Ginyard recovered to his old form?

Unlike some people, I have great confidence in Drew. He had a typical freshman season, but proved he can play at this level. I like his game as a PG, he's fast, has a good handle and can make the entry pass. He needs to improve his scoring, but a summer of work with the options he will have on the floor will remind the old timers like me of Jimmy Black to Worthy for the dunk.

I do not expect to see much zone from Roy. He hates to slow the game.

jv001
04-03-2009, 10:12 AM
That's two good questions that remain to be seen.

First, Roy has said all along that Henson is a 3 so, I guess we will see that.
Below is my take on who could play extended minutes next season.

Let's assume Ellington/Lawson are gone, which I think they are.

Starters: Thompson, Davis, Henson, Ginyard, Drew.
Bench: Zeller, Graves, Strickland, (Watts, Wears, McDonald)

Forget the MDAA game, (pg/sg) Strickland is ranked #4 in the entire class this year and is expected to see serious floor time from people I know. (I haven't seen him play, yet).

Freshman SG Leslie McDonald is another # 13 ranked player coming in that could step up and get some time. (Haven't seen him either).

It will be a young team, but way talented. The wildcards for UNC next year will be how Graves comes back, has he matured? Kid can score from the outside which will be needed. And has Ginyard recovered to his old form?

Unlike some people, I have great confidence in Drew. He had a typical freshman season, but proved he can play at this level. I like his game as a PG, he's fast, has a good handle and can make the entry pass. He needs to improve his scoring, but a summer of work with the options he will have on the floor will remind the old timers like me of Jimmy Black to Worthy for the dunk.

I do not expect to see much zone from Roy. He hates to slow the game.

While I agree that unc will be pretty good next year, I don't think they will repeat; winning the ACC regular season championship, Win the NCAA crown or repeat in defeating Duke twice. They like all other teams will have major questions. You listed them in your post. So next year will be another tight race for the ACC teams. For whatever reason outside of unc, the ACC has been rather weak in the last few years. Next year looks to be no different. Go Duke!

MAG0297
04-03-2009, 11:37 AM

I agree without a doubt that UNC will have the best front court in the country next year. Deon Thompson has showed that he can be one of the better post players in America and that is while playing second fiddle to...well it pains me too bad to say his name! I also think that with Thompson and Ed Davis down low they are MUCH BETTER defensively. Throw in the recruits, Ginyard, and possibly Wayne Ellington and the collapse that many of us had hoped for simply isn't going to occur. Having said that, I think a national title or domination over Duke is out of the question. Why? NO TY LAWSON!!! Take Ty off this year's team and they aren't in the Final Four IMO and probably wouldn't have swept Duke. Larry Drew II might turn out to be a good point guard but I can't see him turning into Ty Lawson, yes he is that good.

Now about our Micky D's boys. We know that Kelly, if anything, can score; we are in need of players that can score. His defense probably needs a little work but Duke is up to that challenge. I was very encouraged by what I saw out of Plumlee. He seems to have a level of aggression that certainly Z hasnt matched and that can only help. True he isnt a back to the basket type of player, but any offense out of the post that we can get would help, since we havnt been able to get that consistently. I think Plumlee, as a frosh, will bring more offense out of the post than LT or Z have been able to provide. At the very least, we will be deeper in the post because LT and Z struggle with foul trouble forcing us to rely solely on Singler; Plumlee can help a lot with this.

I think that without G (please come back) and JWall (please come), Duke is still going to be a better team next year than they were this year. I think Nolan can develop into a sufficient point guard for next year and expect to see his scoring rise. I also expect big thinks from EW, he showed flashes of it this year. If G comes back, Duke could be great next year. If G and JWall are on campus, WOW!!! Either way, the future looks bright and the program seems to be progressing in the right direction, IMO!

TheBrianZoubekExperience
04-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Keep in mind that Ed Davis could very well leave too. He's projected to go in the lottery if he leaves and is a surefire first round pick. I'm hoping he goes pro.

mr. synellinden
04-03-2009, 12:03 PM
I was very encouraged by what I saw out of Plumlee. He seems to have a level of aggression that certainly Z hasnt matched and that can only help. True he isnt a back to the basket type of player, but any offense out of the post that we can get would help, since we havnt been able to get that consistently. I think Plumlee, as a frosh, will bring more offense out of the post than LT or Z have been able to provide. At the very least, we will be deeper in the post because LT and Z struggle with foul trouble forcing us to rely solely on Singler; Plumlee can help a lot with this.

IMO!

I agree and disagree. Agree in the sense that what Mason showed in the dunk contest and in the game is very encouraging. He is smooth for a big man, athletic and he doesn't lack for confidence. He also seems comfortable in his height and build, whereas Kelly did not (I got the same sense from Henson, comfortable with his height and build and an athleticism/fluidity to match).

Where I disagree is, I think he is a back to the basket player in the sense that I think he is most comfortable on the low block with his back to the basket or moving in the flow of the offense from that position. (As an aside, I think that is one of Singler's best attributes that he doesn't take advantage of enough.) I saw Plumlee energetically posting up or setting low screens or defending Favors on the low block. He was one of the few guys trying to play a "real" game - setting screens, boxing out, playing defense, etc. The more I saw of him this weekend, the more I saw Laettner in him. Laettner was ranked similarly coming out of high school FWIW. Before Laettner was a 50% three point shooter, his best offensive attributes were low post positioning and his ability to seal off defenders to create passing lanes for Hurley, Hill, Hill and others. How many lob passes into the post did Hurley make to Laettner in their three years together? I can see Plumlee being that kind of post player and developing an overall inside-outside offensive game similar to the way Laettner did. Based on what I saw, which of course is very limited, I would be surprised if Plumlee didn't start next year along with Singler, Scheyer, Smith (primary PG duties) and Williams. That is a dangerous team offensively and defensively.

And a bench of Thomas, Kelly, Zoubek, Plumlee and perhaps Bledsoe would give Coach K a lot of lineup options from small to big.

Double DD
04-03-2009, 12:34 PM
DraftExpress's breakdown of Plumlee's performance in the game and a private scrimmage, which was apparently much more competitive.

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/High-School-AAU/#Player-Evaluations-McDonaldas-All-American-Game-West-Team--3161

This future Duke big man is quite an interesting prospect, combining great size with terrific athleticism and a budding skill-level, which gives him great upside to continue to develop down the road. Plumlee (#19 Scout, #42 Rivals, #11 ESPN) made some truly jaw-dropping plays in the private scrimmage the day before the real game, exploding off the ground for some highlight reel caliber plays that made both benches erupt with glee. He’s quick off his feet, extremely explosive and has a real penchant for the spectacular, as he displayed in the dunk contest as well.

Plumlee can put the ball on the floor a bit and is also capable of knocking down an occasional 3-pointer, while his leaping ability makes him quite a presence on the offensive glass. His limitations are pretty glaring though, as he lacks the strength or footwork to do much of anything with his back to the basket, and despite his nice touch, is still too streaky from the outside to be relied on as much of a perimeter threat at this stage. His body and feel for the game need quite a bit of work as well, but there is no doubt that he’s a player to keep an eye on down the road, as he could become a very high-level prospect as he fills out and gains more experience.

moonpie23
04-03-2009, 12:59 PM
from DraftXpress.com (http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/High-School-AAU/#Player-Evaluations-McDonaldas-All-American-Game-West-Team--3161)

Ryan Kelly, 6-9, Power Forward, Committed to Duke- Kelly (#11 Scout, #20 Rivals, #11 ESPN) was arguably the most impressive player seen in the skill-based portion of the practice, as he’s an incredibly skilled big man with outstanding fundamentals. All the drills came very naturally to him, and he executed them with the greatest of ease, in text-book fashion. His ability to knock down jumpers from stand-still or off the dribble situations is going to get him playing time right away at Duke, and he’s also a solid athlete with a nice feel for the game from what he showed. Due to the lack of wing players on his roster (including Stephenson), Kelly was forced to play the small forward position during the scrimmage, which obviously isn’t his forte. It was interesting to see how seriously he took the proceedings today, unlike many of his teammates, something Coach K obviously would have enjoyed seeing.

MAG0297
04-03-2009, 01:12 PM
Didn't mean to come off sounding like I thought Plumlee couldn't develop into a back to the basket player, just simply think he won't be that effective with his back to the basket next season. With weight and strength increases, he could certainly be effective with his back to the basket. Having said that, I think he can instantly help us next year at the five, as I said above.

That draftnet link above also says some very encouraging things about Kelly!

Wheat/"/"/"
04-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Keep in mind that Ed Davis could very well leave too. He's projected to go in the lottery if he leaves and is a surefire first round pick. I'm hoping he goes pro.

Forgive me in advance for being long winded, the weather is poor and I have a day off....

Davis could definately be a first rounder if he wants to be, but with his pedigree and upside, I would be very surprised if he decides to move on. He has to know that one more year to mature likely moves him into the lottery in '10.
These type of kids, especially the big kids, come to UNC for their grooming as NBA players, and they have a plan. I think it is understood to be a two year plan.

Marvin Williams was an exception, mainly because he won a title and was already way up the draft board and had little room to improve. I also remember him as being a little more physically ready at this point than Davis is.

I'd say Henson is on the same two year plan too.
Zeller was, but with the injury may stay three.

The gap between UNC and Duke will be much smaller next year, but looking at the likely teams, I'd say UNC still has to be the favorite. The inside game will be too much for Duke, again.

BTW, I really thought Duke had a great year. That team exceeded my expectations with the talent level they had this year. And I really do consider myself a Duke "fan" even tho I will pull for UNC to beat you guys every time.

I follow Duke basketball very closely, along with UNC, which is what a "fan" does by my definition.

For some of you, statements like that are too much to take, I know. But hey, I can live with that.

I didn't attend either school, so I have no baggage to worry about. I just like to follow the games and the player development of two of the best teams in the game year after year. And I have for way too many years:)

I like all of College basketball, it's just that it takes too much time for me to follow everybody else as closely as I do Duke/UNC.

As for Drew, He will never be Ty Lawson. Not that type of point guard. He is a Jimmy Black type, and has the possibility to become a Kenny Smith type if he can develop his scoring.

I only saw Plumlee in the limited play of the MDAA game. I liked what I saw, he's a typical skilled and fluid big man that K likes to get that has attitude and hustle. What's not to like?

K rarely recruits the Elton Brand sort of player. Just the way it is. In fact Brand and maybe Boozer are the only two out of that type of mold I can come up with off the top of my head he's ever recruited, wait, maybe Gene Banks, but that's not many with that bruiser low post attitude over all those years.

K's a smart coach and managed to win a few titles his way, so I just sit back an watch how he chooses to put his team on the floor as a "fan" and challenge myself to try and figure out who's team is better at game time, UNC or Duke?. Who can impose their will?

That's the fun part for me.

TheBrianZoubekExperience
04-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Yeah, I really have no idea if he'll leave. I'm just hoping he does. ESPN has Davis ranked as the #6 guy in the draft right now. If his stock rises to the point that he's nearly guaranteed to be in the lottery this year than that might be enough to cause him to leave like Brandan Wright.

CDu
04-03-2009, 05:04 PM
K rarely recruits the Elton Brand sort of player. Just the way it is. In fact Brand and maybe Boozer are the only two out of that type of mold I can come up with off the top of my head he's ever recruited, wait, maybe Gene Banks, but that's not many with that bruiser low post attitude over all those years.

Shelden Williams was in the same mold as Brand in terms of being a banger inside (though clearly not as polished offensively as Brand or Boozer). Banks wasn't recruited by Coach K. He was there a few years before Coach K arrived. Regardless, I wouldn't consider Banks in the Brand/Boozer/Williams mold of bruising low post player.

Devilsfan
04-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Isn't the Smith high schooler from Wash. out of that mold?

mr. synellinden
04-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Isn't the Smith high schooler from Wash. out of that mold?

As is Blake griffin whom we recruited. Can you imagine this year's team with him?

MChambers
04-03-2009, 09:19 PM

Please define the "Elton Brand sort of player". He was pretty close to one of a kind, at least when you combine on the court and off the court.

Seriously, name another player who combined Brand's low post game and being a seriously good person. Maybe Greg Oden?

MChambers
04-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Shelden Williams was in the same mold as Brand in terms of being a banger inside (though clearly not as polished offensively as Brand or Boozer). Banks wasn't recruited by Coach K. He was there a few years before Coach K arrived. Regardless, I wouldn't consider Banks in the Brand/Boozer/Williams mold of bruising low post player.

Shelden was a wonderful player, but he was a least one rung below Elton. Elton was a star from day one. Elton was so much quicker than Shelden. Not even close.

Double DD
04-04-2009, 06:13 AM
DX's final analysis of Kelly's week here. Hopefully the bolded section will help ease some of the hand-wringing about Kelly and his work ethic that was going on in this thread, amusing as it was to watch on this and other message boards.:p

There isn’t a great deal of new information to add to Ryan Kelly’s (#11 Scout, #20 Rivals, #12 ESPN) profile from the last time we saw him. He’s still the same highly skilled, yet physically underdeveloped big man who looks to be at his best when facing the basket, as he showed by winning the 3-point contest, while putting on a terrific shooting display. Kelly can shoot the ball spotting up or off the dribble, and clearly already has range out to the college 3-point line, which is quite an asset at his position. He’s a decent athlete as well, but lacks the strength to be much of a presence with his back to the basket, and struggles at times getting pushed around in the paint defensively and on the glass. He is a very smart, unselfish and highly competitive player, though, which leaves plenty of room for optimism regarding his ability to develop into a terrific college player as his body continues to fill out. He was one of the few players who actually came here to work this week, something that Coach K obviously would have loved to see.
http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/High-School-AAU/#Player-Evaluations-McDonaldas-All-American-Game-West-Team--3161

Wheat/"/"/"
04-04-2009, 06:37 AM
Please define the "Elton Brand sort of player".

Big man that plays his game close to the basket, strong with power moves. A "banger".

I could name a hundred that fit the mold, from Haywood to Blair. All varying degrees of talent, but that's the sort of player K just rarely recruits was my only point. Off court issues were not a consideration.

Williams could fit the mold, I guess, but still the point is that's not very many...

Banks was a stretch I know, which further illustrates the point. I wasn't sure if he was a K recruit or not, too lazy to look it up. Thanks for the correction.

MChambers
04-04-2009, 07:45 AM
Big man that plays his game close to the basket, strong with power moves. A "banger".

I could name a hundred that fit the mold, from Haywood to Blair. All varying degrees of talent, but that's the sort of player K just rarely recruits was my only point. Off court issues were not a consideration.

Williams could fit the mold, I guess, but still the point is that's not very many...

Banks was a stretch I know, which further illustrates the point. I wasn't sure if he was a K recruit or not, too lazy to look it up. Thanks for the correction.

Duke usually looks for mobility in big men, as I think you've noted previously. Duke does recruit some bangers. For example, Duke recruited Patterson, but he chose UK.

I generally agree with your point, but when you said Elton Brand type of player, I got confused, because there aren't many of those!

whereinthehellami
04-04-2009, 08:48 AM
Forgive me in advance for being long winded, the weather is poor and I have a day off....

Davis could definately be a first rounder if he wants to be, but with his pedigree and upside, I would be very surprised if he decides to move on. He has to know that one more year to mature likely moves him into the lottery in '10.
These type of kids, especially the big kids, come to UNC for their grooming as NBA players, and they have a plan. I think it is understood to be a two year plan.

Marvin Williams was an exception, mainly because he won a title and was already way up the draft board and had little room to improve. I also remember him as being a little more physically ready at this point than Davis is.

I'd say Henson is on the same two year plan too.
Zeller was, but with the injury may stay three.

The gap between UNC and Duke will be much smaller next year, but looking at the likely teams, I'd say UNC still has to be the favorite. The inside game will be too much for Duke, again.

BTW, I really thought Duke had a great year. That team exceeded my expectations with the talent level they had this year. And I really do consider myself a Duke "fan" even tho I will pull for UNC to beat you guys every time.

I follow Duke basketball very closely, along with UNC, which is what a "fan" does by my definition.

For some of you, statements like that are too much to take, I know. But hey, I can live with that.

I didn't attend either school, so I have no baggage to worry about. I just like to follow the games and the player development of two of the best teams in the game year after year. And I have for way too many years:)

I like all of College basketball, it's just that it takes too much time for me to follow everybody else as closely as I do Duke/UNC.

As for Drew, He will never be Ty Lawson. Not that type of point guard. He is a Jimmy Black type, and has the possibility to become a Kenny Smith type if he can develop his scoring.

I only saw Plumlee in the limited play of the MDAA game. I liked what I saw, he's a typical skilled and fluid big man that K likes to get that has attitude and hustle. What's not to like?

K's a smart coach and managed to win a few titles his way, so I just sit back an watch how he chooses to put his team on the floor as a "fan" and challenge myself to try and figure out who's team is better at game time, UNC or Duke?. Who can impose their will?

That's the fun part for me.

UNC might have the edge in the frontcourt but Duke's will be very experienced.

UNC backcourt, unless Roy steals Wall, will be another story. Drew might be good but he is no Lawson and will be inexperienced compared to the Duke backcourt.

I like Duke's chances if UNC doesn't get Wall for at least a split.

79cane
04-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Went to the McD's AA game and had great seats-huge difference from trying to watch on TV, as it is a glorified pickup game. Nevertheless, the amount of talent on the floor in one game was very impressive.
Good: Mason Plumlee - he was as tall as anyone on the court, definitely a legit 6'10" or maybe more. He is an athletic small forward in a big forward's body heightwise-still has to fill out/strengthen as Singler did last year. He played as hard and as smart as anyone, and was as athletic as any big man on the floor. I will say unqualifiedly he is the most athletic and talented big man we have ever had-obviously have to wait and see if he plays to his potential. Kelly-although the least athletic player on the floor he has a good stroke and obviously has made himself a player through hard work. He will be a four year guy who will start to contribute in his soph year.
Wear twins: unsure of themselves, obviously not respected talentwise by other players on court-they will be role players but could be effective as such.
Bad: John Henson-he may look like he's 14 years old at most and only weigh 180 (his listed wt of 200 is complete BS) but he is just as athletic as Plumlee, and has the arms of an 8 footer-you cannot believe how long they are until you see it up close. He is so skinny he will be at unc at least two years.

Truth
04-06-2009, 08:54 PM
I will say unqualifiedly he is the most athletic and talented big man we have ever had-obviously have to wait and see if he plays to his potential.

Lofty praise, indeed. I fear you may be walking into a lion's den making that comment with your first post here.

I, too, think that Mason is an extremely gifted athlete, but I would urge extreme hesitation before labeling him as the most athletic big man Duke has ever had.

79cane
04-07-2009, 08:27 PM
I do not pass out praise lightly-see my comments on Kelly. I am not saying he is the best BB player we have ever recruited, but he is the most natural athletically talented big we have ever had-I go back to 1970. Could not tell re his distance shooting abilities but he can handle ball, pass, defend, block shots, rebound, and manuever offensively down low in the post, all with a smooth grace.

kramerbr
04-07-2009, 08:36 PM
I do not pass out praise lightly-see my comments on Kelly. I am not saying he is the best BB player we have ever recruited, but he is the most natural athletically talented big we have ever had-I go back to 1970. Could not tell re his distance shooting abilities but he can handle ball, pass, defend, block shots, rebound, and manuever offensively down low in the post, all with a smooth grace.

I would consider McRoberts a pretty naturally-athletically-talented big man.

79cane
04-07-2009, 08:51 PM
He was, but no comparison to Plumlee.

chrisheery
04-07-2009, 08:55 PM
I would consider McRoberts a pretty naturally-athletically-talented big man.

I never saw McRoberts have to duck his head to avoid hitting it on the rim. He was a good athlete, but Plumlee looks to be in another class to my eye.

We'll see I suppose.

cape cod
04-08-2009, 11:10 AM
I have to agree with 79cane. I'm tight fisted when giving credit, but Mason Plumlee displayed a lot of gifts in the MickyD game. He's heady, tough, and athletically gifted (he can leap, run and has good hands). He may not be as wide as Brand, but neither was Leightner. I'm optimistic.

cape cod
04-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Maybe I'll remember how to spell it, now.