PDA

View Full Version : MBB: (3) North Carolina 89, NC State 80

wolfpackdevil
02-18-2009, 04:52 PM
The Tar holes are hosting the Wolfpack tonight at the Museum, and I think it will be better than predicted to be.

State is on a 2-game winning streak, and is playing their best ball of the season. They have scored 82, and 86 points in their 2 wins.

The team playing great transition offense, and saturday at GT, they played some of the best halfcourt defense I have seen in a while, holding Gani Lawal to 7 points and 4 rebounds.

Carolina is on a tear since losing to WF.

I think the game will be close for 30 minutes, and then Carolina will pull away.

But I do think this is one to watch

Cameron
02-18-2009, 08:25 PM
State holding close as predicted. It is 19-19 with 11:05 to play in the first.

Cameron
02-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Tyler Zeller has just been inserted into the lineup.

Guess that answers all questions.

davekay1971
02-18-2009, 08:33 PM
And Mac ran right around him for a layup. If Ol' Roy thinks Zellar, coming off an injury, is going to be able to at all contain Mac, Costner, or Smith, he's just plain stupid.

BTW, Hans has airballed an 18 footer, bricked another 18 footer, and airballed a turnaround jumper. Can we officially put to rest the notion that this gimp has any game at all outside putbacks, that wierd shot-put thing, and free-throws?

Cameron
02-18-2009, 08:34 PM
For those who don't have Raycom, Carolina leads State by two, 28 to 26, with six minutes left in the first.

davekay1971
02-18-2009, 08:35 PM
And another Beaker turnaround off the front of the rim. If this kid wins player of the year again, it's a travesty.

Gonzalez 3 for 3 from 3 point land. If he can hit from outside consistently, NCSU is a different team.

Cameron
02-18-2009, 08:46 PM
39 to 36 UNC at the half. State put on a nice run to end the half and keep its confidence up.

wolfpackdevil
02-18-2009, 09:01 PM
I knew this was gonna be a close game through 20 minutes.

Javi Gonzalez has 16 points and is playing great.

State needs to avoid any huge runs by carolina.

If fells gets goin, state has a chance

GO WOLFPACK!!

Wheat/"/"/"
02-18-2009, 10:12 PM
Can we officially put to rest the notion that this gimp has any game at all outside putbacks, that wierd shot-put thing, and free-throws?

Nah, I don't think so, spank you very much. Again.
27pts-7rb's...and some good outside D too.

BTW, very nice coaching game by Roy.
Also, TZ played tentitive. He is way behind mentally, but I like the minutes RW gave him, especially alongside Davis.

jipops
02-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Nah, I don't think so, spank you very much. Again.
27pts-7rb's...and some good outside D too.

BTW, very nice coaching game by Roy.
Also, TZ played tentitive. He is way behind mentally, but I like the minutes RW gave him, especially alongside Davis.

Good D, really? State scored 44 pts in the 2nd and shot 54% for the game AT the Dome. I skipped the 2nd half to watch Lost so I'm just going on what the statistics provide, which don't seem to indicate good D.

Dukeford
02-18-2009, 11:02 PM
And Mac ran right around him for a layup. If Ol' Roy thinks Zellar, coming off an injury, is going to be able to at all contain Mac, Costner, or Smith, he's just plain stupid.

BTW, Hans has airballed an 18 footer, bricked another 18 footer, and airballed a turnaround jumper. Can we officially put to rest the notion that this gimp has any game at all outside putbacks, that wierd shot-put thing, and free-throws?

Umm, sometimes he hits 3-pointers....and I have seen him dunk on an alley oop pass before.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-18-2009, 11:39 PM
Good D, really? State scored 44 pts in the 2nd and shot 54% for the game AT the Dome. I skipped the 2nd half to watch Lost so I'm just going on what the statistics provide, which don't seem to indicate good D.

I was talking about TH's perimeter D, not team D. He was in McCauley's(I think) grill quite a bit and moved his feet pretty good.

UNC did have 12 steals, and thats a good D stat. Give State credit, they hit some tough contested shots. But once again UNC got lazy in spurts. They frustrate me to no end. There were stretches when they looked good defensively and then would get up 14, then get lazy on defense like they know they are going to just score when they want to anyways.
That's going to bite them in the behind.

Stray Gator
02-18-2009, 11:54 PM
I was talking about TH's perimeter D, not team D. He was in McCauley's(I think) grill quite a bit and moved his feet pretty good.

UNC did have 12 steals, and thats a good D stat. Give State credit, they hit some tough contested shots. But once again UNC got lazy in spurts. They frustrate me to no end. There were stretches when they looked good defensively and then would get up 14, then get lazy on defense like they know they are going to just score when they want to anyways.
That's going to bite them in the behind.

I was thinking the same thing, Wheat. Lots of Duke fans and observers are buzzing openly about the possibility that this Duke team may be sliding into the same late-season slump that led to such unsatisfying results at the end of the last few years. But it appears to me that this Carolina team may also be starting to exhibit a familiar flaw that has shown up in the latter part of recent seasons--a tendency to relax and play on cruise control early in games and in stretches after they build a lead, with an almost smirking confidence that they can turn on the A game when and if it's needed. I'm sure that may be a little unsettling to their most perceptive fans.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-19-2009, 12:01 AM
Good to run across you again there, Stray.

They drive me nuts sometimes :)

Note: Was trying to edit for clarity back there and double posted. Must be time to call it a night.

Wander
02-19-2009, 01:00 AM
Can we officially put to rest the notion that this gimp has any game at all outside putbacks, that wierd shot-put thing, and free-throws?

Hansbrough is an average player if you take away his ability to get free throws.

However, that's exactly like saying JJ Redick is an average player if you take away his shooting ability.

Edouble
02-19-2009, 01:36 AM
Hansbrough is an average player if you take away his ability to get free throws.

However, that's exactly like saying JJ Redick is an average player if you take away his shooting ability.

All he said was that he was a gimp. He didn't say anything about being average.

elvis14
02-19-2009, 08:57 AM

The difference is that Hansblahblah has to rely on the refs and that's subjective. There's nothing subjective about JJ's shooting ability, it's just there. Hansputz is far better than average even without all the help he gets from the refs. That's actually what makes the help he gets so frustrating! He's really good. When you add in assistance from the refs, he's an All American. Sad but true 9F. When did this become a UNC board anyway?

MulletMan
02-19-2009, 09:12 AM
I was thinking the same thing, Wheat. Lots of Duke fans and observers are buzzing openly about the possibility that this Duke team may be sliding into the same late-season slump that led to such unsatisfying results at the end of the last few years. But it appears to me that this Carolina team may also be starting to exhibit a familiar flaw that has shown up in the latter part of recent seasons--a tendency to relax and play on cruise control early in games and in stretches after they build a lead, with an almost smirking confidence that they can turn on the A game when and if it's needed. I'm sure that may be a little unsettling to their most perceptive fans.

I think this sort of confidence was evident very early on in the first half when State was up... I think... 16-9. I think. In any case, UNC got a hoop, a TO on the next posession which turned into a Green dunk, and then a run out off of a miss that Lawson dropped back to Ellington for a three. As El Sid called timeout, Raycom showed Ellington mugging for the camera all the way back down court. So if UNC had ocntinued at that pace, they'd have been up 20 at half. Instead, they shut it down and were up 3. They're like a sports car where the driver revs the engine every once in a while.

Slackerb
02-19-2009, 10:10 AM
I think it's a bit of hyperbole to suggest they can score at will like that and that the opposition has nothing to say about the matter.

It's one thing to contend that UNC gets lazy when they are up, but to suggest that they could just continue to dominate if only they wanted to is absurd.

Good game last night....State played well, but Carolina is just better. State, despite the loss, is playing their best ball so far this year and is a scary team heading into the home stretch.

Klemnop
02-19-2009, 10:17 AM
Jason Evans, Come On Down! You're the next contestant on "It's 1998 Again".

Highlander
02-19-2009, 10:18 AM
I think this sort of confidence was evident very early on in the first half when State was up... I think... 16-9. I think. In any case, UNC got a hoop, a TO on the next posession which turned into a Green dunk, and then a run out off of a miss that Lawson dropped back to Ellington for a three. As El Sid called timeout, Raycom showed Ellington mugging for the camera all the way back down court. So if UNC had ocntinued at that pace, they'd have been up 20 at half. Instead, they shut it down and were up 3. They're like a sports car where the driver revs the engine every once in a while.

I watched a bit of the second half. From about 7 min to go until 2 minutes to go, UNC got points on every single offensive possession. Most of the time they got a good shot within the first 7-10s of the shot clock. Basically what I saw went like this - State comes down, plays 20-30s of offense to try and get a good shot, hits 50% of the time, Carolina sprints down the court and gets a layup or good shot 100% of the time. It is tough to catch up to a team if you can't get defensive stops, and State couldn't stop UNC in the second half.

I didn't think UNC's defense looked that bad. State's defense OTOH was just horrible, or UNC made it look horrible in the 2nd half. They pretty much got whatever they wanted on offense. I also noticed that UNC never took their foot of the gas and quit running until about 2 min to go in the game, even when his team had a 15 point lead. Duke typically goes into a delay in that situation and tries to burn clock. Not saying one strategy is better/worse than the other, but it certainly was different from what I'm used to seeing.

davekay1971
02-19-2009, 11:11 AM
For the record, while I openly deride Beaker and have, possibly, called him a gimp, I don't think he's a remotely average player. He's an extremely productive offensive player, no matter what you (or I) may think of the fairness in the way his play is refereed. My venom toward Beaker derives from a few points: (1) the color blue he wears; (2) the "Hey, I'm a star, I should get that call" attitude he's developed over the last two years; and (3) the vast disparity between his hype and his actual game. For point 3, that's more a media problem than a Beaker problem - he can't help that commentators and analysts have hyped him up to be the 2nd coming, when he's probably not the best player on his own team (I give that to Lawson, who has finally, to my great dismay, raised his play to match his ability). He's a very good player with a very high motor, and that combination accounts for a lot of his production...and his ppg and rpg, as well as his career numbers indicate that he is a very, very productive low post player. But he is also a mediocre post defender, a lousy passer out of the post, and his offensive skill set is limited - his shot from mid range and beyond is highly suspect.

jdc75
02-19-2009, 12:02 PM
For the record, while I openly deride Beaker and have, possibly, called him a gimp, I don't think he's a remotely average player. He's an extremely productive offensive player, no matter what you (or I) may think of the fairness in the way his play is refereed. My venom toward Beaker derives from a few points: (1) the color blue he wears; (2) the "Hey, I'm a star, I should get that call" attitude he's developed over the last two years; and (3) the vast disparity between his hype and his actual game. For point 3, that's more a media problem than a Beaker problem - he can't help that commentators and analysts have hyped him up to be the 2nd coming, when he's probably not the best player on his own team (I give that to Lawson, who has finally, to my great dismay, raised his play to match his ability). He's a very good player with a very high motor, and that combination accounts for a lot of his production...and his ppg and rpg, as well as his career numbers indicate that he is a very, very productive low post player. But he is also a mediocre post defender, a lousy passer out of the post, and his offensive skill set is limited - his shot from mid range and beyond is highly suspect.

I totally agree with your post here DK71 and always enjoy your posts relating to our favorite drama queen, beaker. I don't know the kid so I can't say I dislike him personally, but I can't think of any other player in 40 years of watching college hoops I have ever despised more as a player. I'm just so tired of his whole act...

Indoor66
02-19-2009, 12:47 PM
I totally agree with your post here DK71 and always enjoy your posts relating to our favorite drama queen, beaker. I don't know the kid so I can't say I dislike him personally, but I can't think of any other player in 40 years of watching college hoops I have ever despised more as a player. I'm just so tired of his whole act...

I don't really disagree with your beaker view, but THE greatest and most disgusting drama queen on a basketball court had to be Ivory Latta, the light blue queen of feigned injury and insult.

pfrduke
02-19-2009, 05:08 PM

It will be interesting to see what the post-season accolades look like for him this year. A good argument could be made that he's only the third-best player on his team, behind Lawson (who's been superb since UNC started 0-2 and is clearly the key to their success) and Ellington (who has been ridiculously good lately). I assume that he'll still be 1st-team all-ACC, and possibly 1st-team all-American, because he was "supposed" to be, but when all is said and done, he may not actually have put together the kind of campaign that is really deserving of those awards.

None of which is to say he can't go out and average 30-15 for the last few games, but to this date he's been less impressive than he was last year.

Johnboy
02-19-2009, 05:45 PM
I can't think of any other player in 40 years of watching college hoops I have ever despised more as a player. I'm just so tired of his whole act...

Off the top of my head (and this list only goes back about 30 years):

Makhtar Ndiaye
Rasheed Wallace
Matt Doherty
Vince Carter
Joe Forte
King Rice
JR Reid
Ed Cota
Warren Martin

. . . and there are so many others.

There have been a lot of Carolina players to despise through the years, but despite his "act" I wouldn't put TH on my list.

On the flip side, I have to thank Steve Hale and Ademola Okulaja for being the subject of two of the best taunts we've ever issued in Cameron.

sandinmyshoes
02-19-2009, 06:11 PM
It will be interesting to see what the post-season accolades look like for him this year. A good argument could be made that he's only the third-best player on his team, behind Lawson (who's been superb since UNC started 0-2 and is clearly the key to their success) and Ellington (who has been ridiculously good lately). I assume that he'll still be 1st-team all-ACC, and possibly 1st-team all-American, because he was "supposed" to be, but when all is said and done, he may not actually have put together the kind of campaign that is really deserving of those awards.

None of which is to say he can't go out and average 30-15 for the last few games, but to this date he's been less impressive than he was last year.

It has seemed to me that his game is off this season. But when I checked the stats, he's still the leagues leading scorer, and in the top ten in a number of other categories. So the "supposed" to be would seem statistically sound.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-19-2009, 11:54 PM

I think its a no brainer he's 1st team all ACC. 1st team All America is probable, but I could see him sliding to 2nd team, according to how the tourney goes.

I think you could argue he's the 4th most talented player on the team, but you can't argue he's not the best player on the team with anybody but Lawson.

Every coach that prepares to play UNC begins with, "How do I defend TH".
After they make the decision to double him, which they always seem to do, they are telling the defenders to not give up the 3 point play. Foul him hard if you have to foul at all, but don't let him get the shot off. Make him work for it...he still gets 20.

Then coaches turn their attention to how do we stop TL's penetration and speed up the floor in transition?
Next it's what do we do if DG and WE are making outside shots? Finally it's let's take our chances with DT.

It all starts with TH. His numbers are a little down for several reasons, the main one is the team is much more balanced and is pretty unselfish. The other relates to injuries. And finally, officials are allowing the hard/rough play on him that they did not allow in the past.