PDA

View Full Version : Article in the NY Times about Coach K

jwillfan
02-18-2009, 04:40 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/19/sports/ncaabasketball/19araton.html

"He wrote many names on a board, candidates to coach and play, and gave everyone a few minutes to speak. When it was Dean Smith’s turn, he told basketball’s elite, gathered by Colangelo in June 2005 at the National Italian American Sports Hall of Fame in Chicago: “There’s only one college coach up there who can get the job done — and that’s Coach K.”

How do you not take note when Carolina Guy wholeheartedly endorses the man from Duke?"

throatybeard
02-18-2009, 04:46 PM

"He wrote many names on a board, candidates to coach and play, and gave everyone a few minutes to speak. When it was Dean Smith’s turn, he told basketball’s elite, gathered by Colangelo in June 2005 at the National Italian American Sports Hall of Fame in Chicago: “There’s only one college coach up there who can get the job done — and that’s Coach K.”

How do you not take note when Carolina Guy wholeheartedly endorses the man from Duke?"

That's pretty sweet. Dean Smith's parents, IIRC, both lived into their 90s. Dean is about 78, but I would hope that longevity gives K and Dean some time to sit on the proverbial rocking chair to trade stories, even though Dean is Silent Gen and K is Boom.

Indoor66
02-18-2009, 04:52 PM
That's pretty sweet. Dean Smith's parents, IIRC, both lived into their 90s. Dean is about 78, but I would hope that longevity gives K and Dean some time to sit on the proverbial rocking chair to trade stories, even though Dean is Silent Gen and K is Boom.

My son, who regularly sees Dean, tells me that he has been sick and has slipped dramatically over the past year. I, too, wish him the best.

77devil
02-18-2009, 05:01 PM

The quote from Dean has been in circulation but it can't be emphasised enough how fortunate we are as members of the Duke community to have Coach K leading the basketball program and representing the university. This article will no doubt be more fodder for the Coach K/Duke haters but so be it.

I am curious how the faithful in Chapel Hell react to such a quote from their beloved coach, and notwithstanding Throaty's well founded sentiment, I hope it will be a long time before they are telling stories on the porch.

miramar
02-18-2009, 05:05 PM
I remember in one of Feinstein's books that during one Duke-UNC game, Coach K told his assistants something to the effect that "Shoot me if I ever start acting like that guy." Feinstein did not describe a good relationship at all, but it seems that things have improved between the two of them, which is a good thing.

Incidentally, Dean did a really good job with the Olympic team in 1976, with John Thompson as one of his assistants.

Lord Ash
02-18-2009, 05:10 PM
I do think that an under-estimated aspect of K is the fact that he is a veteran and a West Point grad. Now obviously we Duke folks know it, and the world generally knows it, but the actual understanding of what attending the Point means, and everything that goes with it, is something that I think a lot of Americans simply don't understand. He was a perfect pick for the job.

MChambers
02-18-2009, 08:49 PM

It's not like El Deano said that Coach K was the only coach, college or pro, who could get the job done. Isn't Popovich considered to be in the UNC lineage, sort of, thru his association with one L. Brown? (Although Popovich doesn't seem to coach with his suitcase packed.)

Still, it is nice that Dean spoke up for Coach K. Dean does have some very admirable qualities and a few others as well.

duketaylor
02-18-2009, 10:58 PM
Ash posted K is a Vet, didn't think that was the case, if I'm wrong I apologize. Also, I heard an interview when Colangelo that was on K's XM show about the selection process for the Olympic coach. It went something like this; Colangelo had several previous Olympic coaches and players get together for a dinner and discussion with the purpose of making recommendations for the next Olympic coach. Both Michael Jordan and Dean Smith recommended K, and while Larry Brown, Popovich and a few others were discussed, it was K that almost everyone agreed was the best pick. It was an awesome interview and very revealing about how much respect K has in the hoops community. He has also had Kobe on his show, Sir Charles, and many more, just simply some incredible insight into the game and the respect he deserves. Jerry Colangelo was a great interview regarding the selection process.

DukeVol
02-19-2009, 07:59 AM
Ash posted K is a Vet, didn't think that was the case, if I'm wrong I apologize.

Coach K graduated from West Point and retired from the Army as a Captain. That would indeed make him a military veteran.

blueprofessor
02-19-2009, 08:57 AM

...that Deano's endorsement eventually would partially divert K from from his job as Duke coach and recruiter to UNC's advantage!:D

Seriously, Smith told the truth...no big deal.I would expect the same from any coach who cared whether the US won the gold.

In many instances, Smith has acted in a petty manner, as when he refused to personally accept a gift presented to every visiting ACC coach during FSU's inaugural season. Every other coach was gracious in acknowledging the choreographed welcome and gift.
Best regards! Blueprofessor:):)

NYC Duke Fan
02-19-2009, 09:04 AM
If you have not already read it than do so, it is very complementary about Coach K , as it should be.

I do not know how to give a link to the article, so maybe someone who does could do so.

Thanks.