PDA

View Full Version : HS Team Intentionally Misses FT for Opposing Player

blazindw
02-17-2009, 08:50 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/basketball/boys/news/story?id=3914375

This is a pretty cool story...a kid on one team loses his mother and was not expected to play. When he shows up to play and is put in the game, the team is assessed a technical foul because he was not in the scorebook on the game roster. The other team's coach instructs his player to intentionally miss the technical free throws so that they don't gain an advantage from a grieving opponent who just wanted to play. Kudos to the coach and player on the other team for a great showing of sportsmanship.

sue71, esq
02-17-2009, 09:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/basketball/boys/news/story?id=3914375

This is a pretty cool story...a kid on one team loses his mother and was not expected to play. When he shows up to play and is put in the game, the team is assessed a technical foul because he was not in the scorebook on the game roster. The other team's coach instructs his player to intentionally miss the technical free throws so that they don't gain an advantage from a grieving opponent who just wanted to play. Kudos to the coach and player on the other team for a great showing of sportsmanship.

Thank you so much for posting this! It's a great lesson that coach taught his team, and I also applaud the other coach for recognizing it publicly.

chrisheery
02-17-2009, 10:56 PM
also, great line at the end of the article:

"Womack, in his letter to the DeKalb Daily Chronicle, added this at the end: "I'd like to recognize Darius who stepped up to miss the shot on purpose. He could have been selfish and cared only for his own stats [I hope Coach Rohlman doesn't make him run for missing the free throws].""

jv001
02-18-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks for a great story. In this world of "me first" attitudes, it's wonderful to see people like the coach and the young man that stepped forward and missed those FTs. God Bless the coach and young man.

allenmurray
02-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Thank you for posting that.

Indoor66
02-18-2009, 10:00 AM
An incredible story. There is heart in sports.