PDA

View Full Version : Zeller

TheBrianZoubekExperience
02-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Didn't see another post on this but Zeller might come back for UNC this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3911681

If someone already posted this, feel free to delete this.

I can certainly see why he may want to save his eligibility but he could give them another piece to a championship contender this year.

yancem
02-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Didn't see another post on this but Zeller might come back for UNC this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3911681

If someone already posted this, feel free to delete this.

I can certainly see why he may want to save his eligibility but he could give them another piece to a championship contender this year.

I was talking to a unc fan last night about this and I don't see much upside for him coming back with the exception of playing in the final four if they get there. On his side, he's likely a 4 year player and would loose a year of eligibility. On unc's side, I'm not sure he adds much to the team at this point since he has sat out the last several weeks and hasn't practiced or played with the rest of the team. He is likely rusty and out of shape and their front court is doing quite well without him. The only thing he can really offer at this point is extra fouls against a team with a big front line or insurance against another injury or bad foul problems.

It's hard to say know to possibly playing in the final four but I don't think it would be a very good idea.

CDu
02-17-2009, 03:18 PM
I was talking to a unc fan last night about this and I don't see much upside for him coming back with the exception of playing in the final four if they get there. On his side, he's likely a 4 year player and would loose a year of eligibility. On unc's side, I'm not sure he adds much to the team at this point since he has sat out the last several weeks and hasn't practiced or played with the rest of the team. He is likely rusty and out of shape and their front court is doing quite well without him. The only thing he can really offer at this point is extra fouls against a team with a big front line or insurance against another injury or bad foul problems.

It's hard to say know to possibly playing in the final four but I don't think it would be a very good idea.

I agree. To add to that, they have a pretty strong three-man rotation in the paint with Hansbrough, Thompson, and Davis. The lack of depth is on the wing, where they no longer have Ginyard and Graves.

I'm not saying that having Zeller would hurt the Heels, but he's not exactly a big impact player for this year's team.

TheBrianZoubekExperience
02-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Yeah, I think a lot depends on how close to 100% he is. If he's not close then I don't see a strong incentive to coming back. If he can come back close to 100% and can get meaningful minutes on a potential final four team then maybe its worth it to him use up a year of eligiblity.

I do agee that he's a four year player so he does need to weigh a whole year of eligibility against a short year with a potentially deep run.

JDev
02-17-2009, 03:40 PM
I was surprised to see that. He is certainly not the final ingredient needed, considering they have a pretty full pot as is (this soup metaphor doing anything for ya?). He would seemingly only get spot minutes, and if he is in fact a four-year player, you would think UNC would want to maximize those four years. They are a national championship favorite without him, and have arguably been playing their best basketball of late, when he has been unavailable. He obviously wouldn't hurt them, but they don't need him. With all they stand to lose after this year, and with the limited need for him immediately, it seems surprising to burn his redshirt.

TheBrianZoubekExperience
02-17-2009, 03:45 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3913807

Looks like he's coming back.

Edouble
02-17-2009, 03:51 PM
I think it's a very good idea to bring him back. Clearly, this is the year that UNC is making their final push to get this group to bring the National Championship to Chapel Hill. The time is now to get it done. If Zeller brings them even a teensy bit more help in some way, they should bring him in.

There's a good chance he's not a four year guy anyway, and that he'd pass on the chance to play a fifth year.

jv001
02-17-2009, 04:14 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3913807

Looks like he's coming back.

If he comes back maybe it will hurt their chemistry and they get worse rather than better. I don't see him helping that much except to give a few extra fouls and he loses a year of eligibility. Go Duke!

gw67
02-17-2009, 04:18 PM
I agree with Edouble. Zeller may not see himself as a four year player. He is a seven footer who runs the floor well, has good hands and a nice touch and was ahead of Davis when the season started. He was getting raves from the folks close to the UNC program during early practices. He may want to make sure that he is in the mix for major minutes next year with three bigs returning and three coming in (Will Roy play three at a time or will the Heels simply have the most impressive looking team at the airport?).

gw67

OZZIE4DUKE
02-17-2009, 05:58 PM
If he comes back, that would give them three Tyler's on the team. Must be some kind of record. Do Ty's go to the runner? :eek:

CDu
02-17-2009, 07:08 PM
If he comes back, that would give them three Tyler's on the team. Must be some kind of record. Do Ty's go to the runner? :eek:

Who is their third Tyler?

WojoSay?
02-17-2009, 07:08 PM
This could be good for JJ's record, but if Zeller is eating away at Hansbrough's points UNC could very well cut the nets down.

I'm still waiting for the UNC chemistry implosion. A man can dream right?

Matches
02-17-2009, 07:31 PM
I don't think he's a four year player, so there's really no downside to bringing him back unless there's a risk of re-injury. They may have as many as 15 games left, that's not chump change.

pfrduke
02-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Who is their third Tyler?

My guess is he thought Lawson. Who is obviously Tywon. Shortened, it's three Ty's.

superdave
02-17-2009, 09:20 PM
...Blake Griffin will be unanimous national player of the year.

COYS
02-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Zeller has a far more polished offensive game than Davis and has solid athleticism to boot. I actually don't think this is a bad move for the Heels as he can certainly give them some quality minutes and probably score some points. I certainly agree with everyone else who prays that this hurts the team chemistry, but we'll see.

MulletMan
02-17-2009, 10:34 PM
On the news here (in Durham) they just reported that Zeller will be available against NC State tomorrow at 8.

Roy said that he has been cleared to play... if he wants to. Stay classy, Roy!

eddiehaskell
02-18-2009, 05:13 AM
UNC needs Zeller, IMO. With the exception of Davis, their bench is pretty weak (Drew and Frasor).

They could almost have a blue team with Drew at point, Frasor at 2, Zeller at 5 and Davis at 4. :eek:

Wheat/"/"/"
02-18-2009, 09:26 AM
It was a big disappointment to see Zeller go down early in the season. I only saw those first two games, but he was very impressive for a freshman. He did everything much better than I expected from him. He will improve the team.

IMO, he's not a 4 year guy, probably 3, and maybe gone after next season. He looked that good at 7 ft. to me, mainly because he seemed much more ready offensively than other big freshmen we've seen lately that went after one..Ed Davis=NBA talent not ready offensively. Think B. Wright who still went after one.
One and done M. Williams was more comparable to Zeller offensively. MW stronger, Zeller smoother.

Zeller looked more polished with the ball than all three were/are as freshman in the early games I saw.

He has NBA skillz and size, no doubt. The obvious question is when he makes the jump? Since RW has repeatedly said it's his call, TZ thinks he's not a 4 year guy if he plays.

If UNC gets matched up with a big three in the tourney,(Pitt,Ok,UCONN) he will be very valuable. UNC would need to play very aggressive in the post and possibly need those 5 fouls.

The way UNC plays there is plenty of time for all. I've seen no "chemistry' issues with the team, no matter how bad you guys wish it so :)

They did get after Deon to play harder for a while there, but that was competitive stuff. Deon's quotes regarding Zeller returning seem genuine and positive.

RW runs his players hard in practice and the wrist didn't stop that. TZ is in shape I'm sure.

An interesting development to the season.

ClosetHurleyFan
02-18-2009, 09:47 AM
It was a big disappointment to see Zeller go down early in the season. I only saw those first two games, but he was very impressive for a freshman. He did everything much better than I expected from him. He will improve the team.

IMO, he's not a 4 year guy, probably 3, and maybe gone after next season. He looked that good at 7 ft. to me, mainly because he seemed much more ready offensively than other big freshmen we've seen lately that went after one..Ed Davis=NBA talent not ready offensively. Think B. Wright who still went after one.
One and done M. Williams was more comparable to Zeller offensively. MW stronger, Zeller smoother.

Zeller looked more polished with the ball than all three were/are as freshman in the early games I saw.

He has NBA skillz and size, no doubt. The obvious question is when he makes the jump? Since RW has repeatedly said it's his call, TZ thinks he's not a 4 year guy if he plays.

If UNC gets matched up with a big three in the tourney,(Pitt,Ok,UCONN) he will be very valuable. UNC would need to play very aggressive in the post and possibly need those 5 fouls.

The way UNC plays there is plenty of time for all. I've seen no "chemistry' issues with the team, no matter how bad you guys wish it so :)

They did get after Deon to play harder for a while there, but that was competitive stuff. Deon's quotes regarding Zeller returning seem genuine and positive.

RW runs his players hard in practice and the wrist didn't stop that. TZ is in shape I'm sure.

And lets face it, if Tyler comes in and gives a mere 15 minutes and say 6 points, 4 boards and can shoot face up jumpers from 10 to 15 and run the floor like a gazelle, that just loosens up defenses a bit more. A big man with range is a dangerous thing, frankly, I think one nuance to UNC's recent success that is going unnoted is the fact that Danny Green, at 6 6, 6, 7, is becoming deadly from 3. He has a much easier time getting his shot off against a good D just based on his sheer height. Tyler could bring the same added dimension but from the medium jumpshot spot on the floor. And not to mention just another thoroughbred to run the vaunted fast break.

Even if he doesnt make the final 4, he is an 18 year with huge basketball future. Whether its 10 15 or 20 games left this year, he has got to be itching to play. Only natural for an 18th year old MCDonald's all american.

jipops
02-18-2009, 10:29 AM

This is an interesting development and does make UNC that much more imposing. Zeller is a major talent even if he is inexperienced and possibly out of shape. Though it's not like he's going to have to log major minutes. Chemistry issues are nothing but wishful thinking on this board.

UrinalCake
02-18-2009, 10:58 AM
I wonder if it's in his head that there's a chance he could jump to the NBA after THIS season, and therefore now is the optimum time for him to come back? I know it sounds far-fetched, but stranger things have happened. The team is poised to make a deep tournament run, which is the best exposure a player can have. Next year's team will also be good, but I can't imagine them being better than this year's. I'm always amazed when NBA teams draft a guy based on one or two good games in the tournament, ignoring his play from the entire season... but that seems to be the way it is. So really all he'd have to do is have a couple of big games in March and everyone will be saying that he's phenomenal, and that the reason he didn't do more is that he was injured and then playing behind Hansborough. He seems to have the physical tools and the potential, so I bet people would tell him he has the potential to be drafted. From this standpoint, it makes sense for him to come back right now.

BD80
02-18-2009, 11:32 AM
... TZ thinks he's not a 4 year guy if he plays. ...

This is key. In Ty's mind, he is not giving up anything, and he will likely play in the final four, and there is a good chance he could play for a national champion. It would be a lot sweeter being in uniform than not. If he redshirts, he would not really feel like he earned a championship ring.

Frankly, having watched his brother play at ND, I never expected TZ to be an impact player. Based upon his play early this year, it is not unreasonable to see him going pro in a year or two. UNC is better with TZ available, and Roy is a good enough coach to take advantage of his return.

Biscuit
02-18-2009, 11:38 AM
This is key. In Ty's mind, he is not giving up anything, and he will likely play in the final four, and there is a good chance he could play for a national champion. It would be a lot sweeter being in uniform than not. If he redshirts, he would not really feel like he earned a championship ring.

Frankly, having watched his brother play at ND, I never expected TZ to be an impact player. Based upon his play early this year, it is not unreasonable to see him going pro in a year or two. UNC is better with TZ available, and Roy is a good enough coach to take advantage of his return.

I agree that he doesn't think he's a four year guy, and from what little I've seen I'd agree. He's way more athletic and has a much better touch than I expected.

It also should be mentioned that by all accounts he is a fantastic student and will graduate in four years. The idea of sticking around to play basketball after when you can get paid a lot of money to play basketball elsewhere probably is less appealing to someone with a degree than it might be to someone who is still a student. Old fashioned, I know.

jws
02-18-2009, 12:28 PM
He's a very talented kid and I think that to assume he's going to be a four year player is unfounded.

He's a 7 footer who can run the floor, play either the perimeter or the low post and is a good passer and shooter. If he stays four years, I think it will be because he decides he wants to, ala Tim Duncan, not because he wouldn't be drafted high.

Having said all that, if I were Roy, I'd advise against coming back this season, but if he's set on it and is completely healthy, I'm fine with letting Tyler decide for himself.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-18-2009, 06:03 PM
I wonder if it's in his head that there's a chance he could jump to the NBA after THIS season, and therefore now is the optimum time for him to come back?

Stranger things have happened, I guess. He would have to have some big games against some really good players to even consider it.
If some NBA team threw enough money at him, and is willing to wait to be paid off, who knows?

I really don't think he's thinking this year, just not staying all four.
He has to know he needs to get stronger. He has only played two games since high school, after all.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Having said all that, if I were Roy, I'd advise against coming back this season, but if he's set on it and is completely healthy, I'm fine with letting Tyler decide for himself.

I think 'ol Roy has handled this perfectly as a coach. You know he really wants him back, but for him to take the lead on that when there is a chance it could be a poor decision would not be wise.
Leaving the decision to the kid and his family was the smart thing to do.
Can you imagine RW telling him "you can't be a part of this team" when he really wanted to be?
Or imagine RW saying "this might not be in your best interest as a player, but we need you to make a run at the NC".

SupaDave
02-18-2009, 06:31 PM
I think 'ol Roy has handled this perfectly as a coach. You know he really wants him back, but for him to take the lead on that when there is a chance it could be a poor decision would not be wise.
Leaving the decision to the kid and his family was the smart thing to do.
Can you imagine RW telling him "you can't be a part of this team" when he really wanted to be?
Or imagine RW saying "this might not be in your best interest as a player, but we need you to make a run at the NC".

I recall this very thing happening with a player recently - wasn't that the situation with Frasor?

Wheat/"/"/"
02-18-2009, 10:19 PM
I recall this very thing happening with a player recently - wasn't that the situation with Frasor?

Not sure of your question...wasn't Frasor's situation pretty cut and dried that he was out for the season?

Wheat/"/"/"
02-18-2009, 10:23 PM
After watching TZ tonight, it's pretty clear he's way behind mentally on the floor and looked rusty physically too.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-18-2009, 10:28 PM

Oh, maybe you're thinking Ginyard. If that's the case, I think RW pulled the plug on him whether he wanted to play or not because he was definately not ready to return and was not likely to be this season.

InSpades
02-18-2009, 11:13 PM
It happened in the 2005-2006 season with Villanova. They had their best team in years (Allen Ray, Randy Foye) and Curtis Sumpter blew out his knee in October. They had a legitimate shot to make a run at the final four with Sumpter... without Sumpter they were extremely guard-heavy. It was somewhat different for Sumpter because it was his senior year and he had a questionable future playing basketball. He ended up taking the medical redshirt and coming back to play his senior year with a much worse Villanova team.

As a coach I think you have to advise the player to sit the year out but let him make the final decision. You can say Zeller isn't a 4-year player, but really we've only seen him play 2 games. Before the season started everyone was saying Plumlee was gonna start at center for Duke! A lot can change during a players freshman year. He's basically had one good game, and it was against an Ivy League team. As we have all seen, it's a lot different playing in the paint in the ACC than it is against lesser teams.

Vincetaylor
02-18-2009, 11:35 PM
I thought you guys were cleaning up the boards? Why is this rambling thread about a UNC player allowed when a good portion of constructive criticism of the Duke team is deleted all together?

Classof06
02-19-2009, 04:36 PM
I'll just echo the sentiment that if Zeller isn't going to stay 4 years in the first place (and it doesn't look like he will) then saving eligibility is really a non-issue. They have a chance to (and really should) win it all this year, so why not?

pfrduke
02-19-2009, 04:51 PM
I'll just echo the sentiment that if Zeller isn't going to stay 4 years in the first place (and it doesn't look like he will) then saving eligibility is really a non-issue. They have a chance to (and really should) win it all this year, so why not?

Even if he was going to stay four years, I can see the "being part of a national champion" aspect as huge personal incentive. Who knows how often in the next 3-4 years Carolina will be considered one of the 2-3 favorites to win the title? If I was in his shoes, the chance to actually play in a final four or for a title team might be worth a full year of eligibility, even if I planned to stay on campus until I graduated.

shadowfax336
02-19-2009, 06:19 PM
I thought you guys were cleaning up the boards? Why is this rambling thread about a UNC player allowed when a good portion of constructive criticism of the Duke team is deleted all together?

Because even if its "rambling" its been civil and its been discussing something relevant to Duke/ACC bball. Posts have for the most part been moving the conversation along, even if the pace isn't too your liking :)

(Not that I'm a mod, but I don't see what this would have to do with a crackdown on critical posts/posts that don't add anything to the discussion)

Hancock 4 Duke
02-19-2009, 06:34 PM
This answers your question. I just saw Zeller appear in the Unc vs. NC State game.