PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Tree Speculation

LSanders
02-17-2009, 01:01 AM
So ... UConn lost (Halle--[EDITED FOR LANGUAGE]--lujah!) ... which means OK will go to #1 ... which got me thinking ...

What happens to the Duke coaching tree and the potential line of succession if Capel could get a ring? I know we have to see if Capel can build a program, etc., etc., but does that bump him to the top of the list -- at least until JD or whomever can bump Capel from the list?

VAGentleman05
02-17-2009, 01:30 AM
I have no idea where he stands with regard to the Duke job, but I know I'd take Jeff in Charlottesville in a heartbeat. He was a winner at VCU, and he's doing a tremendous job at OU.

TwoDukeTattoos
02-17-2009, 01:38 AM
Dawkins seems to be a lot like the K brand. Perhaps a change in branding would do Duke some good down the road. If so, Capel would be the man. His career is still very young, however, he's proving quite rapidly that he's a very good coach and then some.

gethlives
02-17-2009, 08:23 AM
Since it all eventually comes back to Duke-Carolina, I as a Carolina fan encourage you to hire Jeff. The Capel Brothers, Jeff and Jason, though both fine players and now a fine coach and a fine announcer, did not fare particularly well in the rivalry. Their respective teams went 2-17 during their times at their schools.

Jeff (1-7)
Jason (1-10).

Here's hoping the tradition continues. :-)

CameronBornAndBred
02-17-2009, 08:26 AM
We have a few things for our benefit here, two which stand out to me. The first is that Coach K isn't planning on going anywhere anytime soon. Barring his health, I'm pretty sure he wants to coach for as long as he can, especially with 1000 wins in sight. The second is Dawkins left the nest. So we'll have a few years to see how he does on his own. If he succeeds, that's great. If he doesn't, then I'm sure whoever the AD is will take that into consideration. I would not be surprised to see at least one of the current coaches off on their own in another 3 to 5 years, either. Wojo and Collins will both be HC's somewhere, sooner than later. They are both young and experienced with what it takes to handle an elite program, so you know they will be looked at by a few programs. Besides, Paulus will be needing a job on the Duke bench before long, so someone needs to cough up their seat!

keithg
02-17-2009, 08:50 AM
"which means OK will go to #1"

I expect OK to lose in Austin on Saturday night...

Jarhead
02-17-2009, 09:45 AM
"which means OK will go to #1"

I expect OK to lose in Austin on Saturday night...

Not so, if last night's performance against the Aggies is considered. Yeah, Aggies 81, Longhorns 66.

allenmurray
02-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Since it all eventually comes back to Duke-Carolina, I as a Carolina fan encourage you to hire Jeff. The Capel Brothers, Jeff and Jason, though both fine players and now a fine coach and a fine announcer, did not fare particularly well in the rivalry. Their respective teams went 2-17 during their times at their schools.

What? I understand you are a Carolina fan (and one of the "good guys" as I recall from your posts). But Capel a fine announcer?

I was watching a game with a UNC fanatic friend of mine the other day who said, "I wish they'd get him off the air - he is ruining the good name of my University. He is more of a walking cliche machine than even Vitale.

gethlives
02-17-2009, 10:24 AM
What? I understand you are a Carolina fan (and one of the "good guys" as I recall from your posts). But Capel a fine announcer?

I was watching a game with a UNC fanatic friend of mine the other day who said, "I wish they'd get him off the air - he is ruining the good name of my University. He is more of a walking cliche machine than even Vitale.

You do need to understand that I turn down the sound for every Carolina game and listen to Woody Durham so I actually don't know what the announcers say or even how they say it. So I confess that I approach the younger Capel's announcing ability on a purely hypothetical basis but I remain eternally loyal, so I assume he is great. I find that rationality when it comes to discussing your basketball loyalties an inconvenient exercise especially for message boards

allenmurray
02-17-2009, 10:31 AM
You do need to understand that I turn down the sound for every Carolina game and listen to Woody Durham so I actually don't know what the announcers say or even how they say it. So I confess that I approach the younger Capel's announcing ability on a purely hypothetical basis but I remain eternally loyal, so I assume he is great. I find that rationality when it comes to discussing your basketball loyalties an inconvenient exercise especially for message boards

Well said. There are some UNC folks who do announcing that I've really liked (I really miss Brad Daugherty). Maybe Capel will grow into the role. Right now it simply sounds like he is trying to mimic every other announcer he has ever heard - though that may be him simply trying to find his own style at this early point in his career.

cruxer
02-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Well said. There are some UNC folks who do announcing that I've really liked (I really miss Brad Daugherty). Maybe Capel will grow into the role. Right now it simply sounds like he is trying to mimic every other announcer he has ever heard - though that may be him simply trying to find his own style at this early point in his career.

I have to say that right now Duke rules the roost when it comes to announcers, if not on the court. Jay Bilas is top-notch (if not a big enough homer), Mike Gminski also rocks, and Jay Williams is quite good in the studio. One of my favorite guys, however, is Greg Anthony on CBS. I liked his NBA announcing too. Never though I'd like someone so much who was a Running Rebel!

-c

Rich
02-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Mike Gminski also rocks

While I like Mike Gminski as an announcer, and maybe this has been addressed before, but he sounds an awful lot like David Letterman. Is it just me?

CBDUKE
02-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Other Duke announcers that you left out: Jim Sparnarkel, Bucky Waters, Bob Wentzle (sp?) and of course Dick Groat does color for Pitt.

weezie
02-17-2009, 06:12 PM
While I like Mike Gminski as an announcer, and maybe this has been addressed before, but he sounds an awful lot like David Letterman. Is it just me?

Hoot! He does!!! You just placed it for me. But, our Mike has a far finer head of hair and some cool suspenders, he does! :)