PDA

View Full Version : The real reason for Duke's recent losses

Wander
02-16-2009, 10:05 AM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/pep_talk.png

TheDukeCreed
02-16-2009, 10:48 AM
Heh

Simple. Lack of balance is taking its toll.

Now slam me all you like.

sagegrouse
02-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Heh

Simple. Lack of balance is taking its toll. The poor inside game is finally taking its toll as it has in the last couple of years. The lack of development in Duke's front court is alarming. Send Zoubek down in Chapel Hill and I'd bet he would have developed into a decent player by now.

You mean like Serge Zwikker and Neil Fingleton?

sagegrouse

allenmurray
02-16-2009, 11:08 AM
There seems to be a diret inverse correlation between the inanity of a post and the number of posts the person has made.

sagegrouse
02-16-2009, 11:11 AM
There seems to be a diret inverse correlation between the inanity of a post and the number of posts the person has made.

Your point is accurate; however, its meaning will be over the heads of the perpetrators.

sagegrouse

gethlives
02-16-2009, 11:31 AM
You mean like Serge Zwikker and Neil Fingleton?

sagegrouse

I'm not going to comment about Carolina's ability to work with Greg Zoubek, but you should hope that he is as good as Serge Zwikker. He averaged 11.5 ppg and 8 rebounds a game his senior year.

Here's his stats:
http://www.sportsstats.com/bball/individual.stats/player_stats/player2112.txt

CameronBornAndBred
02-16-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm not going to comment about Carolina's ability to work with Greg Zoubek, but you should hope that he is as good as Serge Zwikker. He averaged 11.5 ppg and 8 rebounds a game his senior year.

Here's his stats:
http://www.sportsstats.com/bball/individual.stats/player_stats/player2112.txt
They can have Greg Zoubek. Let us keep Brian. He has his value on the floor. He will never be the quickest player on the court, and you can't teach quickness. He has gotten better at the skills that are teachable, such as protecting the ball better when he has it. On occasion he still puts in the ball on the floor, but not like he used to, which was about everytime he got it under the basket. He has more shot selection then he did in the past as well. He's always been a good passer, and K sure loves to use him for setting screens.

BahamaDukie
02-24-2009, 12:20 AM
Why should I think that Zoubek has not learned to post up, receive a pass and shoot a jump hook...which is unstoppable....( not a Jabbar hook )

Am I to believe that it is all Zoubek's fault?

Duvall
02-24-2009, 12:22 AM
Why should I think that Zoubek has not learned to post up, receive a pass and shoot a jump hook...which is unstoppable....( not a Jabbar hook )

We recruited him and knew of his limitations. Why did we not develop him by now?

It's all part of a nefarious plot to tease and taunt Duke fans. Follow the money.

yancem
02-24-2009, 12:36 AM

You know when I started posting a while back, I would have thought this statement to be absurd. Now I just nod my head and say "yep".

As for the not developing Zoubek thought. Do you think that the several injuries he had the past two years might have slowed his development? I think that he has made very noticeable progress. How many traveling violations has he had this year? I think he averages 2 per touch his freshman year. He's added a rebound and a pt and a half to his averages from a year ago and nearly doubled his FT percentage.

I'm not saying he's and all American but he has improved a little each year even with some bad injuries.

BahamaDukie
02-24-2009, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
There seems to be a direct inverse correlation between the inanity of a post and the number of posts the person has made.

not going to go there with you.

Injuries definately can slow progress, but it still appears that he has not developed the way you would expect.

I do not think that your examples of improvement over the course of 3 years at Duke are acceptable for a 7 footer.

shadowfax336
02-24-2009, 12:53 AM

We recruited him and knew of his limitations. Why did we not develop him by now?

I'm a little hesitant to reply to this... (why hasn't this thread just been closed already?) But here goes...

Zoubek certainly knows how to receive a pass and post up, so the problem comes with teaching him an unstoppable jump hook move. What players would you say in college basketball currently have an unstoppable jump hook move?

shadowfax336
02-24-2009, 12:59 AM
Heh

Simple. Lack of balance is taking its toll. The poor inside game is finally taking its toll as it has in the last couple of years. The lack of development in Duke's front court is alarming. Send Zoubek down in Chapel Hill and I'd bet he would have developed into a decent player by now.

This is pretty much the definition of looking for trouble...

But just for fun, who would you say is a comparable post player that UNC has developed?
Also, doesn't Zoubek bear some responsibility for his own developments? Coaches can show players how to get better, but they can't make them better, players have to make those choices on their own. I'm not the biggest fan of his, but I can't deny that Rick Pitino is a great coach. Yet when he tried to deal with a guy like Derek Character, who simply didn't care to get better, it ended badly.
I'm not at all characterizing Zoubek as a Derek Character type though. In fact I think he has improved markedly in several areas since his freshmen year. If that pace isn't up to your expectations, quite honestly sometimes reevaluating expectations is more necessary than reevaluating a process

Jumbo
02-24-2009, 01:05 AM
Apparently, even a thread that begins with a joke and a cartoon can get turned into a ridiculous flame war. Thread closed.