PDA

View Full Version : Poor defense or great offense

DUKIE V(A)
02-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, I ask you one (or two) simple
question(s)...Has the recent trend of higher scoring games against Duke been more the result of poor Duke defense or brilliant offense by our opponents? In either case, what do we need to do to reverse the trend?

miramar
02-16-2009, 09:43 AM
Teams sometimes have a great night, but it has happened too many times of late, so there's no question that Duke is suffering some real defensive breakdowns.

One important statistic is how well teams are shooting the three against Duke, while Duke has been having some real problems. These are the three-point shooting percentages in the ACC (first Duke, then the opponent)

1) Va Tech 37.5/11.1 (W by 9)
2) FSU 41.7/17.5 (W by 8)
3) GaTech 33.3/58.3 (W by 14)
4) NC State 50.0/21.4 (W by 17)
5) Maryland 48.0/16.7 (W by 41)
6) Wake 18.2/20.0 (L by 2)
7) UVA 33.3/25.0 (W by 25)
8) Clemson 23.1/35.0 (L by 27)
9) Miami 30.8/60.0 (W OT by 3)
10) UNC 33.3/40.0 (L by 14)
11) BC 18.8/44.4 (L by 6)

In games 1-5, Duke was clearly superior four times and the team went 5-0. The only exception was GaTech, who shot well in the second half (6/9) in an effort to catch up, but they only shot 3/11 from two-point range and it simply wasn't enough.

The shooting in the Duke-Wake game was pretty even and the game went down to the wire. Duke was better against UVA and won, but then things go south.

Duke was worse in all areas against Clemson and got blown out. Against Miami, McClinton and Dews went 8/10, which is unacceptable (although we have to allow for the fact that McClinton made some unstoppable shots). Duke fortunately won in overtime on pure effort (points off turnovers 24/12 and second chance points 19/10).

Duke was worse against UNC and lost, but the real difference was in the second half when Duke shot 2/15 (13.3%). Against BC Duke shot 3/16, but while Singler shot 3/6 the rest of the team was 0/10. Meanwhile BC hit 44.4.

If we look at it in two-point terms, then this means that the last four teams have shot the equivalent of 52.5%, 90%, 60%, and 66.6% from three-point range, so I would say that Duke has not played good defense against some talented teams.

dukestheheat
02-16-2009, 09:51 AM
As far as a solution for the D goes, as it pertains to slowing a cat-quick guard, I put up a post in the BC post-game thread with a question to the board on the D employed by Duke in the first half of the UNC game.

In that first half of the UNC game, we brought a big from the paint to double team Lawson, beginning at mid-court; this greatly hindered him and he wasn't able to create as much and also, he only was able to score 4 points. Duke finished the half with an 8 point lead, and the momentum clearly in their favor.

What do you all think about employing that D much more often to help Duke slow the catty quick guards out there? Certainly, we give up a more solid paint defense, particularly in the high post, so that's a negative to it.

dth.

Kedsy
02-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, I ask you one (or two) simple
question(s)...Has the recent trend of higher scoring games against Duke been more the result of poor Duke defense or brilliant offense by our opponents? In either case, what do we need to do to reverse the trend?

Obviously it could be either, but I think the team has to look at it as if Duke is responsible. We (rightfully) take credit when the other teams don't score and shoot a poor percentage, so we should take equal credit (in the opposite direction) when they score a lot and shoot well.

The alternative is to become fatalistic, and say the other team was just unconscious and there was nothing we could have done. But once you get into that mindset it's too easy to just give up.

When this year's team gives full effort, they look like nobody can beat them. They seem to have increasingly long stretches when they're not giving that effort, however, which is IMO why opposing scoring has increased. If we can find a way to stay in full effort mode for entire games we will right the ship.

HDB
02-16-2009, 12:59 PM
As far as a solution for the D goes, as it pertains to slowing a cat-quick guard, I put up a post in the BC post-game thread with a question to the board on the D employed by Duke in the first half of the UNC game.

In that first half of the UNC game, we brought a big from the paint to double team Lawson, beginning at mid-court; this greatly hindered him and he wasn't able to create as much and also, he only was able to score 4 points. Duke finished the half with an 8 point lead, and the momentum clearly in their favor.

What do you all think about employing that D much more often to help Duke slow the catty quick guards out there? Certainly, we give up a more solid paint defense, particularly in the high post, so that's a negative to it.

dth.

I think the credit for our "solid d" in the first half of the Carolina game goes to Roy Williams. He sat Lawson much more than I expected and went with Frazor and Drew instead. It was with those two guards on the floor that we slowed the Heels and went on our run.