PDA

View Full Version : Weber vs. Coach K.

sando
04-06-2007, 01:27 PM
First time on this board, have any of you seen this board from the Illini:
http://www.herald-review.com/blogs/marktupper/?p=366

These clowns are actually saying they would rather have Weber than Coach K, and if they switched schools that Weber would do a better job of recruiting at Duke. What's crazy is those clowns i think actually truly believe it.

My question for Duke Fans - there is no way in H that you'd want Weber correct?

Indoor66
04-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Could this be a troll!

FireOgilvie
04-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Ron Zook is a better basketball coach than Bruce Weber. Think about it.

dukeENG2003
04-06-2007, 03:29 PM
if this was really the case, then why is John Scheyer wearing a Duke uni?

Karl Beem
04-06-2007, 04:43 PM
First time on this board, have any of you seen this board from the Illini:
http://www.herald-review.com/blogs/marktupper/?p=366

These clowns are actually saying they would rather have Weber than Coach K, and if they switched schools that Weber would do a better job of recruiting at Duke. What's crazy is those clowns i think actually truly believe it.

That's why they're clowns!

kydevil
04-06-2007, 04:56 PM
if this was really the case, then why is John Scheyer wearing a Duke uni?

Right on.... he couldnt even get Scheyer out of his own backyard....

I forgot how amazing the illini recruiting classes... since Weber took over he has had ONE top 25 recruiting class and that was in 03 when he got Dee Brown and co... who were from illinois.

Duke15304
04-06-2007, 05:13 PM
i know you guys might be impliying this, but lets not forget it just wasnt out of his own backyard, but jon's coach was weber's brother

Wander
04-06-2007, 05:20 PM

That's the nature of team-specific message boards. Whenever you have a community that's focused on just one team, you get ridiculously biased/stupid statements in favor of that team. That applies to that Illinois message board (Weber being a better coach, Weber being a better recruiter, etc) as much as it does this Duke message board (Florida not being a remarkable team, a serious possibility of Lance Thomas being a team captain next year, etc). No one is better than the other.

kydevil
04-06-2007, 05:20 PM
i know you guys might be impliying this, but lets not forget it just wasnt out of his own backyard, but jon's coach was weber's brother

How could i forget that... should have posted that... thanks

johnb
04-06-2007, 05:26 PM
I can't imagine Lance Thomas as a 2007-8 captain.

But Duke '92, '99, or '01 would kick Florida '07 around the court.

And I consider myself a completely unbiased Duke partisan.

calltheobvious
04-06-2007, 05:26 PM
That's the nature of team-specific message boards. Whenever you have a community that's focused on just one team, you get ridiculously biased/stupid statements in favor of that team. That applies to that Illinois message board (Weber being a better coach, Weber being a better recruiter, etc) as much as it does this Duke message board (Florida not being a remarkable team, a serious possibility of Lance Thomas being a team captain next year, etc). No one is better than the other.

Hello, Pony, I'd like you to meet your trick.

One can be biased without losing all sense of objectivity. To compare the Duke '92 v. Florida '07 discussion to the aforementioned Weber v. K question is beyond absurd.

For a wonderful discussion of the differences between bias and objectivity, see the last third or so of this piece by Malcolm Gladwell.

http://www.gladwell.com/disclosure.html

Wander
04-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Hello, Pony, I'd like you to meet your trick.

One can be biased without losing all sense of objectivity. To compare the Duke '92 v. Florida '07 discussion to the aforementioned Weber v. K question is beyond absurd.

I am not comparing that discussion to the Weber v. K discussion. I am comparing the thought that Florida is not a remarkable team to the Weber v. K discussion. There is a big difference. Anyway, it's irrelevant, and I'm not interested in going there - I'm just pointing out that the general idea that any message board that focuses on one team is going to be very biased towards that team. dukebasketballreport is just as biased as this Illinois board. That doesn't mean that these DBR boards and that Illinois board are completely worthless - they aren't, and obviously if I thought they were I wouldn't be here - but it should be recognized that this isn't exactly the best place to get a generally objective view of Duke basketball.

calltheobvious
04-06-2007, 05:53 PM
See bias, objectivity, and differences.

Wander
04-06-2007, 05:59 PM
I'm well aware of your vocabulary. These boards and the Illinois boards and all other team boards are both unbiased and unobjective. Not every single individual member obviously, but the boards as a whole.

kydevil
04-06-2007, 06:30 PM
I can't imagine Lance Thomas as a 2007-8 captain.

But Duke '92, '99, or '01 would kick Florida '07 around the court.

And I consider myself a completely unbiased Duke partisan.

Ya I agree, but that statement sounds biased.... just like Illinois saying Weber is better than K is biased...

WiJoe
04-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Who is he?

:confused:

Blue KevIL
04-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Back when Bruce Weber was hired at Illinois. Bruce Almighty was the movie of the moment in the theaters.
The posters on Illiniboard.com somehow adopted "BAM" (Bruce AlMighty)as the acronym/nickname for Weber and it stuck.

By the way, Weber did not recruit Dee Brown or Deron Williams. Those were Bill Self's recruits. Weber did have to "recruit" Brown and Williams to stay at Illinois after Self left. Brown was rumored to have wanted to leave.

Blue KevIL

bhd28
04-06-2007, 08:36 PM
I am not comparing that discussion to the Weber v. K discussion. I am comparing the thought that Florida is not a remarkable team to the Weber v. K discussion. There is a big difference. Anyway, it's irrelevant, and I'm not interested in going there - I'm just pointing out that the general idea that any message board that focuses on one team is going to be very biased towards that team. dukebasketballreport is just as biased as this Illinois board. That doesn't mean that these DBR boards and that Illinois board are completely worthless - they aren't, and obviously if I thought they were I wouldn't be here - but it should be recognized that this isn't exactly the best place to get a generally objective view of Duke basketball.
I think that is where the problem came. When you compared a "discussion" to a "thought." Generally, if you try to compare discussions to discussions and thoughts to thoughts it will make it easier to understand. Your example could be viewd as kind of like saying... "Who is better, Shaq or Joe Montana?" See what I am saying?

Troublemaker
04-06-2007, 09:53 PM
I am not comparing that discussion to the Weber v. K discussion. I am comparing the thought that Florida is not a remarkable team to the Weber v. K discussion.

Florida is unremarkable. You must have only watched the Final Four. I saw them get slaughtered by Tennessee and LSU. Great team, great teamwork, just not an all-time great or close to Duke 92 in quality.

At worst, what was demonstrated was just a difference in opinion, and not a show of bias. You think they're remarkable, lots of people disagree. What's remarkable is you trying to paint the people who disagree with you as nonobjective. Get a grip.

Wander
04-07-2007, 12:34 AM
At worst, what was demonstrated was just a difference in opinion, and not a show of bias. You think they're remarkable, lots of people disagree. What's remarkable is you trying to paint the people who disagree with you as nonobjective. Get a grip.

Saying Florida was not as good as Duke '92 is a perfectly intelligent statement. Saying that Florida was not even close to Duke '92 is not a statement I agree with but it can be argued and I'll gladly accept people have that difference of opinion. But if you really believe Florida is unremarkable you're either ignorant of their accomplishments, nonobjective, or dumb. I'm assuming it's "nonobjective."

Wander
04-07-2007, 12:36 AM
I think that is where the problem came. When you compared a "discussion" to a "thought." Generally, if you try to compare discussions to discussions and thoughts to thoughts it will make it easier to understand. Your example could be viewd as kind of like saying... "Who is better, Shaq or Joe Montana?" See what I am saying?

I see you are completely nitpicking and have lost track of the context of my original statement. They are just examples of why the Illinois board was biased towards/nonobjective about Illinois and why these boards are biased towards/nonobjective about Duke.

Troublemaker
04-07-2007, 10:25 AM
Saying Florida was not as good as Duke '92 is a perfectly intelligent statement. Saying that Florida was not even close to Duke '92 is not a statement I agree with but it can be argued and I'll gladly accept people have that difference of opinion.

Well, it's good to see that you recognize that much.

As for why you continue to harp on folks' non-application of the clearly subjective term "remarkable" to Fla 07, I couldn't explain. It's subjective. Period. To you, "remarkable" may mean a repeat champion, in which case Fla 07 is remarkable. To others, like me, remarkable may be something else entirely. It may be having less than 5 losses, not getting blown out 3 times, being impressive every time you play, and showing consistent dominance throughout the season. In which case, Fla 07 is unremarkable.

langdonfan
04-07-2007, 11:46 AM

Am I the only one who does not understand what the idea of Lance Thomas potentially being a captain next year has to do with Duke fans on this board being biased? I would guess that there is a slight possibility of Thomas and/or David McClure being captains, not because of what I think of them as a players but because Coach K has called them both good leaders.