PDA

View Full Version : Man of The Match Vs. Boston College

Hancock 4 Duke
02-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Who was the best of the best against BC?

CameronCrazy'11
02-15-2009, 09:16 PM
I'm choosing to view this as a sign of good things to come from Lance.

Cameron
02-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Not sure this is a needed event tonight.

I'd rather continue to wallow away in my little funeral here at home as I desperately pray for Miami to pull one out over the Heels.

61-60 UNC with three minutes left.

Newton_14
02-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Lance Thomas was the man of the match. He played hard every second he was on the floor and stepped his game up at a time when the team desperately needed him. Had a few others chosed to match his effort the outcome would have been different.

Keep it up Lance, your team needs you.

mgtr
02-16-2009, 06:53 AM
Lance was a positive in a disappointing game. Keep it up!

whereinthehellami
02-16-2009, 08:39 AM
Singler without a doubt. 25 points (led team), 8 rebounds (led team), 2 blocks (led team), 1 steal. 3 0f 6 from 3 and 7 of those 8 rebounds were offensive (warrior).

Lance had a nice game, opportunistic. But it wasn't a coming out party as much of a product of BC and their poor frontcourt. Without Singler Duke gets posterized.

ncexnyc
02-16-2009, 12:53 PM
A really nice game from Lance. I believe that is what we were hoping from him this year. I don't care if they are "garbage baskets", they count just the same. I also like the fact that he is willing to take the open jumper when it presents itself.

shotrocksplitter
02-16-2009, 03:11 PM
I think one of the telling stats of the game was that G and Singler combined to miss 22 fg attempts.

Lance was clearly the most efficient offensive player (and my vote) but when your best player on the day fouls out (as Lance is wont to do) you've got some problems.

Duke didn't play well last night. Except for his customary touch fouls, Lance was pretty good.

DukeDevilDeb
02-16-2009, 03:28 PM
I think one of the telling stats of the game was that G and Singler combined to miss 22 fg attempts.

Lance was clearly the most efficient offensive player (and my vote) but when your best player on the day fouls out (as Lance is wont to do) you've got some problems.

Duke didn't play well last night. Except for his customary touch fouls, Lance was pretty good.

... for several reasons. Once can't argue that 6 for 6 shooting is outstanding (especially when Nolan went O for 6). He also had 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 TOs, and a steal. I thought the TV announcers were wrong when they said that Lance got junk baskets. He did exactly what we want the rest of the team to do. When a teammate missed, Lance was there to put it back in. Once he got his 4th foul, he was limited in his flexibility.

So is Man of the Match about who is the best athlete or who scores the most points? I know those contribute to the votes. But I've always taken it to mean, "Who played DUKE basketball tonight?"... and as far as I could see, Lance led that list. Don't get me wrong. Kyle was great too. 8 for 17, no TOs, 3 for 6 from three... but the two free throws he missed came at crucial times. And neither he nor G could hit at the end of the game.

We need a closer. I thought Paulus could at least set someone up to be the closer, but now I'm not sure. We need a Nate to tip in a missed shot or a Battier to get the points we need some way, any way.... and that is the piece we're missing most of all.

Yes, I know we don't have a Hurley level point guard or a Gminski kind of big man... but I think if we had a closer who also had an arrogant attitude, we wouldn't keep losing these games in the last two or three minutes when we have a lead or are just down 2 or 3 points. Obviously I'm not including the Clemson game in my comments. I don't know what happened there. :confused:

weezie
02-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Singler without a doubt....
Lance had a nice game, opportunistic. But it wasn't a coming out party as much of a product of BC and their poor frontcourt. Without Singler Duke gets posterized.

During almost every game this season, Kyle has done something incredible while putting up big points. He has an incredible sense of where the ball is and where it is likely going. His hands are fantastic and he is rarely fooled, that boy watches the ball like a lion scopes his prey.
He is truly a basketball savant. He reminds me in many ways of Battier, maybe not as physically big and strong but mentally very much alike.

I just wish Kyle was getting some more help inside. While I enjoy seeing Lance do well, I wonder about his woofing and the yelling at his teammates. Of course, I am often wrong (and I'm sure someone will be quick to point that out,) but that just doesn't seem like Duke's style of play.