PDA

View Full Version : Insane NBA approaches to coaching personnel

throatybeard
02-14-2009, 10:56 PM
First, there's the general pattern of everybody recycling everybody else's coaches at the same level. This happens in the other major team sports, but it seems the NBA really loves this. The NBA really loves to churn the same set of coaches faster even more than the other pro leagues. In football, if you lose your HC job, usually you're going back to the coordinator level.

But the Phoenix thing amazes me. There's a crawl on ESPN about how they're about to fire Terry Porter mid-season. Who they hired because they jobbed a really successful coach, D'Antoni, for no apparent reason.

I like the Utah Jazz just because they don't have a sick approach to the head coach...

CameronBornAndBred
02-14-2009, 11:10 PM
First, there's the general pattern of everybody recycling everybody else's coaches at the same level. This happens in the other major team sports, but it seems the NBA really loves this. The NBA really loves to churn the same set of coaches faster even more than the other pro leagues. In football, if you lose your HC job, usually you're going back to the coordinator level.

But the Phoenix thing amazes me. There's a crawl on ESPN about how they're about to fire Terry Porter mid-season. Who they hired because they jobbed a really successful coach, D'Antoni, for no apparent reason.

I like the Utah Jazz just because they don't have a sick approach to the head coach...
I think "the Phoenix thing" really is the poster child of what you are talking about. For whatever reason, Phoenix decided they needed someone else other than D'Antoni, who then goes to New York, which is improved under his system, but not headed for the playoffs. He replaced one player he didn't want (Marbury) with one he did want (Duhon), and the Knicks fans are at least having fun. I'm not sure how long they will give him to get a playoff team, but I'm guessing it will be a one season honeymoon. Other teams are so stuck in futility they give up on their coach before November starts. They toss out the untested loser and go for the tested loser. (The Larry Browns). Strange league.

dukemsu
02-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Steve Kerr has basically destroyed a team single-handedly. He took a team that was one horrendous suspension call from the NBA Finals and has made one ridiculous reach move after another. Good spot up jump shooter and announcer. Not the best executive.

dukemsu

InSpades
02-15-2009, 12:53 AM
I think "the Phoenix thing" really is the poster child of what you are talking about. For whatever reason, Phoenix decided they needed someone else other than D'Antoni, who then goes to New York, which is improved under his system, but not headed for the playoffs. He replaced one player he didn't want (Marbury) with one he did want (Duhon), and the Knicks fans are at least having fun. I'm not sure how long they will give him to get a playoff team, but I'm guessing it will be a one season honeymoon. Other teams are so stuck in futility they give up on their coach before November starts. They toss out the untested loser and go for the tested loser. (The Larry Browns). Strange league.

As a Knicks fan... I'm pretty amazed by what D'Antoni has done with the team so far. They basically traded away half of his starting lineup (when they were playing really well) and he still has them playing decent basketball. I don't think the honeymoon will end until after the 2010 free agent season is over. If they don't manage to land atleast 1 (most likely 2) of the big name free agents then I think the NY fans will start to show their displeasure. Until then I think he has a pretty free ride, he can't really do much worse than Thomas and Brown did.