PDA

View Full Version : Battier to be on cover of NYTimes Mag this Sunday

Mike Corey
02-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Sadly, I don't know much beyond that.

My guess would be that either Michael Lewis or Michael Sokolove penned the story. No idea what it's about, though I think it's fair to make some educated guesses.

It should be online sometime tomorrow afternoon.

jwillfan
02-14-2009, 07:54 AM
I'm about 2/3rds of the way through it and it's great -- yes, Michael Lewis, author of Moneyball among many other greats (including a recent Portfolio mag article about the financial meltdown). Love this quote: "“I thought he’d be the first black president,” Wetzel says. “He was Barack Obama before Barack Obama.”"

Bostondevil
02-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Just read the article myself. And though it's nothing new, I feel the need to say it again. I love Shane Battier.

ArkieDukie
02-14-2009, 09:43 AM
I read the article, too. Loved it. It's an article I could give to anyone who would ever dare to ask why Shane Battier is my favorite Duke player of all time.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Links to articles like this are why I come to this site. Thanks for the find guys.
This has to be one of the best written and informative pieces on the game that I have ever read. Really enjoyed it and have bookmarked it to re-read again later. Send this out to any causual fan you know that would like to understand the game better.

The game is about so much more than talent, always has been, but I never new that there was such a real effort out there to try an quantify "intangibles".

Battier was the perfect case study too. I hope he makes lots of money an gets set so financially for life during his NBA career, that when we do elect him President some day, he will make the tough, rational decisions we need and care less whether he gets re-elected.

JasonEvans
02-14-2009, 10:48 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/magazine/15Battier-t.html

I am only about halfway through it but it is one of the most enlightened and meaningful articles on basketball I have ever read. Michael Lewis is a fabulous writer and he understands sports.

The article makes Shane appear to be somewhat alone in the world of professional basketball -- alone in his abilities but also alone in that he does not have many friends among the players. It would appear that this is because he does not share the same interests as them. I feel sorta sorry for them that they do not recognize what an amazing experience it would be to have a meaningful conversation with someone as bright as Shane. Sad.

I would be stunned if Shane is not someday the GM of an NBA team that wins the league title... if that is what he wants to do.

--Jason "a piece of me thinks it is a pity that Shane's talents are wasted on sports. He really would make an amazing public leader" Evans

4decadedukie
02-14-2009, 10:55 AM
The New York Times magazine's cover article -- highlighted on DBR's front page today -- analyzing Shane Battier's aggregate impact in the Rockets' success is wonderful. In my opinion, we should all read it, enjoy it and be immensely proud of Shane's Duke heritage; however, we should not be at all surprised by it.

This, after all, is the same Shane Battier whose brains, character, leadership, and talents led the Blue Devils to the 2001 NCAA trophy, after what many believed was a Duke-season-ending injury to Carlos Boozer. The "miracle minute" victory in College Park, the ACC Tournament title (especially the minutely close semi-final victory over Maryland and the blowout of UNC the following afternoon), and the successful National Championship run (particularly the semi-final victory again over Maryland, as well as the NCAA championship over Arizona) were all founded on Shane's remarkable athleticism (principally defense), on his leadership, on his character, and on his tenacity. Certainly the other superb members of the 2001 Duke team (Williams, James, Boozer, Dunleavy, and so forth) share this distinction, but (in my opinion) Shane was the catalyst that made it possible.

The current Times article is really an appropriate complement to an equally superb Times piece written eight-years ago: We Are Duke (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A07E6D71E3FF930A35757C0A9679C8B 63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=1), which is clearly worth re-reading.

mapei
02-14-2009, 11:24 AM
I agree with everything that has been said and would add only that it would still be the best article I have ever read about basketball even if it weren't about my all-time favorite player.

Devilsfan
02-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Finally a reason to buy the Times!

Mike Corey
02-14-2009, 12:22 PM
--Jason "a piece of me thinks it is a pity that Shane's talents are wasted on sports. He really would make an amazing public leader" Evans

http://memorywavetransmission.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/p1_bradley_0503.jpg

http://berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2003/09/images/bradley.jpg

gumbomoop
02-14-2009, 12:24 PM
What a remarkable piece by a fine writer, acknowledging an outside-the-box GM who recognized, in most ways to his own amazement, Battier's uniqueness. Most things described as "unique," aren't. As a basketball player, possibly in other ways, Shane is.

Two telling Shane moments from the NC game v. Ariz: (1) when the ball got stuck, where?, on top of blackboard, and Shane, the ultimate multi-tasker who apparently thinks about everything, grabbed a broom-thing, and knocked it down. He was laughing. (2) that truly amazing tip-in with maybe 3-4 minutes left, when he swooped in from right side of basket, then between several players, somehow got his right hand up to the rim, and tipped the ball in with, I think, the back of his pinky-ring fingers/wrist as the ball fell off to the left.

And the most telling comment on Shane: K's "Just watch Shane. Don't look at anything else for a few minutes. Just watch Shane."

Edouble
02-14-2009, 12:45 PM
(2) that truly amazing tip-in with maybe 3-4 minutes left, when he swooped in from right side of basket, then between several players, somehow got his right hand up to the rim, and tipped the ball in with, I think, the back of his pinky-ring fingers/wrist as the ball fell off to the left.

The moment that I (and I'm sure many of us here) knew we were going to win the game. In a lot of basketball games, you can really feel one team gaining momentum over the other, but in those last 3 or 4 minutes, you felt one player, Shane, gaining momentum over everyone and everything on the court. He was everywhere at once, as if he was literally leaving every last drop of his NCAA soul out on the court in what he knew was his final game.

I'm still so glad that Shane chose Duke.

arnie
02-14-2009, 12:48 PM
I agree with everything that has been said and would add only that it would still be the best article I have ever read about basketball even if it weren't about my all-time favorite player.

I think it's one of the best best articles I've ever read on any topic. Also, I didn't realize that he was instrumental in recruiting Brand to Duke. Capel or Battier as the next coach at Duke?

sue71, esq
02-14-2009, 05:06 PM
I think it's one of the best best articles I've ever read on any topic. Also, I didn't realize that he was instrumental in recruiting Brand to Duke. Capel or Battier as the next coach at Duke?

I love Shane. Just sayin'.

Seriously, though, he is a great human being. On the court. Off the court. What a great example to point to as a person. How proud that he chose Duke.

And I also didn't realize the part about him calling Elton. Quite interesting!

weezie
02-14-2009, 05:18 PM
What a treat! I started reading and then decided to wait for the print. Anything Michael Lewis writes is well worth reading. I've met his uncle a few times and always compliment his nephew's talent.
"His beloved alma mater..." great stuff!

A Valentine's tribute to our Shane!

dukemsu
02-14-2009, 08:02 PM
It is rare that a writer both illustrates a personality and educates you about the game at the same time. Fantastic article. Worth a couple of reads to be sure.

I remember being in Michigan while Shane was at DCDS, and how he was always being compared to Webber (never favorably so as Webber was seen as god-like). People were still sad when he left the state, as they knew he would do great things at Duke (I remember hearing that MSU was a distant second to Duke for Shane's college choice, but never saw that said by Shane). Shane never got heat for going to Duke, not even for showing up to school dressed as a Cameron Crazy on Halloween (which was covered by the media, which was odd). That was in stark comparison to Grant's time in Detroit, as he heard constantly from Duke haters and in a sense Detroit never warmed to Grant at all.

Shane has certainly not disappointed his hometown nor his beloved alma mater. What a credit to Duke University. I always laugh when people say someone plays like Shane or shows Shane-like qualities. Sorry. They broke the mold with this guy.

dukemsu

RepoMan
02-14-2009, 08:05 PM
what an excellent article. Outstanding!

BobbyFan
02-14-2009, 11:58 PM
Wonderful written and insightful article. It certainly appealed to the basketball geek in me. Any non-Duke fan would enjoy this as well.

moonpie23
02-15-2009, 09:51 AM
somehow, i feel like the term "he was ALSO a basketball player once" will apply to that guy.....

can't say enough about him.....i've told this story before, but he spent at least 15 min AFTER a tiring game at CIS taking my son around the locker room introducing him to the players, talking to him and posing for pics with Sam...

he's got my vote..

rthomas
02-15-2009, 10:45 AM
I am so glad that none of our coaches called Shane outside the alloted time when they were recruiting him. Poor Pitino. lol.

ArkieDukie
02-15-2009, 11:17 AM
I am so glad that none of our coaches called Shane outside the alloted time when they were recruiting him. Poor Pitino. lol.

I'm with you. That cracked me up. It also says something about Pitino.

camion
02-15-2009, 11:18 AM
It's pretty simple really if you're a GM. A team with Shane wins more than the same team without Shane. Get Shorty, uh Shane.

Looking to the future, would it be okay if Shane were simultaneously president of the United States and Duke men's basketball coach? It would solve a lot of pesky career path timing problems I've been worrying over... Plus IC would totally implode.

MChambers
02-15-2009, 01:14 PM
What a remarkable piece by a fine writer, acknowledging an outside-the-box GM who recognized, in most ways to his own amazement, Battier's uniqueness. Most things described as "unique," aren't. As a basketball player, possibly in other ways, Shane is.

Two telling Shane moments from the NC game v. Ariz: (1) when the ball got stuck, where?, on top of blackboard, and Shane, the ultimate multi-tasker who apparently thinks about everything, grabbed a broom-thing, and knocked it down. He was laughing. (2) that truly amazing tip-in with maybe 3-4 minutes left, when he swooped in from right side of basket, then between several players, somehow got his right hand up to the rim, and tipped the ball in with, I think, the back of his pinky-ring fingers/wrist as the ball fell off to the left.

And the most telling comment on Shane: K's "Just watch Shane. Don't look at anything else for a few minutes. Just watch Shane."

Another Shane play, around the time of the tip-in. He had the ball, and either fumbled it, or had it stripped. He and an Arizona player had a shot at it, but there was no way Battier could grab it with both hands before the Arizona player got there. He dove and tipped it to James, saving a possession.l

captmojo
02-15-2009, 02:55 PM
I was pleased to see it mentioned about how fans are intrigued to see a shot blocked into the fifth row, when it could have easily been blocked into a defensive recovery. ex Mutombo. This kind of play has bothered me for ages.

kexman
02-15-2009, 03:55 PM
I don't watch very much NBA on TV and none in person. Although it shouldn't surprise me, I'm a little surprised that Shane is a great on the ball defender since as the article said he is not the greatest of NBA caliber atheletes.

kexman
02-15-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm not sure why that posted mid post...
In college Battier was absolutely amazing off the ball. I was in michigan at the time so I only saw a few games live where I could just watch the action. Battier was a step ahead of the game. He would see the pick on the opposite wing and would slide off his man and into the lane to defend the pass. It was just a quick flash to allow his teammate to recover. The pass never came because Battier was there. He didn't get a steal or a block shot or a charge, but the pass was never made. He stopped an easy layup or a foul on our other player because he saw the play coming and gave just a brief moment of help (before the ball arrived) to allow our player to recover.
For the most part you could not see this on tv (or on the stat sheet) since the camera is focused on the ball, but I always thought this was his TRUE strength as a defensive player. Playing off the ball and helping EVERYONE out because he understood the game so well.
I really enjoyed the article since I think I could have predicted everything about that article except the part about being a great on the ball defender. I just assumed that required being able to match pysically your opponent. It does seem that he takes a unique tactic on playing defense which serves him well. Glad he is having such success!!! Still my favorite Dukie...I always felt he wouldn't let us lose!!!

Kim*
02-15-2009, 04:29 PM
Such an amazing piece. Thanks so much for posting this.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-15-2009, 04:33 PM
There are players that just "see the floor" better, quicker. Battier is certainly one of them.

What many casual fans don't realize is how much more important that can be over raw talent, they refuse to accept it or don't have the ability to "see the game".

When you add that "situational awareness" as pilots like to call it, to physical talent, you get the extraordinary players like Magic and Bird. (I hope nobody tries to argue Bird wasn't physically talented, but somebody usually does.)

Labron may be the most phyiscally gifted player I've seen to be blessed with that ability.

RPS
02-16-2009, 09:12 AM
Michael Lewis (who wrote Moneyball, among other outstanding books) writes about Shane Battier and his value as a player in The New York Times Magazine:

"Here we have a basketball mystery: a player is widely regarded inside the N.B.A. as, at best, a replaceable cog in a machine driven by superstars. And yet every team he has ever played on has acquired some magical ability to win."

The No-Stats All-Star (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/magazine/15Battier-t.html?_r=1)

It's an excellent article and fascinating for any hoop fan who wants to learn what really matters in player evaluation.

bird
02-16-2009, 03:46 PM
The article is more than about basketball.

Says something good that Duke fans knew what we had with Shane.

Having to share the 2001 ACC POY with Forte remains one of the great ACC injustices.

Billy Dat
02-16-2009, 04:59 PM
It IS a great article and should make any Duke fan feel very warm and fuzzy.

I agree that Shane's characterization of his lack of friends in the league is sad, "I used to try to talk to people, but then I figured out no one actually liked me very much." But, it speaks volumes about his character. The guy is comfortable in his own skin, and the article points out that was not always the case as he moved between the white DCDS scene ("they'd hand me a pick on school picture day when everyone else was given a comb") to the AAU scene where his game was viewed a very white. He didn't fit in anywhere so he became somewhat of a loner who "got lost in the game of basketball".

The way the article describes the little things he does to impact a game, and the way that the Rockets measure those contributions is extremely interesting. I am actually very surprised that the Rockets cooperated. While it makes them look smart, it probably gives a lot of other teams ideas.

I'd also be afraid that the article would gives opposing players extra motivation for playing against Shane if I thought any of them ever read the NY Times. Ok, maybe Grant and Ray Allen and a few others.

I am sure others, like me, were sad to reach the end of the article.

chi
02-17-2009, 03:57 AM
Looking at the stats differently --

another article (http://dberri.wordpress.com/2007/11/01/what-the-box-score-data-says-about-shane-battier/)

which is linked here (http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/archives/2009/02/quantifying_shane_battier.php)

Rudy
02-17-2009, 11:29 AM
I was pleased to see it mentioned about how fans are intrigued to see a shot blocked into the fifth row, when it could have easily been blocked into a defensive recovery. ex Mutombo. This kind of play has bothered me for ages.
Years ago I read Bill Russell say the same thing, that blocking it out of bounds was a waste. Russ is such a student of the game and winning vs. getting individual stats I wonder what he thinks of Battier's game.

Grounded
02-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Loved the article. I've always felt lucky to have watched Shane play his Junior / Senior seasons. Always a nice guy too.

I hope he changes the way the sport is viewed in the future...

bird
02-25-2009, 07:12 PM
Another interesting follow-up piece:

http://basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=562

Other statistical cuts at the issue reach basically the same conclusion: Shane's teams have a "magical tendency to play better when he is on the floor."