PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Boston College 80, Duke 74

SMO
02-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Didn't see one of these yet and figured it's time to start talking about BC. Other than Rice, I don't know much about them. Has anyone seen them play this year?

Ders24
02-13-2009, 12:35 PM
I know Trapini (a transfer from Vermont) has been pretty successful this year. I haven't seen them much, but as far as I know they are still running that kind of weird flex-based offense, and are overall a physical team. I think Skinner typically does a very good job with his teams, and I'm looking forward to this match up.

CDu
02-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Didn't see one of these yet and figured it's time to start talking about BC. Other than Rice, I don't know much about them. Has anyone seen them play this year?

They've got a few weapons. Rice is obvious, but they go beyond that.

Rakim Sanders is a guy sort of similar to Summers from Georgetown. He's not nearly as consistent, but he's similar in size, able to score in the post or from the perimeter, and rebounds really well.

They also have Joe Trapani, who is a versatile post player capable of perimeter scoring or scoring on the block.

Corey Raji gives them another midsize athletic guy. He plays the baseline game, getting some points and rebounds in the paint. Tyler Roche is similar in size, but plays the opposite game (primarily a perimeter shooter).

The rest of their backcourt is Mr. October and Biko Paris. Paris is quick and a capable ballhandler, but nondescript offensively. Jackson is another good athlete, but not a great outside shooter.

They don't get much from their bigs. Southern and Dunn give them solid defensive minutes but not too much offense.

If you limit Rice and Sanders, BC doesn't bring much to the table. That's easier said than done of course, but that's the key. They play their flex offense, they play sometimes-tough half-court defense (no press).

They run a bunch of bigs through as well.

OldSchool
02-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Call Tommy, ask him for his game plan.

We probably should have called him before our last game. If Harvard > BC and BC > UNC, then, by the Transitive Law of Basketball, Harvard > UNC.

Quod erat demonstrandum, res ipsa loquitur, in vino veritas.

SMO
02-13-2009, 01:01 PM
They've got a few weapons. Rice is obvious, but they go beyond that.

Rakim Sanders is a guy sort of similar to Summers from Georgetown. He's not nearly as consistent, but he's similar in size, able to score in the post or from the perimeter, and rebounds really well.

They also have Joe Trapani, who is a versatile post player capable of perimeter scoring or scoring on the block.

Corey Raji gives them another midsize athletic guy. He plays the baseline game, getting some points and rebounds in the paint. Tyler Roche is similar in size, but plays the opposite game (primarily a perimeter shooter).

The rest of their backcourt is Mr. October and Biko Paris. Paris is quick and a capable ballhandler, but nondescript offensively. Jackson is another good athlete, but not a great outside shooter.

They don't get much from their bigs. Southern and Dunn give them solid defensive minutes but not too much offense.

If you limit Rice and Sanders, BC doesn't bring much to the table. That's easier said than done of course, but that's the key. They play their flex offense, they play sometimes-tough half-court defense (no press).

They run a bunch of bigs through as well.

So key matchups include whomever is guarding Rice, and Sanders/Singler? Sounds like they have an unfavorable matchup vs. Hendo. Could this be an opportunity to get some post scoring from LT or Z?

CDu
02-13-2009, 01:11 PM
So key matchups include whomever is guarding Rice, and Sanders/Singler? Sounds like they have an unfavorable matchup vs. Hendo. Could this be an opportunity to get some post scoring from LT or Z?

Not necessarily. While Southern and Dunn don't provide much offensively, they can be solid defensively. Both are physical players and are capable of making it difficult for both guys to score. I wouldn't look to this as a game for Zoubek and Thomas to come up big, but anything's possible.

BC will probably have trouble with Henderson. That said, EVERYONE has trouble with Henderson. There are just very few teams that can match up with Henderson athletically. BC is not really any worse off against Henderson than most teams. BC will go with Sanders or Raji on Henderson. Trapani will probably guard Singler, and the other of Sanders/Raji will guard Scheyer.

gw67
02-13-2009, 01:14 PM
I suspect that Trapani will match up with Singler and that Sanders, Raji and Jackson will rotate playing the off guard and wing positions. All four are quality players who, along with Rice, can get hot at any time. Their weakest player, IMO, is their center, Southern.

gw67

CDu
02-13-2009, 01:33 PM
I suspect that Trapani will match up with Singler and that Sanders, Raji and Jackson will rotate playing the off guard and wing positions. All four are quality players who, along with Rice, can get hot at any time. Their weakest player, IMO, is their center, Southern.

gw67

Completely agree. They get physical defense, some rebounding, and generally foul trouble from the 5 spot, and nothing more.

Trapani is a poor-man's Singler. Their wings are solid (with the exception Sanders who can be quite good at times).

Rice, Trapani, and Sanders are the most dangerous players, but Raji and Jackson can produce as well.

accfanfrom1970
02-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Since they didn't play at all against UNC, is there a role or minutes for EWilliams and Plumlee against the BC personnel?

CDu
02-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Since they didn't play at all against UNC, is there a role or minutes for EWilliams and Plumlee against the BC personnel?

I'm guessing that Plumlee and Williams didn't play against UNC simply because Coach K knew he was facing a team with superior talent, and so he wanted to go with the most prepared guys. BC is not nearly as talented as UNC, so I think we'll see Plumlee and Williams get a bit of time. But as far as there being a specific role for them, I'd say it's probably no more than the usual mid-tier ACC opponent.

SMO
02-13-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm guessing that Plumlee and Williams didn't play against UNC simply because Coach K knew he was facing a team with superior talent, and so he wanted to go with the most prepared guys. BC is not nearly as talented as UNC, so I think we'll see Plumlee and Williams get a bit of time. But as far as there being a specific role for them, I'd say it's probably no more than the usual mid-tier ACC opponent.

Let's hope they get big minutes in a Duke blowout!

Thanks for all the perspectives on BC. You guys seem to know your stuff so I'll take your word for it. They are the ACC team I know the least about.

moonpie23
02-13-2009, 04:03 PM
let's not saddle this up as a win quite yet!! we're facing the SAME thing that killed us against UNC.......and off-the-chart-crazy-get-any-shot-he-wants-speedy point guard....

we'd better bring the entire 40 mins......

CDu
02-13-2009, 04:06 PM
let's not saddle this up as a win quite yet!! we're facing the SAME thing that killed us against UNC.......and off-the-chart-crazy-get-any-shot-he-wants-speedy point guard....

we'd better bring the entire 40 mins......

I definitely didn't mean to imply that we have this game in the bag. Containing Rice is no easy task, that's for sure. And Sanders can be a force when he wants to be.

We should be favored, but BC can certainly give us trouble and beat us.

BlueintheFace
02-13-2009, 04:12 PM

We probably should have called him before our last game. If Harvard > BC and BC > UNC, then, by the Transitive Law of Basketball, Harvard > UNC.

Sound legal reasoning.

flyingdutchdevil
02-13-2009, 04:31 PM
I definitely didn't mean to imply that we have this game in the bag. Containing Rice is no easy task, that's for sure. And Sanders can be a force when he wants to be.

We should be favored, but BC can certainly give us trouble and beat us.

From a pure scoring point of view, Rice is better than Lawson. He isn't as fast as Lawson (is anyone?), but he can shoot the lights out of the ball. Considering that their post play isn't that great, probably best to play Rice tight. I can see Nolan having a huge role in this game.

Speaking of Nolan, I thought he had a decent game vs UNC. I hope I'm not the only who thought that. Also, I love it when Nolan goes one on one. He loves creating space near the top of the key and shooting a short jump shot. It's his marquee shot (like Duhon's floater).

SMO
02-13-2009, 07:32 PM
From a pure scoring point of view, Rice is better than Lawson. He isn't as fast as Lawson (is anyone?), but he can shoot the lights out of the ball. Considering that their post play isn't that great, probably best to play Rice tight. I can see Nolan having a huge role in this game.

Speaking of Nolan, I thought he had a decent game vs UNC. I hope I'm not the only who thought that. Also, I love it when Nolan goes one on one. He loves creating space near the top of the key and shooting a short jump shot. It's his marquee shot (like Duhon's floater).

I wonder if Duke will take a similar approach as they did vs. Davidson and Curry and throw multiple guys at Rice. Probably not worth doing it to the same extent as I'm sure BC has more options at other positions, but perhaps to a lesser degree they'll do something similar.

CameronCrazy'11
02-13-2009, 10:33 PM

It's even better than that.

N.J.I.T. > Bryant > Yale > Harvard > B.C. > U.N.C.

mgtr
02-13-2009, 10:36 PM
So, we clearly must figure out what clever recruiting scheme and substitution patter N.J.I.T. is following, and then we can win out for the season!

SMO
02-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Anyone know if this will be on TV in Central/North NJ?

mgtr
02-14-2009, 05:30 PM
It certainly would be if you had Directv, because a number of Fox Sports channels are carrying the game. The principal one is probably NESN. Check TitanTV after you tell it what cable/satellite service you have.

The1Bluedevil
02-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Boston College has had a week off to think about a tough home loss to Wake. This has been an unfortunate schedule for Duke in the past month. Wake and Clemson both had weeks off too. I hope the results are different this time around.

Bob Green
02-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Boston College has had a week off to think about a tough home loss to Wake.

Boston College lost to Clemson 87-77 on Tuesday 2/10. The Eagles haven't had a week off to prepare for Duke.

grossbus
02-15-2009, 10:56 AM
it always seems to be a tough game up there. be very interesting to see how we start this game (and i mean play and attitude not who is starting).

Faison1
02-15-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm worried about a major emotional letdown after the UNC loss. I know I'm feeling it.....granted, I am not as focused as those kids, but they are still 18-21 year old kids who use heart and hustle to win games.

If they win this game, I will have major respect for those guys.....although, I already admire them quite a bit.

DUKIE V(A)
02-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Rice is obviously a great player...but he can be streaky and is prone to disappear in games/float through games at times...I think we need to force him to drive and not give him open 3-point shots. Once he gets rolling from the outside, he can be difficult to contain.

Trapani can shoot the lights out...I hope whoever is guarding him stays focused for 40 minutes. We did not do a good job of this against Ogelsby.

We have the size and skill advantage in this game...I'd like to see Singler and Zoubs working in the post and lots of attacking the basket by Hendo, Smith, Scheyer, etc.

BC is a tough place to play and if we rely solely on the outside shot it's going to be a tight one one way or another. If we are aggressive throughout, we are the superior team and should win comfortably.

ChicagoCrazy84
02-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Hopefully we'll have more success against Rice than we did Lawson. Come on Nolan!! I wonder if Coach K will go back to Nolan in the starting lineup, but probably not cause I think Paulus has done fairly well. I would like to see them on the floor together more though. I think Henderson has a big game in this one. I would not be surprised if he goes for 20-25. I would also like to see Plumlee in this game, along with EWill.

foreverandalways
02-15-2009, 01:45 PM
hi.
do you guys know where i could watch the game online, where i dont have to pay or have a subscription?
thx.

gwwilburn
02-15-2009, 03:05 PM
hi.
do you guys know where i could watch the game online, where i dont have to pay or have a subscription?
thx.
Sometimes espn360.com has games, but i don't think they have this one. It's worth a try, though.

jaimedun34
02-15-2009, 03:49 PM
http://www.channelsurfing.net/

elvis14
02-15-2009, 04:45 PM
As usual, I'm looking forward to todays game. If I remember right, last year coach K had us double Rice once he crossed the time line to make him give up the ball. Hopefully we see some of that today. We should see Nolan returning to the starting lineup considering the matchup issues Rice creates for Greg. I think I'm most interested to see this game to see if we avoid some of the mistakes we made in the UNC game (taking 3's instead of taking it to the hole, for example). Mostly I'm just looking forward to a good fun game. Sometimes I read so much stuff on here, I forget to stop analyzing and just enjoy the game. I really like watching this year's team.

devildeac
02-15-2009, 04:59 PM
Tonight's game just got even more important to keep us out of 4 loss territory in the ACC and a game behind the leaders.

riverside6
02-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Here's the link to live tempo-based stats (http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=2037) for the BC/Duke game. The starters are now posted.

By the way, we're trying out a new live +/- number as well. We're still working out the kinks, but it should be close either way.

Hancock 4 Duke
02-15-2009, 05:54 PM
I heard a very unique chant from Boston college a second ago. It was something like "bullcrap" or something of that matter. I wonder where they could've gotten that chant? Hmmmm:D

grossbus
02-15-2009, 06:22 PM
nolan is killing us at both ends of the floor.

geraldsneighbor
02-15-2009, 06:22 PM
What was a really good first half finished in a close game. Nolan Smith hasn't looked good on offense shooting 0-5. Singler and G have performed. Lance has 8 points and looks good. Duke needs to step up in the second half however if they will leave the Forum with a W.

Indoor66
02-15-2009, 06:24 PM

He is constantly out of position on D and his O is really weak. Poor vision and is pounding the ball rather than passing.

riverside6
02-15-2009, 06:24 PM

Looking at +/-, we have Nolan at -8 and Greg at +10 (http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=2037) at halftime.

FireOgilvie
02-15-2009, 06:27 PM

He looks terrible today. Sad to see.

geraldsneighbor
02-15-2009, 06:27 PM
I'm glad were in front after shooting 1-10 from 3 and allowing them to shoot 58%.

Cameron
02-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Nolan's never been an offensive powerhouse, but come on. He is in a huge hole right now.

Greg, on the other hand, has come out competing well. He's so underrated on the defensive end. He's not a great on ball guy, but he does an efficient enough job keeping with non-Lawsons, and his play in the passing lanes and off the ball are exceptional. Very heady.

I'd like to see him get more looks offensively, though. With nobody else on the team hitting a thing from three, we could really use Greg's outside touch.

Maybe it's just me, but we do a horrible job of finding Greg when he's free. Sometimes, it's like he's invisible.

roywhite
02-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Pretty good first half in many respects; didn't like the last minute and a half. BC got some good looks, and Duke fired up at least 4 3-pointers that missed.

Nice job by Lance and Gerald esp. in 1st half.

captmojo
02-15-2009, 06:29 PM
A 13 point lead, nearly squandered, the defense on Rice is the only factor that is maintaining this lead at half.

miramar
I'm glad were in front after shooting 1-10 from 3 and allowing them to shoot 58%.

If I remember correctly, Singler hit Duke's first three early, but since then it has been brick city.

darkblue2769
Nolan's play aside, I thought we looked pretty good in the first half. I'm thrilled with what Lance has been doing, and overall things seem to be going well. Offensive rebounding has been a key plus as well.

Back to Nolan for a second, what the heck is up with him? I've read some speculation about his knee still bothering him, but even if that is true, that shouldn't affect things like his shot. He really needs to get things figured out...

We need to make sure Rice doesn't start burning us in the 2nd half. He started to light things up there at the end of the 1st.

DUKIE V(A)
02-15-2009, 06:32 PM
I hope we go back to attacking the basket in the second half. I thought we did a nice job of it until the last couple minutes. When we do take threes, we are much more effective on the drive and dish as opposed to passing it around the outside (or at least it seems that way). It seems more and more that aggressive offensive and defensive teams get the benefit of the close calls...If we return to the way we played for the first 17:30 minutes, we should put BC away comfortably. If not, in the words of Al McGuire?, it's going to be a "white knuckler"...As great as it is to win the close ones, I am really hoping for the former. My heart needs a breather.

devildownunder
02-15-2009, 06:37 PM
Nolan's play aside, I thought we looked pretty good in the first half. I'm thrilled with what Lance has been doing, and overall things seem to be going well. Offensive rebounding has been a key plus as well.

Back to Nolan for a second, what the heck is up with him? I've read some speculation about his knee still bothering him, but even if that is true, that shouldn't affect things like his shot. He really needs to get things figured out...

We need to make sure Rice doesn't start burning us in the 2nd half. He started to light things up there at the end of the 1st.

What's wrong with Nolan? Probably has something to do with him having no idea what his role is supposed to be right now, or how he's supposed to go about filling it. I feel bad for the guy.

Oriole Way
02-15-2009, 06:39 PM
I really think we need to severely de-emphasize the 3-pt shot in our offense, especially on the road. We're not a good 3-pt shooting team, and we take way too many.

Gerald seems to be our main offensive threat who takes good looks and makes them. Besides him and Paulus, no one else should be attempting more than one or two a game. Really wish Singler would quit throwing up bricks from 3.

devildownunder
02-15-2009, 06:41 PM
an early-2nd half three from Singler. That's a good sign he's got something left in the tank. And Lance contributes! Keep fighting guys!

MChambers
02-15-2009, 06:42 PM
What's wrong with Nolan? Probably has something to do with him having no idea what his role is supposed to be right now, or how he's supposed to go about filling it. I feel bad for the guy.

A couple of weeks ago, word was he had a bad back. If that's still the case, it would explain quite a bit. Remember that Duke doesn't publicize its injuries, so it is quite possible that he is struggling physically.

FireOgilvie
02-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Nolan's never been an offensive powerhouse, but come on. He is in a huge hole right now.

Greg, on the other hand, has come out competing well. He's so underrated on the defensive end. He's not a great on ball guy, but he does an efficient enough job keeping with non-Lawsons, and his play in the passing lanes and off the ball are exceptional. Very heady.

I'd like to see him get more looks offensively, though. With nobody else on the team hitting a thing from three, we could really use Greg's outside touch.

Maybe it's just me, but we do a horrible job of finding Greg when he's free. Sometimes, it's like he's invisible.

We don't need more 3 pointers... we need to go inside. Paulus hasn't had much "touch" this year; Nolan is shooting a better percentage on the year. Also, Nolan looked good in the 2nd half of the UNC game... but he does look really bad today so far. Paulus looks off right now in the 2nd half though. Several silly fouls. Some consistency from either one of them would be nice.

hedgehog
02-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Here's the link to live tempo-based stats (http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=2037) for the BC/Duke game. The starters are now posted.

By the way, we're trying out a new live +/- number as well. We're still working out the kinks, but it should be close either way.

Look great! One suggestion, though. For ever other stat,the one highlighted in yellow is for the team doing better at that state - except TO%. You might either want to highlight the one with the lower percentage or change this stat to %TO forced by the defense.

devildownunder
02-15-2009, 06:55 PM
A couple of weeks ago, word was he had a bad back. If that's still the case, it would explain quite a bit. Remember that Duke doesn't publicize its injuries, so it is quite possible that he is struggling physically.

his back didn't seem to bother him against UNC. I guess it's possible that's when he hurt it. He's got to be shaken mentally, though. The challenges he's faced this year trying to contribute to this team have been enormous.

grossbus
02-15-2009, 06:57 PM
LT commits the most infuriating fouls.

DUKIE V(A)
02-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Will there be a possession for either team where a foul isn't called? We need to be aggressive and make our free throws! One more foul on RIce would be nice. He needs a rest.

geraldsneighbor
02-15-2009, 06:58 PM
The 3rd foul on Greg was a joke. This is getting absurd. They better start evening this out. Need to start cutting off Rice going through the lane and start applying pressure on them again.

Duke79UNLV77
02-15-2009, 06:59 PM
8 minutes into the 2nd half.

FireOgilvie
02-15-2009, 07:02 PM
I have no idea if Nolan is injured, but I don't think it's an excuse. His problems seem more mental than anything. Paulus was in a slump in the beginning of the season when he wasn't starting, and now that he's starting again he looks more confident. I think Nolan might have the same problem. He was starting all year and now he's coming off the bench. You could tell that in the UNC game he had a completely different attitude; he was very aggressive. Henderson has stated that he plays better when he's angry. I think the same goes for Nolan.

devildownunder
02-15-2009, 07:05 PM
I hope this espn gamecast is inaccurate because it has described all but 2 of BC's second-half baskets as as a lay-up or a dunk. Please tell me we are defending better than that.

IBleedBlue
02-15-2009, 07:06 PM
It is frustrating to follow this game. We blow a 13 point lead and our offense stalls at the right time.
Is there anyone on this team that can help Henderson and singler?

arnie
02-15-2009, 07:19 PM

Does Paulus also have a bad back?

SupaDave
02-15-2009, 07:23 PM
It is frustrating to follow this game. We blow a 13 point lead and our offense stalls at the right time.
Is there anyone on this team that can help Henderson and singler?

Interesting first post.

trey
02-15-2009, 07:24 PM
What kinda call was that?

Hancock 4 Duke
02-15-2009, 07:25 PM
That was only 4 fouls on LT. I counted, and you can check all of the box scores on all of the websites. Coach K should mention that to the referee.

Huh?
02-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Does Paulus also have a bad back?

No, just bad feet.

House G
02-15-2009, 07:27 PM
How many more times will Tim Brando say "The iron is kind"

bfree
02-15-2009, 07:29 PM
You show them a gimmick defense enough times, any good team will break it....

Huh?
02-15-2009, 07:31 PM
2 Paulus starts, 2 losses.

BlueintheFace
02-15-2009, 07:32 PM

2 games with Nolan playing at Duke, 2 losses... this is a fun game

trey
02-15-2009, 07:33 PM
It must be nice to win your National Championship in February, at home no less!

SupaDave
02-15-2009, 07:33 PM

And your point is? We also have losses without Paulus starting.

PLEASE - let's keep it more productive. It's pointless to quibble.

pratt '04
02-15-2009, 07:34 PM

Paulus started the Miami game, and we won that one.

SupaDave
Storming the court has become such a fad...

devildownunder
How many more times will Tim Brando say "The iron is kind"

Perhaps you've never heard him do a game before. It's all he ever says.

Huh?
02-15-2009, 07:35 PM
My point is why change something in the middle of the year? I know Nolan wasn't playing well, but we were 20-3 with him starting.....if it ain't broke don't fix it.

SupaDave
02-15-2009, 07:37 PM
My point is why change something in the middle of the year? I know Nolan wasn't playing well, but we were 20-3 with him starting.....if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Maybe you haven't noticed that Nolan is actually IN these games.

AND your point is moot b/c Paulus started and we began the game drilling BC.