PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky has its man

dukemsu
04-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Billy D and Barnes have each said no thanks to the UK job, as I'm sure most of us know by now.

Tonight, I've seen posts from the UK board saying it's Gillespie. I've also seen some posts from Michigan State that UK is currently wooing Izzo at the Masters.

Yeesh.

Hope this gets solved soon. Unless people keep turning them down. In that case, it could get funny.

dukemsu

kydevil
04-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Billy D and Barnes have each said no thanks to the UK job, as I'm sure most of us know by now.

Tonight, I've seen posts from the UK board saying it's Gillespie. I've also seen some posts from Michigan State that UK is currently wooing Izzo at the Masters.

Yeesh.

Hope this gets solved soon. Unless people keep turning them down. In that case, it could get funny.

dukemsu

Indeed I would love to see them keep getting turned down.... as people in lexington still dont realize... this is no longer a dream job.

Duke15304
04-05-2007, 11:03 PM
but if people kept saying no...what would the chances be they would be interested in jonny

Wander
04-05-2007, 11:30 PM
I wonder if this will turn into this year's version of NC State... that would be hilarious.

ehdg
04-05-2007, 11:36 PM
I wonder if this will turn into this year's version of NC State... that would be hilarious.

Or how bout the year folks kept turning down unc. :p

Uncle Drew
04-06-2007, 12:58 AM
I think Matt D is available!

madscavenger
04-06-2007, 01:12 AM
[QYUOTE=Wander;14351]I wonder if this will turn into this year's version of NC State... that would be hilarious.[/QUOTE]

You want hilarious? Start spreading the rumor that Christian Laettner has not returned their calls.

But his agent HAS.

gannon4429
04-06-2007, 08:16 AM
This coaching vacancy turmoil can only be bad for their recruiting efforts. If I was a young kid and saw what a time they were having trying to fill that job, I would be concerned. And why is it so difficult??? Maybe it's the expectations of coaching there that one would put on themselves, or maybe it's the expectations from the alums, boosters and fans. Interesting to watch this play out.

dukeENG2003
04-06-2007, 08:19 AM

You want hilarious? Start spreading the rumor that Christian Laettner has not returned their calls.

But his agent HAS.

HAHAHAHA, lol

JasonEvans
04-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Its Gillespie. Its a done deal.

Hey, they got their third choice.

I need to think a bit about what I think of this hire. Gillespie certainly had a good team this year but I think last year's Texas A&M was built on playing one of the most ridiculously easy schedules EVER.

I've never really studied his recruiting to see if he can bring in the studs. In fairness though, recruiting at A&M and recruiting at Kentucky are two very different animals. We'll see very quickly. More than anything else, recruiting is what got Tubby forced out.

-Jason "Kentucky fans better just hope that Gillespie was not just a product of getting lucky on Acie Law" Evans

JasonEvans
04-06-2007, 08:27 AM
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070406/SPORTS03/70406009/1002/SPORTS

Link saying Gillespie will be introduced today at noon.

-Jason

texasdevil06
04-06-2007, 08:52 AM
I've never really studied his recruiting to see if he can bring in the studs.
Gillespie's had 4 straight top 25-ish classes at UTEP and A&M. He also has a 5-star 7-footer coming in next year out of Houston, DeAndre Jordan.

DBR talks about the Beasley situation at K-State with Huggins leaving, but the Jordan situation will be more interesting to me if Gillespie leaves and he wants out of his LOI. I've thought ever since I saw him play that Duke should have recruited him. He played in the private school league here in Houston and could likely pass academic muster at Duke.

Jordan would probably want to play in Austin, however, and I doubt A&M would let him go to play there...LOL.

lavell12
04-06-2007, 10:00 AM
Gillispe is heading to KY the TX A&M coach is heading to Lexington according to ESPN.

Patrick Yates
04-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Talk about a stud. He, is considered one of the bigger McD's snubs in history.

This is a kid that would solve our post woes immediately. While he does not possess polished post moves, he is a big, athletic, shot-blocking, rebounding stud. With the scorers we have, or will have, all DJ needs to do is defend, get trash buckets, and rebound. He would look like a future hall of famer. Sure, he could be a one-and-done, but if you add him to our class it becomes a "super-group" that could push Duke into contention for the NC next year. Also, his presence would help with the development of BZ tremendiously. It would allow Singler to play more on the wing, and would allow a great linup featuring DJ, LT, and KS on the court at the same time. We would be able to go smaller more effectively also, because DJ would be the post anchor that "small-ball" needs to truly thrive.

If his recruitment were to open up, (assuming he doesn't go to KY) he would be a massive get who would really let Duke flourish next year. I mean, wowza.

FF, NC, all would be within our reach.

Patrick Yates

Troublemaker
04-06-2007, 11:31 AM
I guess it depends on how successfully he recruits, but Gillispie is a very good coach who otherwise should restore UK to prominence. Good nab by them.

Duvall
04-06-2007, 11:38 AM
I guess it depends on how successfully he recruits, but Gillispie is a very good coach who otherwise should restore UK to prominence. Good nab by them.

This is why the Kentucky athletic department has been much smarter than UNC in 2000 - after they missed on their dream candidate, they didn't get hung up on on "family" nonsense. They just went after the top coaches out there and waited until they found one that said yes.

UK will be fine. Then again, fine isn't enough for UK fan...

houstondukie
04-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Why are we talking about DeAndre Jordan? We never offered and he was never interested (according to the recruiting services).

Kewlswim
04-06-2007, 02:26 PM
Talk about a stud. He, is considered one of the bigger McD's snubs in history.

This is a kid that would solve our post woes immediately. While he does not possess polished post moves, he is a big, athletic, shot-blocking, rebounding stud. With the scorers we have, or will have, all DJ needs to do is defend, get trash buckets, and rebound. He would look like a future hall of famer. Sure, he could be a one-and-done, but if you add him to our class it becomes a "super-group" that could push Duke into contention for the NC next year. Also, his presence would help with the development of BZ tremendiously. It would allow Singler to play more on the wing, and would allow a great linup featuring DJ, LT, and KS on the court at the same time. We would be able to go smaller more effectively also, because DJ would be the post anchor that "small-ball" needs to truly thrive.

If his recruitment were to open up, (assuming he doesn't go to KY) he would be a massive get who would really let Duke flourish next year. I mean, wowza.

FF, NC, all would be within our reach.

Patrick Yates

Hi,

I hope it does open up, and he comes to Duke, but no tampering!

GO DUKE!

lavell12
04-08-2007, 07:48 PM
He is ranked as the number 2 Center at scout.com and has commited to Texas A&M does anyone know if he is staying there or headed to Kentucky? Because if he wants out of A&M he would be a good fit.

tamu88
04-09-2007, 10:33 AM
but if people kept saying no...what would the chances be they would be interested in jonny

You would send Dawkins into that hornet's nest?!? some fan you are.

tamu88
04-09-2007, 10:39 AM
We have a tradition at TAMU. Aggie Muster is every April 21 when we remember those members of the Aggie Family who have passed on. There are Muster ceremonies all over the world - the largest, of course, is in College Station. There is the "Roll Call for the Absent," because if you are an Aggie, you are always an Aggie and someone will always answer your name at roll call. If for some reason Gillespie's name is ever called, no one will answer.

Not that I'm bitter, mind you!