PDA

View Full Version : Greensboro Subregional Discussion

dairedevil
02-13-2009, 10:55 AM
It may be premature, but others have made comment on the importance of getting to go to Greensboro for the first round of NCAA games. Common thought is that no more than 2 ACC teams will make it to that site. Is it really an advantage to get Greensboro if the other team is UNC? It seems that in previous years, the majority of "fans" will be converted to baby blue, and cheer against Duke, which negates any perceived home court advantage we would get by staying geographically close to home.
It has happened a number of times since the pod system was started, usually when both teams were seeded 1 or 2 in their region.

CDu
02-13-2009, 11:01 AM
It may be premature, but others have made comment on the importance of getting to go to Greensboro for the first round of NCAA games. Common thought is that no more than 2 ACC teams will make it to that site. Is it really an advantage to get Greensboro if the other team is UNC? It seems that in previous years, the majority of "fans" will be converted to baby blue, and cheer against Duke, which negates any perceived home court advantage we would get by staying geographically close to home.
It has happened a number of times since the pod system was started, usually when both teams were seeded 1 or 2 in their region.

It is only advantageous in that it requires less travel for the players. But yes, it will not be advantageous in terms of fan base. Greensboro will be a UNC home gym (regardless of the games played) if UNC is there. It will not be advantageous (from the fan perspective) for Duke if Duke and UNC are there. The question is whether it's better to play a "road" game close to home or whether it's better to play a neutral game further away.

davekay1971
02-13-2009, 11:03 AM
It's a great point. When Duke and UNC shared Charlotte a few years back, the crowd was probably more vehemently anti-Duke than it would have been if Duke had played just about anywhere else in the country (save the Dean Dome). Charlotte is just a rabidly pro-Holes area. Of course, anywhere Duke plays the majority of the crowd will be against them - part of that is the anti-Duke thing, part is the tendency of neutral fans to pull for the underdog. My feeling, however, is that sharing a locale with UNC anywhere in North Carolina will make the crowd more vehemently anti-Duke. That being said, if we really have aspirations to be a final four team, much less a contender, we should be able to take care of the first two rounds (particularly if we maintain ourselves as a 1 or 2 seed) wherever we play.

SMO
02-13-2009, 11:42 AM

I'd rather Duke play in the non-DC part of the Mid-Atlantic or Northeast to avoid too much travel distance and rabid anti-Duke fanaticism.

Edouble
02-13-2009, 11:58 AM
The question is whether it's better to play a "road" game close to home or whether it's better to play a neutral game further away.

Yeah, this is basically what it boils down to. I personally think that it is advantageous to play in Greensborough. I think that the level of anti-Duke sentiments in the crowd has something to do with the order of the games.

In situations in the past when Duke and UNC are playing in back to back games, I remember that the effects are worse if UNC plays first. The crowd is usually amped up after a UNC win (usually) and they're usually willing to stick around to see if Duke's opponent gets off to a good start. If the game is competative, the 'Heels fans will stick around and things tend to build against the Blue Devils, somewhat exponentially, as the game is close, and the fans are against us. If Duke starts out hot, alot of the 'Heels fans will leave, and things get exponentially better for us--our team can hear mainly just our fans cheering for them, and we are winning the game.

If Duke plays before UNC, I feel like the effects of the 'Heels fans are felt to much less of a degree. IIRC, the 'Heels fans are not chomping at the bit to show up two and a half hours early just to cheer against the Devils in a game where Duke is seeded higher and will probably win anyway.

So overall, I think the situation gets really bad when UNC plays first and we get off to a slow start. The chances of this happening are low enough so that I think it is an advantage to get the Greensborough pod.

jjasper0729
02-13-2009, 11:58 AM
charlotte is much more pro-unc and that's why that time there wasn't so good from a fan base perspective. I think we have played more games in g-boro during regular seasons past and it would be a little less hostile if both were at the greensboro site.

Indoor66
02-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Personally I would prefer Duke to travel for the first round games. I think it helps focus to have the team in an out of town hotel for the games.

rasputin
02-13-2009, 01:02 PM
I'd rather have Duke in Greensboro because I have tickets to the games there. :D

mddukefan
02-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Isn't true that most places Duke plays (Cameron aside) that majority of the fans will be against them? There are a lot of Duke Haters out there, plus neutral fans at games that are just going to sway towards the underdog. I'm sure a ton of people watching the Belmont game last year became huge Belmont fans as the game went on. I'm happy to see Duke play anywhere in the Tournament this year. If Greensboro is the easiest on the kids from a travel/mental standpoint that will be the destination that i'm pulling for...

dairedevil
02-13-2009, 02:47 PM
Yeah, this is basically what it boils down to. I personally think that it is advantageous to play in Greensborough. I think that the level of anti-Duke sentiments in the crowd has something to do with the order of the games.

In situations in the past when Duke and UNC are playing in back to back games, I remember that the effects are worse if UNC plays first. The crowd is usually amped up after a UNC win (usually) and they're usually willing to stick around to see if Duke's opponent gets off to a good start. If the game is competative, the 'Heels fans will stick around and things tend to build against the Blue Devils, somewhat exponentially, as the game is close, and the fans are against us. If Duke starts out hot, alot of the 'Heels fans will leave, and things get exponentially better for us--our team can hear mainly just our fans cheering for them, and we are winning the game.

If Duke plays before UNC, I feel like the effects of the 'Heels fans are felt to much less of a degree. IIRC, the 'Heels fans are not chomping at the bit to show up two and a half hours early just to cheer against the Devils in a game where Duke is seeded higher and will probably win anyway.

So overall, I think the situation gets really bad when UNC plays first and we get off to a slow start. The chances of this happening are low enough so that I think it is an advantage to get the Greensborough pod.

I hadn't thought of it as a timing of the games issue. Of course, it's probably not as much for the first round of games. Have they ever had Duke and unc back to back for those? But the second round is another story as the first round losers sell tickets to the next round of games. And while I understand the cheering for the underdog (I've done it many times, myself), and the generic hatred for Duke, I think that if you are in Carolina country, many of those seats that are picked up will be bought by carolina fans, so the vitriol is greater.

It's not that I think that this team is so fragile that they can't take the negative cheers. I think, hope and pray that we will be fine this year. I'm also trying to temper my expectations, because there are some scary good teams out there. And there is a lot of basketball to be played. It just really bugs me to see a crowd be SOOO against Duke. And then, there they are just going crazy for unc...where's the support for the underdog then? Where's the hate for the successful, always up there, loved by espn, gets all the calls team? Doesn't that describe unc?? I know all the reasons they get the cheers...large state school vs elite private means larger fan base, etc., but on this issue I make the choice to be unreasonable. And I will cheer them wherever they are! GO DUKE!!!!!

arnie
02-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Isn't true that most places Duke plays (Cameron aside) that majority of the fans will be against them? There are a lot of Duke Haters out there, plus neutral fans at games that are just going to sway towards the underdog. I'm sure a ton of people watching the Belmont game last year became huge Belmont fans as the game went on. I'm happy to see Duke play anywhere in the Tournament this year. If Greensboro is the easiest on the kids from a travel/mental standpoint that will be the destination that i'm pulling for...

We should lobby for the NCAA to have an Alaska subregional; and then lobby to play there - that may be the only place (outside of CIS) where we would have support.

brumby041
02-13-2009, 04:16 PM
MSG is usually pretty friendly.

We also seem to have pretty good luck in NJ.:D

jjasper0729
02-13-2009, 04:19 PM
not sure if this is the thread for it, but DeCourcy has the mock bracket that the usbwa does in the same fashion as the selection committee and they have Duke going to Philly and Clemson joining UNC in Greensboro

Article with Link to Bracket (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=517425)

hurleyfor3
02-13-2009, 05:22 PM
We should lobby for the NCAA to have an Alaska subregional; and then lobby to play there - that may be the only place (outside of CIS) where we would have support.

We already play in Alaska every year. They don't like us too much there.

(That's a Gary Williams reference.)

The 2004 and 2006 ACC Championship games were in Greensboro and had very pro-Duke crowds. So was 2005 (DC) and to a lesser extent 2002 (Charlotte). The trick is not to have any other local teams playing.

When did this whole "people at a neutral court hating us" thing start, anyway? Was it Rupp in 1998, which K largely brought on himself?

duke2x
02-13-2009, 07:18 PM
The anti-Duke sentiment has come in differing degress. I've heard K said he first noticed it after the '91 season. I think it's gotten worse recently because of alleged officiating bias. I try to make at least 1 Duke NCAA tournament game every year. Lexington, DC, and Charlotte are the only places where the crowd was strongly anti-Duke.

Recognizing correlation does not mean causation and past performance does not predict future results, Duke has made past the 1st 2 rounds 10/11 times (91%) when playing in NC 1985-present. That number drops to 7/12 (58%) when we don't play in NC. The Sweet 16 numbers: Duke made the Final 4 7/7 times when playing in NYC/Philly. That number drops to 30% (3/10) elsewhere.

I'm hoping we end up in Greensboro because I ordered tickets last spring (still waiting to get them). My 2nd choice would probably be Philly or Miami. I think Clemson has the edge on us for Greensboro unless they slump a little or we beat them in the ACC tournament. It's not good that we are 0-3 against the top teams in the ACC right now for subregional seeding purposes.

geraldsneighbor
02-13-2009, 07:23 PM
We already play in Alaska every year. They don't like us too much there.

(That's a Gary Williams reference.)

The 2004 and 2006 ACC Championship games were in Greensboro and had very pro-Duke crowds. So was 2005 (DC) and to a lesser extent 2002 (Charlotte). The trick is not to have any other local teams playing.

When did this whole "people at a neutral court hating us" thing start, anyway? Was it Rupp in 1998, which K largely brought on himself?

I was at the Duke-Belmont game last year, and that crowd was all anti-Duke. Alot had to do with WVU which traveled really well. Plus, people cheer for upsets. The Saturday game Duke-WVU was pretty much a WVU home game. That day may never leave my system.

DukeDevilDeb
02-13-2009, 07:51 PM
I was at the Duke-Belmont game last year, and that crowd was all anti-Duke. Alot had to do with WVU which traveled really well. Plus, people cheer for upsets. The Saturday game Duke-WVU was pretty much a WVU home game. That day may never leave my system.

I was in Charlotte in 2005 when we played the first two rounds there, and it was as bad as it could get. Our game was the last or second to last--UNC had already played and won. Not only were the Carolina fans as loud and as obnoxious as possible; they were joined by the fans of EVERY OTHER TEAM that played there. Those of us who were cheering for Duke couldn't be heard at all. And everyone in the place was wearing baby blue... I thought I was in the Dean Dome. Have you ever heard thousands of people cheering for Mississippi State? That's what happened when we played them.

However, there was good news. We won both games in Charlotte and made it to the Sweet 16. But if Carolina is going to be in Charlotte or Greensboro or even Alaska, I want Duke somewhere far, far away! :D

GO DEVILS!

dukebballcamper90-91
02-13-2009, 10:17 PM
I hope we get the heck out of the state and I'm from here. I don't like sharing nothing with the tar holes

geraldsneighbor
02-15-2009, 08:59 PM
Might be a mute point now. Could be Philadelphia bound.

weezie
02-15-2009, 09:02 PM
If we keep this up, we'll be wearing sunblock in Phoenix.

geraldsneighbor
02-15-2009, 09:03 PM
I hope we are playing in a sweet 16 anywhere. Just let's not go to Boise!

Kewlswim
02-15-2009, 11:05 PM
I hope we are playing in a sweet 16 anywhere. Just let's not go to Boise!

Hi,

I have family there. It is a perfectly nice town.

GO DUKE

geraldsneighbor
02-15-2009, 11:21 PM
Hi,

I have family there. It is a perfectly nice town.

GO DUKE

I meant I don't want us to have to travel far two weekends in a row. Don't take the Boise remark personal. I like the blue turf.

GoingFor#5
02-16-2009, 12:09 AM
I think Duke is pretty popular in the northeast and as long as its away from NC and the mid-Atlantic it's just your normal underdog cheering which can easily be counteracted with a blowout.

geraldsneighbor
02-16-2009, 12:13 AM
It isn't like Duke hasn't had success in the Wachovia Center either. (Although by that point the arena might have another name change)

Ignatius07
03-11-2009, 07:22 PM
It looks like Duke has a solid chance of drawing Greensboro if we beat Wake or win the ACC Tournament. Personally I don't think this is a good thing because of all the UNC fans.

I was wondering about the Greensboro Coliseum generally. Is it a big arena? Are there areas that afford worse views than one might expect? Obviously the nosebleed section is the least desirable, but how would seats there compare to an NBA arena or Cameron?

(I asked this in the Ticket Exchange forum but I'm not looking for tix, just information on the arena)

SharkD
03-11-2009, 08:35 PM
The Coliseum is the largest indoor stadium in North Carolina (23,500 seats) and one of the largest in the Southeast.

The sightlines are generally pretty good, but the far away seats are very far away. Despite having more seats, the Charlotte Coliseum always felt a little more intimate, if more cramped.

Compared to Cameron, it feels like... well... a stadium 2.3x larger. The next largest arena in NC, IIRC, is the Dean Dome.

http://www.greensborocoliseum.com/ae_files/tickets/images/basketball_small.gif
click to enlarge (http://www.greensborocoliseum.com/images/full_size_seating_charts/basketball_large.gif)

http://inlinethumb10.webshots.com/38857/1534674863057247242S600x600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb47.webshots.com/40622/2047774980084207169S600x600Q85.jpg

devildownunder
03-11-2009, 08:59 PM
unless something has changed in how they do the pods, i think we'll be in greensboro no matter how we finished. The old notion that you played your 1st & 2nd round games close to home as a reward seems to be out the window. they pack as many teams as close to home as possible, to maximise crowds and reduce travel costs.

geraldsneighbor
03-11-2009, 09:17 PM
unless something has changed in how they do the pods, i think we'll be in greensboro no matter how we finished. The old notion that you played your 1st & 2nd round games close to home as a reward seems to be out the window. they pack as many teams as close to home as possible, to maximise crowds and reduce travel costs.

If Wake beats us they would have earned that right to stay at home. They can't keep Duke, Wake, and UNC all at home since the potential second round opponents they have will also have to play there to fill out the 8 teams that will be sent to Greensboro.

patentgeek
03-11-2009, 09:22 PM
My guess is that the hated Heels will get one spot in Greensboro (that's a given), and the other spot is likley up for grabs between Duke and Wake. Personally, as long as the Heels are in Greensboro, I'd much rather travel anywhere else. One of the supposed benefits of the pod system is to reward the teams that have played well (i.e. the higher seeds) by allowing them to play close to home for their fans, but playing in front of a crowd that is 90 percent composed of your arch-rival's fans isn't much of a reward. It's one thing to go to a tournament site and have fans there root for the underdog in games - that's to be expected. It's another thing entirely for the large majority of the fans to have been trained since birth to despise your team.

(I realize that my 90 percent figure may seem like an exaggeration, but remember that Heels' fans have been expecting to play in Greensboro all season and have snapped up a lot of the tickets. The environment there may not be quite as hostile as Charlotte in 2005, but it will be close).

weezie
03-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Gboro is a fine place to watch a game and tailgate! Except for their relying on a dreadful teal and purple color scheme....ugh.

A little Miami wouldn't be so bad either, though.

geraldsneighbor
03-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Gboro is a fine place to watch a game and tailgate! Except for their relying on a dreadful teal and purple color scheme....ugh.

Who the heck's idea was that color scheme? It was like they were trying to woo the Hornets to Greensboro.

-bdbd
03-12-2009, 12:48 AM
I've been to Duke games in Greensboro, and in Charlotte, and in DC and in NJ and NYC. Absolutely the most intensity for 'haters is near "rival" schools, esp those with whom we may have had some success -- Lexington, KY; DC (MD fans and media rule); and of course UNC-ch in most of NC.

Funny thing is, when the "rival" fans aren't present, those places are generally fine -- Duke vs Georgetown in the MCI Center in DC was probably a majority Duke crowd, but when the ACC tournament was played in the same building (or last year's 1st 2 rounds with WVU crowd there) it was pretty hostile - but the WVU fans weren't as intense as anti-Dukies as I've seen from KY, MD and UNC fans. We've even played in the Dean Dome for early NCAA rounds before (where the home school wasn't allowed to play), and the place was downright hospitable.

But G'boro, given that it'll be overflowing with raving Kerlina lunatics, will not be a positive for our boys -- no mattewr how convenient it may be for some of us. I'd much prefer to play up in the NE somewhere, such as Philly, where the fans don't really care so much about Duke one way or the other, or further west. (Of course, each school's fans will root against their opponent, but you'll never see the intense, nastry, loud, pure hostility that you'll see in Greensboro.

I like this team. I like our chances. Not a FF lock by any means, but they are certainly CAPABLE of getting there. My #2 team will be OKLA and Capel's boys. 'hope to see y'all in Michigan!!

-BDBD :D

House G
03-12-2009, 07:58 AM

Why am I not surprised that you have tailgated there! :)

feldspar
03-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Who the heck's idea was that color scheme? It was like they were trying to woo the Hornets to Greensboro.

Greensboro has long been the home of the ACC tournament, so I'm guessing they were looking for a color scheme that would be ACC-neutral.

hurleyfor3
03-12-2009, 11:09 AM
I was wondering about the Greensboro Coliseum generally. Is it a big arena? Are there areas that afford worse views than one might expect? Obviously the nosebleed section is the least desirable, but how would seats there compare to an NBA arena or Cameron)

I've been to a couple ACC Tournaments in Greensboro.

The building was remodeled in the mid-1990s. Mostly what they did is tore out the old upper deck and built a new bigger one, adding a few rows to the lower deck while they were at it. The result is that the first few rows of the UD are quite close to the action, compared to more recent arenas. There's a walkway above row C I think, so seats in the first three rows of the UD are quite close, and the few rows behind it still aren't that bad. If I were in the scalpers market I'd avoid anything above row G or H of the UD, however. The last few rows of the LD have a bit of an overhang, and arguably are worse than the front of the UD.

The row lettering is a bit screwy, which you can see in the diagrams a previous poster attached. The double letters start pretty low down, so a row such as FF is pretty good. The rows in the UD go from A-Z, then the last three rows are triple letters (AAA, BBB, CCC).

One more thing. At previous events it was possible to park on the street for free in the sketchy neighborhood to the east (across from Coliseum Boulevard). It's not unsafe, really; I just call it that because it's clearly not Greensboro's high-rent district. This may have changed recently, but if you see a lot of cars parked there you'll know it's OK.

DU82
03-12-2009, 04:49 PM

The floor for the women's tournament was dark green and dark blue, a change from the light green, teal and some orange, IIRC. You could really tell on hte video showing the 2008 tournament highlights before Sunday's game.

geraldsneighbor
03-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Duke and North Carolina won't play during the same sessions on the first day.

Kimist
03-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Duke and North Carolina won't play during the same sessions on the first day.

But assuming both teams win, the second session would be different.

I tend to agree with some posters: While Greensboro is not quite the hostile environment that Charlotte is toward Duke fans, in spite of the travel issues I almost would rather see the Devils play elsewhere.

Since it was virtually assured that the heels would be playing in Greensboro this year, rest assured there will be a lot of smurfs in the arena.

It could well be the Dean Dome-West for the first round.

k

WiJoe
03-13-2009, 12:23 AM
Just checked the NCAA website, and I can get two tickets at midcourt in row T of upper level. This absolutely stuns me, although I understand the holes fans are waiting for the brackets to be announced. How dumb is that? If they lose their first game in the ACC tournament they'll still be in Greensboro, unfortunately.

aro24
03-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Just a question to the masses.....the last time Duke was in the NCAA tourney in Greensboro, they held a practice open to the public for free on the day before (Wed.). Any word on if they are doing the same this year. Sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere...just have a few minutes to get on the computer this evening and I haven't seen this info anywhere.

Thanks.

ARo24

Ignatius07
03-16-2009, 07:37 PM
I'll be going down for the games this weekend in Greensboro and was looking for some general information about the best places to park as well as eat (maybe BBQ, but whatever's best, really). Within walking distance from the stadium would be preferable for both.

jimsumner
03-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Practices:

Noon-12:40 p.m. Game No. 1 Lower Seed – Butler

12:45-1:25 p.m. Game No. 2 Lower Seed – Radford

1:30-2:10 p.m. Game No. 1 Higher Seed – LSU

2:15-2:55 p.m. Game No. 2 Higher Seed – North Carolina

4:25-5:05 p.m. Game No. 3 Higher Seed – Texas

5:10-5:50 p.m. Game No. 4 Higher Seed – Duke

5:55-6:35 p.m. Game No. 3 Lower Seed – Minnesota

6:40-7:20 p.m. Game No. 4 Lower Seed – Binghamton

Indoor66
03-16-2009, 07:45 PM
I'll be going down for the games this weekend in Greensboro and was looking for some general information about the best places to park as well as eat (maybe BBQ, but whatever's best, really). Within walking distance from the stadium would be preferable for both.

Stamey's! (http://www.stameys.com/)

oso diablo
03-16-2009, 07:58 PM
anyone know the practice times?

oso diablo
03-16-2009, 08:00 PM
what day is that? Wednesday?

roywhite
03-16-2009, 08:02 PM
what day is that? Wednesday?

http://www.greensborosports.com/2009/03/16/greensboro-coliseum-announces-ncaa-practice-schedules-free-to-the-public/

Yes, Weds. 3/18; here's another link.

ArnieMc
03-17-2009, 09:03 AM
Does anyone know when the games will be Saturday? Is it an afternoon or evening session?

ForeverBlowingBubbles
03-17-2009, 09:21 AM
take a look

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney09/insider/news/story?id=3986309

The Gordog
03-17-2009, 09:56 AM
If we win on Thursday night, does anyone know what time our game on Saturday will be? I may need to set the DVR in advance....:D

jjasper0729
03-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Saturday, March 21

Greensboro, NC: 5:45 p.m. (16) Radford/(1) UNC – (9) Butler/(8) LSU

Greensboro, NC: 8:15 p.m. (15) Bing./(2) Duke – (10) Minn./(7) TX

Ignatius07
03-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Stamey's! (http://www.stameys.com/)

Any other suggestions for parking/eating?

namvet1965
03-17-2009, 01:31 PM
It ain't baby blue you know that! It's sky blue!

namvet1965
03-17-2009, 01:32 PM
It ain't baby blue you know that! It's sky blue!
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones

gofurman
03-18-2009, 03:01 PM
I saw an article that he may not play in the first game in Gboro? any info?

bjornolf
03-18-2009, 03:34 PM
I saw a live interview with Roy on ESPN about two hours ago. He said that unless there "something significant" happened soon (whatever that means), Lawson would not be playing.

He said that Lawson was shooting around and doing dummy drills, but hadn't gone against any live competition, and the toe is still touch and go. He said that he wasn't going to risk anything, and that it would NOT be left up to Ty. I really wonder if he hurt something in it worse during the game a couple weeks ago, and just didn't notice becuase of the shots.

Duvall
03-18-2009, 03:37 PM
He said that unless there "something significant" happened soon (whatever that means)...

http://images.surlatable.com/surlatable/images/en_US/local/products/detail/5210.jpg

bjornolf
03-18-2009, 03:39 PM
classic.

Lennies
03-18-2009, 03:45 PM
I love how the Tarheels made sure to release a statement before the seedings came out about how Lawson would definitely be ready to play when the tournament started...

BD80
03-18-2009, 03:46 PM
http://images.surlatable.com/surlatable/images/en_US/local/products/detail/5210.jpg

Make sure you get the correct toe. At least by the second or third try :D

OldPhiKap
03-18-2009, 03:52 PM

No wonder it went "wee, wee, wee" all the way home.

weezie
03-18-2009, 04:04 PM
I hope he's taking it easy, sitting around and eating lots of rich treats while he heals. Really, just chill Ty...have another piece of pie.

blueprofessor
03-18-2009, 04:16 PM
With some Novocain he probably wouldn't feel anything or injure it further.
Just kidding...sorta.

Best--Blueprofessor:)

P.S. It may be time to lock this thread before any intent to kill charges are identified by that hyper-vigilant UNC SID.

blueprofessor
03-18-2009, 04:28 PM
I hope he's taking it easy, sitting around and eating lots of rich treats while he heals. Really, just chill Ty...have another piece of pie.

...with the speakers blasting at 1:30 in the morning.

Best---Blueprof:)

rthomas
03-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Greensboro- Jim Nantz, Clark Kellog
Philadelphia- Dick Enberg, Carter Blackburn, Jay Bilas
Kansas City- Tim Brando, Mike Gminski
Portland- Kevin Harlan, Dan Bonner
Dayton- Verne Lundquist, Bill Raftery
Miami- Ian Eagle, Jim Sparnarkel
Minneapolis- Gus Johnson, Len Elmore
Boise- Craig Bolerjack, Dan Wenzel

I wish we had Gus Johnson. Becasue as far as I am concerned he is Mr. March Madness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkiM3tBJVhk

Bluedog
03-18-2009, 06:07 PM
Greensboro- Jim Nantz, Clark Kellog
Philadelphia- Dick Enberg, Carter Blackburn, Jay Bilas
Kansas City- Tim Brando, Mike Gminski
Portland- Kevin Harlan, Dan Bonner
Dayton- Verne Lundquist, Bill Raftery
Miami- Ian Eagle, Jim Sparnarkel
Minneapolis- Gus Johnson, Len Elmore
Boise- Craig Bolerjack, Dan Wenzel

I wish we had Gus Johnson. Becasue as far as I am concerned he is Mr. March Madness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkiM3tBJVhk

Thanks for the list. I think you mean Bob Wenzel. There is actually nobody on that list that I really can't stand listening to besides Elmore (so, I'm glad we don't have Gus even though I like his calls). I think CBS does a good job of getting the best announcers. I wonder why there is a team of three in Philly.

Mal
03-18-2009, 06:21 PM
I think you'll rather enjoy watching Johnson call the North Dakota State upset over Kansas, though. ;) Seriously, I don't know if they'll pull it off, but there's at least a pretty good chance it's an exciting game: NDSU is a very dangerous 14 seed, senior-laden with a superclutch leader, and they jack it up from downtown a lot. They're hitting something like 42% of their threes this year, and they're playing a couple hours from campus with a decent local alumni base. That sounds like something Johnson will relish if it turns into an actual game.

Personally, I cannot stand listening to Gus Johnson. I don't begrudge others their enjoyment of him - his level of excitement is just too over the top for my tastes. He seems to act like every second half basket is the greatest clutch shot miracle he's ever seen. There's also something about his cadence and the way he lingers on or emphasizes various syllables that totally gets under my skin. Can't really explain in written words, I guess, but I know he'd drive me up the wall if we got into a tight one in either of the first two rounds. So I'm glad he's not in Greensboro.

rthomas
03-18-2009, 06:39 PM
I think you'll rather enjoy watching Johnson call the North Dakota State upset over Kansas, though. ;) Seriously, I don't know if they'll pull it off, but there's at least a pretty good chance it's an exciting game: NDSU is a very dangerous 14 seed, senior-laden with a superclutch leader, and they jack it up from downtown a lot. They're hitting something like 42% of their threes this year, and they're playing a couple hours from campus with a decent local alumni base. That sounds like something Johnson will relish if it turns into an actual game.

Personally, I cannot stand listening to Gus Johnson. I don't begrudge others their enjoyment of him - his level of excitement is just too over the top for my tastes. He seems to act like every second half basket is the greatest clutch shot miracle he's ever seen. There's also something about his cadence and the way he lingers on or emphasizes various syllables that totally gets under my skin. Can't really explain in written words, I guess, but I know he'd drive me up the wall if we got into a tight one in either of the first two rounds. So I'm glad he's not in Greensboro.

If Gus Johnson is announcing, you are interested in the game. North Dakota State vs Kansas, who really cares. Gus Johnson makes you care. In reality I'm only interested in 1.5% of the first round games. But I hope I'm watching when North Dakota State upsets Kansas if Gus Johnson is announcing it.

flyingdutchdevil
03-18-2009, 06:54 PM
Batista with the CATCH!!!!!!!!!

Gus Johnson is awesome. His passion is great. My personal favorite announcer. That said, I'm happy he's not our commentator. He would, without question, exacerbate my already on-going heart attack.

Mike Corey
03-18-2009, 06:57 PM
Gus was arrested Saturday in Memphis...but it looks as if no charges were filed, so he should still be covering the game.

roywhite
03-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Gus was arrested Saturday in Memphis...but it looks as if no charges were filed, so he should still be covering the game.

http://thebiglead.com/?p=12503

Hadn't heard that, Mike, but was able to find this mention; sounds like a bit of an argument at a restaurant.

By the way, it's pretty neat that of the Sweet (sounding) Sixteen (or 17) broadcasters, 3 are Dukies, or 4 if you count Wenzel's gig as an asst. coach.

texdevil22
03-18-2009, 07:16 PM
While I suppose that his presence could ignore Duke's 2 games and focus mainly on that other local team's games, I think that given Gus Johnson's uncanny history of being on hand to call so many upsets in the past should be a good sign for Duke fans. I would be nervous if I tuned in on Saturday evening to hear Gus Johnson announcing the lineups for Duke-Texas/Minnesota.

sagegrouse
03-18-2009, 07:51 PM
(1) Duke is drawing the #1 announcing team, which will get familiar with Duke to prepare for the FF. Surely the presence of UNC had nothing to do with it.;)

(2) On the eight announcing teams, there are four Duke guys: three players/alumni (G-man, Bilas, and Spanarkel) and one coach (Wenzel).

sagegrouse

mgtr
03-18-2009, 07:55 PM
(2) On the eight announcing teams, there are four Duke guys: three players/alumni (G-man, Bilas, and Spanarkel) and one coach (Wenzel).

sagegrouse

OK, now we know about the wight announcing teams, when do we find out about the weft announcing teams?? :D

Sorry, it was too good a softball to pass up!

micah75
03-18-2009, 08:04 PM
http://thebiglead.com/?p=12503

Hadn't heard that, Mike, but was able to find this mention; sounds like a bit of an argument at a restaurant.

Would have enjoyed hearing the play-by-play for that one. Dickie V: "He's a high-riser and a high-flyer, a PTPer baybee!!!" Followed by Tim Brando "The iron was unkind!" Then Dick Enberg: "Oh! My!" Along with Jay's "He's got chops!" And Kellog echoing those sentiments "Not only that, but he's got spurtability." Then when it was all over and they shook hands, Raftery says "Oooh, the KISS."

biscuit30
03-18-2009, 08:16 PM
I wonder why there is a team of three in Philly.

Just in case Bilas gets into another arguement, there will a third person to break up the possible fight.

weezie
03-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Who's going? Does anybody have a meeting place?

devildeac
03-18-2009, 10:32 PM
I saw a live interview with Roy on ESPN about two hours ago. He said that unless there "something significant" happened soon (whatever that means), Lawson would not be playing.

He said that Lawson was shooting around and doing dummy drills, but hadn't gone against any live competition, and the toe is still touch and go. He said that he wasn't going to risk anything, and that it would NOT be left up to Ty. I really wonder if he hurt something in it worse during the game a couple weeks ago, and just didn't notice becuase of the shots.

Dummy drills. Heh-heh-heh:rolleyes:

devildeac
03-18-2009, 10:33 PM

And a BBQ sammich from Stamey's, too.;)

devildeac
03-18-2009, 10:35 PM

This is meant for all the BBQ that Stamey's serves, correct?:rolleyes::eek:

roywhite
03-18-2009, 10:47 PM
This is meant for all the BBQ that Stamey's serves, correct?:rolleyes::eek:

A Duke--Kentucky discussion can break out at any minute.:)

Chopped or sliced BBQ?

I usually prefer chopped, but occasionally will go with sliced.

devildeac
03-18-2009, 11:01 PM

A Duke--Kentucky discussion can break out at any minute.:)

Chopped or sliced BBQ?

I usually prefer chopped, but occasionally will go with sliced.

With that weapon, definitely chopped...;):eek:

arydolphin
03-18-2009, 11:12 PM
I wonder why there is a team of three in Philly.

Just in case Bilas gets into another arguement, there will a third person to break up the possible fight.

It's not a team of 3. Enberg only calls one session of games in the first round. Blackburn is the play-by-play guy for the session that Enberg sits out. Bilas is the analyst for all of the games.

The interesting part to me, if Duke advances past this weekend, is which team will go to Boston to announce those games. I have a sneaky suspicion that the #1 team of Nantz and Kellogg would probably follow Carolina instead of Duke.

geraldsneighbor
03-18-2009, 11:52 PM
It's not a team of 3. Enberg only calls one session of games in the first round. Blackburn is the play-by-play guy for the session that Enberg sits out. Bilas is the analyst for all of the games.

The interesting part to me, if Duke advances past this weekend, is which team will go to Boston to announce those games. I have a sneaky suspicion that the #1 team of Nantz and Kellogg would probably follow Carolina instead of Duke.

I figure it'd be Nantz/Kellogg follow UNC. Lundquist follows Louisville. Boston would probably get the Enberg group with the last crew being Gus Johnson or Ian Eagle.

devildeac
03-19-2009, 09:28 PM
The wral blog discusses a nauseating (my word;)) sea of pale, pasty, washed out blue from this afternoon's session but a much more pleasing shade of royal blue this evening. My older daughter, a unc (cough, cough) grad went with her roomie and cheered for the 'holes earlier but they were staying for the Duke game and at least she was going to root on the guys in royal blue for the nightcap. I guess we didn't raise her too bad:rolleyes:;).

devildownunder
03-20-2009, 02:27 AM
I figure it'd be Nantz/Kellogg follow UNC. Lundquist follows Louisville. Boston would probably get the Enberg group with the last crew being Gus Johnson or Ian Eagle.

IIRC, the no.1 team seems to follow the most marquee foursome, not just one team.

If the seeds all held up (yeah, i know, it never happens) I would think the South and East and Midwest would all have far more cachet than the West, and I'd probably give a slight nod to Duke's foursome in Boston and Louisville quad in Arizona over UNC's in Memphis. But it's all extremely debatable.

The top four seeds in each region (again, if all 16 1-4 seeds advanced to the sweet 16, it would be a bigger upset than a 16 over a 1)

East

Pitt
Duke
Villanova
Xavier

South

UNC
OKlahoma
Syracuse
Gonzaga

Midwest

Louisville
Michigan State
Kansas
Wake Forest

West

Connecticut
Memphis
Missouri
Washington

Thoughts anyone?

dukeballer2294
03-22-2009, 02:55 AM
I have a question. I know we are finished with our games in greensboro but the wholr time i was hearing people say, it is packed with carolina fans. My question is Duke and carolina are sepereated by 6 miles and a few minutes. Why would there be so many more carolina fans then duke ones?
Thanks

kakalaki kidd
03-22-2009, 03:00 AM
one reason is there are just more unc fans that live in the state. carolina is a state school that produces 5 or 6 thousand more fans a year

eddiehaskell
03-22-2009, 04:21 AM
UNC fans heavily outnumber Duke fans in NC. I'm not trying to get racial/classist, but many people view Duke as the rich, elitist, white guys. It sounds stupid, I know.

-jk
03-22-2009, 08:11 AM
I have a question. I know we are finished with our games in greensboro but the wholr time i was hearing people say, it is packed with carolina fans. My question is Duke and carolina are sepereated by 6 miles and a few minutes. Why would there be so many more carolina fans then duke ones?
Thanks

They were preseason Number One, and held their own as the season wore on.

The NCAA reserves almost no tickets for the participating teams in the opening weekend, and all the general tickets were purchased by their fans in the all-too-likely event of playing there. The Duke and Wake fans weren't sure where they were going; only one of them would play in G'boro.

By the time the bracket was announced, there were just a few seats left upstairs.

(And, of course, there are way, way more of them than there are of us.)

-jk

slower
03-22-2009, 08:29 AM
one reason is there are just more unc fans that live in the state. carolina is a state school that produces 5 or 6 thousand more fans a year

That 5 to 6 thousand number is JUST graduates. They probably acquire a good deal more than that every year. Holes fans are ubiquitous, like kudzu or cane toads. My apologies to kudzu and cane toads for that comparison. :D

davekay1971
03-22-2009, 08:36 AM
For people who grow up in North Carolina, being a UNC fan is almost the "default". It doesn't matter what part of the state you visit, you'll find far more Tarheel fans than fans of any other team. Even in Durham, Winston-Salem, and Raleigh, this is true. I think the two main reasons are: (1) the longstanding success of the Tarhole basketball program (it's easy to root for a consistent winner), and (2) the fact that it's "the" state university (though why UNC gets that particular nod rather than NCSU is unclear to me). While it is true that Carolina simply graduates a lot more people than does Duke or Wake, it doesn't graduate more people than does State, or many of the other public universities. So the difference in number of people that support Carolina over State comes from the bandwagon effect - people who have no personal tie to either school (or who have personal ties to both schools, like family members who are alums) tend to cheer for Carolina, because they win a lot. It's hard to be a State fan - they have a way of ripping your heart out. Being a Carolina fan, though, is pretty easy (if you don't mind selling your soul). In fact, you'll find tons of people around the state who graduated from App St, UNC Charlotte, UNC W, etc, who still identify themselves primarily as Tarheel fans. Sad, but true.

My wife, who was born and raised in Carolina, actually grew up a State fan because she couldn't stand the number of bandwagon fans that would come out of the woodwork as soon as football season ended and basketball season began, wearing Carolina blue and professing their love for UNC when they'd never sat foot on campus. Because of those fans, she hates Carolina with a passion that even I can't match. God, I love that woman!

Misunderestimated
03-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Having lived in Charlotte my entire life, I think its a safe bet that 8 out of 10 babies born in the Carolinas come out Tarheel fans. A lot of transplants to the area pick up UNC as their 2nd favorite team, mainly due to most of the people they work around being UNC fans.

RelativeWays
03-22-2009, 08:47 AM
I grew up in Greensboro and its ACC fanbase is more varied than people give it credit for. Sure there are a lot of UNC and State fans, but that just comes with the territory, but you'll find more people wearing Duke merch than anywhere else I've been. There's also a decent number of Wake and VT fans due to Greensboro's proximity to Winston and the VA border (I think Blacksburg is just 2 hours away).
I had been a Duke fan throughout middle and high school, but I decided to go to UNC-Greensboro because they had the best broadcast and cinema school in the state (even over NC School of the arts at the time). My mother, who is in a longtime relationship with a UNC alum (my parents divorced a looooong time ago) tried to convince me that I should pull for the Holes because G was part of the UNC system. My response was:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA AAAAA!

It never came up again.

captmojo
03-22-2009, 09:07 AM
These responses are far too funny.

This the largest arena that could have been picked, near enough for the higher seed, that isn't in the Triangle or Charheel. It also has a great tradition and history. I particularly enjoyed all the media's concentration on Duke folks that had become strong LS&U fans without much mention of the hole people cheering on the Longhorns. This stuff borders on going to the "hatred tsunami" thread. The media is contributing their rub-in of "all the calls" in favor of Texas in highlight programs today as well. Check it out....and hold your nose. :cool:

captmojo
03-22-2009, 10:06 AM
I grew up in Greensboro and its ACC fanbase is more varied than people give it credit for. Sure there are a lot of UNC and State fans, but that just comes with the territory, but you'll find more people wearing Duke merch than anywhere else I've been. There's also a decent number of Wake and VT fans due to Greensboro's proximity to Winston and the VA border (I think Blacksburg is just 2 hours away).
I had been a Duke fan throughout middle and high school, but I decided to go to UNC-Greensboro because they had the best broadcast and cinema school in the state (even over NC School of the arts at the time). My mother, who is in a longtime relationship with a UNC alum (my parents divorced a looooong time ago) tried to convince me that I should pull for the Holes because G was part of the UNC system. My response was:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA AAAAA!

It never came up again.

I get the feeling you remember Woody Durham as WFMY's sports anchor/director. I also hope I'm not the only one who remembers the smarmy little 10sec spot they used to throw in, back in 1986 post-tournament, that was worded something like "Congratulations to the Duke Blue Devils, number two in the whole blooming world."

Of course by that time, Woody had already moved on to WTVD but his minions were still around. :cool:

GoingFor#5
03-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Who has more fans in the country, though? I mean, all of our games are on TV, more preferential coverage compared to the Holes. Of course the haters don't miss our games for anything either as they constantly need new youtube material to prove their referee and homo conspiracies.