PDA

View Full Version : Duke Basketball Camp

dukeballer2294
02-13-2009, 01:09 AM
I am looking into a basketball camp this summer and I was wondering if anyone had any insight on this one.
1. I am an aspiring high school player and am looking for a competitive camp fun or not
2. If this is only a fun/fundamentals camp does anyone no of any other camps that would be good
Any info on this would be great
-Thanks

jma4life
02-13-2009, 02:01 AM
I had a great experience at the camp. In terms of improving your game, I don't know how much better it is than most traditional basketball camps. You'll definitely have solid competition and the instruction is good. You're not going to become too much better a player from the camp alone but you'll learn get a good idea of drills, etc you can use to work on your game. It's definitely also motivating as a player to be around that atmosphere and near the greatness, I guess. When I went, we got to see the coaches put a couple players through workouts which was pretty instructional. You not only see the drills and all that but just the commitment and drive they have which is also good to see as a player. It's also a lot of fun when you get to scrimmage on cameron, though it's not full court.

Also, unfortunately I think they stopped doing this but when I went, you got to see the players scrimmage. As a huge Duke fan, it was great seeing those guys play over the sumer.

allenmurray
02-13-2009, 08:28 AM
My son is a pretty good high school basketball player. he went to the Duke camp one time. He had a great time, simply great. However, he learned very little. It is a lot of fun, but with 400+ campers, and constant games, there is little time for real skill development.

He went to the Oak Hill Camp last summer (it has A LOT of active involvement by the Oak Hill coach, Steve Smith. Smith has coached a few good players - Carelo Anthony, Michael Beasley, Ty Lawson, Ron Mercer, Rajon Rondo, Jerry Stackhouse, and most importatnlty, Nolan Smith). It did far more for his game than did the Duke camp.

BlueDevilJay
02-13-2009, 04:42 PM
I agree with allen there (did I seriously just say that? ;) ) in that I attended Duke Bball camp for 3 consecutive years back in my elementary and first two years of HS days, and while K's teaching is great to learn, actual skill development there is not a focus of the camps. Had a blast but alot was in part to me having the 'kid in a candy store' mentality while I was there, being a lifelong fan of Duke, and actually getting to 'live' the experience for several weeks. Awesome, but most of the elite players do not attend it.

shadowfax336
02-13-2009, 05:39 PM
There are always a few top-notch players around, but the average play level is lower than some more competitive camps. However the instruction is excellent if you're willing to listen and ask questions.

Hancock 4 Duke
02-13-2009, 06:21 PM
I am planning to go, too, and what I have reada is that there are many pick up games, but there is also one on one talks. I know this isn't enough info, but it's all I know so far.

dukeballer2294
02-13-2009, 07:18 PM
thanks for the insight i will look into the oak hill one as i am trying to find a competitive camp to see where my skill set is against other high school players. I have gone to mj flight school twice before and thought it was horrible.