PDA

View Full Version : Plenty of Positives Even in Defeat

DUKIE V(A)
02-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Someone in an earlier post commented that one of the reasons why these losses hurt particularly badly this season is that many of us believed (and some of us still believe) that this team has a chance to be very special. I find this statement to be spot on. Duke basketball has set such a high standard that it is almost impossible to consistently live up to it. We are unhappy with 28-6 seasons, find fault in hard fought victories, and complain about missing out on XYZ stud recruit instead of focusing on we do have -- which is A LOT. I think (as the previous writer indicated) we do this because we care so much. For me, the pain of losing to Carolina or whoever is compounded by the pure hatred that others feel for Duke -- especially in North Carolina and the DC Area (where I live). There is nothing like walking into work and being bombarded by taunts and insults on the day after a loss. (And I work in an Elementary School for kids with significant special needs and NEVER RUB IN ANY of our victories.) These are supposed to be nice people I am working with...and yet they feel the right to abuse me just because I am Duke fan. Anyway today, I walked into my school with my head held high. In reflecting on last night's game, I had a strange sense of calm come over me. Even after the painful, disappointing loss to the dreaded Holes, I believe we have a ton to be thankful for. These are the main three themes of my thoughts...

1. This team has incredible heart. We may not have a Ty Lawson-like talent...but I guess I feel like many of our players McClure, Thomas, Singler, Paulus, Hendo, Scheyer, etc...play just as hard as the player who many claim is the hardest playing baller in NCAA history. Our guys want it -- A LOT! In my book, this counts a ton. I am not happy about losing EVER. It still stings...but I can accept it when we play with heart. (BTW -- I also feel that last nights' crowd showed an amazing amount of heart. They seemed great from the Raycom feed I got.)

2. This team seems very unified -- which did not seem to be the case a couple years ago. This should IMO cannot be underestimated down the stretch and in the tournament.

3. Advancing far into the NCAA tournament will be challenging, but I see this as a possibility. Every game has the potential to be a battle. However, more than in recent years, we have been battle-tested and aside from the Clemson and Michigan #2 game have acquitted ourselves well. We have played a brutal schedule so far and that will continue down the stretch. I think this is good and will serve us well into the ACC and NCAA tournaments. (I subscribe to the theory that teams that play hard schedules and succeed [as I feel we have and will] are better able to handle tournament pressure.) In addition, we have seen good stretches of tournament quality defense throughout most of the season. And as seen in last night's first half when Singler, Hendo, and Scheyer are all on, we can be very difficult to stop. Plus, Smith and Paulus are showing signs of offensive life and McClure looks as explosive on the floor as I can remember him being.

I may be in the minority, but for the above reasons I still see great things from this team and feel really good about it. What do you all see as the positives? Am I onto something with my views or am I just drinking too much of the Koolaid?

Devilsfan
02-12-2009, 10:33 PM
I too love our heart. How that will carry us, well we certainly will know by the middle of the second week of NCAA play.

weezie
02-12-2009, 10:44 PM
No, DukieVa, you are not mistaken (double negative?:confused:) I've been watching Duke hoops for a long time and the last time I saw a team this united and on-court friendly (and respectful) with each other was during Battier's senior season. Not that this team is that kind of a team but that they are showing a very real regard for each other. There is a lot of emotion on this team and it was out there for all to see last night.

Whatever rolls down the pike after yesterday's game, this is quite a team.

Coach K is right, they are learning and changing before our eyes.

shotrocksplitter
02-13-2009, 07:16 PM
This IS a great team, and they are playing good basketball. However, we've seen both sides of the team. One can go on a 17-2 run in four minutes (Miami) and the other goes scoreless for long stretches (0-14 on Wed.).

We have the opportunity to play 11 huge games in a row starting in the Dean Dome. A couple of them will include cold spells. If we can overcome them with the stretches of brilliant play then we can and will beat all opponents. For stretches, Duke ha been the best team in the country. All we have to do is play like it.