PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie Irving recruitment

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

BlueintheFace
02-12-2009, 09:04 PM
... What does this say about our hopes for Brandon Knight? Remember, we already have Thornton signed. Interesting development...

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=9&cfg=bb&c=4&yr=2010

RelativeWays
02-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Isn't that Hurley's High School, St Patricks?

DUKIE V(A)
02-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Irving looks like he would be a nice addition from what I have seen. Seems like he has nice handles, nice range on his shoot, and nice play-making skills. Nothing in his game looked forced.

Everything I have heard about Thornton is positive. The kid is a team-first type player and a bigtime winner. A great kid and player. You can never have enough of those (or of ballhandlers who make their teammates better).

hedgehog
02-12-2009, 10:00 PM
... What does this say about our hopes for Brandon Knight? Remember, we already have Thornton signed. Interesting development...

I would guess that Coach K thinks it is good to have more than one guard who can direct the offense, break the press, etc. We have seen how the teams of the past couple of years have struggle through injuries to Paulus and the growing pains of shooting/combo guards (Scheyer and Smith) learning on the job to be the point guard.

It sure worked pretty well bringing in Jason Williams and Chris Duhon one year apart.

If I was a coach, I would want to dedicate 3 out of 13 scholarships to point guards.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
02-12-2009, 10:38 PM
I would guess that Coach K thinks it is good to have more than one guard who can direct the offense, break the press, etc. We have seen how the teams of the past couple of years have struggle through injuries to Paulus and the growing pains of shooting/combo guards (Scheyer and Smith) learning on the job to be the point guard.

It sure worked pretty well bringing in Jason Williams and Chris Duhon one year apart.

If I was a coach, I would want to dedicate 3 out of 13 scholarships to point guards.

Strongly agree. It's been tough to watch us miss on great post players, but it's just been unfathomable to watch us not even try to recruit PG's since Paulus got here. I love what Greg brings, but I can't imagine he was scaring away blue chip prospects.

Anyway, from what I've seen we'd be very lucky to have a player like Kyrie. He sounds like more of a scoring/combo guard (sort of the other side of the coin from Nolan (http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=825502) who came in ready on D but with some offensive issues). So he and Thornton could play beside each other or switch out based on situations. I do take this as a bad sign for landing Knight. But I suppose we'll be so shallow at PG that we could have Knight start and use Thornton as a sub for the one year that Knight would be around. I hope we have the chance to think about juggling minutes at the position again. :)

jimsumner
02-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Duke is still looking at Irving, Ray McCallum, Jason Morris, maybe Mychal Parker, maybe Roscoe Smith or Casey Prather. All perimeter players from the class of '10.

Duke definitely has offers out to Barnes and Knight. I'm pretty sure that no one else has a firm offer.

That doesn't mean that they won't down the line.

Duke anticipates bringing in five players from '10, six if they can find a post. Irving has a huge upside and he may well be in the mix. But there are still some hoops that need to be negotiated.

weezie
02-12-2009, 11:01 PM
It's a grueling job, isn't it? We forget just how much slogging and plotting goes into being a great coach (and having a solid staff.)
The "pundits" have it so easy, just sitting and carping while eating these young players alive. Worthless press know-it-alls.
God bless Mike Krzyzewski and his staff and his teams. They make us proud each time they step onto the court.

watzone
02-13-2009, 12:25 AM
Regardless of what Scout is saying Duke has not offered Kyrie Irving yet. One of our BDN writers (Andrew Slater) recently talked to him and got an in depth interview of 2000 or more words . Andrew has seen the kid play several times in the past month. One other thing, Duke never offers a kid until K has a chance to talk to him or sees him play. There could be an instance where a kid knows an offer is coming or one is there if he wants it, but no official offer has been made yet. I was at an event where the head of Scout didn't even know of the interest until it was mentioned to him so I'm fairly certain those under him do not know. Probably just an assumtion from headlines or a typo on their part. Or, they are assuming the offer will happen from what they've read ...or heard. To my knowledge the Scout Duke site has never talked to Irving. I started tracking him in September. FWIW, he almost assuredly will get an offer but he told us in person that no offer had been made. But man does he have a slew of them! We have a pretty good grip on the situation and recruiting in general and do our best to deal with facts. Duke likes Irving a lot and Knight is still on the radar. That's about all I feel comfortable saying here.

Coballs
02-13-2009, 01:06 AM
Whether Irving has an offer or not, I don't think that we should start to draw any conclusions about what his recruitment means in regards to the recruitment of Knight...particularly because most of us have little insider info. If nothing else, I hope that it reflects the coaching staff's effort to cast a slightly broader net than they have over the last several recruiting seasons. This is what many of us have hoped for.

Edouble
02-13-2009, 01:19 AM
Isn't that Hurley's High School, St Patricks?

No, St. Anthony.

CameronCrazy'11
02-13-2009, 01:32 AM
Knight's a long shot to go to Duke and would only be there one year anyway. Irving's probably more of a 3-4 year guy and seems to have some serious skills. If Knight committed tomorrow, we'd probably back off Irving and pick up another point or two for 2011.

gotham devil
02-13-2009, 02:58 AM
No, St. Anthony.

Technically, the Hurleys coach at both St. Anthony's and St. Benedict's.

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=911901

"Kyrie Irving, when it's all said and done, he will arguably be as good as any guard who's played in New Jersey," Boyle said. "Any guard. Ever. Ever. DaJuan Wagner, Bobby Hurley, Shaheen Holloway. You're talking about a guy who's a great shooter, a great finisher. He's going to be as good as anybody who's played in New Jersey."

One Big East assistant said without pausing: "He's a pro."

jv001
02-13-2009, 08:04 AM
Technically, the Hurleys coach at both St. Anthony's and St. Benedict's.

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=911901

"Kyrie Irving, when it's all said and done, he will arguably be as good as any guard who's played in New Jersey," Boyle said. "Any guard. Ever. Ever. DaJuan Wagner, Bobby Hurley, Shaheen Holloway. You're talking about a guy who's a great shooter, a great finisher. He's going to be as good as anybody who's played in New Jersey."

One Big East assistant said without pausing: "He's a pro."

So like Knight he probably will not be a 4 year player in college. He's going to be that good. I would take him in a heart beat. Go Duke!

Carlos
02-13-2009, 09:40 AM
Duke has to sign Irving just to continue the tradition of having a guard on the team who was once a teammate of a guard on the Tar Heels. Lawson/Smith and Ellington/Henderson to be followed by Strickland/Irving.

Smitty1911
02-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Irving, Strickland and Lance Stephenson are on espn2 tonight at 7pm.

Edouble
02-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Duke has to sign Irving just to continue the tradition of having a guard on the team who was once a teammate of a guard on the Tar Heels. Lawson/Smith and Ellington/Henderson to be followed by Strickland/Irving.

Maybe now is the time to discontinue this tradition.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
02-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Maybe now is the time to discontinue this tradition.

I've been trying to figure out a diplomatic way to say that since the original comment was posted. Well done.

Carlos
02-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Not sure why now would be a time to discontinue the tradition since Irving is a terrific player. Right now he's ranked pretty highly and appears to be a player on the rise.

taiw93
02-13-2009, 07:42 PM

I know that they weren't actually teamates in high school, but Elliot and Leslie Macdonald (coming in next year for UNC) could fall into this category as well, since they grew up together, played on the same AAU team (I think) and were both friends and rivals growing up, a relationship that will likely continue through college.

SupaDave
02-13-2009, 08:09 PM
Irving is looking good.

FireOgilvie
02-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Irving is looking good.

You watch the game on ESPN? What's the scouting report look like? How did he do? Anyone else see it?

SupaDave
02-14-2009, 08:45 AM
You watch the game on ESPN? What's the scouting report look like? How did he do? Anyone else see it?

Steals, blocks, fast breaks, good speed, defense, smooth, good outside shot. Can't even compare him to anyone right now but oh my goodness -he's good. Kinda real smooth like with Nolan in high school b/c he's on such a stacked team.

kramerbr
02-14-2009, 09:29 AM

He played within the flow of the game and really did take any bad shots or make too many bad plays. It seems to be Dexter Stricklands team this year but I could see Kyrie stepping up to be the go to guy next year along with Gilchrist (#1 sophomore in the nation).

gotham devil
03-24-2009, 05:19 PM
He played within the flow of the game and really did take any bad shots or make too many bad plays. It seems to be Dexter Stricklands team this year but I could see Kyrie stepping up to be the go to guy next year along with Gilchrist (#1 sophomore in the nation).

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/03/24/gonzo-says-shu-will-be-in-top-tier-of-big-east-roy-williams-on-dexter-strickland/#more-13870

Irving won the state title, scored 26, got the MVP...oh, and Roy Williams managed to be there.

Mal
03-24-2009, 06:36 PM
I don't even care if he can play; there are at least two non-ability reasons we need to get this guy:

1. Greek and Latin singage possibilities for the Crazies would be endless.

2. The possibility of Mr. Mister making it into the band's repertoire.

Duke09
03-25-2009, 12:51 AM
What's the deal with Eric Bledsoe? Does the recruiting of Irving mean anything about Bledsoe?

Bob Green
03-25-2009, 05:45 AM
What's the deal with Eric Bledsoe? Does the recruiting of Irving mean anything about Bledsoe?

It means we are recruiting multiple players. Some posters frequently complain about Coach K putting "all his eggs in one basket" or not having a backup plan, but the reality is that Duke routinely recruits multiple players. The current situation is not an anomaly it is the norm.

gotham devil
04-06-2009, 06:12 PM
http://blog.northstarbball.com/2009/04/03/major-news-kyrie-irving-names-top-10.aspx?ref=rss

JDev
04-06-2009, 06:32 PM
http://blog.northstarbball.com/2009/04/03/major-news-kyrie-irving-names-top-10.aspx?ref=rss

According to that, his top ten does not include UNC, who has been recruiting him. Glad to see Duke in that list, particularly with the way you guys describe him.

cspan37421
04-06-2009, 06:36 PM
As I read this thread, I'm thinking that Duke offering an 8th grader would have been a good April Fool's Day hoax story.

JDev
04-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Duke has offered Irving, and is at least in the running for Knight and Barnes. If Duke got all three (I know, unlikely) in addition to the other 2010 commits, that would be a six man class. Could Duke bring in a class that big?

jimsumner
04-06-2009, 07:45 PM
"If Duke got all three (I know, unlikely) in addition to the other 2010 commits, that would be a six man class. Could Duke bring in a class that big? "

Not unless Duke strikes out this spring and has some attrition. Excluding the class of 2010 Duke currently has eight scholarship committments for the 2010-11 season; Kelly, Plumlee, and Curry; Williams, Plumlee, and Czyz; and Singler and Smith.

Singler to the NBA after his junior year would free up a scholarship, as would a transfer; A Wall signing followed by NBA-after-one season would have no impact. A Bledsoe signing would have an impact.

Duke and Irving certainly have a mutual interest but I am not certain that Irving has a firm offer. I can see no logical reason why Duke would expect or even want to sign Bledsoe, Knight, and Irving, to go along with Dawkins, Thornton, Curry, Williams, and Smith. There are only so many minutes and so many touches to go around.

JDev
04-06-2009, 08:49 PM
"Duke and Irving certainly have a mutual interest but I am not certain that Irving has a firm offer. I can see no logical reason why Duke would expect or even want to sign Bledsoe, Knight, and Irving, to go along with Dawkins, Thornton, Curry, Williams, and Smith. There are only so many minutes and so many touches to go around.

I was thinking the same thing. I can't imagine Duke would want/hope to add three PG's from the 2010 class. Thornton has already verballed, and Knight and Irving have offers (or at least Duke has shown interest). It will be interesting to see how it unfolds and who in fact does matriculate. The good news is that it seems likely that Duke will add multiple PG's in the next two years, with some combination of Wall, Bledsoe, Thornton, Knight, and Irving.

dgoore97
04-07-2009, 09:05 AM
i don't think he is a point guard..

mcdukie
04-07-2009, 09:22 AM
i don't think he is a point guard..

You saw Tyler Thornton from Gonzaga in DC play and you don't think he is a point? If you want to say you are not sure if he is an all-ACC caliber point that is one thing but he is a point. Without a doubt. I have seen him play with his high school and his AAU team, which had a sick amount of talent. In both situations he had the ball in his hands and knows how to run a team. I might agree with you if you asked "Is he the answer at the point?" But he is without a doubt a point! I have also seen Irving and he is by far the better player.

dgoore97
04-07-2009, 09:26 AM
point taken. i only watched him briefly. maybe i should adjust my response to be i don't think he is the answer for us at point. never seen kyrie irving play, but i went to the hs he transferred from, MKA, and i would say, coming from there, he is definitely qualified academically.

mcdukie
04-07-2009, 10:13 AM
I live in DC and like Thornton but don't really see him as the anwer. Could be very solid by his junior year but not the offensive player we are looking for. Reminds me in some ways of a Dockery type of player. He still has some time and on his HS team his offensive production was better than I thought it would be. He has some time to develop into more of a threat on the offensive end. I saw Irving for a week last summer at a camp and my only concern for the ACC was his size. He is a little bigger now and can flat out do it.

Icarus09
04-07-2009, 11:00 AM
I live in DC and like Thornton but don't really see him as the anwer. Could be very solid by his junior year but not the offensive player we are looking for. Reminds me in some ways of a Dockery type of player. He still has some time and on his HS team his offensive production was better than I thought it would be. He has some time to develop into more of a threat on the offensive end. I saw Irving for a week last summer at a camp and my only concern for the ACC was his size. He is a little bigger now and can flat out do it.

One scout who reported on Thornton used his name and "perennial back-up" in the same sentence. He's a safety net. A guy we know will be there for his college career. Considering Duke's interest in a wide range of other PGs (Irving, Wall, Bledsoe, Knight) I think the coaching staff recognizes his limitations.

MJS4Duke11
04-28-2009, 09:32 AM
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/04/28/kyrie-irving-cuts-list/

Obviously this list is still massive

Georgia Tech
Duke
Indiana
Seton Hall
Texas A&M
Maryland
Pittsburgh
Notre Dame
Florida
Marquette
Kentucky

But good news none the less

Oriole Way
04-28-2009, 02:23 PM

I doubt we would be looking at so many other elite guards in the same class if K thought he was the sole answer at point. Having a Dockery-like player to provide depth in his first few seasons, and perhaps become a solid senior starter, would be quite valuable to the team. Plus, who knows if Josh Hairston would have committed without his buddy Tyler also coming to Duke.

BlueintheFace
04-28-2009, 02:26 PM
I doubt we would be looking at so many other elite guards in the same class if K thought he was the sole answer at point. Having a Dockery-like player to provide depth in his first few seasons, and perhaps become a solid senior starter, would be quite valuable to the team. Plus, who knows if Josh Hairston would have committed without his buddy Tyler also coming to Duke.

That's what I think Thornton is supposed to be. The other PG we hopefully pick up this year (bledsoe) or next year (Knight, McCallum, Irving, etc..) should be our projected star pg from what I can tell.

Rudy
04-28-2009, 05:05 PM
"If Duke got all three (I know, unlikely) in addition to the other 2010 commits, that would be a six man class. Could Duke bring in a class that big? "

Not unless Duke strikes out this spring and has some attrition. Excluding the class of 2010 Duke currently has eight scholarship committments for the 2010-11 season; Kelly, Plumlee, and Curry; Williams, Plumlee, and Czyz; and Singler and Smith.

Singler to the NBA after his junior year would free up a scholarship, as would a transfer; A Wall signing followed by NBA-after-one season would have no impact. A Bledsoe signing would have an impact.

Duke and Irving certainly have a mutual interest but I am not certain that Irving has a firm offer. I can see no logical reason why Duke would expect or even want to sign Bledsoe, Knight, and Irving, to go along with Dawkins, Thornton, Curry, Williams, and Smith. There are only so many minutes and so many touches to go around.

The duke.scout.com site show seven offers outstanding for the class of '10. What are the rules on this? Can you make more offers than scholarships available? Is it made clear to the kids that if x number of other kids commit before he does that the offer would be withdrawn?

Sobriquet
04-28-2009, 05:21 PM
The duke.scout.com site show seven offers outstanding for the class of '10. What are the rules on this? Can you make more offers than scholarships available? Is it made clear to the kids that if x number of other kids commit before he does that the offer would be withdrawn?

These things usually solve themselves. For example, if Knight committed, Irving won't. If Big Man A commits, Big Man C will look elsewhere. If not, then an honorable Coach like K would inform the player that a player at that position had committed, and then explain his ideas for how they could (or not) coexist. But that rarely happens. Sort of a first come, first served with a few minor tweaks. ie Irving could commit, but K would find a place for Knight should he commit.

Teams are certainly free to offer as many players as they want. For fun times, look at the offer lists of struggling teams in BCS conferences where they have basically offered entire teams of players.

Once upon a time, Duke would only offer a select few players, secure in the knowledge that we would get most of them. That hasn't been the case lately, and K seems to wisely be casting a wider net. Since you can't be sure of committs, you almost have to make more offers that you have schollies. Sign of the times.

Worst case scenario, you have to call a kid who is still considering you, but not yet committed, and tell him that your roster is full going forward, and wish him luck. The player then "drops" that team from consideration, saving face for everyone concerned.

m g
05-10-2009, 05:03 PM
rivals has an encouraging headline up about kyrie irving

http://duke.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=943680&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

sfinleyo
05-11-2009, 01:49 PM
i may be wrong but i believe it was watzone that said irving doesnt actually have a sholarship offer yet... he sounds like a good player but i thought that was just scout.com being misinformed... does anyone know if his scholarship offer has been confirmed by anyone but scout.com?

CMS2478
05-11-2009, 02:50 PM
i may be wrong but i believe it was watzone that said irving doesnt actually have a sholarship offer yet... he sounds like a good player but i thought that was just scout.com being misinformed... does anyone know if his scholarship offer has been confirmed by anyone but scout.com?

I think it is one of those cases where he hasn't been officially offered, but he knows the offer is there.

gotham devil
06-02-2009, 12:14 AM
I think it is one of those cases where he hasn't been officially offered, but he knows the offer is there.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/06/01/kyrie-irving-says-indiana-at-the-top/

FireOgilvie
06-02-2009, 12:28 AM

Glad to see we're up there on his list. Duke doesn't have a journalism major, but that didn't stop the huge number of Duke grads with careers in that field.

tommy
06-02-2009, 12:50 AM

Per that article, the lead recruiter for Indiana on Irving is none other than . . . Roshow McLeod! Say it ain't so Ro.

CameronCrazy'11
06-02-2009, 12:58 AM
Per that article, the lead recruiter for Indiana on Irving is none other than . . . Roshow McLeod! Say it ain't so Ro.

Time to poach Roshown from Indiana!

jk :)

gotham devil
06-02-2009, 02:57 AM

jk :)

When Johnny Dawkins bolted for Palo Alto, Krzyzewski could've hired Roshown McLeod, but he instead opted for Nate James.

tommy
06-02-2009, 10:01 PM

That's what SOME coaches would do . . .

BlueintheFace
06-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Hey Kyrie, interested in basketball journalism? Nobody else comes close.

http://www.goduke.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=3746662

BD80
06-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Hey Kyrie, interested in basketball journalism? Nobody else comes close.

http://www.goduke.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=3746662

So will all these ex-Dukies still be around this weekend when Barnes shows up?

ricks68
06-05-2009, 12:33 AM
Is it a recruiting violation if any of them talk to Barnes?

ricks

Capn Poptart
06-05-2009, 07:33 AM
These things usually solve themselves. For example, if Knight committed, Irving won't. If Big Man A commits, Big Man C will look elsewhere.

See: Josh McRoberts commited, Tyler Hansbrough looked elsewhere...
Sigh.

Welcome2DaSlopes
06-05-2009, 09:47 PM
I know Knight Personally and read some of his interviews please stop saying he is one and done he's never said that before and we're just assuming due to his great basketball ability. He is a great STUDENT- Athlete and cares about education. Not saying he will stay four years but he is not a for sure one and done.

kramerbr
06-05-2009, 09:54 PM
I know Knight Personally and read some of his interviews please stop saying he is one and done he's never said that before and we're just assuming due to his great basketball ability.

Relax. It's perfectly normal for people to assume the #1 player in their class won't be around college too long. He hasn't said very much at all about his recruitment, therefore people are going to speculate.

speedevil2001
06-06-2009, 06:54 PM
See: Josh McRoberts commited, Tyler Hansbrough looked elsewhere...
Sigh.

mcroberts commitment had nothing to do with hansbrough... duke went hard after josh. unc went after tyler.

gotham devil
06-07-2009, 02:38 PM
http://twitter.com/kyrieirving

On my way to "fill in the blank" for an unofficial visit...hope it's ready for me to step on campus jk let's get it
about 22 hours ago from mobile web

BD80
06-07-2009, 03:37 PM
http://twitter.com/kyrieirving

On my way to "fill in the blank" for an unofficial visit...hope it's ready for me to step on campus jk let's get it
about 22 hours ago from mobile web

Can someone fill in the blank for me?

Barnes was on Duke's campus this weekend, no? With all the alum around the practice facility, it would be a good weekend for an unofficial visit for recruits. Any word on who was there?

gotham devil
06-08-2009, 12:07 AM
Can someone fill in the blank for me?

Barnes was on Duke's campus this weekend, no? With all the alum around the practice facility, it would be a good weekend for an unofficial visit for recruits. Any word on who was there?

UConn

watzone
06-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Hurley went to St. Anthony's. Irving visited UConn unofficially over the weekend.

gotham devil
06-17-2009, 02:06 PM
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/06/17/pitt-to-play-indiana-at-jimmy-v-classic-irving-enjoys-a-rigs-to-rutgers/

Greg_Newton
07-02-2009, 06:11 PM
http://dukebasketballjournal.wordpress.com/2009/06/26/kyrie-irving-update/
http://duke.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=960702

The rivals link is subscription, but at least has a semi-encouraging headline.

Kyrie Irving might be my favorite 2010 PG we are pursuing. He seems like a smart guy with a good head on his shoulders, and from what I read/see his style of play would be the perfect sparkplug and change of pace from Tyler Thornton. Sort of like having Jason Williams to run the show along with Sean Dockery to come in and settle things down when necessary.

If somehow we could land both Kyrie and Harrison to go along with Andre, I would have to think that would be one of the best PG/SG/SF tandems we (or anyone, for that matter) have ever landed in a recruiting class.

gotham devil
07-03-2009, 07:06 PM
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/07/03/irving-gilchrist-to-team-up-in-college/

yancem
07-03-2009, 08:10 PM
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/07/03/irving-gilchrist-to-team-up-in-college/

I don't like the sound of that article at all. I had a pretty solid feeling about Irving before now but that article sounds very discouraging as it relates to Duke's chances. I know that recruiting articles can be misleading and that recruits change their minds frequently but ouch!

Lightz
07-03-2009, 08:33 PM
I don't like the sound of that article at all. I had a pretty solid feeling about Irving before now but that article sounds very discouraging as it relates to Duke's chances. I know that recruiting articles can be misleading and that recruits change their minds frequently but ouch!

He was never a duke lean, just a player who has definite interest. He's definitely still interested in duke, just several programs are in the running for him.

houstondukie
07-03-2009, 11:13 PM
He was never a duke lean, just a player who has definite interest. He's definitely still interested in duke, just several programs are in the running for him.

Indiana is the school that scares me the most when it comes to Irving.

SupaDave
07-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Article on Kyrie and it appears we are following him quite closely - as well as BK and HB...

http://w3.nbebasketball.com/2009/07/11/kyrie-irving-talks-recruiting-the-dunk/

Bsim412
07-20-2009, 09:41 PM
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/07/20/kevin-boyle-on-kyrie-irvings-schools/

G man
07-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Glad to hear some good news in his recruitment. Lets hope Indiana stops pushing so hard.

ChicagoCrazy84
07-25-2009, 03:37 PM
I would be so angry if Calipari somehow landed him. With Eric Bledsoe there and all but secured as the guy to replace John Wall (assuming he is a 1 and done) I wouldn't understand Irving going there. Then again, Nolan Smith will be a senior for us. I don't know....I just want a PG!

Bob Green
07-26-2009, 06:52 AM
Dick Weiss observed Kyrie Irving in Orlando and was impressed:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/weiss/2009/07/happy-travels.html

El_Diablo
07-26-2009, 08:52 AM
I would be so angry if Calipari somehow landed him. With Eric Bledsoe there and all but secured as the guy to replace John Wall (assuming he is a 1 and done) I wouldn't understand Irving going there. Then again, Nolan Smith will be a senior for us. I don't know....I just want a PG!

His godfather is an assistant coach at Kentucky.

sagegrouse
07-26-2009, 09:37 AM
'Kyrie eleison' is the only Greek that survived to the Latin mass, meaning 'Lord, have mercy on us.'

I wonder if Kyrie's Grandpa was an altar boy.

sagegrouse

watzone
07-26-2009, 12:35 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2009/07/kyrie-irving-and-kevin-boyle-jr-lead-the-nj-celtics-to-a-stunning-win-over-team-final/

Irving for 37 vs Team Final. The NJ Celtics beat the two best AAU teams this season back to back.

watzone
07-28-2009, 08:32 AM
Coach K and company are watching Irving as I type.

SupaDave
07-28-2009, 04:19 PM
Coach K and company are watching Irving as I type.

At 5:30 in the morning Vegas time? I'd rather you be watching Irving!

FireOgilvie
07-29-2009, 05:56 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2009/07/kyrie-irving-and-kevin-boyle-jr-lead-the-nj-celtics-to-a-stunning-win-over-team-final/

Irving for 37 vs Team Final. The NJ Celtics beat the two best AAU teams this season back to back.

Wow, that's really impressive. Anyone know how he and his team did yesterday? The more I read about Kyrie, the more I want him to come to Duke... the same goes for Harrison Barnes.

G man
07-31-2009, 02:31 PM
http://blogs.indystar.com/recruitingcentral/2009/07/ius-top-target.html

unlike IU we can not make him our number one target

SupaDave
07-31-2009, 04:45 PM

IU is recruiting other people just as we are...

G man
08-01-2009, 12:57 AM
IU is recruiting other people just as we are...

I think that the class we are bringing in is going to be so good that it trumps being a main target. I know that everyone is salivating at Barnes, but I would say that an Irving is just as important to getting back on top. From everything I have read about Irving says that he is a stud. It sounds like has the ability to be special. I hope that he wants to surround himself with other players of his caliber, and not be part of the rebuilding process at IU.

boxofmess2244
08-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Since Strickland is going to UNC it would be great of Irving goes to Duke.

Greg_Newton
08-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Let's just say the snippet that appeared in the google news listing was quite encouraging. It's nice to be on the good side of the rumor mill sometimes...

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=2&c=883871&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fduke.scout.com%2fa.z%3fs %3d167%26p%3d2%26c%3d883871

Also, is his dad really a stockbroker? Probably doesn't hurt Duke's chances if so... http://www.slamonline.com/online/college-hs/high-school/2009/07/the-name-game/

DukieinIndy
08-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Here is an article the IndyStar has on IU's recruiting of Irving. It mostly talks about his play in Orlando and how IU brought all of their coaches to watch him. There is also a sentence about Coach K doing the same.

The article lists Duke, IU, and Kentucky as the front runners but that he may have more. It also says he plans to announce his final five schools after a game on August 21st.

I thought everyone would like to see how the other programs are running their recruiting of Irving.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090807/SPORTS0615/90807013/1004/SPORTS/Hoosiers+going+all-out+for+star+prospect+Irving

airowe
08-10-2009, 07:02 PM
...is when Kyrie is looking to trim his list of schools.

The 6-foot-2 Irving, out of Elizabeth (N.J.) St. Patrick, said he would wait until after the Boost Mobile Elite 24 event Aug. 22 in Harlem’s Rucker Park to trim his list, also around a dozen schools.

Some observers consider Indiana to be the unofficial leader for Irving because assistant coach Roshown McLeod has worked very hard to develop a relationship with Irving. Yet Duke, Indiana, Seton Hall, Texas A&M, Notre Dame and others are also involved.

“Pretty soon I’m gonna narrow down the schools. After Elite 24,” Irving wrote by text.

The Duke Elite Camp is the next day after the Elite 24 event. Not sure if he's coming to this yet...

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/08/03/irving-harris-to-wait-on-cutting-lists/

ChicagoCrazy84
08-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Maybe when he says "trim" he means commit, which means he will commit to Duke the day after the Elite 24 at the Duke Elite Camp!

...One can only hope.

airowe
08-11-2009, 11:00 PM
Maybe when he says "trim" he means commit, which means he will commit to Duke the day after the Elite 24 at the Duke Elite Camp!

...One can only hope.

Well, according to this teaser, he's at least going to come check us out...

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=2&c=887170&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fduke.scout.com%2f2%2f887 170.html

SupaDave
08-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Well it seems that the interest level has been changed to "high" for Kyrie...

Traveldude50
08-12-2009, 01:37 PM
level of intrests shouldnt be a big thing when u look at these recruting pages. for instance brandon knight has different level intrests in his schools yet he has not told anyone what his list even looks like. Its just to compete with the other recruiting services.

Newton_14
08-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Well it seems that the interest level has been changed to "high" for Kyrie...

Yeah SupaDave, I'm feeling good about this one.. It appears if you peel the onion back, his top 2 are Duke and Indiana. I actually think we are in great shape with Irving...

I like our chances with Barnes as well. Based on the sum of all of the chatter about Barnes and Irving, I feel we are in better shape with both of those guys than we ever were with Wall, Boynton, and Greg Monroe.. Still hard to figure these kids though, so who knows.. but I honestly like our chances..

And I hope they both make their decision this fall.. .........together.......... on a cool, crisp day........... in Durham.. inside a gym named after some Cameron dude...

Now that would be "High Interest"

Devilsfan
08-12-2009, 11:10 PM
It will be so nice to land multiple top targets again like old times. Thanks for the great recruiting Coach K!

COYS
08-12-2009, 11:24 PM
It will be so nice to land multiple top targets again like old times. Thanks for the great recruiting Coach K!

Like last fall, if I recall correctly.

speedevil2001
08-13-2009, 06:29 AM

why is irving interested in IU? is there a particular connection there?

flyingdutchdevil
08-13-2009, 06:45 AM
I've been following Irving's recruitment and read a bunch of articles, but I can't seem to get a hold of what type of PG he is.

Is he a Chris Paul type player? JWill? Bobby Hurley? Ty Lawson? I'm not asking whether we will be as good as these players, just wondering what type of PG he resembles...

CameronCrazy'11
08-13-2009, 07:32 AM
He is definitely a true point guard who runs the offense well, but is also an extremely talented scorer and can shoot very well from deep too. Sort of like a skinnier Jason Williams maybe.

airowe
08-13-2009, 10:47 AM
Interview with Josh Sleby and Kyrie Irving at Nike Global Challenge:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dm-Jv61w0Z1k&v=m-Jv61w0Z1k

Memphis Devil
08-13-2009, 11:47 AM
I hope Roshown is telling Kyrie, "Look we would love to have you here at IU, but if you don't come here, this is why you should go to Duke."

airowe
08-13-2009, 03:23 PM
I put that last link up from my Blackberry, this one is better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-Jv61w0Z1k

I don't see why people are making a big deal out of Selby's "Did you say the I word" and tugging on Kyrie's red shirt. Is it a big deal that Kyrie mentioned Duke twice?

All the talk lately has been that it's a two-horse race between Indy and Duke, but what happened to the Rod Strickland connection at UK? He is Kyrie's godfather but I don't seem to hear too much about it anymore. Maybe guys are starting to realize Cal's got enough guards already...

JaMarcus Russell
08-13-2009, 04:08 PM
All the talk lately has been that it's a two-horse race between Indy and Duke, but what happened to the Rod Strickland connection at UK? He is Kyrie's godfather but I don't seem to hear too much about it anymore. Maybe guys are starting to realize Cal's got enough guards already...

The guy standing next to Kyrie has a lot to do with it. And I'm not referring to the young guy running the interview :D

airowe
08-13-2009, 04:10 PM
I put that last link up from my Blackberry, this one is better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-Jv61w0Z1k

I don't see why people are making a big deal out of Selby's "Did you say the I word" and tugging on Kyrie's red shirt. Is it a big deal that Kyrie mentioned Duke twice?

Never mind on that, it looks like there are sources:

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/08/13/indiana-st-johns-offer-angel-nunez-iu-duke-leading-for-kyrie-irving-quincy-miller-has-options/

DUKE, INDY LEADING FOR KYRIE

As for the 6-1 Irving, the St. Patrick guard who was named MVP at the recent Nike Global Challenge, a source said it could come down to Indiana and Duke.

Irving has said he will visit both schools officially and Indiana hopes to get him to commit on the spot.

Harrison Barnes, one of the top players in the Class of 2010, is working to get Irving to join him at Duke.

Duke is also recruiting Brandon Knight as well as Irving, but IU has made Irving its priority from the beginning, the source said.

Indiana coaches tell Irving that he can be the man at that school and the “face of what Indiana basketball is bringing back.”

Harrison Barnes, one of the top players in the Class of 2010, is working to get Irving to join him at Duke.

Was this a slip or just a hunch????

chrisheery
08-13-2009, 05:17 PM

If this is true, it is totally awesome. What a couple of first class studs these two guys are. Both on and off the court.

wilko
08-13-2009, 05:20 PM

If this is true, it is totally awesome. What a couple of first class studs these two guys are. Both on and off the court.

As much as I'd really like for this to be true, the not too distant past has taught me to not put much stock in it until they show up on campus.

fingers crossed all the same tho

ChicagoCrazy84
08-14-2009, 09:51 AM
Does anyone think they will make a decision by this fall? I know it said Kyrie has 5 official visits to take. What are the chances he'll make all of those in the next month and decide right after?

jimsumner
08-14-2009, 10:02 AM
"Does anyone think they will make a decision by this fall? I know it said Kyrie has 5 official visits to take. What are the chances he'll make all of those in the next month and decide right after? "

The signing date is 11-12 through 11-19. That gives these kids all of September, all of October, and half of November to take five visits. If they need five visits. Which they may not.

Both Barnes and Irving are expected to sign this fall.

airowe
08-14-2009, 10:29 AM
Does anyone think they will make a decision by this fall? I know it said Kyrie has 5 official visits to take. What are the chances he'll make all of those in the next month and decide right after?

I think they will. Kyrie is supposed to visit in September and Barnes in October. K is a good closer and it would be great to get a verbal while they're here. I think it could happen woth Barnes, but I doubt it will with Kyrie. I see him waiting until he goes to IU to make a decision, which is rumored to be at their Midnight Madness in the middle of October. Maybe Barnes commits at his OV here and Irving does at the same time from wherever he is at the time. Who knows...

ChicagoCrazy84
08-14-2009, 06:09 PM
I think they will. Kyrie is supposed to visit in September and Barnes in October. K is a good closer and it would be great to get a verbal while they're here. I think it could happen woth Barnes, but I doubt it will with Kyrie. I see him waiting until he goes to IU to make a decision, which is rumored to be at their Midnight Madness in the middle of October. Maybe Barnes commits at his OV here and Irving does at the same time from wherever he is at the time. Who knows...

So Kyrie is scheduled to visit Duke before he visits IU? That's good news to me. I know Crean and co. want him to commit while he is on his visit, but having already visited Duke and meeting with the players and such, I am guessing he wouldn't do that. I do give props to IU for this, they won't budge one bit. In the past, I would be so confident players would pick Duke over their other option, but this time, I am 50/50. I am sure he is as well.

SupaDave
08-14-2009, 07:17 PM
So Kyrie is scheduled to visit Duke before he visits IU? That's good news to me. I know Crean and co. want him to commit while he is on his visit, but having already visited Duke and meeting with the players and such, I am guessing he wouldn't do that. I do give props to IU for this, they won't budge one bit. In the past, I would be so confident players would pick Duke over their other option, but this time, I am 50/50. I am sure he is as well.

Ummmm, you do realize that we've lost a recruits to Indiana right?

El_Diablo
08-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Ummmm, you do realize that we've lost a recruits to Indiana right?

One helped eliminate us from the NCAA tournament. :(

airowe
08-14-2009, 10:26 PM
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/08/14/boyle-confirms-indy-duke-lead-for-irving/

Interesting comments about Duke, and expecially about K's Olympic coaching status weighing heavily...

doctorhook
08-16-2009, 09:39 AM
Airowe,

I hope the Olympic comments prove to be true; however, they are made by the coach, not the recruit, and the recruit is still yet to be signed. Doc

SupaDave
08-16-2009, 09:43 AM
Airowe,

I hope the Olympic comments prove to be true; however, they are made by the coach, not the recruit, and the recruit is still yet to be signed. Doc

Actually in the interview with Selby they both mention how much having that USA across their chests means to them.

doctorhook
08-16-2009, 10:05 AM
SupaDave,

As I said, I hope the USA coach status proves to be a positive; however, to this point, it does not appear to be the case. Specifically, I do not think anyone can identify a signed recruit who has stated such. It is also unlikely that a recruit would openly state that it is/was a negative.

airowe
08-16-2009, 10:35 AM
Airowe,

This probably belongs in another thread (hello, Olympic 2012) but I'll address it here and try to bring it back to Kyrie.

Hook, you're right that the statements were made by his coach and not Kyrie himself. However, I don't think its a stretch to say that a high school basketball player's coach has a lot of influence on them in all areas of life. ANY positive sentiments about K, Duke's program, or Duke University that are exclusive to said coach, athletic program, and university by ANYONE who has the ear of a recruit is a positive thing. Thus, the comments by Kyrie's coach are at the least interesting (which is all I said in my post), and at best give the impression that we have an advantage over our main competition for Kyrie, Indiana.

Simply dismissing the comments because they weren't made by the recruit himself seems short-sighted to me. I'm not decided on the whole pro/con affects of K being Olympic coach and have made my feelings known in another thread, but recent evidence is certainly starting to sway me towards pro. Andre Dawkins comments being one part of that evidence, and Kyrie's coach's comments and his own comments referenced by Supa above.

doctorhook
08-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Airwoe,

I am not dismissing the comments, but I just am not certain if they are significant. I am also undecided about the pro/con of the Olympic coach effect as well, but at this point in time, there is no evidence that it has been a positive. I can not say it has been a specific negative, but recruiting over the four years while K was the USA coach have not been what we hoped for.

rthomas
08-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Airwoe,

I am not dismissing the comments, but I just am not certain if they are significant. I am also undecided about the pro/con of the Olympic coach effect as well, but at this point in time, there is no evidence that it has been a positive. I can not say it has been a specific negative, but recruiting over the four years while K was the USA coach have not been what we hoped for.

Seems like you are saying that there is no evidence either way. None. Has any recruit said that he decided against Duke because Coach K was the USA coach? There is no evidence of cause and effect.

houstondukie
08-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but Irving's coach also had glowing things to say about Indiana. From those comments, it almost seems like Indiana is the favorite and Duke is the school that would be hard to say "no" to. I like the optimism on this board, but Indiana scares me.

doctorhook
08-16-2009, 12:05 PM
rthomas,

I agree that there is no definite evidence for cause and effect; however if it were a positive, one would expect to see better results during his tenure as USA coach. One would expect to see some correlation, if not specific causation. I understand that many factors produce a year or few good/bad recruiting years. The front page title "groove on this" seems to be a bit much since the comments were made by a coach, not the recruit who is unsigned, but I certainly hope does sign regardless of the USA coaching status. I guess I am just suprised that many feel so strongly that his USA coach status is such a big positive when we have seen nothing to suggest that fact.

Bsim412
08-16-2009, 01:47 PM
I think in the end Kyrie and Harrison will come to Duke along with Roscoe Smith

BlueintheFace
08-16-2009, 02:48 PM
I think in the end Kyrie and Harrison will come to Duke along with Roscoe Smith

Barnes AND Smith... doubtful

airowe
08-16-2009, 03:13 PM
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20090815/SPORTS11/908150355/Miller+has+quite+a+dance+card

airowe
08-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Twitter is great. Kyrie just announced on his that his shortened list will come out on http://twitter.com/kyrieirving RIGHT after the Elite 24 Camp.

theAlaskanBear
08-17-2009, 10:13 AM
...and I will be hoping he shortens his list to one, however unlikely that may be!

wilko
08-17-2009, 11:01 AM
...and I will be hoping he shortens his list to one, however unlikely that may be!

Almost as important, is narrowing it down to the RIGHT one.
(that being us of course)

If hes not yet convinced, he should take some more time and think it over. No need rushing to a bad decision.. :-)

airowe
08-20-2009, 01:30 PM
We've already had one assassin, why not two?

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/getting-up/2009/08/elite-24-whats-the-best-way-to-get-a-playground-nickname/

rotogod00
08-20-2009, 03:05 PM
We've already had one assassin, why not two?

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/getting-up/2009/08/elite-24-whats-the-best-way-to-get-a-playground-nickname/

I like that Barnes says he wants to earn one....classy!

airowe
08-20-2009, 03:37 PM
I like that Barnes says he wants to earn one....classy!

Me too. He's the only one who said that too. What a heady kid. Can't wait for the results from the game on Friday and for Kyrie's list right after on Twitter.

Welcome2DaSlopes
08-20-2009, 06:22 PM
As much as i want BK i think team chemistry would be better with Irving especially if we get Barnes

airowe
08-21-2009, 12:53 PM
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/08/21/boost-mobile-kyrie-irving-cuts-list/

Duke of Nashville
08-21-2009, 01:06 PM
As much as i want BK i think team chemistry would be better with Irving especially if we get Barnes

Just listening to the way that Irving and Barnes handle themselves is very impressive. I agree that the potential chemistry would be "unreal."

JasonEvans
08-21-2009, 01:20 PM

The six schools are Duke, Indiana, Kentucky, Georgia Tech, Seton Hall and UConn.

--Jason

BlueintheFace
08-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Georgia tech eh? interesting.

Greg_Newton
08-21-2009, 04:21 PM

As for Indiana, he said: “I have a great relationship with all the coaches, the whole coaching staff starting with Coach [Tom] Crean and it just trickles down to the assistant coaches. To Coach [Tim] Buckley and coach [Roshown] McLeod, I have great relationships with them.

“Every week I’m pretty much talking to Indiana.”

As for Duke, Irving said: “Coach K [Mike Krzyzewski], his name itself, that’s just a big name. It’s a big-time school. And I think everybody dreams about having either North Carolina or Duke on their list, and I have the luxury of having Duke. So I wouldn’t want any other way with Coach K. I have a great relationship with him.”

It always makes me a little uneasy when a recruit I have a crush on says something like "I really like and am really comfortable with [School A], and it's an honor/flattering to be recruited by Duke." Gives me nightmares of John Wall and such. I can't help feeling like we still may be running second to IU at this point in time (albeit a close, strong second). Although a committment from Harry Barnes and a visit or two could certainly change that, as Kyrie seems much more interested in Duke's program and fellow recruits than Mr. Wall ever did.

I know, I know, I'm reading too much into this, but it's August.:rolleyes:

airowe
08-21-2009, 04:26 PM
It always makes me a little uneasy when a recruit I have a crush on says something like "I really like and am really comfortable with [School A], and it's an honor/flattering to be recruited by Duke." Gives me nightmares of John Wall and such. I can't help feeling like we still may be running second to IU at this point in time (albeit a close, strong second). Although a committment from Harry Barnes and a visit or two could certainly change that, as Kyrie seems much more interested in Duke's program and fellow recruits than Mr. Wall ever did.

I know, I know, I'm reading too much into this, but it's August.:rolleyes:

Remember that he hasn't visited us yet (minus his appearance at the TOC, which doesn't really count) while he's been to IU quite a few times. K is a great closer and we haven't been on an in-home visit yet. I'd wait to freak out until those two things happen...

Greg_Newton
08-21-2009, 04:50 PM
Remember that he hasn't visited us yet (minus his appearance at the TOC, which doesn't really count) while he's been to IU quite a few times. K is a great closer and we haven't been on an in-home visit yet. I'd wait to freak out until those two things happen...

Oh I know, I'm far from panic mode. I just think many have assumed that he is a Duke lean at this point, but I get the sense from various quotes that if he had to decide today with no other events transpiring, he'd be leaning towards IU. Just an unfounded summer observation, is all.

But like you said, there is still hopefully an OV, an in-home, and (knock on wood) an external event that could well swing things in our favor. We've just got our work cut out for us in the next few months, IMHO.

Quo Vadis
08-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Oh I know, I'm far from panic mode. I just think many have assumed that he is a Duke lean at this point, but I get the sense from various quotes that if he had to decide today with no other events transpiring, he'd be leaning towards IU. Just an unfounded summer observation, is all.

But like you said, there is still hopefully an OV, an in-home, and (knock on wood) an external event that could well swing things in our favor. We've just got our work cut out for us in the next few months, IMHO.

I agree on this.

Right now, assuming that final list is correct, IU is the only school where he would definitely start as a frosh. There are other probably starts, some highly probable frosh starts, but IU is the only lock.

I agree that K is a closer, and if we get him on campus, or if he goes to IU in Feb, Duke looks great.

As for Harrison Barnes and Irving, I am starting to get a Chicken or the Egg feeling here. HB may want a guaranteed PG to show up with him, and KI may want a stud wing forward running mate. Getting one might really help land the other, but neither will commit before the other does. No evidence of that, just a tremor in the Force.

airowe
08-21-2009, 05:11 PM
I agree on this.

Right now, assuming that final list is correct, IU is the only school where he would definitely start as a frosh. There are other probably starts, some highly probable frosh starts, but IU is the only lock.

I agree that K is a closer, and if we get him on campus, or if he goes to IU in Feb, Duke looks great.

As for Harrison Barnes and Irving, I am starting to get a Chicken or the Egg feeling here. HB may want a guaranteed PG to show up with him, and KI may want a stud wing forward running mate. Getting one might really help land the other, but neither will commit before the other does. No evidence of that, just a tremor in the Force.

Every coach recruiting him is telling him he will start from day one so this doesn't really matter. He's gonna get plenty of minutes at Duke with his only real competition at PG being Nolan.

Kyrie has said that a Harrison commit will make his decision easier (paraphrasing).

He's said we are definitely getting an OV. Where have you heard he is going to IU in Feb?

airowe
08-23-2009, 03:43 PM
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20090822/SPORTS11/908220381/1002/SPORTS

With us switching our attention to Kyrie from BK, it really seems as if we're putting all of our eggs in one basket from here on out. I think the early commit from Tyler Thornton has allowed us to take this risk and I really hope it turns out well for us. A back court like this would be pretty impressive:

PG:

1 - Nolan Smith
2 - Kyrie Irving
3 - Tyler Thornton

SG:

1/2 - Dawkins/Curry

SilkyJ
08-23-2009, 04:54 PM
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20090822/SPORTS11/908220381/1002/SPORTS

With us switching our attention to Kyrie from BK, it really seems as if we're putting all of our eggs in one basket from here on out.

I imagine (hope) the staff told Kyrie he was their #1 target several months ago. Things have been quiet and there have been rumors swirling that we had backed off BK ~6 months ago.

I think the early commit from Tyler Thornton has allowed us to take this risk and I really hope it turns out well for us. A back court like this would be pretty impressive:

PG:

1 - Nolan Smith
2 - Kyrie Irving
3 - Tyler Thornton

SG:

1/2 - Dawkins/Curry

I agree that Thornton provides some cushion from a depth perspective but I'm not holding my breath on him playing more than 10mpg as a frosh. I think the scariest part of that potential backcourt is that it while Nolan will graduate those guys could be together for 2-3 years. That's how you build FF teams.

airowe
08-23-2009, 05:04 PM
I agree that Thornton provides some cushion from a depth perspective but I'm not holding my breath on him playing more than 10mpg as a frosh. I think the scariest part of that potential backcourt is that it while Nolan will graduate those guys could be together for 2-3 years. That's how you build FF teams.

If Thornton is anything more than our 2nd or 3rd option at PG, he will be giving us more than I expected. I agree on the building up our talented depth. Hope fully we can get some more guys signed for '10 and '11...

Jaymf7
08-24-2009, 09:38 AM

Kind of cool how, in the attached article, Irving mentions his strong bonds with the coaches at both Duke and IU, specifically mentioning Roshown McLoed on their staff. A nice common denominator.

ChicagoCrazy84
08-24-2009, 04:22 PM
I really find it hard to think that Kyrie Irving would take his game out to the Big 10 coming from out East, ya know? That's like a stud QB from Texas, Florida, or Cali deciding to go to Iowa, it just doesn't seem right. Not saying it hasn't happened plenty of times, but does anyone know what I am getting at?

I know this is a total stereotype of a comment, but I think it's a fact, the athletes that the Big East and the ACC tend to get are superior to those in the Big 10 and hence, there is a different style of play. I just think his game would fit more out in Durham. I hope he keeps that in mind. Playing with Dawkins, Curry, the Plumlees, Barnes hopefully. I am sure I am not the only one who thinks that.

roywhite
08-24-2009, 04:37 PM
I really find it hard to think that Kyrie Irving would take his game out to the Big 10 coming from out East, ya know? That's like a stud QB from Texas, Florida, or Cali deciding to go to Iowa, it just doesn't seem right. Not saying it hasn't happened plenty of times, but does anyone know what I am getting at?

I know this is a total stereotype of a comment, but I think it's a fact, the athletes that the Big East and the ACC tend to get are superior to those in the Big 10 and hence, there is a different style of play. I just think his game would fit more out in Durham. I hope he keeps that in mind. Playing with Dawkins, Curry, the Plumlees, Barnes hopefully. I am sure I am not the only one who thinks that.

Maybe so. Coach Knight built his powerhouse IU teams with mostly local guys, especially in the early years when he drew heavily on kids from Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio. I would think that is eventually the way for IU to return to top levels, though the area talent level may be down somewhat from 30 years ago, and Thad Matta at tOSU is a tough guy to recruit against.

In that respect, seems a little unusual for IU to go so strong after a NJ kid, but they've done a very good recruiting job so far, apparently.

Based on common stereotypes, NJ should be Duke country. :)

NSDukeFan
08-24-2009, 04:38 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_Tate

I think you are correct that is a total stereotype of a comment. I don't think the Big 10 has been as strong as the ACC lately, but I don't know if it is due to far inferior athletes as much as inferior basketball players. Indiana has a pretty rich basketball tradition and has had a lot of great athletes, though maybe not in the last couple of probation and transition years after Kelvin Sampson. I expect that to turn around and Kyrie would help in that regard.
I really hope that Kyrie goes to Duke and who knows what helps make the decision for a lot of these kids but, if he is making a rational decision, but I don't think he will avoid Indiana because of a lack of athletes in one of the best conferences in the country.

JaMarcus Russell
08-24-2009, 05:22 PM
Comparing Drew Tate to Kyrie Irving is extremely misleading. Tate went to Iowa because he didn't have committable offers to schools in Texas.

Vince Young was redshirting at Texas and Reggie McNeal was at A&M. Chris Leak had signed with Florida, and I (:D) had signed with LSU. Tate went to Iowa because there was no better program that offered him a real scholarship.

However, I certainly believe there is a decent chance that Kyrie will end up in Indiana, and they seem to be right on par with Duke on his list right now.

rotogod00
08-26-2009, 12:39 PM
From ESPN's recruiting site:

ESPNU's No. 2 ranked point guard Kyrie Irving is finishing up his scintillating summer at the Five-Star Camp in Philadelphia this week and the 6-foot-1 guard took time on Tuesday to talk about his recruiting with ESPN.com.

Irving recently narrowed his list to six schools and has already scheduled on official visit.

"Indiana, Duke, Georgia Tech, Seton Hall, Connecticut and Kentucky are the schools I'm considering," Irving told ESPN.com. "I will be visiting Duke on September 18th and hope to set up other visits soon."

Irving went on to say he has no timeline for a decision but when he does decide his father will play a big role.

"I'm not sure when I'll decide. I really don't know," he offered. "My father (Dredrick, who starred at Boston University in the 1980's) will help narrow things down and finally make a choice."

When he does decide, Irving says it will be with a team that runs up and down the floor.

"I like to go up and down the court," he said. "I want to play in a style where we can get out on the break and wear other teams down."

jaygdevil11
08-26-2009, 12:53 PM
I guess that means Harrison and Irving will not be visiting on the same day.

airowe
08-26-2009, 01:12 PM
I guess that means Harrison and Irving will not be visiting on the same day.

That's been out for a while. Doesn't mean they can't commit on the same day... :D:D:D

roywhite
08-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Good article on Kyrie.

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2009/08/kyrie-irving-surprise-superstar/

HSH: And how does Duke see you fitting in?
KI: Well, they told me that they think I can be another Jason Williams. At first, honestly, I thought that he (Krzyzewski) was just saying that just to say it, but then coach K said it again. After I got to know coach K I learned that he doesn’t really throw comments out like that. So it’s an honor to be compared to him.

rotogod00
08-26-2009, 11:58 PM
Good article on Kyrie.

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2009/08/kyrie-irving-surprise-superstar/

HSH: And how does Duke see you fitting in?
KI: Well, they told me that they think I can be another Jason Williams. At first, honestly, I thought that he (Krzyzewski) was just saying that just to say it, but then coach K said it again. After I got to know coach K I learned that he doesn’t really throw comments out like that. So it’s an honor to be compared to him.

well, except to john wall too. i know that's comes across as a bit critical, but it's the first thing i thought of when i read irving's quote.

FireOgilvie
08-27-2009, 12:13 AM
well, except to john wall too. i know that's comes across as a bit critical, but it's the first thing i thought of when i read irving's quote.

Right, but it was true in both cases. It's not so bad being lumped in the same group as the number 1 player in the class ahead of you.

BlueintheFace
08-27-2009, 12:16 AM

actually he said it to kenny boynton. I don't recall reading about him saying it to Wall.

Welcome2DaSlopes
08-27-2009, 02:25 AM
I can see it now headlines read " #1 Prospect Harrison Barnes and #2 Point Guard Kyrie Irving in the Class of 2010 commit to Duke on the same day."

Doesn't it just bring a smile to your face.

SilkyJ
08-27-2009, 01:47 PM
actually he said it to kenny boynton. I don't recall reading about him saying it to Wall.

In the case of wall and irving it just fits b/c they are scoring PGs, just like JWill was. KB is more of a SG or combo guard at this point, but would project to a PG in the pros and would need to adjust to playing more PG at the college level, so it would seem an apt comparison there as well.

Honestly, I think Irving is the best comparison as he plays PG and is adept at both scoring from 3 and getting to the rim. Wall wasn't as good of a shooter (IIRC) and KB didn't really play PG all that much. The main difference would be their body build as Jwill was built like a halfback...

ScreechTDX1847
08-27-2009, 02:09 PM
I hate to be pessimistic with regard to our chances of securing a verbal from Irving but I don't see it happeneing.

I think IU gets him based on all of his comments thus far. They seem to be the leading horse:

1.) Journalism school
2.) High School coach initially beleives he is a IU lean.
3.) Kyrie mentions IU first when asked general recruiting questions.

Based on interviews it just seems like he is all about IU. I'm not holding my breath we get him. Hopefully, we are making some headway with McCallum although I haven't heard much from that direction in a few weeks.

JasonEvans
08-27-2009, 02:36 PM
I hate to be pessimistic with regard to our chances of securing a verbal from Irving but I don't see it happeneing.

I think IU gets him based on all of his comments thus far. They seem to be the leading horse:

1.) Journalism school

Based on interviews it just seems like he is all about IU. I'm not holding my breath we get him. Hopefully, we are making some headway with McCallum although I haven't heard much from that direction in a few weeks.

For someone who hates to be pessimistic, you sure seem to be looking for the worst in the situation.

Be as skeptical as you want, but from what I hear Duke is very, very much in the running in this. Indiana may have been a leader at one time, but things change.

--Jason "panic does not suit newbie posters well" Evans

-jk
08-27-2009, 04:15 PM
--Jason "panic does not suit newbie posters well" Evans

We have plenty of experienced posters for that. ;)

-jk

ice-9
08-27-2009, 10:41 PM
It doesn't sound like the poster was panicking.

I kinda agree with him.

I believe Duke has a great chance to secure Kyrie, but it does seem like he has an IU lean.

speedevil2001
08-27-2009, 11:35 PM
I can see it now headlines read " #1 Prospect Harrison Barnes and #2 Point Guard Kyrie Irving in the Class of 2010 commit to Duke on the same day."

Doesn't it just bring a smile to your face.

they wont commit on the same day...but i would like see both of them committing soon, especially to duke. i think kyrie will commit to a college before barnes.

Welcome2DaSlopes
08-28-2009, 01:25 AM
I agree but just imagine.

Also Kyrie father starred at Boston College in the late 80's and will help him make his decison. Do you think he would have some vengence against Duke.

FireOgilvie
08-28-2009, 01:36 AM
I agree but just imagine.

Also Kyrie father starred at Boston College in the late 80's and will help him make his decison. Do you think he would have some vengence against Duke.

His father actually played at Boston University.

Welcome2DaSlopes
08-28-2009, 01:44 AM
Hahaha i stand corrected.

That makes me feel better about him helping Kyrie

SeattleIrish
08-28-2009, 02:49 AM
Not hatin' on Kyrie at all, but it's hard to imagine ANYONE going into Journalism right now. I wish it wasn't true, but Journalists...experienced and talented...are struggleing to fine ENTRY level jobs.

Very rough market for journalists.

s.i.

1.) Journalism school

Welcome2DaSlopes
08-28-2009, 02:59 AM
Yea i agree. I mean at first it seems like a good idea. But with the new technology like twitter it's hard to see Journalism lasting as a good job to have.

Although considering he becames a college and Nba star. Then becoming a journalist he would always be able to find a job.

airowe
08-28-2009, 08:04 AM
Look, I like that movie as much as the rest guy but that doesn't mean I go around quoting it all day.

Back to Kyrie, he just won the MVP of the 5-star camp which makes at least two for him this summer. He's a stud and seems to be a high-charcter guy.
We're very much in this race with IU and I think the only big obstacle we have to overcome is that the Hoosier staff have been going after Kyrie for a longer time. We've made up a ton of ground, in Orlando and other places this summer and we'll get his first OV as well as his first in-home. I like our chances.

airowe
08-28-2009, 11:44 AM
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/08/27/kyrie-irving-sets-duke-visit/

I just spoke with Drederick Irving, the father of Elizabeth (N.J.) St. Patrick guard Kyrie Irving.

He said Kyrie will likely visit Duke the weekend of Sept. 25, not Sept. 18 as originally reported.

“It’s probably going to be the following week for Duke,” he said. “It’s a matter of me figuring out what works, but more than likely it will be the 25th.”

tommygunn
08-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Drederick Irving played basketball in Australia in the early 90's.
Did you know that Kyrie Irving was born in Australia?

Greg_Newton
08-31-2009, 12:57 PM
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/08/27/kyrie-irving-sets-duke-visit/

It also says Duke's in-home visit with Kyrie is a week from this Wednesday... big month coming up for our recruiting.

roywhite
08-31-2009, 01:06 PM
It also says Duke's in-home visit with Kyrie is a week from this Wednesday... big month coming up for our recruiting.

Coach K shows up at the Irving household with (roughly) the following pitch:

Son, we are offering you the keys to the car. What awaits you is a potential national championship, talent in place or arriving with you, great coaching, great facilities, and a great education. You can be just like another terrific guard from New Jersey, Jason Williams, was for us. This can be a great experience for you and propel you to a professional career and beyond.

I realize there are other worthy schools involved...but, really, how does the young man turn this down?

SupaDave
08-31-2009, 01:11 PM

Son, we are offering you the keys to the car. What awaits you is a potential national championship, talent in place or arriving with you, great coaching, great facilities, and a great education. You can be just like another terrific guard from New Jersey, Jason Williams, was for us. This can be a great experience for you and propel you to a professional career and beyond.

I realize there are other worthy schools involved...but, really, how does the young man turn this down?

Ever heard of Eric Gordon?

roywhite
08-31-2009, 01:19 PM
Ever heard of Eric Gordon?

Yeah, but he was an Indiana Mr. Basketball. More inclined (or pressured) to play for the good ole U of Indiana

This looks just like the Jason Williams recruitment scenario...paging David and Althea Williams. :)

SupaDave
08-31-2009, 01:21 PM
Yeah, but he was an Indiana Mr. Basketball. More inclined (or pressured) to play for the good ole U of Indiana

This looks just like the Jason Williams recruitment scenario...paging David and Althea Williams. :)

He also sets a one and done precedent for the guard position at Indiana also...

proelitedota
08-31-2009, 01:22 PM

A potential roster consisting of
Kyle Singler
Nolan Smith
Seth Curry
Andre Dawkins
Mason Plumlee
Ryan Kelly
Miles Plumlee
Joshua Hairston
Olek Czyz
Tyler Thornton
Kyrie Irving
Harrison Barnes
should be irresistable to any prospect looking for a national championship. This is a team that can probably average more than 100 points a game (8 players capable of double digit scoring).
Not predicting anything about the future, but I am really excited about the depth of our 2011 team even with just the committed players.

NSDukeFan
08-31-2009, 03:49 PM
A potential roster consisting of
Kyle Singler
Nolan Smith
Seth Curry
Andre Dawkins
Mason Plumlee
Ryan Kelly
Miles Plumlee
Joshua Hairston
Olek Czyz
Tyler Thornton
Kyrie Irving
Harrison Barnes
should be irresistable to any prospect looking for a national championship. This is a team that can probably average more than 100 points a game (8 players capable of double digit scoring).
Not predicting anything about the future, but I am really excited about the depth of our 2011 team even with just the committed players.

on what you are looking for. I agree this potential roster is extremely exciting to think about. I would have to disagree that the team would average 100 points, not due to lack of players capable of scoring double digits, but lack of minutes for all those players to be double digit scorers. There are only so many minutes for everyone to play.

Also, if you are in Kyrie's position, if you want a shot at a championship, yes, this lineup would be the favorite. It depends on Kyle and Barnes also being around, which I, and everyone else, is hoping for, but is not guaranteed. A championship may not be his priority though. He may be looking for a better place to showcase his game and be more of the focus. On this roster, it would be hard to see him getting much more than 25 minutes per game and certainly not 30. He would, however, be practicing against a fantastic group every day, as well. He would also, of course, be learning from the best coach.

Tough decision. I hope he makes the right one (in the minds of almost everyone on this site).

ACCBBallFan
08-31-2009, 08:38 PM
25 MPG is plenty to showcase one's skills.

Particularly if goal is to make your teammates better as a PG, having great teammates makes that easier to do, as was case with Paulus stats frosh year.

houstondukie
08-31-2009, 10:12 PM
Irving calls himself a 2-3 yr. player so he will have plenty of time to showcase his skills. I personally see him, along w/ Harrison Barnes, staying 3 years. Because he's not a one-and-done, I don't think he will be too concerned about playing time as a freshman, and he should get plenty anyway.

Welcome2DaSlopes
08-31-2009, 10:20 PM
I don't see him starting over Nolan smith or Seth curry maybe Brandon Knight can but not Kyrie.

Bob Green
09-01-2009, 05:07 AM
I don't see him starting over Nolan smith or Seth curry maybe Brandon Knight can but not Kyrie.

Kyrie Irving is a point guard while Nolan Smith is a combo guard and Seth Curry is a shooting guard. As far as Brandon Knight is concerned, DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2011/) has KI (#7) ahead of BK (#9). I have no problem believing Kyrie Irving could compete to start as a freshman at Duke.

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-01-2009, 05:27 AM
He would compete and most likely get 6th man or starter min. but i don't see K starting him over either of the two.

Bob Green
09-01-2009, 07:34 AM
He would compete and most likely get 6th man or starter min. but i don't see K starting him over either of the two.

Instead of throwing out a one line statement and expecting it to be received as fact, could you elaborate on the rationale behind your statement?

Arguing the other side of the coin, I'll start with the cliche: it doesn't matter who starts it matters who finishes. Seriously, do you not agree that Coach Krzyzewski will start and play the guy who is best suited to help the team win? Kyrie Irving is a talented player and he could be an awesome addition to our line-up. Personally, I'm not concerned about if KI will start or come of the bench, he will be an impact player. The pieces are falling into place and KI is a potentially prominent player.

Traditionally, Duke runs a three guard offense so a starting line-up of Nolan Smith, Seth Curry and Kyrie Irving; or, Nolan Smith, Andre Dawkins, and Kyrie Irving; or, Seth Curry, Andre Dawkins, and Kyrie Irving are all legitimate possibilities.

The same argument is defensible for Brandon Knight or Ray McCallum. What is important is that we need to sign one of the three to run the point.

airowe
09-01-2009, 08:12 AM
Instead of throwing out a one line statement and expecting it to be received as fact, could you elaborate on the rationale behind your statement?

Arguing the other side of the coin, I'll start with the cliche: it doesn't matter who starts it matters who finishes. Seriously, do you not agree that Coach Krzyzewski will start and play the guy who is best suited to help the team win? Kyrie Irving is a talented player and he could be an awesome addition to our line-up. Personally, I'm not concerned about if KI will start or come of the bench, he will be an impact player. The pieces are falling into place and KI is a potentially prominent player.

Traditionally, Duke runs a three guard offense so a starting line-up of Nolan Smith, Seth Curry and Kyrie Irving; or, Nolan Smith, Andre Dawkins, and Kyrie Irving; or, Seth Curry, Andre Dawkins, and Kyrie Irving are all legitimate possibilities.

The same argument is defensible for Brandon Knight or Ray McCallum. What is important is that we need to sign one of the three to run the point.

I agree with you to an extent Bob, but Nolan can absolutely run the point next year. He did unseat a returning Senior PG last year in just that role. Now, I agree completely that we need to sign one of the three top point guards we're targeting in '10-'11. Maybe we could start calling our offense the "Dribble Drive Score" offense and claim that we will play 3 point guards on the court at all times? Then we'd need all 3 for depth and in case of foul trouble. ;)

NSDukeFan
09-01-2009, 09:48 AM
25 MPG is plenty to showcase one's skills.

Particularly if goal is to make your teammates better as a PG, having great teammates makes that easier to do, as was case with Paulus stats frosh year.

I agree with you completely that 25 MPG is plenty, especially on a title contender. This is especially true if he is expecting to stay several years. He has just had such a great summer that he may have the option of leaving after his first year. Hopefully he won't, whether he goes to Duke or not.

I agree that if we get one of the top point guards next year, (and maybe even if we don't) there is a great chance that we will start, or play a lot of minutes in, a 3 guard lineup. This is unless the fantastic happens and we have Barnes and Singler, or if Ryan Kelly really steps up. I also don't expect to see a scenario where Nolan isn't starting next year. I am expecting he will have a great year this year and be a great senior starter next year. Would that ever be a stacked lineup if a senior Nolan was not starting. This is all speculation at this point, but exciting to think about. It would be even more exciting if we make a final four run this year. :)
I can't believe there is still a month and a half until the Blue-White game/ Countdown to Craziness.

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-01-2009, 10:02 AM

Reason being I think Nolan would be a lot more experienced than Kyrie at the 1 and 2 and I can only hope and most likely expect that HB comes to Duke if kyrie is there. So HB is at the three or two depending if Kyle stays and is at the three. That leaves no spots. Or if HB is at the three and Kyle at the four that leaves Seth,Andre, and Kyrie to cover the last guard spot. Depending if K wants it to be the point or shooting i still don't see him starting over either on of those two for the two. Nolan would be also would be better at the point than Kyrie is senior year in my opinion. Plus Tyler Thorton is on the roster. He's not going to start but def. take min. away.

So like i said I don't think Kyrie will start his freshman year. But get a lot of min.

Bud
09-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Kyrie knows if he comes to Duke he will get plenty of playing time. It does not matter if he starts are not.

houstondukie
09-01-2009, 12:08 PM
By the time Nolan Smith is a senior, after a season where Duke has no choice but to play Nolan at PG for a significant number of minutes, he will be a very capable PG in 2010-2011. With that said, I can certainly see Duke starting Irving at the PG spot and moving Nolan to the SG spot, but this depends more on Irving's ability to run the point from day 1 rather than Nolan's ability to run the point. No way Nolan is not starting his senior year.

jesus_hurley
09-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Don't forget Kyrie was the 6th man on one of his teams over the summer - he adjusted to his role, played starter minutes, was on the court at the critical moments, and (iirc) got MVP. So I don't think not being guaranteed to be in the starting 5 will be the deciding factor on whether he comes to Duke or not.

http://duke.scout.com/2/886710.html

SilkyJ
09-01-2009, 12:20 PM

And at the end of the day, I think that's the real point (no pun intended): Kyrie (or Ray) are pure point guards. Nolan has a PG's size and quickness, but he's just learning how to play the position.

I agree with you to an extent Bob, but Nolan can absolutely run the point next year. He did unseat a returning Senior PG last year in just that role.

Look, I hope he can, but you cannot say Nolan can "absolutely" do that when he clearly struggled last year to run the offense and distribute the ball like a top flight PG and the senior he displaced wasn't all that impressive in the first place, and was a liability on defense. Nolan is still learning the position, and given that Jon attended the Deron W. PG camp this summer, methinks the staff plan to use Jon to initiate the offense quite a bit and Nolan will continue to play off the ball quite a bit. So I'm not totally convinced Nolan is out starting PG of the future. It would be good for him to earn that role though, as he is still too small to play SG in the L, so he needs to develop those skills.

airowe
09-01-2009, 12:56 PM
And at the end of the day, I think that's the real point (no pun intended): Kyrie (or Ray) are pure point guards. Nolan has a PG's size and quickness, but he's just learning how to play the position.

Look, I hope he can, but you cannot say Nolan can "absolutely" do that when he clearly struggled last year to run the offense and distribute the ball like a top flight PG and the senior he displaced wasn't all that impressive in the first place, and was a liability on defense. Nolan is still learning the position, and given that Jon attended the Deron W. PG camp this summer, methinks the staff plan to use Jon to initiate the offense quite a bit and Nolan will continue to play off the ball quite a bit. So I'm not totally convinced Nolan is out starting PG of the future. It would be good for him to earn that role though, as he is still too small to play SG in the L, so he needs to develop those skills.

True, I may be guilty of some hyperbole and revisionist history.

I, For one, see Nolan really showing up this year, whether as the lead guard or in more of an off the ball slasher. Because of that, I see him nailing down a starting spot in his Senior Year. With Andre Dawkins and Seth Curry on the roster at SG, I don't see Nolan taking many minutes from either of these guys so I put him at the PG, regardless of who the Freshman is.

Its going to be a nice problem for K to have if it all goes down like we hope.

Bud
09-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Coach K will start the better pg who ever that might be I never thought I would see Nolan start over Paulus last year but he did becouse he was simply better.

airowe
09-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Zags has Kyrie Irving's OV and in-home visit schedules up:

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/09/02/kyrie-irvings-visit-schedule/

Not much new here, but its more and more obvious that this is a two-horse race. We get him first on both the OVs and in-homes so hopefully K and the crew can make a good impression. I like that Kyrie gets a few days to simmer after we come there but all the others are back-to-back.

nyr484
09-02-2009, 01:57 PM
^
Kyrie is visiting on homecoming weekend, Sept 25-26. It's too bad he won't be able to make it to a basketball game, because the football games, while fun, are somewhat dreary by comparison. I do hope he makes it to tailgate.

SupaDave
09-02-2009, 04:15 PM
^
Kyrie is visiting on homecoming weekend, Sept 25-26. It's too bad he won't be able to make it to a basketball game, because the football games, while fun, are somewhat dreary by comparison. I do hope he makes it to tailgate.

More time to play pick-up ball with the guys...

Bud
09-02-2009, 04:59 PM
We really need this kid lets hope his visit goes well.

BlueintheFace
09-02-2009, 06:06 PM
As good of a recruiter as K is, I would hope that Kyrie gets a little exposure to the players as well on his official visit. I'm sure it would be helpful for a certain freshman to rave about his experience so far to Kyrie.

yancem
09-03-2009, 04:27 PM
According to Zagsblog Irvings visits look like this: http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/09/02/kyrie-irvings-visit-schedule/

Sept. 9 – Duke
Sept. 12 – Georgia Tech
Sept. 13 – Indiana
Sept. 14 – Texas A&M
Sept. 15 – Kentucky
Sept. 16 – UConn
Sept. 17 – Seton Hall
Sept. 25 – Duke Official
Oct. 2 – Indiana Official

From Sept. 12-17 that's 6 schools in 6 days. Does that seem strange to anyone else. I would have to think that this schedule would mean he has to take the week off from school, 2-3 weeks into the school year!

On a different note, here's to hoping that Duke and IU remain his only official visits and maybe the IU visit gets vacated.

wilko
09-03-2009, 04:36 PM
According to Zagsblog Irvings visits look like this: http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/09/02/kyrie-irvings-visit-schedule/

Sept. 9 – Duke
Sept. 12 – Georgia Tech

On a different note, here's to hoping that Duke and IU remain his only official visits and maybe the IU visit gets vacated.

I am getting quite a nice feeling about this, the 9th being my birthday and all. I wouldnt look to exchange THIS kinds of gift.. I'd be rather delighted indeed. :D

FireOgilvie
09-03-2009, 04:40 PM

Sept. 9 – Duke
Sept. 12 – Georgia Tech
Sept. 13 – Indiana
Sept. 14 – Texas A&M
Sept. 15 – Kentucky
Sept. 16 – UConn
Sept. 17 – Seton Hall
Sept. 25 – Duke Official
Oct. 2 – Indiana Official

From Sept. 12-17 that's 6 schools in 6 days. Does that seem strange to anyone else. I would have to think that this schedule would mean he has to take the week off from school, 2-3 weeks into the school year!

Those are in-home visits. I don't think they take that much time. I'm sure the coaches and his family have dinner, etc.

WiJoe
09-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Sorry to say, I predict there is NO WAY Kyrie doesn't take his visit to indiana. This will be just like the stinking yankees (without the $$$$). "Just make our visit the last one. Don't do anything until you visit us. " I'd be stunned if he doesn't make the indiana visit Happy as heck, but stunned.

Go Duke!

:eek:

BlueintheFace
09-03-2009, 06:48 PM
It's going to take a great sell by coach K.

yancem
09-04-2009, 08:36 AM
Those are in-home visits. I don't think they take that much time. I'm sure the coaches and his family have dinner, etc.

Ah, that makes a lot more sense. Still that makes for a busy week!

airowe
09-04-2009, 08:43 AM
Ah, that makes a lot more sense. Still that makes for a busy week!

At least he has a few days after the Duke staff leaves to think about those J-Will comparisons...

jaygdevil11
09-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Victor Oladipo committed to Indiana today, hopefully that will push Kyrie our way.

http://indiana.scout.com/

Azdukefan
09-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Victor Oladipo committed to Indiana today, hopefully that will push Kyrie our way.

http://indiana.scout.com/

It looks like Oladipo is a shooting guard. With KI being a PG how does this helps us? Just wondering your thought process.

airowe
09-07-2009, 08:34 PM
It looks like Oladipo is a shooting guard. With KI being a PG how does this helps us? Just wondering your thought process.

It does create a scholarship crunch for next year, not this year. This doesn't impact Kyrie at all...

chrisheery
09-07-2009, 09:17 PM
It does create a scholarship crunch for next year, not this year. This doesn't impact Kyrie at all...

Agreed, if anything, I would think getting a very good SG would increase the chances a stud PG would like to join the recruiting class.

That said, Harrison Barnes is a much better SG/SF and lets hope we get the both of these guys together.

airowe
09-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Agreed, if anything, I would think getting a very good SG would increase the chances a stud PG would like to join the recruiting class.

That said, Harrison Barnes is a much better SG/SF and lets hope we get the both of these guys together.

Ya think? There's some very strong chatter over on TDD tonight that KI is coming this way, FWIW.

6th Man
09-07-2009, 09:41 PM
I want Harrison Barnes in Duke blue really bad....but I honestly think Irving is more critical. The PG is so important in Duke's system and this kid is exactly the kind of dynamic PG we need. Our championships have come with Duke's greatest PG's. Hurley and J-Will.

G man
09-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Two days unitl he is on campus... How great would it be for him to make his choice right then. I hope we put on a great show!

FireOgilvie
09-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Two days unitl he is on campus... How great would it be for him to make his choice right then. I hope we put on a great show!

I thought there was an in-home visit on the 9th, and then his official visit at Duke was on September 25th.

BlueintheFace
09-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Indiana has ONE more scholarship available for the 2009-2010 season and it is Kyrie Irving's to take. However, should he take it, Crean would have to "decline to offer" one of his current players a scholarship for the 2010-2011 season since IU will be one over the limit w/ KI on board.

If you are curious, I believe the Indiana Scout board has a scholarship chart for viewing.

airowe
09-07-2009, 09:55 PM
I thought there was an in-home visit on the 9th, and then his official visit at Duke was on September 25th.

Yep.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/09/02/kyrie-irvings-visit-schedule/

Elizabeth (N.J.) St. Patrick guard Kyrie Irving is going to be very busy entertaining coaches for in-home visits over the next few weeks. Here’s his schedule.

Sept. 9 – Duke

jaygdevil11
09-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Ya think? There's some very strong chatter over on TDD tonight that KI is coming this way, FWIW.

That is what I have been reading as well, I initially thought that the commit Indiana received today would help us with Kyrie. I did not realize he was a SG/wing.

flyingdutchdevil
09-08-2009, 04:57 AM
I want Harrison Barnes in Duke blue really bad....but I honestly think Irving is more critical. The PG is so important in Duke's system and this kid is exactly the kind of dynamic PG we need. Our championships have come with Duke's greatest PG's. Hurley and J-Will.

I couldn't agree more. Losing Barnes would be awful, but it wouldn't be as painful as losing Kyrie. Duke hasn't had a dominant PG since Duhon's senior year and there was a reason that we made it to the FF that year. Wings are always fun, but I would take a highly rated PG over a highly rated wing any day (and preferrably both)

Cali-Duke
09-08-2009, 05:39 AM
I couldn't agree more. Losing Barnes would be awful, but it wouldn't be as painful as losing Kyrie. Duke hasn't had a dominant PG since Duhon's senior year and there was a reason that we made it to the FF that year. Wings are always fun, but I would take a highly rated PG over a highly rated wing any day (and preferrably both)

Our championship teams did have elite point guards, but they also had dynamic wings like Grant Hill, Shane Battier, and Mike Dunleavy. One without the other won't make us a championship-caliber team.

To me, this dilemma is like choosing between Jay Williams and Shane Battier (I know they aren't the same year, but still). I don't think I could decide who was more important.

flyingdutchdevil
09-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Our championship teams did have elite point guards, but they also had dynamic wings like Grant Hill, Shane Battier, and Mike Dunleavy. One without the other won't make us a championship-caliber team.

To me, this dilemma is like choosing between Jay Williams and Shane Battier (I know they aren't the same year, but still). I don't think I could decide who was more important.

While I take your point, I think you have to look outside the box to see the importance of the PG. Championships aren't made merely of one great PG - they are usually a great PG and either a) great wings, b) great posts, or c) both. However, they all generally have great PGs (Cuse and Melo excluded). Both UNC title teams with Felton and Lawson, Kansas with Chamlers, Florida with Taureen Green...the list goes on. Obviously, not all teams will have a PG who succeeds in the NBA, but they are currently highly rated and extremely capable.

rotogod00
09-08-2009, 09:05 AM
While I take your point, I think you have to look outside the box to see the importance of the PG. Championships aren't made merely of one great PG - they are usually a great PG and either a) great wings, b) great posts, or c) both. However, they all generally have great PGs (Cuse and Melo excluded). Both UNC title teams with Felton and Lawson, Kansas with Chamlers, Florida with Taureen Green...the list goes on. Obviously, not all teams will have a PG who succeeds in the NBA, but they are currently highly rated and extremely capable.

I agree as well. A dominant point guard who can break down the defense and create easy baskets should be our #1 priority. That type of player has such an impact on the game.

Kedsy
09-08-2009, 09:16 AM

Felton and Lawson, while I hate to admit it, were both great college PGs. But while Chalmers and Green were both good players, would you really describe them as "great PG"s? I wouldn't. Green's senior year he averaged 3.7 assists to 2.7 turnovers. Hardly great. And Chalmers seemed to me to be really more of a combo guard than a point guard.

Personally, I agree that guard play is the key to winning in college. And most championship teams have really good players at most positions, especially guard. But when you use Mario Chalmers and Taurean Green to support an argument that you need a great PG to win a championship, you're practically arguing against yourself.

airowe
09-08-2009, 09:20 AM
I agree as well. A dominant point guard who can break down the defense and create easy baskets should be our #1 priority. That type of player has such an impact on the game.

I agree with both of you in general, but if we lose Kyle (likely), our talent level on the wings will take a serious hit. Harrison could go a long way in making up that loss.

Now, if we had Kyle, Harrison, and Kyrie...

rotogod00
09-08-2009, 09:32 AM
I agree with both of you in general, but if we lose Kyle (likely), our talent level on the wings will take a serious hit. Harrison could go a long way in making up that loss.

Now, if we had Kyle, Harrison, and Kyrie...

No doubt. Never said I wouldn't welcome Barnes with open arms ;-)

moonpie23
09-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Felton and Lawson, while I hate to admit it, were both great college PGs.

Personally, I agree that guard play is the key to winning in college. And most championship teams have really good players at most positions, especially guard. But when you use Mario Chalmers and Taurean Green to support an argument that you need a great PG to win a championship, you're practically arguing against yourself.

without felton or lawson, those two banners don't get put up...

flyingdutchdevil
09-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Felton and Lawson, while I hate to admit it, were both great college PGs. But while Chalmers and Green were both good players, would you really describe them as "great PG"s? I wouldn't. Green's senior year he averaged 3.7 assists to 2.7 turnovers. Hardly great. And Chalmers seemed to me to be really more of a combo guard than a point guard.

IMO, Chalmers was a great PG. He was the best defender on that team, was the team leader, could score when needed, and very very clutch (remember that 3pt?). He may have been a combo guard, but wasn't J-Will was kind of a combo guard as well? Gun to my head, if I had to make a choice, I'd call both Chalmbers and J-Will PGs.

With Green - you caught me - I definitely tried to over sell that! ;) He was a solid PG surrounded by great college players and it was them, not him, who were primarily responsible for the two championships.

airowe
09-08-2009, 01:45 PM
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/09/08/washburns-enrolled-at-st-patrick/

Once again the Celtics will play a loaded national schedule including at least a couple on ESPN:

Jan. 18 — Findlay (Nev.) Prep, Springfield Hoophall Classic, Springfield, Mass. (ESPNU)

Jan. 23 — St. Benedict’s, Homeless Classic, Elizabeth, N.J.

Jan. 30 — Memphis (Tenn.) White Station, Brian Doherty Classic, Newark, N.J.

Feb. 6 – Taft (Calif.) or Westchester (Calif.), Nike Extravaganza, Calif.

Feb. 12 – Oak Hill (Va.), Primetime Shootout, Rutgers, ESPN2

Feb. 13 – Rice (N.Y.), Primetime Shootout, Trenton

G man
09-08-2009, 05:33 PM

my bad your right

Kedsy
09-08-2009, 05:59 PM
IMO, Chalmers was a great PG. He was the best defender on that team, was the team leader, could score when needed, and very very clutch (remember that 3pt?). He may have been a combo guard, but wasn't J-Will was kind of a combo guard as well? Gun to my head, if I had to make a choice, I'd call both Chalmbers and J-Will PGs.

Well, I do remember the shot in the Finals (I was sitting in the Kansas section at the time), but watching Kansas in that Final Four I had the impression the other kid (Robinson?) was more of a PG and Chalmers was more of a SG. It may have been just my impression, but Chalmers didn't seem to have the ball in his hands nearly as much as JWill used to have for us. Although I also know Chalmers had decent assist numbers, which is why I called him a combo guard.

In any event, I agree with you that guard play is essential to be a winning college team, and that a top notch PG is an excellent first step toward being a special team. I just think the Florida and Kansas champions were bad examples of the PG generalization (while the UNC and Duke champions were good examples).

Hopefully, Kyrie will come to Duke and provide another good example.

airowe
09-09-2009, 09:43 AM
my bad your right

In-home visit today, let's hope it goes well.

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-09-2009, 10:01 AM
O Well of course some say today is a special day. Lets see if we can get a commitment on the spot.

or am I too optimistic.

jaygdevil11
09-09-2009, 01:40 PM
I hope today goes well, I have not wanted a recruit more then Kyrie in a while, that includes Barnes. With him and Dawkins I think we would have something special.

airowe
09-09-2009, 02:01 PM
I hope today goes well, I have not wanted a recruit more then Kyrie in a while, that includes Barnes. With him and Dawkins I think we would have something special.

I assume when you refer to Dawkins, you're talking about how our backcourt will project. Don't forget about Seth Curry, Nolan Smith, and Tyler Thornton. That's something special.

quickgtp
09-09-2009, 02:03 PM
I don't think you can be too optimistic in recruiting, but in this case this isn't going to happen tonight. Kyrie hasn't even visited the campus yet.

BlueintheFace
09-09-2009, 02:30 PM
I don't think you can be too optimistic in recruiting, but in this case this isn't going to happen tonight. Kyrie hasn't even visited the campus yet.

Agreed. Irving is not going to be quick on the trigger for any school unless it is Indiana IMO (which is pretty much entirely based upon wild speculation and inferences from inadequate evidence). I predict Irving, like Barnes, will go through the whole process first.

JaMarcus Russell
09-09-2009, 04:13 PM
The good news with Irving is that he will probably have a shorter process because it seems like he has narrowed his choices down more than Barnes. Every analyst seems to think he has only two main choices.

roywhite
09-09-2009, 04:18 PM

Probably won't happen tonight, but Kyrie has been to campus. He played in the Bob Gibbons Tournament of Champions here in May and took a quick spin around campus. Not the same as an official visit, to be sure.

jaygdevil11
09-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Per Kyrie's facebook status posted 20 min ago

Kyrie Irving "In home with duke tonight let's get it"

I really like the let's get it part, get him K!

SilkyJ
09-10-2009, 12:07 AM
Per Kyrie's facebook status posted 20 min ago

Kyrie Irving "In home with duke tonight let's get it"

I really like the let's get it part, get him K!

Its time to go to bed on the west coast on still no word on how it went?! I thought we lived in an on-demand world!

Gunnar Kaufman
09-10-2009, 12:14 AM
Kyrie's Twitter status now reads, "Hungry and humble...people better watch out cuz [sic] this is the start of my journey."

He posted that half an hour ago.

BlueintheFace
09-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Kyrie's Twitter status now reads, "Hungry and humble...people better watch out cuz [sic] this is the start of my journey."

He posted that half an hour ago.

He could very easily be talking about his recruitment schedule as a journey. It certainly is a grueling schedule.

MJS4Duke11
09-10-2009, 09:25 AM
School this morning...had a great visit with duke and today is Kentucky..(.time for my mentality to change) erbody have a blessed day..

Time for my mentality to change?

SupaDave
09-10-2009, 10:53 AM
School this morning...had a great visit with duke and today is Kentucky..(.time for my mentality to change) erbody have a blessed day..

Sounds like he plans on being a tougher sell today.

airowe
09-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Sounds like he plans on being a tougher sell today.

I'd need to change my mentality too to get ready for Calimari to come into my house.

SilkyJ
09-10-2009, 12:37 PM
I'd need to change my mentality too to get ready for Calimari to come into my house.

If that was on purpose (and I believe it was) then I am both impressed, humored, and angry that I didn't think of it first! JC is definitely the slimy squid type.

jaygdevil11
09-10-2009, 01:27 PM

I have a really good feeling about how this is going to turn out. With K visiting Barnes yesterday as well, I bet he talked to both of them about playing together.

airowe
09-10-2009, 01:36 PM
If that was on purpose (and I believe it was) then I am both impressed, humored, and angry that I didn't think of it first! JC is definitely the slimy squid type.

It was on purpose. He's a slimy squid.

Devilsfan
09-11-2009, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the insight. Nice to know our staffs' hard work is paying off and we're going after athletes that know the value of a Duke education in the classroom and on the court and field.

houstondukie
09-11-2009, 02:23 PM
FWIW, Rivals.com now has only DUKE listed as HIGH interest and Indiana as Medium.

SupaDave
09-11-2009, 03:16 PM
FWIW, Rivals.com now has only DUKE listed as HIGH interest and Indiana as Medium.

From what I hear it sounds like Kyrie has enjoyed himself. Now we wait and watch.

And please - if it's not free - don't post it here (and you shouldn't advertise it either...)

JasonEvans
09-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Folks--

A series of posts have been deleted that included what appeared to be premium content taken from a pay recruiting website.

First of all, the DBR has a stringent policy against posting this kind of content. These recruiting websites charge for their services and put a lot of time and money into getting recruiting info. Giving it away for free is against their policy and not something the DBR will allow on these pages.

Secondly, the DBR mods are (for the most part) not subscribers to premium recruiting services. Even if we were, we simply would not be able to catch premium info the moment it got posted on the DBR. This is where the rest of you come in. If you see something that you suspect is premium content, I urge you to use the "Report Post" button to inform the mods about it. Feel free to include information in your report that will allow us to verify that the content of the post is, in fact, premium content.

What you should not do is get into a posting fight where you accuse other posters of improper conduct and begin shouting at each other. Report posts that are wrong and let the mods deal with it. That is what we get paid to do ;)

I hope this clarifies the situation and explains why so many posts have disappeared from this thread today.

-Jason "recruiting rumors-- they're fantastinsane" Evans

MulletMan
09-11-2009, 03:54 PM
That is what we get paid to do ;)

YOU'RE GETTING PAID!? :eek:

Julio... you got some splainin' to do!

SilkyJ
09-11-2009, 03:57 PM
That is what we get paid to do ;)

I hope this clarifies the situation and explains why so many posts have disappeared from this thread today.

You're getting paid!?

Looks like I was busy eating and not typing. MulletMan beat me to the punch

BlueintheFace
09-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Paid eh? Practicing law is overrated. Julio, where do I turn in an application?