24 -- MARYLAND (Parents' Weekend)
31 -- at Virginia

November
7 -- at North Carolina
14 -- GEORGIA TECH
21 -- at Miami
28 -- WAKE FOREST

Note November. Some eye-openers.

Weird that we don't finish with Carolina.

watzone
02-12-2009, 11:17 AM
You mean UNC is not last on the schedule for the first time in??? Tough Novemeber means Duke needs a good September. I guess Wake is seen as our rival now?
http://bluedevilnation.net/?p=1771

sue71, esq
02-12-2009, 11:20 AM
This sucks for me. There's only one home game that I don't have a work conflict and I might already have plans that weekend... ugh.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-12-2009, 11:20 AM
You mean UNC is not last on the schedule for the first time in???
Blasphemy! :eek:

I go back to the 1972 season, and carolina has always been our last regular season game. Of course, NC State used to be the next to last game as well, and the games were either both home or both away each year. I know they changed the State game placement to change that, and then with expansion we lost playing State every year.

jimsumner
02-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Duke played Clemson in Japan in 1991 following the Carolina game. But that was an unusual circumstance.

jjasper0729
02-12-2009, 11:30 AM
is there a reason we don't finish with UNC this year? just doesn't seem right

CameronBornAndBred
02-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Hell of a November there, but just think how much it would help to start off an incredibly tough and important month with a win at Carolina. I'd rather they stayed the last game too, but if we win, it will be a huge motivator for a strong finish.

Also just noticed only one open date. Don't we usually have two? And I'm looking forward to the Richmond game. I think everyone remembers their last visit to Durham.

DukieInKansas
02-12-2009, 11:34 AM
This sucks for me. There's only one home game that I don't have a work conflict and I might already have plans that weekend... ugh.

Bummer! I was going to see if I could join you for a Part Trois trip to Duke.

CameronBornAndBred
02-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Season tickets are available (http://ev6.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventInfo?ticketCode=GS%3AIBM%3AF09%3AFS%3A&linkID=duke&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=). Looks like same prices as last year.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Season tickets are available (http://ev6.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventInfo?ticketCode=GS%3AIBM%3AF09%3AFS%3A&linkID=duke&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=). Looks like same prices as last year.
Well, yes and no. It's like cereal box prices staying the same, but the box got smaller. Last year we had 7 home games, this season only 6.

If this is the price for a vastly improved football team, I will gladly pay it!

devil84
02-12-2009, 11:55 AM
The last game of the season seems to be falling on Thankgiving weekend. It did last year, and looks like it will this next season. Having the biggest rivalry game when the students aren't there is just wrong.

However, why can't we change the tradition in 2010, when the game will be here?

RelativeWays
02-12-2009, 11:55 AM
There are some tough games on there so depending on how the team improves, we can be 4-8, 5-7 or 6-6 (or maybe better with a little luck). I have full confidence that we will beat Wake this year, no doubt but I'm surprised that the UNC game is not the last of the RS. To be honest, I've always felt that UNC and State had a better rivalry in football than they did with us. With the close losses we've had against WFU in the last 3 seasons, I think I'd like to see Duke beat them as much as UNC. Wake fans are annoying anyway.

CameronBornAndBred
02-12-2009, 12:15 PM
There are some tough games on there so depending on how the team improves, we can be 4-8, 5-7 or 6-6 (or maybe better with a little luck).
Remember, with the 2 FCS teams this year, we have to be 7-5 to be bowl eligible. (Assuming we beat them both)

Ignatius07
02-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Duke played Clemson in Japan in 1991 following the Carolina game. But that was an unusual circumstance.

Uh, what?

CameronBornAndBred
02-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Uh, what?
From GoDuke.com
"Duke and Clemson met in Tokyo, Japan on November 30, 1991. The Tigers won the contest, 33-21."

OZZIE4DUKE
02-12-2009, 01:11 PM

Uh, what?
It was all about the money. That's not so unusual, is it? :rolleyes:

jimsumner
02-12-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm not quite sure what the "Uh, what" is referring to. Duke did play Clemson in Japan in the final game of the 1991 season, the week after the UNC game. Japan Bowl or some such.

Given the travel difficulties of getting from Durham and Clemson to Tokyo and back again, it seems logical to me that this game would be the final game of the season. Imagine trying to recover from that to play a game the following week. And Clemson played South Carolina the week before, and that's usually their season-ender. So, unusual and not easily duplicated circumstances.

orrnot
02-12-2009, 01:48 PM
While we're at it, for completeness note that Duke played Clemson on 12/1/1, two weeks after playing at North Carolina. This game was the rescheduled 9/15/1 game, which was postponed following the 9/11 attacks. We'll all hope these circumstances aren't duplicated; I'm just pointing it out because it's modestly interesting.

Bob Green
02-12-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm not quite sure what the "Uh, what" is referring to. Duke did play Clemson in Japan in the final game of the 1991 season, the week after the UNC game. Japan Bowl or some such.

The Coca-Cola Classic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola_Classic_(college_football)). Unfortunately, I was out at sea and unable to attend.

AtlBluRew
02-12-2009, 03:52 PM
I checked UNC's 2009 schedule, and their last game will be Nov. 28 at NC State. Perhaps, from an attendance POV, with many Duke fans being out of state, having the "true in-state" rival be the last game of the season makes more sense. Or perhaps Davis and Co. don't think of Duke as it's football rival.

I don't like have NCCU on the schedule, and I don't like having them for the Homecoming Game. I harbor ill will over the lacrosse mess, but even if I put that aside I see the prospect of Wade being filled with opposing fans on Duke's Homecoming weekend.

allenmurray
02-12-2009, 04:23 PM
I don't like have NCCU on the schedule, and I don't like having them for the Homecoming Game. I harbor ill will over the lacrosse mess,

It is unfair to paint the entirity of NCCU with the lacrosse brush.

And NCCU is here in Durham - I see it as a great opportunity to foster a relationship. However, the contrast between the bands will be enormous. I appreciate our band, but sometimes I go up at halftime to get a drink anduse the bathroo. I would remain in my seat for the NCCU band - it will be the best show of hte day. Thier band is a blast to watch.

CameronBornAndBred
02-12-2009, 04:28 PM

And NCCU is here in Durham - I see it as a great opportunity to foster a relationship. However, the contrast between the bands will be enormous. I appreciate our band, but sometimes I go up at halftime to get a drink anduse the bathroo. I would remain in my seat for the NCCU band - it will be the best show of hte day. Thier band is a blast to watch.
Yup, might have to run back to the brunchgate for a refresher in the 2cnd quarter to prepare for the halftime.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Looking forward to the football season and seeing the progress continue. Just hope the weather is more moderate than many days last fall. Games later in the day are great!

dukebsbll14
02-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Yeah thats weird no UNC last game of season...

Maryland on Parent's weekend...but of course my sister is graduating this year so I won't have any family to visit to see the game with (and I don't get to see DUI either :() I'll come up anyways probably

GO DUKE!!!

6th Man
02-12-2009, 04:54 PM
To me that is a slap in the face for the Tarheels to lobby for N.C. State to be the last game. Granted they have dominated the series, but this is a tradition and the games have been fairly competitive in recent years. Typical Tarholes though. Hope it fires Duke up and we win and State kicks their tail too.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-12-2009, 05:06 PM
To me that is a slap in the face for the Tarheels to lobby for N.C. State to be the last game. Granted they have dominated the series, but this is a tradition and the games have been fairly competitive in recent years. Typical Tarholes though. Hope it fires Duke up and we win and State kicks their tail too.
Did Carolina lobby for this change or is this speculation?

I've loved having the Carolina game at the end of the season, but having it over the Thanksgiving weekend has greatly reduced the student and other fans' attendance.

RelativeWays
02-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Objectively, the UNC/NCSU football rivalry has been more competitive over the last decade plus versus our rivalry with UNC, though the last 3 games with the holes have been great...though sour at the end for us. The UNC/NCSU game is usually the main ACC football game (non Duke) that I make sure to watch every year because its usually very entertaining.

jimsumner
02-12-2009, 05:30 PM
"To me that is a slap in the face for the Tarheels to lobby for N.C. State to be the last game"

Assuming facts not otherwise in evidence.

Duke-Carolina used to be a great football rivalry. Half of that rivalry hasn't held up its end of the bargain.

6th Man
02-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Did Carolina lobby for this change or is this speculation?

I've loved having the Carolina game at the end of the season, but having it over the Thanksgiving weekend has greatly reduced the student and other fans' attendance.

I have talked to various UNC alums that have said the school has been lobbying the ACC to change the last game to N.C. State. Now granted these are not the people making the decisions, but just people telling me what they have heard. Whether or not that is true I do not know. I personally would imagine that to be the case, but certainly I have no hard evidence.

While I am painfully aware of the domination by the wrong shade of blue, the last 4 games have been pretty competitive. 05-06 21-24L, 06-07 44-45L, 07-08 14-20L in OT, 08-09 20-28L. We have had the battle for the Victory Bell and been a part of rivalry week for many years. I personally think this is a great tradition to finish the season.

While we are at it, might as well have the Tar Holes and Wolfpack paint the Victory Bell light blue or red, since it is obvious we are no longer worthy of being the rival football team. My hope is that Coach Cut turns this around and we figure out how to turn the tables on UNC.

buddy
02-12-2009, 11:25 PM
the "rivalry" has lost its lustre since it was moved to the Saturday after Thanksgiving, instead of the Saturday before Thanksgiving. That scheduling made no sense to me, since as an international university, many if not most of Duke's students could not make the game. In addition, that weekend is a terrible time for alumni to travel in for the game. On the other hand, it makes great sense for UNC and NCSU to play that day. A substantial number of students from both schools can make the game, and both have substantial local alumni bases.

We will compete successfully with UNC under Coach Cut. If this scheduling remains intact, our students will be able to attend the games. It's hard to have a rivalry when one school does not show up (either on the field or in the stands). I personally would prefer to end the season with UNC, but do it on the Saturday before Thanksgiving. That can't be done. So this scheduling will have to do.

My only regret is that I know how badly Coach wants to beat Wake. I just hope we have a good crowd to see it.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-12-2009, 11:29 PM
the "rivalry" has lost its lustre since it was moved to the Saturday after Thanksgiving, instead of the Saturday before Thanksgiving. That scheduling made no sense to me, since as an international university, many if not most of Duke's students could not make the game. In addition, that weekend is a terrible time for alumni to travel in for the game. On the other hand, it makes great sense for UNC and NCSU to play that day. A substantial number of students from both schools can make the game, and both have substantial local alumni bases.

We will compete successfully with UNC under Coach Cut. If this scheduling remains intact, our students will be able to attend the games. It's hard to have a rivalry when one school does not show up (either on the field or in the stands). I personally would prefer to end the season with UNC, but do it on the Saturday before Thanksgiving. That can't be done. So this scheduling will have to do.

My only regret is that I know how badly Coach wants to beat Wake. I just hope we have a good crowd to see it.
If we can beat Carolina in football, we'll be happy whatever the date is!

watzone
02-13-2009, 12:05 AM

Duke and Clemson in Japan in 1991, Duke and Tulane in 1964, Duke and Notre Dame in 1961 and in the 30's Duke played N.C. State last.

PumpkinFunk
02-14-2009, 08:24 AM

The Athletic Department definitely won't let them do a field show - from what I understand, they don't let any ACC bands do it, and NCCU is certainly no exception to that rule.

Olympic Fan
02-14-2009, 10:33 AM
Duke and Clemson in Japan in 1991, Duke and Tulane in 1964, Duke and Notre Dame in 1961 and in the 30's Duke played N.C. State last.

The 1964 Duke-Tulane game was not scheduled to be last. It was originally scheduled for September. It was moved (like the 2001 Clemson game) due to circumstances -- in this case, for a hurricane that hit New Orleans the weekend that the game was originally scheduled.

The Notre Dame finale in 1961 and the UCLA finale in 1960 (which also came after the UNC game) were moved to after the UNC game to be national TV matchups (which was a VERY big deal in that era).

But you are right that before WWII, the UNC game was often played earlier in the season.

bill brill
02-14-2009, 03:38 PM
for the record, acc schools get one request on scheduling, duke's was that it get it's off week in the middle of the season, which was granted. unc's was that it wanted a thursday nite game during fall break, also granted. they never have had a thursday game because traffic would be impossible. the league office and TV wanted unc-state and you can hardly blame them. duke officials, including football folks, are fine with the switch because the students can come to the carolina game. duke-wake has been great entertainment, even if the deacs have won three lately they should have lost. if duke has won six games by then, I'd a lot rather be playing wake. some schools got absolutely hosed. miami can easily be 0-4 out of the box. georgia tech and virginia tech also have very difficult starts. they may well be out of the picture before we get to october. two schools have their bye week after they have played 11 straight games. duke has no complaints.

brianl
02-17-2009, 12:02 PM
This may have already been mentioned in another thread, but did anyone ever hear why the Duke/unc Football game is not closing out the season?

Hancock 4 Duke
02-17-2009, 03:16 PM
I also wonder why they don't close the season with UNC. It may not be the biggest college FOOTBALL rivalry, but it is still Duke and UNC.

blazindw
02-17-2009, 03:20 PM
This may have already been mentioned in another thread, but did anyone ever hear why the Duke/unc Football game is not closing out the season?

I moved your thread here because we had a previous discussion on the 2009 Football schedule. Previous posters had given some reasons about why Duke/UNC was not the final game anymore. Basically, the two reasons that were thrown out was because we wanted to make sure our students were here for the game to make Wally Wade a house filled with Duke Blue. 2nd, some reported that UNC had lobbied the ACC to make NC State their final game for the same reason (both have a high fan base that live in NC and will be around during Thanksgiving weekend to attend the game), and that we were not viewed as a worthy opponent in football.

I'm sure most of us totally disagree with the final sentiment, but here's hoping that Duke/UNC football can be like Texas/OU, Florida/Georgia, Michigan/Michigan State and other big time football rivalries that are played during the season and not as the final game.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-17-2009, 03:33 PM
I moved your thread here because we had a previous discussion on the 2009 Football schedule. Previous posters had given some reasons about why Duke/UNC was not the final game anymore. Basically, the two reasons that were thrown out was because we wanted to make sure our students were here for the game to make Wally Wade a house filled with Duke Blue. 2nd, some reported that UNC had lobbied the ACC to make NC State their final game for the same reason (both have a high fan base that live in NC and will be around during Thanksgiving weekend to attend the game), and that we were not viewed as a worthy opponent in football.

I'm sure most of us totally disagree with the final sentiment, but here's hoping that Duke/UNC football can be like Texas/OU, Florida/Georgia, Michigan/Michigan State and other big time football rivalries that are played during the season and not as the final game.
Of all the ideas posed in posts on this thread, I look to Bill Brill's comment for the most likely explanation.

formerdukeathlete
02-17-2009, 07:20 PM
for the record, acc schools get one request on scheduling, duke's was that it get it's off week in the middle of the season, which was granted. unc's was that it wanted a thursday nite game during fall break, also granted. they never have had a thursday game because traffic would be impossible. the league office and TV wanted unc-state and you can hardly blame them. duke officials, including football folks, are fine with the switch because the students can come to the carolina game. duke-wake has been great entertainment, even if the deacs have won three lately they should have lost. if duke has won six games by then, I'd a lot rather be playing wake. some schools got absolutely hosed. miami can easily be 0-4 out of the box. georgia tech and virginia tech also have very difficult starts. they may well be out of the picture before we get to october. two schools have their bye week after they have played 11 straight games. duke has no complaints.

Duke's best shot to out play unc consistently in Football is to take advantage of our markedly superior academic reputation in targeting the best (football talent wise) among the brightest prospects, which requires a national approach. UNC is a very nice state school 8 miles down the road. Look beyond them, and, for pete's sake, play them when our students are in town.

killerleft
02-18-2009, 11:42 AM
Duke's best shot to out play unc consistently in Football is to take advantage of our markedly superior academic reputation in targeting the best (football talent wise) among the brightest prospects, which requires a national approach. UNC is a very nice state school 8 miles down the road. Look beyond them, and, for pete's sake, play them when our students are in town.

Hmmm. You may be right, but I hope not. Since the national approach hasn't done us much good for years and years, I rather like Coach Cutcliffe's emphasis on landing in-state talent. I was about to start a new thread regarding that, seeing that we have two more in-state verbals to talk about.

I totally agree that ending the season against UNC is not as important as having our students at the game. And until we become a "deeper" team, we should derive a small advantage by playing against them earlier in season.

VAGentleman05
02-18-2009, 11:55 AM
It doesn't mention anything specific about this change, but here (http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/012109aab.html) is an interesting article by Michael Kelly (Assoc. Comm. of the ACC) about how the conference schedule is put together. It mentions the one request per school policy that bill brill referred to.

formerdukeathlete
02-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Hmmm. You may be right, but I hope not. Since the national approach hasn't done us much good for years and years, I rather like Coach Cutcliffe's emphasis on landing in-state talent. I was about to start a new thread regarding that, seeing that we have two more in-state verbals to talk about.

I totally agree that ending the season against UNC is not as important as having our students at the game. And until we become a "deeper" team, we should derive a small advantage by playing against them earlier in season.

Duke's last top rated class was 1986, and while I dont have the exacts, as I recall, the vast majority of the players were not from North Carolina.

I recently attended a fundraising event at which I brought up an interesting point. In 1997, the last time the NCAA released school football team math verbal SAT averages, Duke's team average was third, just barely behind Northwestern and about 25 points lower than Stanford's.

Presuming student entered data on rivals, espn, scout services is accurate, ball-parking, Stanford's 2009 entering class average is 150 points, minimum higher than Duke's. It might be 200 points higher. Harbaugh had different challenges, with class average targets, limits on the number of players on the lower end of the range. Stanford could recruit maybe 60 players nationally, and they landed 22 last count, taking smart kids away from USC, Ohio State, UCLA, Notre Dame. The result - in targeting the smart kids among top-rated football prospects, Stanford found a receptive audience. Stanford's class was ranked 14th by scout last i looked and Duke's was about 52.

When Duke landed its 10th rated class in 86, the football staff had team academic targets, limits on the numbers of kids on the low end and a higher cut off than we have today. They targeted better students who were highly rated high school players, where ever they found them, and yielded an impressive class.

Cut has good contacts in the Carolinas and this has helped, but we lost quite a few kids who met Duke's now lowered minimums but who opted for better bcs programs (Watson - top 10 tight end who went to NC State; Marry - top 30 linebacker who picked Ole Miss). Many of Stanford's excellent student, top rated commits were not even contacted by Duke. Tyree Watkins, also offered by Stanford, out of Camden NJ, fell into our lap, a legit 1100 plus SAT student with high major offers, such as Penn State. He picked up the phone and called us. Land a team full of Tyree Watkins, with high major program offers and, we have a chance to repeat the success of the 1986, we will have a better program and the admin. is happier that our Football team is involved is serious academic pursuit. We will need to look nationally to find them.

This is how we landed Sean Renfree. He was an excellent student with many better bcs offers.

You point out that local kids are good for attendance. Another point is that North Carolina's growing population, growing number of private school football programs which stress academics, will yield more players for Duke. I agree there. However, I would point out that national recruiting efforts worked even recently. Roof's recruiting approach was more national than Cut's and the results were not bad. His 05 class was ranked 33 by scout and his 06 class was ranked 36 as i recall.

Many will be surprised to see another Sean Renfree picks Duke over say Penn State, Notre Dame, Ohio State. When asked why, such a recruit might respond, "I am in the to 3% of my high school class and am interested in attending a 3-2 program with Duke's Fuqua school. Yes, I know my local fans will be disappointed I wont be attending Penn State. I also liked the mild winters at Duke. Stanford was too far. Duke is only a 7 hour drive."

One of the fundamental problems with Duke Football is the state of the stadium - high schoolish, basic even when it was built 80 years ago. Dig out the track, bring seats to the field. It will signal that Duke Football is here to stay, and, imo, get us to a (physical plant) point where we can sustain a nationally-ranked program.