PDA

View Full Version : National Anthem... nice.

michaelking
02-12-2009, 02:10 AM
That was really nice. Who in the world thought of that?

DukeUsul
02-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Can you elaborate for those of us not at the game?

nyr484
02-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Bump.

shotrocksplitter
02-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Miss North Carolina sang it. It is pretty clear that her talent was 'singing' though Simon Cowell may have disagreed.

michaelking
02-13-2009, 03:42 PM
I think it would have been great if she started a GTHC chant after singing it though. She might have had her crown taken away, but it would have been worth it!

shotrocksplitter
02-13-2009, 07:03 PM
I think it would have been great if she started a GTHC chant after singing it though. She might have had her crown taken away, but it would have been worth it!

Being a resident of NC, she is probably a Tar Holes fan.

DukeDevilDeb
02-13-2009, 07:59 PM
That was really nice. Who in the world thought of that?

Do you mean that it was nice to have Miss North Carolina USA sing the national anthem? Or do you mean that her rendition was nice?

After 30, I lost count of how many notes she blew! :p I like it when people sing it "the old fashioned way"--and she did--but it helps to stay on key!

OZZIE4DUKE
02-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Do you mean that it was nice to have Miss North Carolina USA sing the national anthem? Or do you mean that her rendition was nice?

After 30, I lost count of how many notes she blew! :p I like it when people sing it "the old fashioned way"--and she did--but it helps to stay on key!
She sang in a key I have never heard before - very very high. Think Melanie's "I've got a brand new pair of roller skates, You've got a brand new key" high, for those old enough to remember that song. But I think she did a nice job and only got "pitchy" a couple of times! And she kept a nice, brisk pace.

A GTHC chant from her would have brought the house down!

DukeDevilDeb
02-13-2009, 10:29 PM
She sang in a key I have never heard before - very very high. Think Melanie's "I've got a brand new pair of roller skates, You've got a brand new key" high, for those old enough to remember that song. But I think she did a nice job and only got "pitchy" a couple of times! And she kept a nice, brisk pace.

Or imagine if she had made a big O with her arms like the kids do! Almost anything would have brought the house down at that point!

Acymetric
02-14-2009, 10:25 AM

I wondered at the time if she might not have started too high and just tried to keep going with it. If she didn't have any kind of tuning pitch before she started I could see that happening, especially if she was nervous.

michaelking
02-14-2009, 10:26 AM
I could tell that she was definitely nervous.

DU82
02-14-2009, 11:00 AM
The young lady who sang at last night's women's game against Clemson was terrific. Sang the anthem "normally", with a good tempo and hit all the notes. I thought much better than Miss NC-USA. (I'll give her the benefit of doubt, since I agree, she sounded nervous.)

Since the awful version sang by the lady in January (the one who actually was selling a CD of her version outside Cameron after the game) most of the singers/groups have been good. Perhaps that one person put things over the top, and the powers-that-be who select the performers finally got things in order.

GP3NY
02-14-2009, 08:44 PM
Nothing beats the girl that did it at last years game vs carolina at duke... that girl was freaking awesome!!!!

DukeCO2009
02-15-2009, 01:12 AM
Or imagine if she had made a big O with her arms like the kids do! Almost anything would have brought the house down at that point!

Count me in as one of the "kids" who has never and will never do the "O" thing. Very disrespectful, IMO. Eyes on the flag, hand over your heart. Take two minutes both to reflect upon how lucky you are to live in the United States and to pay your respects to those who have died protecting the flag that stands before you. Two minutes. That's not asking much. Just my two cents.

Back on topic--Miss NC was great. We need more people who sing the Anthem is it was written insteading of getting idiots who simply try to show off their vocal "talents."

Lavabe
02-15-2009, 05:16 AM
She sang in a key I have never heard before - very very high. Think Melanie's "I've got a brand new pair of roller skates, You've got a brand new key" high, for those old enough to remember that song.

If we're that old, how about Minnie Ripperton high?:D

mbd1mbd1
02-15-2009, 09:43 AM
When did Frances Redding stop singing the anthem? I can remember the various a capella groups occasionally doing it, but usually it was Frances.

moonpie23
02-15-2009, 09:55 AM
i finally figured out what happened down at clemson. Doug Jones, of the group, "Cravin' Melon" sang the anthem......

we have been at odds over clemson/duke for years......that's his bad mojo that cost us that game...

:( Grrrr...

Smitty1911
02-15-2009, 01:28 PM
I thought the singer at the Georgetown game was one of the best I've ever heard at Cameron. Worked the "O" into the performance which kind of minimized the distaste I feel for it and what a voice! I'm sure some of the purists found it too soulful.

captmojo
02-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Is this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2hNbaEtwqQ&feature=related

Straight, honest, with little to no embellishment, or the singer trying to make him/herself seem more important than the song itself.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-15-2009, 02:48 PM

Straight, honest, with little to no embellishment, or the singer trying to make him/herself seem more important than the song itself.
That was truly beautifule. He, and they, can sing in Cameron anytime they'd like to!

OZZIE4DUKE
02-15-2009, 02:51 PM
When did Frances Redding stop singing the anthem?
Frances stopped "singing" it many years ago, but she only stopped performing in Cameron on a regular basis about 3 or 4 years ago, although I think she did it once last year if I recall correctly. She got a big ovation both before and after. As much as she was an institution in Cameron, it was time for her to retire, no offense to her intended.

michaelking
02-15-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm curious if anyone has a video (possibly on youtube) of Miss NC singing... if so, shoot it to the board!

devildan44
02-24-2009, 12:21 AM
My cousin just told me about this post... I'm the guy who arranged the singer for the Carolina game. She's a great girl & was thrilled to sing for you guys. Knowing she had never been to a game in Cameron, she did exceptionally well, IMO. Thanks for all of the positive comments regarding her traditional version of the song. I'll be sure to let her know of the bulletin board --- she might like to shout out herself!

Also, if there is a video copy of the song, let me know (she's been wanting a copy of it). Thanks!

devildeac
02-24-2009, 09:35 AM
Speak of the Devil sounded excellent with their renditon of the National Anthem Sunday night.

zingit
02-24-2009, 12:33 PM
Speak of the Devil sounded excellent with their renditon of the National Anthem Sunday night.

Meh. Sure, they have nice voices, but I didn't like their rendition. I know this has been discussed on this board a lot, so I hesitate to bring it up again . . . but I hate it when the group singing the anthem (often campus a capella groups) play up the harmony so much that they literally change the tune of the song. Just sing the national anthem straight! That'd be my preference, anyhow.

jjasper0729
02-24-2009, 12:36 PM
best one i've ever heard in CIS (well two really) were the Durham Police chorale (a four member group) and when the Duke Chorale sang it a few times. The Durham Police group hasn't been there in a while.

Outside of that, the other best I've heard at Duke was when the Marine band played it before a football game a couple of seasons ago.

snowdenscold
02-24-2009, 02:21 PM
I was never a fan of the capella groups for reasons mentioned above (way too much harmony taking over).

The best I heard in Cameron was the Duke Chorale about five or six years ago.

I hate when people sing it super slow and add all sorts of fancy stuff. It's not a funeral dirge - it was originally an english drinking song, geez.

BigTedder
02-24-2009, 08:44 PM

I think this one is great....one of the best Ive heard in years....all the reviews trash them....but, people today, like you say, try to make it about them....instead of the song.

captmojo
02-24-2009, 08:48 PM
....but, people today, like you say, try to make it about them....instead of the song.

Glad to see you enjoyed it. It's not meant to be some sort of showcase for talent and range ability, imo.

If you should happen to like all the embellishment attributes, I recommend a version I've heard by gospel singer, Sandi Patti.