PDA

View Full Version : Look up "traveling" on Wikipedia:)

Lord Ash
02-11-2009, 03:48 PM
The Professor pointed this out earlier in a thread that got locked and I am afraid it may have been missed by many...

But as you prepare for the UNC game tonight, PLEASE be sure to stop by Wikipedia and check out the entry for the basketball rules on "traveling."

:D

Grounded
02-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Priceless. That is very, very funny! :)

TheBrianZoubekExperience
02-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Needs a picture of T or at least a link to the Knight Watch video.

Fish80
02-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Priceless!

The North Carolina Tar Heel's very own Tyler Hansbrough's best known basketball move is Traveling.

DukieInKansas
02-11-2009, 04:00 PM
The Professor pointed this out earlier in a thread that got locked and I am afraid it may have been missed by many...

But as you prepare for the UNC game tonight, PLEASE be sure to stop by Wikipedia and check out the entry for the basketball rules on "traveling."

Thanks for pointing this out. Here is a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveling_(basketball)

I wonder how long it will stay up?

jjasper0729
02-11-2009, 04:08 PM
already been "corrected" but if you go into the history, you can compare the current version with the last one which has it

nyr484
02-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Gone already.... don't worry, I fixed it. Back now.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-11-2009, 04:18 PM
3. On one foot, the player may jump off that foot and simultane-
ously land on both; neither foot can be the pivot foot.
b. When one foot is on the playing court:
1. That foot shall be the pivot foot when the other foot touches in a
step;
2. The player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on
both; neither foot can then be the pivot foot.

I have always wondered why the "jump stop" wasn't traveling. Now I know, it really is legal!

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-11-2009, 04:38 PM
A friend has now linked it on his blog. Well done!

http://huggingharoldreynolds.blogspot.com/2009/02/hansbrough-haters-mock-tar-heels.html

snowdenscold
02-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Regardless of what you think of TH - why are we trying to erode the integrity of Wikipedia? Doesn't seem worth it just to make a joke...

blueprofessor
02-11-2009, 05:06 PM

One thing we can all agree with is that TH travels.
It may bring comic relief to consider the Wikipedia entry regarding traveling as follows:

Traveling (basketball)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In basketball, traveling is a violation of the rules that occurs when a player holding the ball illegally moves one or both of his feet. Most commonly, a player travels by illegally moving his pivot foot or taking too many steps without dribbling the ball.

Traveling is sometimes also called "walking" or "steps." The North Carolina Tar Heel's very own :D Tyler Hansbrough's :D best known basketball move is Traveling. The basic rules regarding traveling are fairly similar across the major leagues of basketball, but slight differences exist.

While Wikipedia is often an erroneous source ,in this case it is the authority on this topic!

Best regards to all Devil fans. Go,Duke!

Blueprofessor

DukeCO2009
02-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Regardless of what you think of TH - why are we trying to erode the integrity of Wikipedia? Doesn't seem worth it just to make a joke...

All work and no play makes snowdenscold a dull boy.

No one's destroying the integrity of Wikipedia. The Hansblahblahblah comment doesn't distort any of the page's factual information, and is clearly meant in good fun.

CameronBornAndBred
02-11-2009, 05:32 PM
That is awesome. I found my new signature, thanks Ash!

Lord Ash
02-11-2009, 05:46 PM
That is awesome. I found my new signature, thanks Ash!

Hey it wasn't me, but Blueprofessor who pointed it out! I just noticed it got a bit lost in a more "serious" thread and couldn't just let it go!:)

bjornolf
02-11-2009, 05:54 PM
I have two actual rules questions that don't seem to be answered here or in the rules. I wanted to ask this in the other thread, but it's closed:

1. If you jump for the ball off-balance and land flat on your back or stomach (similar to diving horizontally but jumping up instead of forward), is that traveling since you never had a foot on the ground?

2. If you fall but manage to keep your pivot foot PERFECTLY still, is it still a travel? Why?

Thanks, the rules don't seem to address these instances.

feldspar
02-11-2009, 06:00 PM
I wanted to ask this in the other thread, but it's closed:

C'mon, you gotta but some heart into it. Have fun with it.

More like: That thread is now CLOSED, sucka. :D

dukemath
02-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Check out examples of traveling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveling_(basketball)

cato
02-11-2009, 06:42 PM
If you jump for the ball off-balance and land flat on your back or stomach (similar to diving horizontally but jumping up instead of forward), is that traveling since you never had a foot on the ground?

That sounds quite painful.

Lord Ash
02-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Examples

* Any action where the pivot foot is lifted and returned to the floor, or dragged along the floor.
* Lifting the pivot foot before starting a dribble.
* Taking multiple steps or shuffling the feet before starting a dribble.
* While holding the ball, jumping and returning to the floor without releasing the ball.
* Securing the ball while on the floor and attempting to roll over or stand up.
* Falling to the floor while holding the ball, even if it was caught while airborne (NCAA and NFHS only)
* North Carolina's Tyler Hansbrough every time he touches the ball

CameronBornAndBred
02-11-2009, 08:01 PM
They "corrected" the wiki link.
But I got a screenshot.

Wheat/"/"/"
02-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Here's the best example of traveling I've seen. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7DjZehIGvs)
:)

jipops
02-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Here's the best example of traveling I've seen. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7DjZehIGvs)

I've watched that clip 20 times and I just don't see it, sorry.

Wait, let me take off these dark blue glasses.

jipops
02-11-2009, 08:39 PM

Yet, imagine getting away with that on a regular basis... with a pale blue uniform.