PDA

View Full Version : Raycom

DBFAN
02-11-2009, 02:08 PM
I just wanted to say that I hate having to watch this game on the local channel with Raycom/Jefferson Pilot calling it. I for one would love to watch it on ESPN, but unfortunately it gets blacked out. Anyone else feel the same way?

calltheobvious
02-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Um, no. I don't even need to know the composition of the Raycom broadcast team to know that I would prefer them to Vitale/Patrick or Vitale/Shulman.

gadzooks
02-11-2009, 02:26 PM
I don't mind the broadcasters (and as calltheobvious points out, they're often superior to the ESPN guys), it's when the listings show the game on both the local channel and ESPN, but the TiVo only records ESPN, which is of course not showing the game. We've gotten caught by that one several times, since we often go out to watch the game, or don't start watching until about a half hour in so we can skip commercials. YARRR. I remembered to double-check that one this year, fortunately.

jacone21
02-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Um, no. I don't even need to know the composition of the Raycom broadcast team to know that I would prefer them to Vitale/Patrick or Vitale/Shulman.

Not to mention the fact that you won't have to see...

<bottomline> Alex Rodriguez woke up at 9:30 today. Had breakfast of waffles and bacon and a side of buttered raisin toast. Obama: "A-Rod really likes waffles, but it's disappointing he doesn't like pancakes." </bottomline>

scrolling by every 30 seconds for the whole night.

DBFAN
02-11-2009, 02:34 PM

<bottomline> Alex Rodriguez woke up at 9:30 today. Had breakfast of waffles and bacon and a side of buttered raisin toast. Obama: "A-Rod really likes waffles, but it's disappointing he doesn't like pancakes." </bottomline>

That is true, but I always find the Raycom guys to be pro Carolina, so while Dickie V may be loud, I would rather hear someone who loves Duke rather than someone who loves Carowhina

Edouble
02-11-2009, 02:37 PM
That is true, but I always find the Raycom guys to be pro Carolina, so while Dickie V may be loud, I would rather hear someone who loves Duke rather than someone who loves Carowhina

I think I understand your point, but Dick Vitale loves Carolina.

4decadedukie
02-11-2009, 02:37 PM
I just wanted to say that I hate having to watch this game on the local channel with Raycom/Jefferson Pilot calling it. I for one would love to watch it on ESPN, but unfortunately it gets blacked out. Anyone else feel the same way?

Wholeheartedly agree.

Duvall
02-11-2009, 02:38 PM

Pretty sure you don't have to worry about that (http://www.goduke.com/pdf5/376874.pdf?ATCLID=3667243&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200).

A warning, though - if North Carolina plays well, this may lead the announcers to say nice things about the Tar Heels.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-11-2009, 02:58 PM
I think that Raycom viewers will have Mike Gminski as one of their announcers for the game! :D Can't get better than that! :D:D

alteran
02-11-2009, 03:01 PM

Amen.

SushiChef
02-11-2009, 03:01 PM

I agree mainly because the feed is so much nicer. For example, last Carolina-Duke game I watched on Raycom/Jefferson, the sound was out for about 10 minutes in the first half. Also, if you watch the game in HD, there's a noticeable difference in video quality.

DBFAN
02-11-2009, 03:03 PM
If we get the G man that wont be so bad.

DBFAN
02-11-2009, 03:04 PM
I remember the sound going out on that one game, and if I recall correctly it went out of HD for awhile too.

Hancock 4 Duke
02-11-2009, 03:05 PM
That shouldn't happen. They have the biggest rivalry in the country, and it should be on the best cover ing channel, which is ESPN IMO.

pfrduke
02-11-2009, 03:19 PM
I think that Raycom viewers will have Mike Gminski as one of their announcers for the game! :D Can't get better than that! :D:D

I, for one, will be enjoying the 3-4 shots of Heather Cox during the game.

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-11-2009, 03:34 PM
I agree mainly because the feed is so much nicer. For example, last Carolina-Duke game I watched on Raycom/Jefferson, the sound was out for about 10 minutes in the first half. Also, if you watch the game in HD, there's a noticeable difference in video quality.

But it was only the announcers' mics that were off (Packer called the game IIRC). We had the live game sounds. It was the best setup one could ask for.

ESPN (w/o Vitale) > Raycom > ESPN (w/ Vitale) > FoxSports

Not sure where CBS falls... I find their quality to be good

arnie
02-11-2009, 03:49 PM
I'd rather it be telecast by ESPN in the Triangle for one simple reason. It's windy today and if we have a threat of a sign blowing over, thunderstorm or tornado watch in the southeast, WRAL and Greg Fishel will interrupt or cancel the broadcast to show 30 minutes + of Doppler radar.

I can't wait.

DukeFanInTerpLand
02-11-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm happy to have Raycom b/c ESPN is showing a scintillating Big East battle at 7. Guaranteed that game lasts until the 2nd TV timeout of our game.

SushiChef
02-11-2009, 04:00 PM
But it was only the announcers' mics that were off (Packer called the game IIRC). We had the live game sounds. It was the best setup one could ask for.

ESPN (w/o Vitale) > Raycom > ESPN (w/ Vitale) > FoxSports

Not sure where CBS falls... I find their quality to be good

Careful with your math. I'd say:

ESPN(w/o Vitale or Elmore) > Raycom > ESPN(w/ Vitale or Elmore) > FoxSports

Crossing my fingers for no tornado warnings...

pfrduke
02-11-2009, 04:21 PM
I'd rather it be telecast by ESPN in the Triangle for one simple reason. It's windy today and if we have a threat of a sign blowing over, thunderstorm or tornado watch in the southeast, WRAL and Greg Fishel will interrupt or cancel the broadcast to show 30 minutes + of Doppler radar.

I can't wait.

I think WRAL knows better than to interrupt a Duke-UNC game for weather updates.

Cell-R
02-11-2009, 05:12 PM
I think WRAL knows better than to interrupt a Duke-UNC game for weather updates.

1 John Scheyer lighting UNC up vs. 2 News that a category 5 is tornado bearing down on my house

I'd have to go with #1

alteran
02-11-2009, 05:22 PM

Sadly, this is 100% entirely not the case.

I very clearly remember complaining to WRAL station manager for 40 minutes after they covered the screen with their stupid warning for more than half a game. The bottom right was their Doppler 5000 dumb-{wanker, etc.} BLINKING map, the bottom left was a HUGE WRAL logo, and between them was a bright red scrawl which had to go real slow because it was massively constrained by the stupid graphics, telling us that there were-- wait for it-- THUNDERSTORMS. IN NORTH CAROLINA! IN MARCH! QUELLE HORREUR!

Senator, I would like to change my testimony. Please give me (shudder) Dickie V and whichever goofball goes with him.

Chard
02-11-2009, 06:58 PM

Amen! Or a 30 second update on stuff I don't care about DURING THE GAME ACTION! ARRRGGGGHHHHH

Cameron
02-11-2009, 06:58 PM
As Paulus walks to the line, for two free throws and the game, with under ten seconds to play..

"My friends, it's such a shame that Alex Rodriguez chose to turn his back to the game. [Best Jackie Chiles impersonation] It's disgraceful, disenchanting, and damaging to the frame work of the game. I will not, Mike Patrick, go out quiet on the issue. Baseball needs to clear up all doubt, all suspicion, and get back to the purity we had when Joltin' Joe [worst Jersey shore impersonation possible] Daaamaaggiiooo was swinging for the fences at Yankee Stadium. Come on, Mike Patrick, come on, Dan Schulmannnn, let's clean up the game, let's get all the names."

The guy is unbearable during mid-game, just unbearable. He does bring the enthusiasm for this matchup, though. I'm not sure how Duke-UNC on ESPN would be without him.

Look at the positives, though, as least this year there won't be any Billy Packer on the CBS edition in Chapel Hill. My guess would be Nantz and Kellogg.

calltheobvious
02-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Sadly, this is 100% entirely not the case.

I very clearly remember complaining to WRAL station manager for 40 minutes after they covered the screen with their stupid warning for more than half a game. The bottom right was their Doppler 5000 dumb-{wanker, etc.} BLINKING map, the bottom left was a HUGE WRAL logo, and between them was a bright red scrawl which had to go real slow because it was massively constrained by the stupid graphics, telling us that there were-- wait for it-- THUNDERSTORMS. IN NORTH CAROLINA! IN MARCH! QUELLE HORREUR!

Senator, I would like to change my testimony. Please give me (shudder) Dickie V and whichever goofball goes with him.

I'm not sure it's the game you're thinking of, but I distinctly remember this very thing happening during Duke's 1998 Sweet 16 game against Syracuse. I ended up tossing the tape because it was so chopped up by break-in weather reports and huge in-game, on-screen maps.

pfrduke
02-11-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm not sure it's the game you're thinking of, but I distinctly remember this very thing happening during Duke's 1998 Sweet 16 game against Syracuse. I ended up tossing the tape because it was so chopped up by break-in weather reports and huge in-game, on-screen maps.

I have no doubt WRAL would have no qualms breaking up a Duke game (particularly a non-conference Duke game). I think the producers of a North Carolina network station would feel quite differently about breaking up a Duke-UNC game. At the very least, they'd know they were setting themselves up for a long night of angry calls from Tar Heels (and Devils, though those calls would likely be more rational ;)) across the Triangle.

mgtr
02-11-2009, 07:34 PM
As a general rule, I would say that Raycom is better than no TV at all, but recently I wonder. The last couple of games in Raycom HD have shown the cameramen at their worst! They can't seem to focus the camera, or keep it in focus. That is particularly annoying in HD.

Hancock 4 Duke
02-11-2009, 10:05 PM

Actually, yes. When there is a game on ESPN and our local raycom channel, ESPN is always blacked out. Why can't they just let us watch the game?

JBDuke
02-12-2009, 12:51 AM
Actually, yes. When there is a game on ESPN and our local raycom channel, ESPN is always blacked out. Why can't they just let us watch the game?

You can watch it - on the local RAYCOM affiliate. RAYCOM pays good money for exclusive rights to that Duke/Carolina game for its affiliates. ESPN gets to broadcast it to the rest of the world.

mgtr
02-12-2009, 07:35 AM
Just to be fair, I thought that Raycom did a better job tonight than they have in the recent past. There were far few instances of unfocussed cameras.

DukeUsul
02-12-2009, 09:33 AM
I was very happy with Raycom and G-man. Did the rest of the world miss the beginning of the game on ESPN? Did the UConnvicts game go over?