PDA

View Full Version : I work with a Tar Heel

InaudibleWords
02-11-2009, 10:02 AM
It's true. My coworker and officemate went to South Carolina for undergrad (made fun of me for the Clemson loss even though he hates them) and then went to UNC for his PhD. As has been my tradition for game days over the last year, I am wearing a Duke Basketball shirt, I have my Duke Jersey hanging on my chair and have printed out several pictures to illuminate the superiority of Duke to Carolina. (What has UNC done for the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA lately?!?) Last year, I dressed up in full Cameron Crazie costume.

I'm lucky in that we get along quite well and he respects Duke and Coach K, but as I sit here waiting to taunt him the second he gets to work, it made me think... who else out there works with UNC fans (I know there have to be a bunch) and what kind of traditions do you have? Good ole fashioned trash talking? Bets? (Gotta love Dahntay Jones!) Just make sure you're reppin' the team today!

9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F 9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F 9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F

DukePA
02-11-2009, 10:58 AM
I work with a few tarholes and . . . I live with one. Sigh. I keep it classy. I never taunt, gloat or rub it in when we win. Fortunately, they don't either when the unthinkable occurs.

I hate the hell out of carolina and just don't understand how my guy and my coworkers worship the slime blue mutton butts : )

GTHC, GTH!!!!

davekay1971
02-11-2009, 11:31 AM
I work with several of 'em. My clinic nurse is a huge Tarhole fan. Very nice lady, good at her job, but she's currently wearing Carolina blue scrubs and UNC earrings. She and her husband babysat for my wife and I one night - as we dropped our little future NCSU/Duke fan off with them, they happily received her...both of them wearing Carolina sweatshirts. An obvious attempt to draw my innocent baby to the dark side. Needless to say, aggressive reprogramming ensued once we got Chistina back to our house!

allenmurray
02-11-2009, 11:36 AM
I don't just work with UNC fans, I work for/at UNC. Fortunately, my office is off-campus and most of my co-workers are not rabid basketball fans.

CathyCA
02-11-2009, 11:37 AM
I work with a few, and I am so happy that I do!

No, really. After spending 10 seasons out in California where hardly anyone cared about Duke Basketball, much less the ACC, it is fun to be back in a place where people live and breathe basketball, understand the rivalry, and understand the game of collegiate basketball.

My coworkers are a bit misguided in their love for all things faded blue, but I like them in spite of that.

Everyone is being very quiet about the game around here today. . .

slower
02-11-2009, 11:58 AM
I don't just work with UNC fans, I work for/at UNC. Fortunately, my office is off-campus and most of my co-workers are not rabid basketball fans.

Hey, I work at UNC Hospital. I'm just keeping a low profile, waiting for the right moment, :)

jv001
02-11-2009, 01:05 PM
I work with several of 'em. My clinic nurse is a huge Tarhole fan. Very nice lady, good at her job, but she's currently wearing Carolina blue scrubs and UNC earrings. She and her husband babysat for my wife and I one night - as we dropped our little future NCSU/Duke fan off with them, they happily received her...both of them wearing Carolina sweatshirts. An obvious attempt to draw my innocent baby to the dark side. Needless to say, aggressive reprogramming ensued once we got Chistina back to our house!

Dave, carolina sweatshirts..That's close to child abuse. All kidding aside most of my friends at church are unc fans. But to their displeasure my Preacher is a Duke fan. So Go Duke!

jipops
02-11-2009, 01:40 PM
I mean come on, are there any of us out there who aren't surrounded by these people? They're everywhere. There are more Heels fans and alumni in the state of NC than there are Duke fans in the world, by a very large margin. It's one of the bandwagons I wisely chose not to jump on as a child growing up in NC.

Matches
02-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Do all you people work at Wal-Mart? I can believe a lot of freaky things, but Tar Heels with good jobs just isn't one of them.

Onlyduke
02-11-2009, 04:20 PM
I was in Fredericksburg, VA a few weekends ago. My son, his wife and I went to Denny's for breakfast one morning. My son wore his Duke sweatshirt. A huge man with a bluetooth in his ear (who looked like he could be playing football in the NFL) approached our table. He paced back and forth next to our table and told us how much he HATED Duke and how he felt when he saw my son walk into the restaurant in his Duke sweatshirt. I mean .... he went on and on and I can't even remember how many times he said he HATED Duke. I assured him we felt the same way about Carolina. You know, what I can't get over is the fact that he never cracked a smile. He looked so odious.

Huh?
02-11-2009, 04:21 PM
I've got a couple of tarhole fans here with me at work, they are pretty good about not saying anything after the game, but boy oh boy do they want to put some bets down before. Needless to say I have Duke at +4 for a lunch on Friday. GO DEVILS!

Native
02-11-2009, 04:34 PM
In my house: 3 Carolina fans, and one Duke fan. Guess who the youngest is as well?

LGD LGD LGD

Devilsfan
02-11-2009, 04:34 PM
I say "let them eat cake!"

CathyCA
02-11-2009, 04:37 PM
I was in Fredericksburg, VA a few weekends ago. My son, his wife and I went to Denny's for breakfast one morning. My son wore his Duke sweatshirt. A huge man with a bluetooth in his ear (who looked like he could be playing football in the NFL) approached our table. He paced back and forth next to our table and told us how much he HATED Duke and how he felt when he saw my son walk into the restaurant in his Duke sweatshirt. I mean .... he went on and on and I can't even remember how many times he said he HATED Duke. I assured him we felt the same way about Carolina. You know, what I can't get over is the fact that he never cracked a smile. He looked so odious.

When he took your order, did he get it right?

Huh?
02-11-2009, 11:11 PM
When he took your order, did he get it right?

You think he was from Greenville?

SharkD
02-11-2009, 11:30 PM
I'm married to a Tar Heel (UNC Nursing alum/current Duke nurse/her father was tenured Duke faculty). She's been surprisingly gentle. (Though it could be that's she's just exhausted by our two-week-old.)

pamtar
02-11-2009, 11:40 PM

Seriously. Greenville tarhell fans are the worst. You cant really blame em though - I don't think ECU has a team do they?

alteran
02-12-2009, 12:44 AM

Still, the skin crawls. You have our sympathies. I say that as someone who has faced the Great Satan far closer (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/member.php?u=424) than anyone should.

Fortunately, in my current job I generally interact with engineers. UNC grads aren't much for the science thing-- I mostly face State grads.

Native
02-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Jeez, my second period teacher is now showing the highlights of the game vs. the Holes on ESPN 360 in the middle of class.

Today sucks.

DukePA
02-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Jeez, my second period teacher is now showing the highlights of the game vs. the Holes on ESPN 360 in the middle of class.

Today sucks.

That's brutal. I am so sorry you have to put up with that crap. How inappropriate for a teacher to pull such a stunt. Don't give in to the taunting. Hold your head high and be proud to be a Blue Devil.

GTHC!!

DevilCastDownfromDurham
02-12-2009, 10:44 AM

Today sucks.

I've so been there. A lot. When some people argue that it's good when UNC is strong I suspect those people spent no more than four years in The Old North State.

I was actually stuck on UNC's campus last night and got to hear the screams and watch the celebration first hand. I was really glad that the rivalry is doing so well. :rolleyes:

ironduke2009
02-12-2009, 10:57 AM
I work with a bunch of Tarheels as well... It has been a rough day at work with them poking a bit of fun with their win last night. I was lucky enough to go to the game and catch it so I lost my voice and have told them I am too tired today for rebuttals. We'll have to see what happens March 8th, I plan on heading to the Dean Dome to crash the party!! :)

Bostondevil
02-12-2009, 12:21 PM

Today sucks.

Raise your hand I say, "Thanks teach, I can see that Duke didn't really have an answer for Lawson, but look how well they guarded Hansborough. If Duke can guard him that well, what does that say about his chances of holding his own in the NBA next year?"

Onlyduke
02-12-2009, 12:27 PM

He was from Raleigh, NC.

Lid
02-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Seriously. Greenville tarhell fans are the worst. You cant really blame em though - I don't think ECU has a team do they?
I grew up as a Duke fan in Greenville. Trust me, if I made it through that, you can be assured that my allegiance is unshakable.

CameronBlue
02-12-2009, 01:33 PM
If you work with a Tar Heel, your first emotion after one of these losses should be pity, not contempt or dread or "how am I going to make it through the day without hanging myself in my cubicle" or anything like that.

See it should occur to you that UNC sucks. I mean they really, literally suck, the sort of rare trait that be can compared to the seminal events on the Earth's geological time-line...like point A would be the accretion of rocky masses and dust to form the proto-Earth and point B, would be, well okay UNC Sucks. Everything in between is a flat line. Do you now have an appreciation of the scale on which UNC sucks?

Like I said, these losses are always easier to deal with when you keep things in perspective. You're welcome.

God, UNC sucks...:mad:

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-12-2009, 03:52 PM

Today sucks.

Do you have P. E. second period?

Native
02-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Do you have P. E. second period?

Nah, Sports & Entertainment Marketing. Class is chock full o' holes.

Problem for him is, he really wants me to do this club called DECA (marketing competitions). My brother has won multiple awards in it, and I have a higher GPA than him.

Teacher can kiss that goodbye.

LGD!