throatybeard
02-11-2009, 12:21 AM
UNC 69%
Duke 31%

All 50 states for UNC

And that's at home.

geraldsneighbor
02-11-2009, 12:21 AM
I do believe the same was true for last year in Chapel Hill. That worked out okay.

devildownunder
02-11-2009, 12:49 AM
I do believe the same was true for last year in Chapel Hill. That worked out okay.

well, honestly, if you weren't a fan of either team and you saw us against clemson last week, would you pick us? Fortunately, every conference game seems to repaint the ACC picture this year, so there is hope that we'll shock the world (literally, i guess).

It feels weird being the underdog. i don't like it. Let's get back to winning 34 games and year and having everyone perceive us as the deadly, unstoppable, evil empire again. That was more fun!:D

geraldsneighbor
02-11-2009, 12:52 AM
well, honestly, if you weren't a fan of either team and you saw us against clemson last week, would you pick us? Fortunately, every conference game seems to repaint the ACC picture this year, so there is hope that we'll shock the world (literally, i guess).

It feels weird being the underdog. i don't like it. Let's get back to winning 34 games and year and having everyone perceive us as the deadly, unstoppable, evil empire again. That was more fun!:D

Those days are coming my friend. I am confident of that. This current group has great things looming ahead. Hopefully ahead starts at around 9:07 ET tonight.

Scorp4me
02-11-2009, 01:20 AM
Isn't Carolina supposed to be the best team ever and go undefeated and all that? Not sure why anyone is surprised that most feel Carolina will win. Wouldn't it be a major choke if they were to somehow lose to Duke? :p

mgtr
02-11-2009, 06:47 AM
The morning line in Vegas has UNC by 2 with over under at 155. Closer than I thought it would be.

RainingThrees
02-11-2009, 07:38 AM
I like how if you ask most Duke haters why they hate Duke they'll say something like "they get all the calls!" Or "How can't you hate them."

throatybeard
02-11-2009, 08:36 AM
The morning line in Vegas has UNC by 2 with over under at 155. Closer than I thought it would be.

This is interesting. Sagarin has us above UNC in overall rating and in ELO CHESS, and we're at home. He's got UNC by .43 in predictor. So this would add up to something like Duke by 3.

http://www.kiva.net/~jsagarin/sports/cbsend.htm

Vegas UNC by 2 at Cameron would end up being something like 9 at Chapel Hill.

I guess I was just surprised at the spread in the poll, not that people thought UNC would win.

InaudibleWords
02-11-2009, 09:04 AM

I say, bring on the underdog status! We have thrived when we were not expected to win. If there's one thing the past few years have shown me (beyond technicalities like "having big men on your team is helpful" and "learning defense is a step in the positive direction") it's that Duke is still a team that loves to come in and play UP their game. With the pressure of a number 1 ranking and all the fluff that accompanies it, the Devils seem to be slightly less... "gutsy." But when the Carolina game comes, all bets are off and we throw our hearts on that floor!!

Ahem, that being said... I would COMPLETELY support winning 34 games. :D So I guess the caveat is that I'm comfortable with this supposed "underdog" status every once in a while. Just enough to keep us hungry.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-11-2009, 09:05 AM

This is interesting. Sagarin has us above UNC in overall rating and in ELO CHESS, and we're at home. He's got UNC by .43 in predictor. So this would add up to something like Duke by 3.

http://www.kiva.net/~jsagarin/sports/cbsend.htm (http://www.kiva.net/%7Ejsagarin/sports/cbsend.htm)

Vegas UNC by 2 at Cameron would end up being something like 9 at Chapel Hill.

I guess I was just surprised at the spread in the poll, not that people thought UNC would win.
The Raleigh N&O has the line as Duke by 2. I think we'll beat the spread, but I know we'll win the game! :cool::D:D:D

devildeac
02-11-2009, 09:44 AM
The Raleigh N&O has the line as Duke by 2. I think we'll beat the spread, but I know we'll win the game! :cool::D:D

The n&o has 2 of their writers with a pre-game analysis and predictions. One picks the good guys by 2 and the other semi-retired, misinformed soul (:rolleyes:) chooses the evil empire by 5. (removed one grin from Ozzie so I could slide mine in, too)

davekay1971
02-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Honestly, listening to the people and radio around Charlotte, I thought the game had already been played and we'd lost by 30. It reminds me of the early season crowing by the Tarhole crowd, when they were already moving the banners in the Wine 'N Cheese Center to make room for the one destined for them this year. That quieted down some after the BC/Wake games. But after Carolina allowed 90+ to Maryland and solidly beat mighty UVa, the Tarhole fair-weather faithful are back out sporting their pastel blue and strutting like peacocks.

Let 'em count us out. It'll be all the sweeter when we win.

Fish80
02-11-2009, 10:02 AM
Would somebody post a link? I don't see the poll on ESPN. The poll I see is UConn v Syracuse.