PDA

View Full Version : Recruits at the Game?

BlueintheFace
02-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Does anybody know whether there will be any signed or unsigned recruits at the game?

DevilCastDownfromDurham
02-10-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm sure we'll have at least the local folks (Kelly, Plumlee, maybe Wall) and I know we often attract some celebrities (the Manning Bros last season, etc.) I think it would be great if we could get some of the NBA Olympians to show up as well. I'd love to have John Wall watching as LeBron and Kobe are chatting with K after the game. :D

riksmits
02-10-2009, 07:53 PM
I'm sure we'll have at least the local folks (Kelly, Plumlee, maybe Wall) and I know we often attract some celebrities (the Manning Bros last season, etc.) I think it would be great if we could get some of the NBA Olympians to show up as well. I'd love to have John Wall watching as LeBron and Kobe are chatting with K after the game. :D

Good thought, but considering Wednesday is one of the biggest nights for NBA games, unlikely.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
02-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Good thought, but considering Wednesday is one of the biggest nights for NBA games, unlikely.

Sadly true. I just checked the schedule (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/schedule) and Miami's the only team off on Wednesday. D-Wade, your mission is clear. :)

Cell-R
02-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Sadly true. I just checked the schedule (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/schedule) and Miami's the only team off on Wednesday. D-Wade, your mission is clear. :)

I guess J.J. will be in attendance then? :)

Lord Ash
02-10-2009, 09:19 PM
I think Orlando and Miami are different? Or did JJ get traded?

I am always shocked that more recruits don't come to Carolina... in fact, I am always surprised when it takes them a while to even get to a game; that has got to be one of Duke's big selling points, no?

Wonder which celebs will make an appearance this year!?

Cell-R
02-10-2009, 09:42 PM

I am always shocked that more recruits don't come to Carolina... in fact, I am always surprised when it takes them a while to even get to a game; that has got to be one of Duke's big selling points, no?

Oh yeah... Thanks for the correction! I'm not too good with the NBA teams, although I think I should at least know who J.J. plays for!

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-10-2009, 09:49 PM

Duke - Carolina games are often like big reunions.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
02-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Yeah, if Orlando were off we could have Dwight Howard show up and talk with Josh Smith about joining the party. :D

As an aside, I remember when the big Shav recruiting battle was going on UNC had Jordan working to recruit Shav (wearing a "Shav Country" shirt, IIRC). Has there been any talk about having Olympians make a similar pitch to Duke recruits? I'm sure not every player would be comfortable with that (Chris Paul, for example) but a guy like Kobe, who's been an outspoken Duke fan for years could really make an impression.

Didn't mean to take us off-topic. Does anyone one know who will be there? Recruits? Signees? Old folks back to relive the glory days?

Edouble
02-11-2009, 01:08 AM
Has there been any talk about having Olympians make a similar pitch to Duke recruits? I'm sure not every player would be comfortable with that (Chris Paul, for example) but a guy like Kobe, who's been an outspoken Duke fan for years could really make an impression.

I like this.

Besides, Coach K is the only college coach that Kobe, LeBron and Howard ever had (as well as Boozer, of course).

slower
02-11-2009, 06:05 AM
Yeah, if Orlando were off we could have Dwight Howard show up and talk with Josh Smith about joining the party. :D

I thought Dwight Howard wanted to go to Carolina? Maybe not the best person to sway Josh Smith.

S.C.Dukefan
02-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Does anyone have any news on recruits at tonights game , the Devils Den on scout .com has a post on a recruiting surprise, does any one have the inside scoop?

shadowfax336
02-11-2009, 04:28 PM
My friend saw Harrison Barnes walking around campus this afternoon with Nate James and Wojo

FireOgilvie
02-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Harrison Barnes would be a great fit for us. We'd better win!

jimsumner
02-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Don't these kids have school tomorrow? :)

Atldukie79
02-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Harrison Barnes was apparently flanked by parents, Wojo,Carrawell,Nate James and Chris Collins....Sounds like a persuasive group!

Lord Ash
02-11-2009, 07:13 PM
I like this.

Besides, Coach K is the only college coach that Kobe, LeBron and Howard ever had (as well as Boozer, of course).

Love that point:)

DevilWolf
02-11-2009, 08:06 PM
I like this.

Same with Deron Williams and Chris Bosh :)

SushiChef
02-11-2009, 08:17 PM
I read somewhere that Wall has a game tonight so he won't be in attendance.

ice-9
02-11-2009, 08:41 PM

Wasn't Bosh Georgia Tech??

heyman25
02-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Barnes news is fantastic! Knight and irving watch the atmosphere one of you could be playing at Duke in 2 years

Kedsy
02-11-2009, 08:51 PM

And Deron Williams played 3 years at Illinois.

COYS
02-11-2009, 11:55 PM
And Deron Williams played 3 years at Illinois.

I'm pretty sure this was just a joke.

soccerstud2210
02-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Barnes news is fantastic! Knight and irving watch the atmosphere one of you could be playing at Duke in 2 years
/
what was the barnes news?

heyman25
02-12-2009, 12:30 AM
Both him and his Mom were wearing Duke T shirts tonight at the game. The deal is not closed, but it sounds good. To come all the way from Ames Iowa,during the school year can't hurt to get a good player to enroll at Duke.

Oriole Way
02-12-2009, 01:14 AM
Both him and his Mom were wearing Duke T shirts tonight at the game. The deal is not closed, but it sounds good. To come all the way from Ames Iowa,during the school year can't hurt to get a good player to enroll at Duke.

Awesome news, but man I wish he could have seen a Duke win tonight.

watzone
02-12-2009, 02:16 AM
Barnes was there with mom and sister. He sat with Josh Hairston and Thornton. Kelly was there as well.

Oriole Way
02-12-2009, 04:27 AM
Barnes was there with mom and sister. He sat with Josh Hairston and Thornton. Kelly was there as well.

We need Andre Dawkins to put on the full court press with Barnes and seal the deal.

soccerstud2210
02-12-2009, 04:42 AM

thanks. good sign in light of a disappointing night

heyman25
02-12-2009, 05:12 AM
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/multi/first-look-unc-at-duke-0

photo 164 and 165 I think they all in this photo

Kedsy
02-12-2009, 10:13 AM

Didn't he reportedly wear a Kansas shirt on one of his visits there? You may be reading too much into this.

Diddy
02-12-2009, 11:53 AM
On a related, and somewhat skeezy (on my part) note, congrats to Ryan Kelly. They showed the ex-Steelers coach with a smoking hot HS aged girl that I can only assume is the daughter who is dating Ryan Kelly.

Doing the school proud Ryan.

Diddy
02-12-2009, 11:59 AM
On a serious note:

Yes, it would have been nice for the recruits to see a win. But, seeing a loss might not have been the worst thing either. We have glaring needs in the post and at the PG. And, by the time these guys are frosh, we will need restocking on the wing. Those needs were even more obvious in the loss last night against the team that will be the major comp while these kids are in school.

In other words, last night they could easily see where they would fit in, how much they were needed, and how much PT they would expect.

The atmosphere was great even after the outcome was sealed. It was a great environment for recruits.

Wins are nice, but, sometimes a loss can really sell a kid on his value. You have to know that someone from the staff took each of these kids aside and pointed out a Duke weakness and how that recruit would be the round peg for the round hole.

Reddevil
02-12-2009, 12:05 PM
On a related, and somewhat skeezy (on my part) note, congrats to Ryan Kelly. They showed the ex-Steelers coach with a smoking hot HS aged girl that I can only assume is the daughter who is dating Ryan Kelly.

Doing the school proud Ryan.

Meeting the "Dad" is/was always one of those weird situations. Bill Cower is the dad - wow! Ryan is ready for the challenges that await him. How does it go? - That what does not kill you makes you stronger. Sounds like he is already starring in his own romantic comedy.

Diddy
02-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Meeting the "Dad" is/was always one of those weird situations. Bill Cower is the dad - wow! Ryan is ready for the challenges that await him. How does it go? - That what does not kill you makes you stronger. Sounds like he is already starring in his own romantic comedy.

Say Whaat? A guy that can get you courtside seats to Duke-UNC in Cameron. Please. I would probably like the boyfriend more than my Daughter. Horrible. But true.

BD80
02-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Say Whaat? A guy that can get you courtside seats to Duke-UNC in Cameron. Please. I would probably like the boyfriend more than my Daughter. Horrible. But true.

I think Bill could get courtside seats if he asked. He doesn't need Ryan for tickets. But as a dad, I would think any Duke BBall player would be a worthy candidate.

CLT Devil
02-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Mods - Feel free to merge w/ other thread

Apparently Barnes wanted to surprise K last night and kept a visit to CIS very secret. My sources said he walked into K's office and surprised him...came to Durham paying his own expenses. Here's the kicker; he was spotted wearing a Duke shirt...which is obviously a great sign.

Watzone-No link, sorry pal. Take it for what it's worth.

His season ends Feb 20th so maybe after the payoffs we'll hear something. Just a little nugget of good news on this sad day.

CMS2478
02-12-2009, 02:27 PM

Apparently Barnes wanted to surprise K last night and kept a visit to CIS very secret. My sources said he walked into K's office and surprised him...came to Durham paying his own expenses. Here's the kicker; he was spotted wearing a Duke shirt...which is obviously a great sign.

His season ends Feb 20th so maybe after the payoffs we'll hear something. Just a little nugget of good news on this sad day.

Not to diminish anything you said, but all of that has pretty much been posted already. But thanks for the info anyway.

FerryFor50
02-12-2009, 02:30 PM

Hope you meant playoffs and not payoffs... :D

CLT Devil
02-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Yeah, didt see other thread....just got really excited

watzone
02-12-2009, 02:41 PM

Did you not watch the TV broadcast which showed Barnes with a Duke shirt on? As for the link reference, why call me out? It is nice to have a link to sources though. In this case, sources are abundant.

watzone
02-12-2009, 02:50 PM
We need Andre Dawkins to put on the full court press with Barnes and seal the deal.

Dre could not make it down. I too wish he was there to talk with Barnes.

Diddy
02-12-2009, 08:15 PM
I think Bill could get courtside seats if he asked. He doesn't need Ryan for tickets. But as a dad, I would think any Duke BBall player would be a worthy candidate.

I don't know. He is a NCSU grad and well wisher, so that is a no go. And tickets for UNC - Duke, in CIS no less, are worth MY (not inconsiderable) weight in gold. Especially those seats behind the bench.

K usually only lets huge celebrities get in with the recruits and FOPs(Friend of Program). Trump did it, but that was when his show and profile were huge. He would probably get a firm NO this year. Last year it was the Mannings. Both star QBs with higher profiles than Cowher, and friends of the new FB coach who K was helping out.

No, I think that without Kelley dating the daughter, Cowher doesn't watch Duke-UNC from behind the Duke bench. Any other game, MAYBE. RK is solely responsible for last night.

And that should be worth another 30 mins on the cerfew, right Billy?

yancem
02-12-2009, 08:30 PM

I don't know, I think flying to Durham on his own dime and surprising K is better sign than wearing a Duke T-shirt. I would imagine, if I was a recruit, I would wear a T-shirt from whatever campus I was visiting. Not sure I would spend the couple hundred bucks on a flight and hotel unless I was pretty serious about the school!

BD80
02-12-2009, 08:48 PM
...K usually only lets huge celebrities get in with the recruits and FOPs... Trump did it, but that was when his show and profile were huge. ... Last year it was the Mannings. Both star QBs with higher profiles than Cowher, and friends of the new FB coach who K was helping out.

Cowher is way bigger than both Mannings and Trump combined. Of course, I am a Steeler fan, but I am certain I am being totally objective.

Having Cowher around has got to be good for the team. I'd like to see "the Jaw" behind the bench next year chewing out the refs. Hmmm, there may be a risk of a bench technical.

roywhite
02-14-2009, 12:17 AM
http://www.whotv.com/sports/

Interview with Harrison Barnes on local Iowa station. Looks like he enjoyed his trip to CIS.

zingit
02-14-2009, 02:00 AM

Interview with Harrison Barnes on local Iowa station. Looks like he enjoyed his trip to CIS.

Nice. I don't follow recruiting much, but I like how he handled himself in that interview. He is well-spoken, giving gracious, concise answers with hardly any "um's" and "uh's" like you hear so often among kids (including myself).

sivartrenrag
02-14-2009, 02:15 AM

Awesome. I like the way he handles himself. His team-first attitude will fit right in at DU =D

Faison1
02-14-2009, 08:35 AM
Well, speaking as a parent, that kid must make his Mom and Dad proud! What a nice guy!! If there ever was a "Duke Kid", he's it! Well spoken, respectful, nice smile....and from what I've read, awesome basketball skills as well.....man, let's hope K can get him.......

Duke79UNLV77
02-14-2009, 04:37 PM
i saw another video interview of barnes a while back that was also very impressive. intelligent, thoughtful, humble, and composed. while he's not discussing his recruiting right now, methinks i saw a bit of a smile he couldn't quite suppress when he was asked about his trip to cameron.

would love to get him and josh smith!

Faison1
02-14-2009, 04:56 PM
I'm thinking Josh Smith may be a long shot, but I guess you never know. More realistically, I am hoping Mason Plumlee fills out into a low post scorer.......but I could be way off on that. Beyond Josh Smith, I have not noticed any truly wide-bodies we are after or who are considering Duke in the class of 2010.

Oriole Way
02-15-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm thinking Josh Smith may be a long shot, but I guess you never know. More realistically, I am hoping Mason Plumlee fills out into a low post scorer.......but I could be way off on that. Beyond Josh Smith, I have not noticed any truly wide-bodies we are after or who are considering Duke in the class of 2010.

I think Mason will be a force on the interior defensively pretty quickly, but it could take him a couple of years before he scores effectively on the inside. I really think we need a true post scorer of some sort within the next two classes.

Faison1
02-15-2009, 04:25 PM
I think Mason will be a force on the interior defensively pretty quickly, but it could take him a couple of years before he scores effectively on the inside. I really think we need a true post scorer of some sort within the next two classes.

Couldn't agree more, and not to beat a rotting horse, but we've needed that for years. Watzone knows WAY more than any of us, but I'm not seeing any wide body coming our way in the next 2 years. Let's hope I'm wrong.